Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts from the Bears game.
Oh, and Andy looked very sharp too. The neck injury caused him to only be in one series - sounds like that injury happened in the goal line pileup on his TD run.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:07 PM)kramer1 Wrote: Johnson has been out a month. Burfict has been out forever and will probably not be available til November 1st. Peko stinks. LB'er is a huge question mark. This team is gonna give up some points, I think.

The back end of the defense will be very good.  The LB situation will come together.  Paulie will have to be creative to get to the QB consistently. 

We might give up some points.  But I think it's far from bleak.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Oh, and Andy also looked very sharp. The runs and throws were both on target and the neck injury seems to have come in the goal line pileup on his TD run.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:05 PM)McC Wrote: His biggest contribution is not dropping punts.  Seems like we've gotten to a place in our roster development where a guy might have to bring more than that to the table.

He's been a very solid return man- both kick offs and punts. If he's so mediocre, then why hasn't anyone else been able to do a better job? Nobody they've tried has been able to do better than him.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:16 PM)Joe Pong Wrote: He's been a very solid return man- both kick offs and punts. If he's so mediocre, then why hasn't anyone else been able to do a better job? Nobody they've tried has been able to do better than him.

How hard are they really trying when Tate is getting so many returns?  Why didn't Moore get any?

If Tate offered much as a receiver, it might be different.  What we're talking about is a backup return man.  If they really need a return, they send Adam back there.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:02 PM)Joe Pong Wrote: Why wouldn't Tate make the team? And why do you have a problem with it? I would say he's a lock.

The more I watch, the more I agree.

Last night Tate was the gunner on the punt team (1st team punt team) so now he has added another spot he fills. My point is special teams is more valuable than some realize and Tate:

Kickoff Returner
Punt Returner
WR
Gunner on punt team

That would be a lot of spots for Simmons to fill and why a different 5th or 6th WR may help our WR depth, our special teams could take a hit if we cut Tate.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:19 PM)McC Wrote: How hard are they really trying when Tate is getting so many returns?  Why didn't Moore get any?

If Tate offered much as a receiver, it might be different.  What we're talking about is a backup return man.  If they really need a return, they send Adam back there.

Why would you want Moore? He contributes even less than Tate as a WR.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:24 PM)Joe Pong Wrote: Why would you want Moore? He contributes even less than Tate as a WR.

He didn't seem to get much of a chance.  And it's pretty safe to say he's had a better career than Tate.

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:26 PM)McC Wrote: He didn't seem to get much of a chance.  And it's pretty safe to say he's had a better career than Tate.

As a receiver no doubt, but as a special teams it is not close on who has provided more as Tate wins by a landslide.

Why no chances? It is simple, you win opportunity in practice by proving to the coaching staff you deserve a look and it appears Moore has failed to make the coaches give him a shot most likely due to poor performance in practice or maybe even not being impressive at his main job WR and they are looking to cut Moore so why waste time on him as a possible special teams players when he won't be on the roster.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I've never ever understood the Tate bashing. A very good returner and always shows up when given a chance on the field.

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:31 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: As a receiver no doubt, but as a special teams it is not close on who has provided more as Tate wins by a landslide.

Why no chances? It is simple, you win opportunity in practice by proving to the coaching staff you deserve a look and it appears Moore has failed to make the coaches give him a shot most likely due to poor performance in practice or maybe even not being impressive at his main job WR and they are looking to cut Moore so why waste time on him as a possible special teams players when he won't be on the roster.

Well, last year, when we had to rely on him as a receiver, look how awesomely he stepped up.  That's the problem--if he's on the roster as a WR, you might actually have to use him as one.

Reply/Quote
I enjoyed last nights game very much, I think it was a testament to how good this offense can be when it is clicking. One QB goes down and the 2nd one comes in with no dropoff whatsoever. I think it really speaks to the talent we have at every position on offense... as McCarron said, "it's a special group of guys". Also, the more that we get Burkhead involved, the more unpredictable this offense will be. Green Sanu Jones Eifert and Burk.. that's all you really need.. sprinkle in Gio and pound it with Hill.. you don't NEED anything else.

As for the defense, I think this is what we are going to see most the year. Not many turnovers but sound defense that gets off the field quickly. Hopefully the corners start making plays on the ball and we can become dominant.

I have been very happy with the talent defensively that we have acquired this draft. I think we found FOUR future contributers in DeShawn Williams, PJD, CHRIS CHARTER, and Josh Shaw. All of these guys have played well in my eyes and could make an impact 2-3 years down the road. I've been impressed.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:34 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: I've never ever understood the Tate bashing. A very good returner and always shows up when given a chance on the field.

It likely stems from his fair catch at the 2 yard line a few years back, that and some keystone cop decisions, but

granted, he played much better last year and flashed some skillz.

IMO, PacMan is still the man when we're needing to flip the field on punts...hoping to see Mario Alford fill that need,
since we don't want to lose #24 on the defensive side of the ball.
Reply/Quote
Also, wanted to start a thread about this, but it was only one drive so I'll hold off.

BUT

Let Andy run more. Honestly I think Andy does better when he gets his blood pumpin running the option. Andy has always played better in the games where he scrambles a little bit. Besides, if he gets a strained neck you have McCarron in the wings.

I say, let the red demon loose, let him run wild and make plays!!
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 02:01 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Also, wanted to start a thread about this, but it was only one drive so I'll hold off.

BUT

Let Andy run more. Honestly I think Andy does better when he gets his blood pumpin running the option. Andy has always played better in the games where he scrambles a little bit. Besides, if he gets a strained neck you have McCarron in the wings.

I agree and would add that he is at his best in the no huddle.

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 02:01 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Also, wanted to start a thread about this, but it was only one drive so I'll hold off.

BUT

(08-30-2015, 02:03 PM)McC Wrote: I agree and would add that he is at his best in the no huddle.

Absolutely to both points.

Reply/Quote
Sorry about the multiple posts - looks like I had a browser hiccup... :)
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 12:54 PM)Rattler Wrote: The amount of penalties was unacceptable, I know it's pre-season but for the dress rehearsal game, far too many.

The O-line had a poor showing.

To be fair that Triplett crew was on some flag happy BS!!!
Reply/Quote
We should keep 5 receivers. Big 3, Tate and Little. Alford can develop on the practice squad. He's not going to get picked up off of waivers. Kumerow to practice squad or 6th receiver.
Lamur is odd man out.
Unable to force a turnover from Cutler of all people. Troubling.
Snaps have looked good.
Should see more of our young TE's in the final preseason game. Would like to see CJ show something. The offseason hype raised expectations.
Team bounced back after poor showing. One of the only things they've been consistent in during the Dalton/Green era.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:16 PM)Joe Pong Wrote: He's been a very solid return man- both kick offs and punts. If he's so mediocre, then why hasn't anyone else been able to do a better job? Nobody they've tried has been able to do better than him.

I'm one of the bigger Tate supporters on the boards, but Pacman is a much better punt returner.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote