Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
This why Mixon doesnt play on 3rd downs...
(09-21-2022, 12:16 AM)Wyche Wrote: Correct. It seems that all of the talk about telegraphing what we do on third down is a personnel issue. Now, the coaches gotta figure out how to mix up the personnel to not tip their hand as much. It seems counterproductive, but maybe Perine should be taking more snaps here and there earlier in a series. 

We need a true FB and go into a Pro Set-type formation. Yeah, that will cut our WRs on the field, but it would make us less predictable.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 01:46 AM)Roland Wrote: This exactly one of the plays I was talking about.

https://www.bengals.com/news/dj-reader-ted-karras-take-lead-in-rebound-bid

It sounds like they're protecting Sample here.  He obviously did the wrong thing.  They changed the protection from a five-man protection to a six-man protection and Sample left anyway, leaving a five man protection with Collins thinking he had help to the outside. 

How could Sample been wrong?  It was obvious Joe moved him inside.  

Reply/Quote
Teams know our play calls based on our personnel. It's a huge liability.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 01:46 AM)Roland Wrote: This exactly one of the plays I was talking about.

It sounds like they're protecting Sample here.  He obviously did the wrong thing.  They changed the protection from a five-man protection to a six-man protection and Sample left anyway, leaving a five man protection with Collins thinking he had help to the outside. 

Did they?  cause even the guard looked confused when Collins was helping him
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 06:27 AM)Interceptor Wrote: We need a true FB and go into a Pro Set-type formation. Yeah, that will cut our WRs on the field, but it would make us less predictable.

I wouldn't hate it!

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 07:09 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Teams know our play calls based on our personnel. It's a huge liability.

I agree and this single sentence sums things up well. This isn't the first time this has been mentioned here. Joelist has said this for over a year now. Why can the coaches not see this and make changes? They shouldn't have to rewrite the entire playbook do they?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 01:46 AM)Roland Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/dj-reader-ted-karras-take-lead-in-rebound-bid

"Reader once started 0-3 with the Texans and made the playoffs."

Foreshadowing perhaps? Hmm

Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 06:54 AM)casear2727 Wrote: How could Sample been wrong?  It was obvious Joe moved him inside.  

I assumed that Joe moved him inside to give him leverage on that outside rusher.  Maybe I'm reading it wrong.  When Callahan says "five man protection" vs "six man protection" is that the number of blockers or the number of rushers?
Reply/Quote

reread that last paragraph... Collins did the wrong thing 
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 04:28 PM)Roland Wrote: I assumed that Joe moved him inside to give him leverage on that outside rusher.  Maybe I'm reading it wrong.  When Callahan says "five man protection" vs "six man protection" is that the number of blockers or the number of rushers?

They were showing a double A gap blitz that is why Joe pulled him inside -somehow LC didnt catch the change in blocking scheme.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 01:49 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Yea, I agree. Dalvin Cook, Alvin Kamara, Joe Mixon, Kareem Hunt, Javonte Williams, Nick Chubb, D'Andre Swift, Johnathan Taylor, AJ Dillon and Antonio Gibson were drafted on day 2 in the drafts from 2017 to 2021, and Breece Hall, Kenneth Walker III, and James Cook went in the 2nd round this past year, with only a hand full of busts in between them,

There were a total of 29 RBs taken in the second day of the draft from '17-'21.  How many of them can you name?

The fact is that there were more busts than stars.  Only 13 of the 29 have averaged more than 50 rushing yards per game.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 07:09 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Teams know our play calls based on our personnel. It's a huge liability.

(09-21-2022, 09:32 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: I agree and this single sentence sums things up well. This isn't the first time this has been mentioned here. Joelist has said this for over a year now. Why can the coaches not see this and make changes? They shouldn't have to rewrite the entire playbook do they?

Please explain.

I see us run lots of different plays with the same personnel.  How can you tell what we are going to do based on personnel?

Why was our offense so much better against the Steelers than the Patriots offense?  Do the Patriots also tell opposing teams what plays they are going to run?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 10:41 PM)casear2727 Wrote: They were showing a double A gap blitz that is why Joe pulled him inside -somehow LC didnt catch the change in blocking scheme.

Could be as simple as LC didn't hear it.

Reply/Quote
Trade for Gio lol
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2022, 02:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Trade for Gio lol

If Evans was a good pass protector, he would be a good version of Bernard.

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2022, 02:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Trade for Gio lol
I believe hes on IR atm
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 01:14 PM)casear2727 Wrote: [Image: Screen-Shot-2022-09-20-at-12-11-04-PM.png]

A good breakdown of how discombobulated we are in the passing game right now, view the breakdown of this play here:

https://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/1571920982411034624/vid/1280x720/oCkn1Yk0stEzvowX.mp4?tag=14

Saw this play in another thread, was wondering wtf he was doing. Thanks man
Reply/Quote
Gio was a tough smart RB who could block, catch and good vision. I think would have been a fine every down back in this offense. Wish we still had him.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2022, 01:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Please explain.

I see us run lots of different plays with the same personnel.  How can you tell what we are going to do based on personnel?

Why was our offense so much better against the Steelers than the Patriots offense?  Do the Patriots also tell opposing teams what plays they are going to run?

Look at the stats. The percent of plays that we pass when Hurst is in and the percent of run plays when Sample is in. The same with Mixon and Perine. Mixon can't pass block as well.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2022, 01:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There were a total of 29 RBs taken in the second day of the draft from '17-'21.  How many of them can you name?

The fact is that there were more busts than stars.  Only 13 of the 29 have averaged more than 50 rushing yards per game.

I was referring primarily to 2nd round picks. There are a few guys in the early 3rd round range that I included, but I did not want to include the end of the third round because, you're right, that's when it starts to drop off.

From 2017 to 2021, 13 running backs have been drafted in the 2nd round. They are:

Javonte Williams (generally considered a good player)
D'Andre Swift (generally considered a good player)
Johnathan Taylor (generally considered an elite player)
Cam Akers (Trending towards a bust at this point)
JK Dobbins (When healthy is considered a good player)
AJ Dillon (generally considered a good player)
Miles Sanders (generally considered a good player)
Nick Chubb (generally considered an elite player)
Ronald Jones (definite bust)
Kerryon Johnson (definite bust)
Derrius Guice (definite bust)
Dalvin Cook (Generally considered a good player)
Joe Mixon (Generally considered a good player)

So, of 13 players, that's 7 solid starters, 2 elite starters, 1 trending towards being a bust and 3 busts.

Based on these numbers, I think my statement that there have only been a hand full of busts when you take a RB in the 2nd round in recent years (granted, I discussed 3rd rounders, but my original post was explicitly in favor of drafting a 2nd round RB every 3 to 4 years) was appropriate.

There still weren't that many busts in the 3rd round, but it's more likely you'll get a change of pace back / role player like Zach Moss, Devin Singletary, David Montgomery, Damien Harris, D'Onte Foreman or James Connor rather than a "feature back" like Kareem Hunt or Alvin Kamara.

Sorry for the delay in response. I needed time to look through all the drafts and the players and I just haven't had time recently until today.
Reply/Quote