Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Threads from our Frenemies-part 2
(01-17-2023, 10:15 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The Buffalo bills have offensive line issues.  The game will come down to weather. Josh Allen is reckless and turns over the ball and their DBs covering Jamar Chase and t Higgins. 

i think the worry for us is we lost our oline in such a short time, the mesh might not be as crisp.. but you are correct Bills have had injuries also, Miller is the biggest lost for them though, helps our Oline he is out for sure...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 07:17 PM)Mafioso Wrote: Your playmakers are the best in the league imo.  Chase and Higgins are both legit superstars imo.  Boyd is the quintessential slot wr and an all time member of Bills Mafia.  Thanks again Tyler (and Andy). You created one of the most memorable moments in my football life. I’ll forever be thankful.  Hurst is a top 10 TE and a great locker room guy.  Mixon, I’ll refrain from expressing many of my thoughts on the person, as that one moment in time will forever be one of the most disgusting things I’ve watched. He’s a helluva RB. Speed, power, elusiveness. He brings it all. Perine is one of the best backups in the league and I’m hoping the Bills can sign him if we let Singletary go via FA.  Perine and Cook would compliment each other well imo.  The OL is the question mark and what I know the least about.  We faced a banged up Miami OL last week and didn’t provide very much pressure.  If that happens again this week-  we’ll need to score 40+ to have a chance.  

1 day past his 18th birthday Joe Mixon made a horrible mistake. But he did something that far too many youthful offenders don't do, he took advantage of his second chance and turned his life around. I had trepidations about Joe when he was drafted, a lot of us did.  But, in the 6 1/2 years since he came to Cincinnati, he has been a model citizen. There is not even a whisper of him doing anything not above board.  He interacts with the fans, his teammates love him, and he participates in charitable events including free football camps.  He could have let 1 mistake, granted a really big bad mistake,  spiral his life out of control.  But he didn't, and he grow up to be a contributing member of society.  Isn't that what we hope for all 18 year olds who get into trouble?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 10:01 PM)Mafioso Wrote: Thank you.  I appreciate the welcome.  

So how does this 2 team thing work?  Are you from Ohio orig?  I’m assuming your from an area without its own team and liked the uniforms growing up?  That’s how I became a UNC Tar Heel fan back in 1982.  Loved those unis!

I couldn’t imagine having a second favorite team, especially in the AFC.  Once you have a good QB, everyone is the enemy ?  not trying to be disrespectful, it’s just Bills or bust for me forever.

Question wasn't directed at me, but I've always had 2nd and 3rd favorite teams in every sport.  I grew up in Cincinnati and the hometown teams have my love even though I've been gone for almost 20 years.  I've lived all over the country and realized every fanbase has some of the same blinders as every other team.  Homers abound, as expected.  But some teams are lovable for players or the fanbase or the history.  Growing up, I loved the lore and tradition of the Packers.  I also liked the Chiefs as a Midwest, play hard team.  Neither nearly as much as the Bengals, but I was good with them.  I spent a few years in SoCal and saw how excited a lot of people were about the Rams coming back which made it fun to hope for good things for them (screw 'em now, though...).  

In baseball it was the Reds first, but I had a soft spot for the Orioles (huge Ripkin Jr fan when I played SS) and the Mariners (huge Griffey Jr fan when I played CF, plus the most beautiful swing).  AL vs NL, but still teams I followed.  Hockey it's been the Avs and Caps.  I could go on.  But I think the big key now that I don't play sports is having fans that are fun to talk to about the game, that know the history, know the teams and aren't assholes about it.  I love intelligent conversation, which is why this board has been great for so many years.  Plenty of homers, plenty of downers, but lots of great analysis and fun banter.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 06:58 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Apparently that forum is kind of a pain in the backside.
I registered 11 days ago and have not been approved.
I cannot post as a guest with my email, as it states it being "registered by another user".
I guess their taking the coward's way out by leaving new users in limbo.
Twat-waffles ! (said that because I know you Buffalo boys are reading)
Cigar

I wouldnt say they are the cowards, at least they eventually let you post there, limited # of posts, not sure why we dont allow other fans with different views and good info.  

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 10:59 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I have issues with them saying Miami played like they had nothing to lose, but not giving the Ravens the same benefit.

It's going to be a good game, but the winner will likely be which ever team wins the turnover battle.

Right now, the Bills are turning it over too much. Give teams like Bengals, KC that short field, and they won't be settling for FG's like Miami did.

Definitely a bit hypocritical and the continuous chant that our players are dirty....

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 07:17 PM)Mafioso Wrote: Friendly Bills fan here.  20+ year member on the forum linked in the Op.  I’ve been perusing your board off an on since our MNF meeting. I’m very impressed with your fan base and I appreciate the fan bases level of concern regarding Damar and the team.

First off-  congrats on winning the AFC last season.  I loved every second of that AFCCG. Well played.  Your team is set up for a decade+ of being a SB favorite.  I love the feel of your stadium and how loud your crowd gets.  That’s what football is all about.  Not every team has a true home field advantage.  You guys have one and i hope to witness it sometime in the near future.  

I’d just like to give my impressions of your team and hear some feedback and correct me if I’m off base.  I’ll start with the D, because I don’t think it gets enough credit.  Hendrickson and Hubbard are quite the duo.  With reader and Hill in the middle, Pratt and Wilson at LB and bates and Bell you guys have the middle of the field on lock.  Mike Hilton is one of the best slot corners in the league.  Straight baller.  Sad to see awuzie get hurt this year.  I loved him at Colorado and was hoping the Bills drafted him before Dallas scooped him.  Huge fan of Cam Taylor Britt, as Nebraska is my college team.  He has all the tools to be a great CB and has huge hands.  That  said- I don’t know much about the enigma Eli Apple.  Lots of negative things said about him (and his mother) league wide. I never really looked into any of the negativity. What are your guys’ thoughts on Apple? OSU kid playing at home.  I figured he’d be loved.

the offense-  good lord.  Joe and Jamar won me a grip their last season @ LSU.  I became a huge fan and was praying that Burrow would end up in the NFC.  Now the AFC is stuck with the best 5 QBs in the league and they’re all just kids still.  I’d put Mahomes-Burrow-Allen as 1A/B/C.  Any given year, one of them will be the man.  And that could change from year to year, with the other 2 coming in a close 2nd and 3rd.  We should feel fortunate.  We are fortunate.  Herbert could join the club if they get Payton, but he failed in his first playoff game.  Most of that loss is on Staley and Lombardi, but Herbert left a lot of plays on the field and failed in the 2nd half.  With Burrow, you have a future HoF and possibly multi time super bowl champ-

Your playmakers are the best in the league imo.  Chase and Higgins are both legit superstars imo.  Boyd is the quintessential slot wr and an all time member of Bills Mafia.  Thanks again Tyler (and Andy). You created one of the most memorable moments in my football life. I’ll forever be thankful.  Hurst is a top 10 TE and a great locker room guy.  Mixon, I’ll refrain from expressing many of my thoughts on the person, as that one moment in time will forever be one of the most disgusting things I’ve watched. He’s a helluva RB. Speed, power, elusiveness. He brings it all. Perine is one of the best backups in the league and I’m hoping the Bills can sign him if we let Singletary go via FA.  Perine and Cook would compliment each other well imo.  The OL is the question mark and what I know the least about.  We faced a banged up Miami OL last week and didn’t provide very much pressure.  If that happens again this week-  we’ll need to score 40+ to have a chance.  

I don’t think our D, without 2 all pros Miller and Hyde have much of a chance to stop your O.  Our pass rush has been meh and our corners haven’t been playing the ball very well.  They’ve been in decent position most of the year, but rarely, if ever, to they turn their heads and play the ball.  Dane Jackson being the main culprit.  We’re hoping that Elam can build on the Miami game last week.  He has all the tools physically, but very little experience playing zone, which is what we play 70%+ of the time.  Poyer is a stud but he’s been playing with a partially torn MCL (iirc) and an injured elbow most of the year and hasn’t been himself.  The biggest weakness is the S opposite Poyer.  With Hyde and Hamlin out, it’s manner by Dean Marlowe.  He played his first snap (with the bills) last week.  He had a pick but can be exploited like he was in Atlanta to start the season. You WRs are a matchup problem for the league, but especially for us as we lack speed in the back end.  Elam is the only one with any semblance of speed.  You guys should put 35+ on our heads.  

I don’t like to talk about the O very much because we never know what we’re going to get with Ken Dorsey calling plays behind a poor OL.  Josh is Our lord and savior and his play (or a coin toss) will likely determine our fate. Not much else to say about him.  Diggs is a legit superstar and we thought we had a viable WR2 in Gabe Davis.  But Davis hasn’t lived up to our hopes for him.  He broke out last week vs Miami, so maybe it’s not too late for him, but most of our fanbase sees him as a WR3.  Beasley, Mckenzie, Shakir and Brown are all capable but all are small, short armed targets with little to no catch radius.  Shakir being the wildcard- he can go up and get it as well as RAC.  It just seem as if Josh (or Dorsey) trusts him very much.  Knox is a top 10 TE, possibly higher.  He’s a great blocker and has turned himself into a dependable receiver.  At RB, I’m happy with the combo of Cook and Motor.  Cook looks like he could be special.  He’s very patient and had the best hands of all RBs in the 2022 draft class imo.  Dorsey just doesn’t dial up many passes to him.  Some of us are hoping that we’ve been keeping his receiving prowess off the radar waiting til the games matter.  Well, they matter now.  I hope we throw him the ball.  Motor is an unsung RB and always seems to move the chains when called up.  Lacking speed but has a great feel for making the first defender miss.  The OL is trash.  Dawkins and Morse are solid.  Bates is a JAG and Saffold and Brown are pretty terrible.  Both are HUGE liabilities in pass pro, but decent road graders.  Too bad we rarely run.  Similar to you guys, the OL must be upgraded and the unit could end our season if they don’t play a good game.  They can be downright terrible and get Josh killed.  I feel that Josh’s first read should always be our OL-  see who is going to get destroyed and avoid that pass rusher first, then scramble and unload.  

Coaching- I can’t comment on your coaches very much other than I thought Taylor was awful as a Nebraska QB after I had high hopes for him.  He seems like a class act.  Does he call the plays?  I don’t know much of anything about Lou. Mcdermott is a spiritual man and conservative coach by nature.  Over the 3 seasons, he’s become more aggressive (thank god). The jury is still out if he can lead us to the promised land and his clock is ticking.  13 seconds will be on his head until he gets a Lombardi.  Losing Daboll was a MASSIVE loss for Josh.  They were pretty much best friends and he tempered Joshs enthusiasm for trying to make every play.  Dorsey has been a roller coaster and has yet to give our O an identity. Time will tell if he’s cut out for the job of being Allens OC.  Frazier is a steady influence and knows how to lead a defense.  He too, is very conservative by nature.  It’ll be interesting to see what he does if we can’t get pressure with 4.  He blitzed twice in the MNF game vs y’all and got burned both times.  He has his work cut out for him.  Losing Von was about as big a loss as we could’ve suffered (other than Allen and Diggs).  It’s up to frazier to somehow recreate the pressure we lost when he was injured.    

ST- meh it matters but after this huge wall of text, I’ll spare you guys.

Thanks for reading of you made it this far.   We’re all extremely nervous about the matchup as this was supposed to be “our year”.  We were the Afc favorite to at least make the SB this year.  Lots has happened since the beginning of the year and we are currently not the team we were hoping for.  That’s said- every game is an opportunity to write a new story.  We have a qb capable of beating anyone and the leadership in the locker room to inspire.  All we can do now is ?? that the nfl gods declare us the Victor come Sunday.  Both teams are worthy. I wish you guys luck.  I hope it’s one for the ages.

Great post, many thanks.  This is why we should et other fans post here.

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 01:44 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I wouldnt say they are the cowards, at least they eventually let you post there, limited # of posts, not sure why we dont allow other fans with different views and good info.  

Oh, I don't really think they are.
I was being a bit facetious and having a therapeutic laugh. 
Most of the older folks on this board know my demeanor.
Heck, I was even a Mod for a bit. 
Tongue

As far as their forum:
I'm sure I could have posted as a guest at one point, but I registered and it put me in approval limbo.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 07:17 PM)Mafioso Wrote: Thanks for reading of you made it this far.   We’re all extremely nervous about the matchup as this was supposed to be “our year”.  We were the Afc favorite to at least make the SB this year.  Lots has happened since the beginning of the year and we are currently not the team we were hoping for.  That’s said- every game is an opportunity to write a new story.  We have a qb capable of beating anyone and the leadership in the locker room to inspire.  All we can do now is ?? that the nfl gods declare us the Victor come Sunday.  Both teams are worthy. I wish you guys luck.  I hope it’s one for the ages.

Wanted to say brilliant post man, I think a good few of your opinions about us would match our own. This game is a coin flip (lolol) really, the two teams are well matched. If it weren't for Mahomes, this would be the battle of the AFC. 

While I do think our skill positions are better, I am worried about containing Diggs/Davis, and Josh Allen at the same time. We're used to having to plan for Lamar Jackson so I'm hopeful we'll have a plan for Allen scrambling. While we don't tend to give up the big play, we did give up a big one at the weekend so definitely a bit concerned about defending Diggs and Davis. The latter always seems good for a huge play TD in the playoffs. 

Bit less concerned about your defence than I would have been at the season beginning, those injuries are rough. But at the same time, there's every chance our OL is a turnstile once again now, so if we can't give Burrow time to throw it'll limit what we can do quite heavily. Saw it last postseason unfortunately. 

Heck of a game for the neutrals to look forward to here, and I'm grateful the Bengals are finally a team that get to play in these sorts of games. I'm sure the long-suffering Bills fans are of the same mind.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 07:17 PM)Mafioso Wrote:   That  said- I don’t know much about the enigma Eli Apple.  Lots of negative things said about him (and his mother) league wide. I never really looked into any of the negativity. What are your guys’ thoughts on Apple? OSU kid playing at home.  I figured he’d be loved.

Eli Apple is a prototypical whipping boy. He was a first round draft pick who was drafted into the league at a very young age (20). The NFL is a man's game, and I think he was too young and immature personally. He was raised by his mother. I think he got a case of the big head after being taken in the first round and didn't really understand how to handle success and failure. With each successive team, he has had a little bigger chip. Lou and Charles Burks have been great for Eli. He has him playing good football, but Eli is not a lock down corner. He is a good corner and has stepped up to be our #1 with Awuzie going down. But for every few great plays he makes, he will get burnt now and again, and that's when people start hacking on him. Like a lot of NFL players, he likes to talk on social media, which does not help his case, but he is getting better about it and doing it less as he garners more success. Bottom line, it took him a while to grow up and people tend to hold onto grudges.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 09:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Eli Apple is a prototypical whipping boy. He was a first round draft pick who was drafted into the league at a very young age (20). The NFL is a man's game, and I think he was too young and immature personally. He was raised by his mother. I think he got a case of the big head after being taken in the first round and didn't really understand how to handle success and failure. With each successive team, he has had a little bigger chip. Lou and Charles Burks have been great for Eli. He has him playing good football, but Eli is not a lock down corner. He is a good corner and has stepped up to be our #1 with Awuzie going down. But for every few great plays he makes, he will get burnt now and again, and that's when people start hacking on him. Like a lot of NFL players, he likes to talk on social media, which does not help his case, but he is getting better about it and doing it less as he garners more success. Bottom line, it took him a while to grow up and people tend to hold onto grudges.

Eli has been quiet on personal tweets, which was getting him into deep water.  He live tweeted the OSU-Georgia game but other than that his time line is retweets of team posts, nfl posts, teammate posts, etc.  No personal stuff at all

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 10:01 PM)Mafioso Wrote: Thank you.  I appreciate the welcome.  

So how does this 2 team thing work?  Are you from Ohio orig?  I’m assuming your from an area without its own team and liked the uniforms growing up?  That’s how I became a UNC Tar Heel fan back in 1982.  Loved those unis!

I couldn’t imagine having a second favorite team, especially in the AFC.  Once you have a good QB, everyone is the enemy ?  not trying to be disrespectful, it’s just Bills or bust for me forever.

It isn't really 2 team thing, it is just if my team is out I will root for the Bills. Yes, from Wyoming and loved the helmets in the SB 
when I was 7 years old when we played the 49ers. That is how I became a Bengals fan. It is Bengals or bust for me forever too, 
but if we do lose Sunday I will be rooting for you guys the rest of the way. You guys have went through a lot of shit, similar to us
in losing 3 Super Bowls.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 07:17 PM)Mafioso Wrote: ...

1. Apple came in with a reputation, so we were weary of him, but he's been good overall, even if he occasionally gets burned.

2. Our line is a concern for sure, but we know this team made the SB with a bad line, and it's actually been holding up better this year, even after the injuries.

3. I am worried about the game being in Buffalo.

4. It feels nice that Cincy and Buffalo are finally back to being elite teams, at the same time, no less.

5. I'm glad Von Miller is out, although it was Aaron Donald that really destroyed us in the Super Bowl.

6. Zac Taylor has done a great job in building the roster and changing the culture. He also has a great relationship with Burrow. That said, I don't think he's the greatest game planning HC. I think he was throughly out-coached by John Harbaugh last week. We just made a couple key plays that saved our bacon.

That said, I'm happy to have him as our HC.

7. Praise God that Damar Hamlin is doing much better. That said, I really think the Bengals were on their way to kicking yall's rears. Every game is different though and this one is in your house.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 07:17 PM)Mafioso Wrote: Friendly Bills fan here.  20+ year member on the forum linked in the Op.  I’ve been perusing your board off an on since our MNF meeting. I’m very impressed with your fan base and I appreciate the fan bases level of concern regarding Damar and the team.

First off-  congrats on winning the AFC last season.  I loved every second of that AFCCG. Well played.  Your team is set up for a decade+ of being a SB favorite.  I love the feel of your stadium and how loud your crowd gets.  That’s what football is all about.  Not every team has a true home field advantage.  You guys have one and i hope to witness it sometime in the near future.  

I’d just like to give my impressions of your team and hear some feedback and correct me if I’m off base.  I’ll start with the D, because I don’t think it gets enough credit.  Hendrickson and Hubbard are quite the duo.  With reader and Hill in the middle, Pratt and Wilson at LB and bates and Bell you guys have the middle of the field on lock.  Mike Hilton is one of the best slot corners in the league.  Straight baller.  Sad to see awuzie get hurt this year.  I loved him at Colorado and was hoping the Bills drafted him before Dallas scooped him.  Huge fan of Cam Taylor Britt, as Nebraska is my college team.  He has all the tools to be a great CB and has huge hands.  That  said- I don’t know much about the enigma Eli Apple.  Lots of negative things said about him (and his mother) league wide. I never really looked into any of the negativity. What are your guys’ thoughts on Apple? OSU kid playing at home.  I figured he’d be loved.

the offense-  good lord.  Joe and Jamar won me a grip their last season @ LSU.  I became a huge fan and was praying that Burrow would end up in the NFC.  Now the AFC is stuck with the best 5 QBs in the league and they’re all just kids still.  I’d put Mahomes-Burrow-Allen as 1A/B/C.  Any given year, one of them will be the man.  And that could change from year to year, with the other 2 coming in a close 2nd and 3rd.  We should feel fortunate.  We are fortunate.  Herbert could join the club if they get Payton, but he failed in his first playoff game.  Most of that loss is on Staley and Lombardi, but Herbert left a lot of plays on the field and failed in the 2nd half.  With Burrow, you have a future HoF and possibly multi time super bowl champ-

Your playmakers are the best in the league imo.  Chase and Higgins are both legit superstars imo.  Boyd is the quintessential slot wr and an all time member of Bills Mafia.  Thanks again Tyler (and Andy). You created one of the most memorable moments in my football life. I’ll forever be thankful.  Hurst is a top 10 TE and a great locker room guy.  Mixon, I’ll refrain from expressing many of my thoughts on the person, as that one moment in time will forever be one of the most disgusting things I’ve watched. He’s a helluva RB. Speed, power, elusiveness. He brings it all. Perine is one of the best backups in the league and I’m hoping the Bills can sign him if we let Singletary go via FA.  Perine and Cook would compliment each other well imo.  The OL is the question mark and what I know the least about.  We faced a banged up Miami OL last week and didn’t provide very much pressure.  If that happens again this week-  we’ll need to score 40+ to have a chance.  

I don’t think our D, without 2 all pros Miller and Hyde have much of a chance to stop your O.  Our pass rush has been meh and our corners haven’t been playing the ball very well.  They’ve been in decent position most of the year, but rarely, if ever, to they turn their heads and play the ball.  Dane Jackson being the main culprit.  We’re hoping that Elam can build on the Miami game last week.  He has all the tools physically, but very little experience playing zone, which is what we play 70%+ of the time.  Poyer is a stud but he’s been playing with a partially torn MCL (iirc) and an injured elbow most of the year and hasn’t been himself.  The biggest weakness is the S opposite Poyer.  With Hyde and Hamlin out, it’s manner by Dean Marlowe.  He played his first snap (with the bills) last week.  He had a pick but can be exploited like he was in Atlanta to start the season. You WRs are a matchup problem for the league, but especially for us as we lack speed in the back end.  Elam is the only one with any semblance of speed.  You guys should put 35+ on our heads.  

I don’t like to talk about the O very much because we never know what we’re going to get with Ken Dorsey calling plays behind a poor OL.  Josh is Our lord and savior and his play (or a coin toss) will likely determine our fate. Not much else to say about him.  Diggs is a legit superstar and we thought we had a viable WR2 in Gabe Davis.  But Davis hasn’t lived up to our hopes for him.  He broke out last week vs Miami, so maybe it’s not too late for him, but most of our fanbase sees him as a WR3.  Beasley, Mckenzie, Shakir and Brown are all capable but all are small, short armed targets with little to no catch radius.  Shakir being the wildcard- he can go up and get it as well as RAC.  It just seem as if Josh (or Dorsey) trusts him very much.  Knox is a top 10 TE, possibly higher.  He’s a great blocker and has turned himself into a dependable receiver.  At RB, I’m happy with the combo of Cook and Motor.  Cook looks like he could be special.  He’s very patient and had the best hands of all RBs in the 2022 draft class imo.  Dorsey just doesn’t dial up many passes to him.  Some of us are hoping that we’ve been keeping his receiving prowess off the radar waiting til the games matter.  Well, they matter now.  I hope we throw him the ball.  Motor is an unsung RB and always seems to move the chains when called up.  Lacking speed but has a great feel for making the first defender miss.  The OL is trash.  Dawkins and Morse are solid.  Bates is a JAG and Saffold and Brown are pretty terrible.  Both are HUGE liabilities in pass pro, but decent road graders.  Too bad we rarely run.  Similar to you guys, the OL must be upgraded and the unit could end our season if they don’t play a good game.  They can be downright terrible and get Josh killed.  I feel that Josh’s first read should always be our OL-  see who is going to get destroyed and avoid that pass rusher first, then scramble and unload.  

Coaching- I can’t comment on your coaches very much other than I thought Taylor was awful as a Nebraska QB after I had high hopes for him.  He seems like a class act.  Does he call the plays?  I don’t know much of anything about Lou. Mcdermott is a spiritual man and conservative coach by nature.  Over the 3 seasons, he’s become more aggressive (thank god). The jury is still out if he can lead us to the promised land and his clock is ticking.  13 seconds will be on his head until he gets a Lombardi.  Losing Daboll was a MASSIVE loss for Josh.  They were pretty much best friends and he tempered Joshs enthusiasm for trying to make every play.  Dorsey has been a roller coaster and has yet to give our O an identity. Time will tell if he’s cut out for the job of being Allens OC.  Frazier is a steady influence and knows how to lead a defense.  He too, is very conservative by nature.  It’ll be interesting to see what he does if we can’t get pressure with 4.  He blitzed twice in the MNF game vs y’all and got burned both times.  He has his work cut out for him.  Losing Von was about as big a loss as we could’ve suffered (other than Allen and Diggs).  It’s up to frazier to somehow recreate the pressure we lost when he was injured.    

ST- meh it matters but after this huge wall of text, I’ll spare you guys.

Thanks for reading of you made it this far.   We’re all extremely nervous about the matchup as this was supposed to be “our year”.  We were the Afc favorite to at least make the SB this year.  Lots has happened since the beginning of the year and we are currently not the team we were hoping for.  That’s said- every game is an opportunity to write a new story.  We have a qb capable of beating anyone and the leadership in the locker room to inspire.  All we can do now is ?? that the nfl gods declare us the Victor come Sunday.  Both teams are worthy. I wish you guys luck.  I hope it’s one for the ages.

Frist off, great post. Your impressions of our team closely mirror many of our own fans' impressions. I think you are a bit higher on our running backs (from a gameplay point of view) than many fans here but most other things are well aligned. 

To answer your question about Apple, he has been much better than expected in the two years he's been here. He was basically run out of town in his first three stops so when we signed him, the immediate thought was "okay, he'll be a backup, so even though he's a draft bust he's probably better than a 6th round rookie." Unfortunately for us, he was almost immediately thrust into the starting line up because Trae Waynes, a top free agent we signed in 2020, was injured AGAIN prior to the 2021 season (after missing all of 2020). He was consistently the weak link in the defense. Many fans will recall him giving up a 3rd and 24 to KJ Osborn in his first game with the team where he just fell off of Osborn's back when he should have tackled him well short of the first. From then throughout the season he always seemed to be the one who gave up the back breaking play. This may have just been a perception thing or there may have been some truth to it, it's hard to say. He did give up the game winner in the Super Bowl as well.

And he's still doing it, jumping a sluggo against the Ravens to give them a free touchdown that re-tied the game in the 2nd half. My dad, who is a Giants and Bengals fan, calls giving up a big play at the worst time a "classic Apple move."

With all that said, when Awuzie went down, we were bracing for the worst. Many of us thought our Super Bowl hopes were over if we had to rely on Apple to cover the other team's number 1 receiver throughout the season and post season. But he's been...you know...fine. He still gives up the occasional "classic Apple move" but he also tends to make a play at the right time on occasion as well. Against the Saints, he was the one in coverage on the final play of the game (a 4th and 17 heave to the end zone) and he was able to cover the receiver 1 on 1 to secure the win. 

In other words, it's not ideal that he's our #1 corner, but we could have done much worse than him considering he was never supposed to be a starter when we first signed him.

I think a lot of fans across the NFL hate him because he talks a TON of trash (especially on social media) but, in the best case, is a decent player and, in the worst case, is giving up Super Bowl losing plays. Those aren't typically the kinds of players fans forgive for talking trash haha.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 04:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. *****

Agree with all your points.

Mafioso actually made me more optimistic about the game. I dreaded playing Buffalo all year, given their talent and how close they came last year, and especially playing in their home stadium. But in Mafioso's analysis, he did point out some weaknesses that Buffalo has that I'd not been aware of. I was more focused on the Bengals weaknesses: OL and loss of Awuzie. Now that I see some areas of concern on the part of Buffalo, I feel better about Sunday. Still huge concern about oline and Diggs and Allen -- and the officials not being influenced by the home crowd -- but more optimistic than was before.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 04:39 PM)Nepa Wrote: Agree with all your points.

Mafioso actually made me more optimistic about the game. I dreaded playing Buffalo all year, given their talent and how close they came last year, and especially playing in their home stadium. But in Mafioso's analysis, he did point out some weaknesses that Buffalo has that I'd not been aware of. I was more focused on the Bengals weaknesses: OL and loss of Awuzie. Now that I see some areas of concern on the part of Buffalo, I feel better about Sunday. Still huge concern about oline and Diggs and Allen -- and the officials not being influenced by the home crowd -- but more optimistic than was before.

Same. It was particularly encouraging (as a Bengals fan) to hear they are struggling on the o-line and in their secondary. Such weaknesses should be magnified against us, as WR and d-line are big strengths for us.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 11:53 PM)pally Wrote: 1 day past his 18th birthday Joe Mixon made a horrible mistake. But he did something that far too many youthful offenders don't do, he took advantage of his second chance and turned his life around. I had trepidations about Joe when he was drafted, a lot of us did.  But, in the 6 1/2 years since he came to Cincinnati, he has been a model citizen. There is not even a whisper of him doing anything not above board.  He interacts with the fans, his teammates love him, and he participates in charitable events including free football camps.  He could have let 1 mistake, granted a really big bad mistake,  spiral his life out of control.  But he didn't, and he grow up to be a contributing member of society.  Isn't that what we hope for all 18 year olds who get into trouble?

I understand. I was 18 once too. I got into bar fights on the reg. That’s not something that I could ever do.

You’re entitled to show respect for anyone that you like. Same for me. There are thousands of people that will never show him a lick of respect. I’m one of them. I don’t harp on it. It’s in my mind and I’ll probably never discuss this again other than if others on the board bring it up.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 12:46 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Question wasn't directed at me, but I've always had 2nd and 3rd favorite teams in every sport.  I grew up in Cincinnati and the hometown teams have my love even though I've been gone for almost 20 years.  I've lived all over the country and realized every fanbase has some of the same blinders as every other team.  Homers abound, as expected.  But some teams are lovable for players or the fanbase or the history.  Growing up, I loved the lore and tradition of the Packers.  I also liked the Chiefs as a Midwest, play hard team.  Neither nearly as much as the Bengals, but I was good with them.  I spent a few years in SoCal and saw how excited a lot of people were about the Rams coming back which made it fun to hope for good things for them (screw 'em now, though...).  

In baseball it was the Reds first, but I had a soft spot for the Orioles (huge Ripkin Jr fan when I played SS) and the Mariners (huge Griffey Jr fan when I played CF, plus the most beautiful swing).  AL vs NL, but still teams I followed.  Hockey it's been the Avs and Caps.  I could go on.  But I think the big key now that I don't play sports is having fans that are fun to talk to about the game, that know the history, know the teams and aren't assholes about it.  I love intelligent conversation, which is why this board has been great for so many years.  Plenty of homers, plenty of downers, but lots of great analysis and fun banter.  

Thanks- great post. I’m from Buffalo originally and grew up a Bills/Sabres fan due to my father. I moved to Vegas 24 years ago and my love for my hometown teams only grew fonder. I HATE the golden knight. I HATE the raiders.

That said, baseball was a little different. Pete Rose was my favorite team growing up. Started as a Phillies fan as 1982 was the year I really started to follow closely. That transitioned to the Reds and I fell in love with Eric Davis (my favorite baseball player ever) and that bunch a characters. Barry Larkin, Chris Sabo, Kalvoski Daniels, Danny Jackson (he deserved the cy young over Orel imo), Jose Rijo, Tom Browning (rip) and the most electrifying bullpen in sports history, the Nasty Boys. Rob Dibble became my idol. Davis was traded to the dodgers and I threw up in my mouth and didn’t have a team anymore. Baseball, to me was something to watch from the nba finals to the start of NFL training camp. Way behind NFL, NHL, NCAAB. So I guess that’s why I asked the question. I had no problem switching and rooting for other teams in sports I didn’t really care about very much. The sports I loved, I could only root for my teams.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 01:52 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Great post, many thanks.  This is why we should et other fans post here.

Much appreciated. So far, this board is miles ahead of every other opposing board I’ve visited. I would’ve been here sooner, but we haven’t played! I was just lurking prior to the mnf game but decided to join in after reading some of the posters.

It’s often tough as an opposing fan. I see some of things you guys wrote about our board, trying to relay what you think is the consensus and I just have to nod my head in disagreement. I won’t try and change anyone’s mind, but every board has their shares of cancerous posters. We have a couple handfuls that are VERY active and I think the negativity you read regarding cinci are those same posters posting multiple times. For the most part, everyone appreciates the talent on your team as well as the coaching staff.

The Hendrickson roll can be seen both ways. I understand both sides of the coin. I don’t think it was malicious, but watching it, I understand how some think it was. Hursts block, the initial block was phenomenal. The follow through was unnecessary. I haven’t seen every view, but it looked like he smashed his helmet into the ground. If this isn’t the case and someone has a video, I would love to see it and show the bills board. I haven’t seen one yet. Do I think he’s dirty? I haven’t seen enough of him and would be inclined to say no, he’s not dirty. Same goes for Trey, although I thought I saw him (it may have been someone else) deliver a pretty unnecessary blindside block to the back of a raven last week…… but I could be wrong. Higgins did nothing wrong. Obv. Pretty clean team imo.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 04:37 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Frist off, great post. Your impressions of our team closely mirror many of our own fans' impressions. I think you are a bit higher on our running backs (from a gameplay point of view) than many fans here but most other things are well aligned. 

To answer your question about Apple, he has been much better than expected in the two years he's been here. He was basically run out of town in his first three stops so when we signed him, the immediate thought was "okay, he'll be a backup, so even though he's a draft bust he's probably better than a 6th round rookie." Unfortunately for us, he was almost immediately thrust into the starting line up because Trae Waynes, a top free agent we signed in 2020, was injured AGAIN prior to the 2021 season (after missing all of 2020). He was consistently the weak link in the defense. Many fans will recall him giving up a 3rd and 24 to KJ Osborn in his first game with the team where he just fell off of Osborn's back when he should have tackled him well short of the first. From then throughout the season he always seemed to be the one who gave up the back breaking play. This may have just been a perception thing or there may have been some truth to it, it's hard to say. He did give up the game winner in the Super Bowl as well.

And he's still doing it, jumping a sluggo against the Ravens to give them a free touchdown that re-tied the game in the 2nd half. My dad, who is a Giants and Bengals fan, calls giving up a big play at the worst time a "classic Apple move."

With all that said, when Awuzie went down, we were bracing for the worst. Many of us thought our Super Bowl hopes were over if we had to rely on Apple to cover the other team's number 1 receiver throughout the season and post season. But he's been...you know...fine. He still gives up the occasional "classic Apple move" but he also tends to make a play at the right time on occasion as well. Against the Saints, he was the one in coverage on the final play of the game (a 4th and 17 heave to the end zone) and he was able to cover the receiver 1 on 1 to secure the win. 

In other words, it's not ideal that he's our #1 corner, but we could have done much worse than him considering he was never supposed to be a starter when we first signed him.

I think a lot of fans across the NFL hate him because he talks a TON of trash (especially on social media) but, in the best case, is a decent player and, in the worst case, is giving up Super Bowl losing plays. Those aren't typically the kinds of players fans forgive for talking trash haha.

Awesome info. Thank you. What % of Man/zone do you guys play? Iirc, I mostly see Apple playing the right side (outside of the offensive Left Tackle) and Britt on the other side, signifying lots of zone, but I could just be too high and imagining that ? I’d love to see Diggs in one on one but can’t see much of that happening. If I’m the opposing DC, I’m bracketing Diggs all game and make the other guys beat me. Problem with that, it’s tough to spy on Allen if you double Diggs- so you have to pick your poison. James Cook is the guy that we’re hoping can become that guy to make teams pay for playing the cover 2 shell. He can be dynamic in that situation
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 04:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Same. It was particularly encouraging (as a Bengals fan) to hear they are struggling on the o-line and in their secondary. Such weaknesses should be magnified against us, as WR and d-line are big strengths for us.

That, mixed with your biggest problem on O being OL- our biggest problem in recent weeks has been pass rush while rushing 4. The Von Miller injury halved our chances at winning the SB immediately. Gregory Rousseau has blossomed into a star….but he’s looked to hit a rookie wall the last couple weeks. Opposite him, Shaq, epenesa and Basham are basically all JAGS, with Shaq being the best of the 3 by far (which doesn’t say a lot about the other 2. We may not be able to take advantage of your OL woes. If we’re to win the LOS on pass plays it’ll have to be Oliver, Jones, Phillips and Settle. They might be a top 5 DT unit in the league 1-4…..when healthy. And they look 100% minus Phillips rebounding from a shoulder injury. Matt Milano is the wildcard. We don’t blitz often but we’ll sometimes drop a DE or DT and bring Milano. He’s a rocket and blows plays up on the reg. Our best defensive player by far imo.

In summary- we may not have the pass rush to take advantage of your OL woes. Frazier is very bland and just doesn’t want to get beat 95% of the time……but he has been known to blow our minds with exceptional game plan from time to time.
Reply/Quote