Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts from Brennan
Marvin will go down as the best HC and most disappointment HC in Bengals history.

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/football/bengals/brennan-lewis-is-both-the-best-coach-and-the-most-disappointing
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
lol he's defiantly not the best coach in Bengals history.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 01:02 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: lol he's defiantly not the best coach in Bengals history.

Agreed...you'd have to call it the Mike Brown era, and even then Marvin was here for over half of it.
Reply/Quote
I could see the argument, he overcame insane working conditions to make the perennial loser into a respectable team for a good run. His inability to ever move those respectable teams into anything else will always be the great disappointment. One has to wonder if the conditions prohibited him from taking them to the next step. I'm not sure we will ever know.
Reply/Quote
Marvin wasn't even the best coach on the team over the last decade.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 01:19 PM)Au165 Wrote: I could see the argument, he overcame insane working conditions to make the perennial loser into a respectable team for a good run. His inability to ever move those respectable teams into anything else will always be the great disappointment. One has to wonder if the conditions prohibited him from taking them to the next step. I'm not sure we will ever know.

I doubt it very much. Even with tough working conditions, Marvin still lost 80% of the "big games" he coached due to infuriating coaching blunders. Whether it be a lack of adjustments, horrific playcalling, or simply not having the team prepared, the constant collapses we saw were a direct result of inferior coaching. 
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 01:02 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: lol he's defiantly not the best coach in Bengals history.

Has the most winning seasons of any bengals head coach and playoff appearences.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 01:31 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Has the most winning seasons of any bengals head coach and playoff appearences.

He's also been here almost double of any other coach. I would take Paul Brown, Sam Wyche and Forrest Gregg over Lewis.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 01:31 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Has the most winning seasons of any bengals head coach and playoff appearences.

Without reading the article, you'd have to assume that's what they're basing their claim on. With that said, I'd consider the coaches that took the Bengals to the Super Bowl has better than Merv.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

So what. Trent Dilfer has more SB wins than Dan Mario; was he a better QB?
Reply/Quote
I wonder when all is said and done if the Marvin Lewis era is considered the "golden age" while Mike Brown is the owner.
Mike Brown is 82 years old so he still may never see a playoff victory while being owner.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

So what. Trent Dilfer has more SB wins than Dan Mario; was he a better QB?
Reply/Quote
It's weird how bipolar Marvin's tenure has been.

He has appeared in the most playoff games in team history, but didn't manage a single victory.

He has the most seasons with a winning record (7) but also the most without a winning record (8).

He set the team record for consecutive playoff appearances, but also set the NFL record for consecutive playoff losses. 

Marvin has done some very good things during his time here, but it's hard to call him the best coach in team history when both Wyche and Gregg won playoff games and took teams to the Super Bowl. There's also a guy named Paul Brown, who started and built a team that would become pretty good in it's own right.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 01:29 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I doubt it very much. Even with tough working conditions, Marvin still lost 80% of the "big games" he coached due to infuriating coaching blunders. Whether it be a lack of adjustments, horrific playcalling, or simply not having the team prepared, the constant collapses we saw were a direct result of inferior coaching. 

Would a couple nicely paid free agent shave overcome some of those issues? 
Reply/Quote
Interesting take on Geno Atkins by Brennan.
Reply/Quote
Lol Merv has been HC of the Bengals for 15 of their 50 seasons. 30% of their entire existence. So of course he owns some records (good and bad) due to his incredible longevity. For best head coach, I'd have to go with these coaches over Marv:

Forrest Gregg - Only coached 4 seasons, but posted a .561 win %, 2 division titles, 2 playoff wins and narrowly lost a SB.

Sam Wyche - His regular season track record was Marvin-esque, but when he got to the playoffs, he actually did something, winning games in both appearances and nearly winning a title. He was an innovator (Marvin isn't) and had more charisma than Marv could ever dream of having.

Paul Brown - He was essentially Marvin Lewis (as a Bengals coach). Record right around .500 and 0-3 in the playoffs (he coached half as many seasons). I give Paul the edge because he did this with an expansion team in a division with the Steelers when they were in the middle of a dynasty.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

forest Gregg
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 01:38 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Without reading the article, you'd have to assume that's what they're basing their claim on. With that said, I'd consider the coaches that took the Bengals to the Super Bowl has better than Merv.

sure they had great years but how many back to back winning seasons could any of them put together 2?
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 01:51 PM)motoarch Wrote: So what.  Trent Dilfer has more SB wins than Dan Mario; was he a better QB?

According to every NFL pundit... Rings make you great so yes.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 02:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Lol Merv has been HC of the Bengals for 15 of their 50 seasons. 30% of their entire existence. So of course he owns some records (good and bad) due to his incredible longevity. For best head coach, I'd have to go with these coaches over Marv:

Forrest Gregg - Only coached 4 seasons, but posted a .561 win %, 2 division titles, 2 playoff wins and narrowly lost a SB.

Sam Wyche - His regular season track record was Marvin-esque, but when he got to the playoffs, he actually did something, winning games in both appearances and nearly winning a title. He was an innovator (Marvin isn't) and had more charisma than Marv could ever dream of having.

Paul Brown - He was essentially Marvin Lewis (as a Bengals coach). Record right around .500 and 0-3 in the playoffs (he coached half as many seasons). I give Paul the edge because he did this with an expansion team in a division with the Steelers when they were in the middle of a dynasty.

Interesting take on the 3 coaches named.
1) Forrest Gregg - was old school back when he coached, you performed or was canned. Players were actually a little intimidated by him. Had an OC that could call a game                             without a HC butting in.

2) Sam Wyche - Was way ahead of his time here. Very innovative as a play caller and HC.
3) Paul Brown -  Very Innovative and Players also were very intimidated by him..

Marvin Lewis - 15 years here, brought some winning seasons back to Cincy, but couldn't win big games. got stale and refused to adjust to a new era of football. Players not scared to lose their jobs. Never brought anything innovating to the table.
Reply/Quote