Take Herbert instead
0%
0 0%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on Joe Burrow
Andy didnt play like he did against the Jets. Just average today with a couple weak throws. I feel like we pretty much have to draft Burrow. Hell maybe we take Herbert, Herbert throws alot of dirtballs, but he's a gunslinger that makes alot of risky throws. Joe Burrow on the other hand throws alot of quick slants, and check downs. If his first look isnt there he looks to run, that doesnt always work in the pros. His deep ball is good sometimes then sometimes it underthrown. I am really leery about Burrow. Check this game out against Miami last year

https://youtu.be/AQP8VQ85JTk
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 08:06 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Andy didnt play like he did against the Jets. Just average today with a couple weak throws. I feel like we pretty much have to draft Burrow. Hell maybe we take Herbert, Herbert throws alot of dirtballs, but he's a gunslinger that makes alot of risky throws. Joe Burrow on the other hand throws alot of quick slants, and check downs. If his first look isnt there he looks to run, that doesnt always work in the pros. His deep ball is good sometimes then sometimes it underthrown. I am really leery about Burrow. Check this game out against Miami last year

So much of this post is wrong.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Quote:QUARTERBACK
First Team: Joe Burrow, LSU
The nation's highest-graded quarterback to every level of the field, Burrow was perhaps the best quarterback we've had the privilege of grading since we started grading college in 2014, and that includes the likes of Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray and a few other first-round picks at the position. Burrow lit up every defense he saw this season, including several top-10 matchups. On all throws targeted at least 10 yards downfield, Burrow finished the season 101-of-152 for 2,475 yards, 31 touchdowns against just six interceptions and 29 big-time throws, fielding a ridiculous 69.1% adjusted completion percentage in the process to lead the nation.

He's got the Heisman Trophy all but locked up for good reason, as Burrow averaged a depth of target of 9.2 yards downfield and still finished with the nation's second-highest overall adjusted completion percentage. He set all sorts of PFF accuracy records in 2019 and finished the regular season with a standard completion percentage figure of 78.3%. There was no player more dominant for the entire length of the season than Burrow, and the hardware will certainly follow.

His average depth to throw is 9.2 yards downfield that means hes throwing less quick screens slants and checkdowns. On throws 10 yards or more he has a 69% accuracy which is a crazy stat...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 08:13 PM)Synric Wrote: So much of this post is wrong.

Whatever you say.   ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 08:31 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Whatever you say.   ThumbsUp

Stats back me up.

Reply/Quote
Folks really need to stop trying to talk themselves out of Burrow. If the Bengals pick #1, he's the guy.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 08:33 PM)Synric Wrote: Stats back me up.

Yep, I seem to remember refuting that same exact post, in a another thread, just this morning.  Some will simply pretend that they saw something totally different, and deny the existence of any information that refutes their claims, so long as they can continue to "be right", rather than get it right.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Why would you use the 1st start he had for LSU from over a year ago? A lot has changed since then, he didn't even get a full summer camp before that game.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 08:06 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Andy didnt play like he did against the Jets. Just average today with a couple weak throws. I feel like we pretty much have to draft Burrow. Hell maybe we take Herbert, Herbert throws alot of dirtballs, but he's a gunslinger that makes alot of risky throws. Joe Burrow on the other hand throws alot of quick slants, and check downs. If his first look isnt there he looks to run, that doesnt always work in the pros. His deep ball is good sometimes then sometimes it underthrown. I am really leery about Burrow. Check this game out against Miami last year

Nothing personal but this is a weak thread with a weak, inaccurate premise. 

Using a game from last year? C'mon man. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 09:18 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Nothing personal but this is a weak thread with a weak, inaccurate premise. 

Using a game from last year? C'mon man. 

Because our OP had to dig deep, all the way back to Joe's first game with a new team, fresh off of a transfer.  Not only that, that was the team's first game with a completely new offensive system, after for forever going with a power I, run based offense.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I WANT Chase Young this year and Justin Fields next. But we can't guarantee the #1 or 2 pick next year, so take the QB in front of you, Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 08:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, I seem to remember refuting that same exact post, in a another thread, just this morning.  Some will simply pretend that they saw something totally different, and deny the existence of any information that refutes their claims, so long as they can continue to "be right", rather than get it right.

(12-08-2019, 09:17 PM)blt4584 Wrote: Why would you use the 1st start he had for LSU from over a year ago? A lot has changed since then, he didn't even get a full summer camp before that game.

^Exactly^

There's so much BS posted about Burrow it's not even funny.  Couldn't beat out Haskins or Barrett. Throws nothing but check downs. Not very athletic. Looks to run at the drop of a hat. One year wonder. 

They either don't know the JB story, haven't really watched him play, or are just outright trying to drag him down.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 10:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: ^Exactly^

There's so much BS posted about Burrow it's not even funny.  Couldn't beat out Haskins or Barrett. Throws nothing but check downs. Not very athletic. Looks to run at the drop of a hat. One year wonder. 

They either don't know the JB story, haven't really watched him play, or are just outright trying to drag him down.

Honestly, had Ryan Day been in charge one year sooner?  I think Joe Burrow would still be a Buckeye, and Jason Fields would have transferred somewhere other than OSU.  Urban Meyer was always wanting the athletic QB in his offense, Day seems to like his QB to be more of a "Pro Style", drop back and run as a last option type.  Some will disagree, as Fields proved to be very mobile this season, but just stay tuned and you'll see what I mean.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 10:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Honestly, had Ryan Day been in charge one year sooner?  I think Joe Burrow would still be a Buckeye, and Jason Fields would have transferred somewhere other than OSU.  Urban Meyer was always wanting the athletic QB in his offense, Day seems to like his QB to be more of a "Pro Style", drop back and run as a last option type.  Some will disagree, as Fields proved to be very mobile this season, but just stay tuned and you'll see what I mean.

Agree, Urban was always looking for Tebow 2.0
Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals will draft Burrow; but Herbert is a Mike Brown type of QB because of the strong arm. Accuracy be damn. With that said, If the Bengals miss out on Burrow, I am leaning toward Andrew Thomas over Young. Thomas is a beast LT.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I think you draft Burrow and bring his OC with him.
Reply/Quote
If we keep the #1 pick than it's Burrow but I still think trading the pick should be looked at it.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I went no only because i want to trade back. I hope we get the #1 pick and trade it and trade again. Load up on draft picks for this year and next.

Having said that. We probably wouldnt trade back. I finally decided to open my mind to the possibility of Burrow today.. And in about half the time it took Dalton to throw the ball out of the back of the endzone on 3rd and goal for an intentional grounding... I was sold.

Kind of seems weird a top notch clear cut blue chip heisman stud QB would make it impossible for us to blow the pick.. I expect us to fall behind the Giants in the draft order
Reply/Quote
I have been leading the Chase Young charge for over a month now and I have to tell you guys, I am now a Burrow backer. I sat down Sunday and watched a few more games and in total now I have watched 5 of his starts this year. People are going to laugh, but you guys are going to hear a comp a lot heading into this draft and people won't believe it...Tom Brady. It's not saying he will be the GOAT so calm down, but when you watch the tape the similarities between them are uncanny.

First thing you have to understand is this guy is setting protections at the line of scrimmage. While he plays at a big time school his line this year hasn't been good and when that break down occurs his escapability has been impressive. Obviously, that doesn't remind anyone of Brady, which is a good thing but that's about where their similarities stop. His anticipation on timing throws is elite, he knows where the WR is going to be and puts the ball in the window to let the WR run after catches. His touch on intermediate passes is what makes you really start thinking Brady.

Ball trajectory is a big deal and most people don't really understand the nuances of changing the trajectory based on the coverage and placement, instead they choose to simply add more arm strength to make the throw. The thing Burrow does best, and something I haven't seen many other QB's on tape do as consistently, is put the perfect trajectory on passes to drop the ball in a place where it is literally indefensible CONSISTENTLY. Every QB can make a "wow" throw in this area on occasion but he does it multiple times every game.

As I mentioned before, some teams will be turned off by his demeanor. There is a cocky arrogance to him that I think some will like and others not so much, but his teammates appear to respect it. Every week he gets an entire book on the opposing team and him and Joe Brady sit down and he gets quizzed on it, this isn't normal college behavior this is what they do in the Pro's. This brings me to the biggest thing, he basically has already done a rookie season in terms of learning to prepare like a pro. Most rookie QB's will come in and not understand what it takes to get to Sunday but Joe Brady has basically installed that this year which makes me think that he is going to come in ahead of most rookies in terms of ability to prepare week to week.

I still believe he is going to have some growing pains, but in terms of recent QB's coming out based strictly on tape I'd put him behind only Luck/Ryan/Winston in the last 10 years. My track record with QB's has been pretty good and I actually think this kid has "IT" and so I am willing to pass on a sure fire pass rusher in this case....which I don't take lightly.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 09:50 AM)Au165 Wrote: I have been leading the Chase Young charge for over a month now and I have to tell you guys, I am now a Burrow backer. I sat down Sunday and watched a few more games and in total now I have watched 5 of his starts this year. People are going to laugh, but you guys are going to hear a comp a lot heading into this draft and people won't believe it...Tom Brady. It's not saying he will be the GOAT so calm down, but when you watch the tape the similarities between them are uncanny.

First thing you have to understand is this guy is setting protections at the line of scrimmage. While he plays at a big time school his line this year hasn't been good and when that break down occurs his escapability has been impressive. Obviously, that doesn't remind anyone of Brady, which is a good thing but that's about where their similarities stop. His anticipation on timing throws is elite, he knows where the WR is going to be and puts the ball in the window to let the WR run after catches. His touch on intermediate passes is what makes you really start thinking Brady.

Ball trajectory is a big deal and most people don't really understand the nuances of changing the trajectory based on the coverage and placement, instead they choose to simply add more arm strength to make the throw. The thing Burrow does best, and something I haven't seen many other QB's on tape do as consistently, is put the perfect trajectory on passes to drop the ball in a place where it is literally indefensible CONSISTENTLY. Every QB can make a "wow" throw in this area on occasion but he does it multiple times every game.

As I mentioned before, some teams will be turned off by his demeanor. There is a cocky arrogance to him that I think some will like and others not so much, but his teammates appear to respect it. Every week he gets an entire book on the opposing team and him and Joe Brady sit down and he gets quizzed on it, this isn't normal college behavior this is what they do in the Pro's. This brings me to the biggest thing, he basically has already done a rookie season in terms of learning to prepare like a pro. Most rookie QB's will come in and not understand what it takes to get to Sunday but Joe Brady has basically installed that this year which makes me think that he is going to come in ahead of most rookies in terms of ability to prepare week to week.

I still believe he is going to have some growing pains, but in terms of recent QB's coming out based strictly on tape I'd put him behind only Luck/Ryan/Winston in the last 10 years. My track record with QB's has been pretty good and I actually think this kid has "IT" and so I am willing to pass on a sure fire pass rusher in this case....which I don't take lightly.

Is this the "throwing receivers open" thing we hear about with top level QB's ?

I've watched Burrow quite a bit over the last 3 weeks or so and I'm very impressed. His overall "football awareness" for lack of a better way to put it just seems outstanding. Like they used to say about P. Manning, he sees the game in color while everyone else is in B&W.

Perhaps his arm strength is not Elway or Favre level ? But isn't anticipation, timing more important ?

I want him.
Reply/Quote