Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This was Burrow and Zach Taylor's best game together.
ZT called a great game against a team that should've destroyed us, and Burrow was deadly accurate all game. Games like this mak eyou wonder if ZT is really bad or if our roster is just too bad to showcase his ability
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 11:18 PM)Housh Wrote: ZT called a great game against a team that should've destroyed us, and Burrow was deadly accurate all game. Games like this mak eyou wonder if ZT is really bad or if our roster is just too bad to showcase his ability

Everyone knows I think Taylor will be a great coach, in spite of his start. So take my homerism as you will, but a lot of what people criticize about ZT's playcalling is actually plays not having time to unfold. If you look at the games where our O line holds up even a little, those are his best called games. There's a reason...
Reply/Quote
ZT is pretty bad. That we have a defense that cannot stop anyone consistently and also our constant problems sealing the deal in close games reflect directly on ZT. ZTs plays also have contributed to the pass protection issues, such as the empty backfield sets which versus a blitz are setting the line up to fail.

One improvement this week and later in the Cleveland game was they stopped using empty backfield and kept Gio or Perine back with Burrow to pick up one blitzer - note the offense started running better when this happened.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I looked at the Titans message board during the game and they were praising Zac's play calling while crucifying Vrabel and calling for his head, at 5-2. Mellow

Zac has done a pretty good job calling the offense in 3 of the last 4 weeks, and while he deserves a lot of the criticism he's gotten IMO, he also deserves credit when he's earned it. As a head coach overall though, he still has a lot of work to do.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 11:28 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I looked at the Titans message board during the game and they were praising Zac's play calling while crucifying Vrabel and calling for his head, at 5-2. Mellow

Zac has done a pretty good job calling the offense in 3 of the last 4 weeks, and while he deserves a lot of the criticism he's gotten IMO, he also deserves credit when he's earned it. As a head coach overall though, he still has a lot of work to do.

I'm not gonna get into the brilliance of Zac Taylor, but calling for Vrabel's head?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Offensively he is starting to really call good games, or they are just executing better. Since Baltimore. I still have my doubts, but I think he at least deserves to finish the year, and of they keep trending up, he'll get another year.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 11:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Everyone knows I think Taylor will be a great coach, in spite of his start. So take my homerism as you will, but a lot of what people criticize about ZT's playcalling is actually plays not having time to unfold. If you look at the games where our O line holds up even a little, those are his best called games. There's a reason...

I think he has the potential to be a good coach too, but part of being good coach is making adjustments to the talent or lack there of. He can’t call long developing plays very often with this line. I think he is adjusting to that and starting to have success.

At some point he needs to be judged on his wins and losses. If this isn’t tge year, then it needs to happen next year for sure.
Reply/Quote
I’m glad we’re not obsessing about taking away the play calling from Taylor every week anymore. This offense is consistently scoring 30 points a game now. He might be better at it than we originally thought.

That said, he probably still should have been an OC before becoming a HC. Anarumo is still a huge problem, and that is on Zac. If he had been able to bring in a better DC we might actually be in the playoff hunt right now. With all those close losses (and a tie) a couple different calls here and there might have made a difference.

Reply/Quote
I'm willing to give Taylor some credit today and I'll just leave it at that.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 11:31 PM)jason Wrote: I'm not gonna get into the brilliance of Zac Taylor, but calling for Vrabel's head?

In fairness, it was in their gameday thread...and we know how level-headed those are.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 11:42 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: In fairness, it was in their gameday thread...and we know how those level headed those are.  Mellow

Yep, guys having meltdowns two plays into the game, calling for the benching of an all-pro after 1 bad play. Lots of level heads.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
I think ZT is getting better, the OL is getting better and really the whole offense is getting better as a whole.

What I like about ZT is he has been quick to take responsibility and admit that he needs to get better. And he has gotten better. Marvin was not like that. ZT may have a future here because he understands that he needs to keep working harder to improve as well and is very open about that. And having a QB like Burrow backing him up makes it all that much more legit. I think ZT may lead us to a good season next year. We could finish out strong this season even, but over all the team needs a few more pieces and to get healthy to be a playoff team. Another good offseason though, and we may be pretty sick under ol' ZT.
Reply/Quote
Outside of the ravens game, our offense has been decent/good all season. And it keeps getting better. I don't really get faulting zac for the offense.

We can put up 30 points a game. The issue is, we need a defense that isn't going to give up 31.

I think everybody is super happy about our ol today (and they should be), but I'm happier our defense decided to show up. I dunno if we just matched up well or of the trade woke some guys up.
Reply/Quote
My only complaint was abandoning the run for most of the first half. Can’t argue with the amount of points scored though.
Reply/Quote