Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
This why Mixon doesnt play on 3rd downs...
(09-20-2022, 01:56 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: No doubt! I like Mixon but they paid a LOT of money for essentially a two-down back. His pass-pro is literally the ONLY thing holding him back from being a true 3down complete RB, in my opinion.

Mixon would only have a $5.5 mill cap hit next year if released, freeing up over $7 mill...just sayin'.

I'm all about using that freed money to put toward another OL piece and just drafting a RB early.

I'm sure more confident in their ability to draft offensive weapons than I am OL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 02:13 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: he's still getting outsnapped by Perine. Everyone needs to quit dreaming

Exactly my point. I know he's not going to get the chance e but when he played last year he made things happen but so far through 2 games I don't think he's even had an offensive snap. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 02:13 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: he's still getting outsnapped by Perine. Everyone needs to quit dreaming

Yep, because Perine can block on third down and not truck our LT Facepalm

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 02:17 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, because Perine can block on third down and not truck our LT Facepalm

To be fair I think most of us on here could truck our LT. Let's not make it out to be some Herculean feat.

A Benny Hill-esque feat, for sure.
Reply/Quote
Yes, that is a telling example of just one play that failed. These film breakdowns are real eye openers. Watching a game on TV a person has no way of breaking it down like this guy did. And that is just one play. I assume the team reviews the same type game films on Mondays? Mixon looked just in the way on that play. He ran into Jonah then fell down.

They have alot to work on, where do they start? So they basically have 3 days to make corrections till the Jets?
Reply/Quote
People starting to understand the value benard had
Reply/Quote
Mixon needed to do better but I also agree that Burrow had a man open and did not throw it.. this is the combo of issues we are facing on offense.. back protection and slow delivery
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 04:59 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Mixon needed to do better but I also agree that Burrow had a man open and did not throw it.. this is the combo of issues we are facing on offense.. back protection and slow delivery

Mixon is usually a better blocker than that play showed. Like he should have been on Joe's other side to help with Parsons. The reviewer basically pointed out 3 goofs, Mixon, the OL backing up into Joe's lap forcing him out of what pocket there was and Joe missing on 2 possible throws to open targets. They might have been tight throws but Joe has made them before.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 04:44 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: People starting to understand the value benard had

I didn't. You can see on this forum I called out losing Gio as a big issue starting the day it happened. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 01:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s been a terrible blocker his entire time in the NFL, he’s not going to magically get better in year 6.

The 'ol "Billy Hamilton will learn to bunt and hit ground balls THIS time". Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
That video to me was more...wow the total offense is a mess than blame Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 01:44 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: Joe has to hit that middle field open throw.  Two high shell - you have to attack the middle of the field.

Yes, the blocking was good enough to get play off, Joe did not throw it especially to Hurst
Reply/Quote
Holy crap I cannot believe how open Sample was in the middle of the field. Looked like it would have been an easy 15 yard gain or so. What is Burrow doing? He was staring him down and he was open. Burrow has lost some of his mojo there is no question.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 07:59 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Holy crap I cannot believe how open Sample was in the middle of the field. Looked like it would have been an easy 15 yard gain or so. What is Burrow doing? He was staring him down and he was open. Burrow has lost some of his mojo there is no question.

I have bad eyes, thought it was Hurst..lol
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 06:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That video to me was more...wow the total offense is a mess than blame Mixon.

You're paid millions of dollars to not run into your tackle. That's a pee wee league mistake. I'm beginning to wonder if these guys haven't let the hype get to them. While it's one mistake by a guy I actually like.... that's bush league quite frankly. And why isn't our QB hitting wide open targets underneath? 

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 07:59 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Holy crap I cannot believe how open Sample was in the middle of the field. Looked like it would have been an easy 15 yard gain or so. What is Burrow doing? He was staring him down and he was open. Burrow has lost some of his mojo there is no question.

On a sack, he had both Perine and a TE wide open in the flats. He ignored them and tried for the deep ball and winds up on the turf. Something bad is going on there. The more film you watch, the more you realize he has dumpoff options on most plays and he's not taking it. Maybe it's his clock being messed up because his line is struggling. They need to figure it out as a collective.

Reply/Quote
Mixon is a liability if he can’t pass block. If he comes out every 3rd down passing play then we might as well hold up a neon sign saying we are passing. Everybody in the stadium knows what’s coming and either the defense pins it’s ears back or you have a Perrine running the ball right at Aaron Donald
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 12:05 AM)CincinnatiKid Wrote: Mixon is a liability if he can’t pass block. If he comes out every 3rd down passing play then we might as well hold up a neon sign saying we are passing. Everybody in the stadium knows what’s coming and either the defense pins it’s ears back or you have a Perrine running the ball right at Aaron Donald

Correct. It seems that all of the talk about telegraphing what we do on third down is a personnel issue. Now, the coaches gotta figure out how to mix up the personnel to not tip their hand as much. It seems counterproductive, but maybe Perine should be taking more snaps here and there earlier in a series. 

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 01:45 PM)Roland Wrote: Great breakdown, but I don't think it's just Mixon.  I've seen many plays where a lineman seems to think they're getting help from a back or a tight end blocking or at least chipping on their way out and they actively avoid the contact like they're focused on getting out.

This exactly one of the plays I was talking about.

Quote:EXHIBIT A: On Monday, offensive coordinator Brian Callahan ran through a great example of how lack of detail can turn into something big. How, you ask, can Micah Parsons go unblocked on third down and make Joe Burrow unload it?

When there's a failure to communicate. On this play, the Bengals needed tight end Drew Sample to go in the backfield. He wasn't lined up with right tackle La'el Collins and Collins didn't get the call.

"We were in a protection designed to help on the edges. We have no back in the backfield, so we were presented with a look where we had to have a back in the backfield so Drew came in," Callahan said. "Drew communicated to LC he was leaving. We never leave a tackle who is anticipating help. We always tell him we are leaving so he knows. We essentially changed the protection from a five-man protection to a six-man protection. Something we have done 100 times.

"It's not new for us. It looked like everything got communicated. Somehow, someway LC ended up staying down and (Parsons) came free which was, you'd ask him he'd say the same thing, that's an error we can't have on an early third down in the game, in particular. Disappointed that happened. Thought it got communicated well enough and something got crossed up."
https://www.bengals.com/news/dj-reader-ted-karras-take-lead-in-rebound-bid

It sounds like they're protecting Sample here.  He obviously did the wrong thing.  They changed the protection from a five-man protection to a six-man protection and Sample left anyway, leaving a five man protection with Collins thinking he had help to the outside. 
Reply/Quote
That play really does encapsulate everything wow
-Housh
Reply/Quote