Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts On Ross and Who Would You Have Taken?
I can't believe the draft fell the way that it did. Obviously the Ross pick wasn't a surprise since Lapham had selected him and he is usually spot on or really close. I think Ross has a chance to be a difference maker on the field but the injuries scare me a lot. If healthy this guy improves the offense tremendously. With that said I would taken Jonathan Allen or Malik Hooker. I thought both guys were top 5 talents and if we were truly going to stick to "Best Player Available" I don't see how it wasn't one of these guys. Being an Ohio State I wanted Hooker the most but didn't think that was as much of an option as Allen would have been for this team since we have Iloka and Williams on long term contracts. That is my assessment and thoughts on what I would have done. Don't hate the pick of Ross but he better stay healthy after using a top 10 pick on him.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 09:25 AM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I can't believe the draft fell the way that it did. Obviously the Ross pick wasn't a surprise since Lapham had selected him and he is usually spot on or really close. I think Ross has a chance to be a difference maker on the field but the injuries scare me a lot. If healthy this guy improves the offense tremendously. With that said I would taken Jonathan Allen or Malik Hooker. I thought both guys were top 5 talents and if we were truly going to stick to "Best Player Available" I don't see how it wasn't one of these guys. Being an Ohio State I wanted Hooker the most but didn't think that was as much of an option as Allen would have been for this team since we have Iloka and Williams on long term contracts. That is my assessment and thoughts on what I would have done. Don't hate the pick of Ross but he better stay healthy after using a top 10 pick on him.

I'd hate to think that the team didn't run a fine tooth comb through Ross's medical update. I agree totally though, wouldn't run any narrow slants with him for a bit, I'd run eifert up the seam and let him stretch the field. I can live with the Ross pick, just like I've been vying for Mixon, I think Cook will be gone in top of 2nd. If they feel that he is their guy, regardless if he is BPA or not I'll live with it.

I do feel like the bengals are still sitting pretty this draft, run on QB early and WR will help a bunch. 

If health was the concern I'm sure names like OJ Howard and Reddick were towards the top. If not I'm sure Allen and Foster were were being discussed. Hats off to John Lynch, was praying bengals would have made the move on Foster at end of first, great play IMO. 

I'm interested to see how McCarron's current trade value is looking. I feel there are at least 4 teams that need QB and chose not to do so. I know Cousins has a hefty price tag, as well I don't know where they envision Kizer on their board. I'm sure one of the teams at top of 2nd will take him. This will be an interesting night as well.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals were head strong on adding his speed. Allen was a tough pass, but get the feeling Ross was their guy regardless.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 09:59 AM)Goalpost Wrote: The Bengals were head strong on adding his speed.  Allen was a tough pass, but get the feeling Ross was their guy regardless.

Yeh, they already were set on Ross in what didn't appear to be a position of need. Other teams adjusted, the Bengals were apparently content drafting a guy at least ten spots too high. They should have taken Allen and traded back into the first to take Ross if they were that set on him,imo. After other teams who didn't need a defender passed they could have also traded up and taken Allen if they stayed with Ross at  9. Instead they let what may have been the second best defender in the draft go on past them. Must be hoping for a miraculous Geno type pickup in about the fourth round. Last night, Cleveland looked like us, and we looked like Cleveland.
Reply/Quote
I would have taken the Chiefs offer to the Bills. I assume they would have been willing to pay the same price for pick 9 and offered it to us.

In that scenario still would have been able to pick Reuben Foster plus and extra 3 and 1 next year.

Could have even packaged picks to come back up from 27 to grab OJ. Just spitballing.
Reply/Quote
When our pick came up I was texting my brother saying JONATHAN ALLEN!!! But I was really okay with the Ross pick. I think Ross adds a missing dimension to our offense. As will Mixon. Wink
Reply/Quote
I strongly believe that the bengals did their research thuroughly with the injuries in regard to ross.  my problem is that we just went at 9 for a guy who 5'10 188lb offensive player in todays nfl.  This kid will never last a season.  I dont know a player of his size who has shown worthy of a #9 selection in this league.  Yes he has world class speed, but u cant get away from everyone always and IMO ross couple with his checkered past of injuries is one play away from being knocked into the next county.  I am NOT a fan of this pick at all.  It makes no bengals sense as well in how they traditionally have shown us they do things.  one thing i will take from this.  Lap knows the draft pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 11:12 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: I strongly believe that the bengals did their research thuroughly with the injuries in regard to ross.  my problem is that we just went at 9 for a guy who 5'10 188lb offensive player in todays nfl.  This kid will never last a season.  I dont know a player of his size who has shown worthy of a #9 selection in this league.  Yes he has world class speed, but u cant get away from everyone always and IMO ross couple with his checkered past of injuries is one play away from being knocked into the next county.  I am NOT a fan of this pick at all.  It makes no bengals sense as well in how they traditionally have shown us they do things.  one thing i will take from this.  Lap knows the draft pick.

OBJ is 5'11 and almost weighs the same as Ross. AB is an inch shorter and 6 pounds lighter than Ross. Those are just two guys off the top of my head who are smaller receivers. Not to mention TY, Cooks, Jackson. So I disagree with your notion that he doesn't last a season. 
Reply/Quote
Before you see this in Smack talk...

[Image: 18119453_1495481663823390_50530622477430...e=59809600]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 11:24 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Before you see this in Smack talk...

[Image: 18119453_1495481663823390_50530622477430...e=59809600]

I'd rather he chase them down than Dalton...
Reply/Quote
Hassan Reddick. A true 3 down line backer that will impact every play the opposing offense is involved in. Not a wr who will be targeted 6 to 10 times a game and a bystander for the 50% of plays he is on the field that are running plays. But then again, I tend to favor substance over style.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:01 PM)Burma Wrote: Hassan Reddick.  A true 3 down line backer that will impact every play the opposing offense is involved in.  Not a wr who will be targeted 6 to 10 times a game and a bystander for the 50% of plays he is on the field that are running plays.  But then again, I tend to favor substance over style.

Reddick wasn't a fit in a 4-3. He has limited coverage experience to play Mike or Will and as a Sam he is a waste of a pick that early.
Reply/Quote
I'm very happy with Ross. I had Allen a little higher than him, and Hooker a little lower.

The thing that all the people who are keyed on defense are missing is that we were 24th in scoring offense and 8th in scoring defense. I don't see how anyone can claim that offensive playmakers aren't a need given that fact. When you look at things in that light, it's pretty easy to see why they went Ross over Allen and Hooker .
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:16 PM)Au165 Wrote: Reddick wasn't a fit in a 4-3. He has limited coverage experience to play Mike or Will and as a Sam he is a waste of a pick that early.

Bunk. He showed at the senior bowl he has the ability to play coverage effectively and was repeatedly praised by evaluators this predraft season for his coverage abilities. And the MLB is a fading title. If we spend the bulk of defensive snaps in a nickle there is no true MLB in which case the arbitrary title of his position doesn't matter. On plays where he is on the field in a true 4-3 he can rush the passer from the SAM or drop into coverage. 

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:26 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'm very happy with Ross.  I had Allen a little higher than him, and Hooker a little lower.  

The thing that all the people who are keyed on defense are missing is that we were 24th in scoring offense and 8th in scoring defense.  I don't see how anyone can claim that offensive playmakers aren't a need given that fact.  When you look at things in that light, it's pretty easy to see why they went Ross over Allen and Hooker .

Exactly... and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't take a defensive player until the 4th.

C12Schleyer

[Image: 175fb1ebe161ecda7fb32824e3682755.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I really think we transform our offense into a 40 plus passing attempts per game now.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:31 PM)Burma Wrote: Bunk. He showed at the senior bowl he has the ability to play coverage effectively and was repeatedly praised by evaluators this predraft season for his coverage abilities. And the MLB is a fading title. If we spend the bulk of defensive snaps in a nickle there is no true MLB in which case the arbitrary title of his position doesn't matter. On plays where he is on the field in a true 4-3 he can rush the passer from the SAM or drop into coverage. 

Was going to get into it, but your "there is no MLB in nickle" made it pointless. FYI there is a MLB in all formations because there are certain responsibilities assigned to each position based on formations and coverage.
Reply/Quote
Don't mind Ross, but wish they could've traded down for more picks (even in next year's draft) and gotten him later. According to Marvin, NOBODY called about trading with Bengals. Not really sure what that says about Bengals given the trades made the next few picks.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:56 PM)Au165 Wrote: Was going to get into it, but your "there is no MLB in nickle" made it pointless. FYI there is a MLB in all formations because there are certain responsibilities assigned to each position based on formations and coverage.

If you desire to be utterly pedantic then please get into it, amuse yourself. If you instead realise that your 2 best LB are on the field in a nickle situation regardless of what ever traditional title they hold then you are right getting into it is pointless. 

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 01:06 PM)Burma Wrote: If you desire to be utterly pedantic then please get into it, amuse yourself. If you instead realise that your 2 best LB are on the field in a nickle situation regardless of what ever traditional title they hold then you are right getting into it is pointless. 

If you believe that a "Mike" is simply the name of where they line up and not the responsibilities of the person in the position then this is pointless. My point is he can't play the responsibilities associated with the "Mike" position. Thinking you know how football works, and actually knowing are very different things.
Reply/Quote