Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Three Guys Walk Into a Dark Room ...
Sounds like the opening line to a joke that is awaiting a punchline, doesn't it?  Some man by the name of "Chick" was on WLW late last night talking Bengals football. Btw, I don't know who in the hell Chick is. I live in southern KY and don't listen to guys like Chick much. But Chick posed this somewhat odd question to his listeners:

Chick asked, "If Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, and Zac Taylor were all three in a pitch dark room, who would walk out first, who would be second, and who would be the last out ?" Now, I'm not even sure what Chick meant by his question but I took it as which coach is the best. In other words, which coach is the smartest to find his way out of the room. I guess the question could also be interpreted as , if three men were in a dark room, who would get scared the easiest and want to leave the room first. That's not the way I interpreted it, though. I think he meant, who is the best coach, who is second best, and who is worst. Maybe I'm wrong, though. How do you interpret Chick's question and who do you think is first, second, and last to emerge from the room?

Btw, Chick's answer was:  Mike Tomlin emerges first, then Harbaugh, then Taylor.  I think I agree with Chick.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
Ok
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 12:28 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Sounds like the opening line to a joke that is awaiting a punchline, doesn't it?  Some man by the name of "Chick" was on WLW late last night talking Bengals football. Btw, I don't know who in the hell Chick is. I live in southern KY and don't listen to guys like Chick much. But Chick posed this somewhat odd question to his listeners:

Chick asked, "If Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, and Zac Taylor were all three in a pitch dark room, who would walk out first, who would be second, and who would be the last out ?" Now, I'm not even sure what Chick meant by his question but I took it as which coach is the best. In other words, which coach is the smartest to find his way out of the room. I guess the question could also be interpreted as , if three men were in a dark room, who would get scared the easiest and want to leave the room first. That's not the way I interpreted it, though. I think he meant, who is the best coach, who is second best, and who is worst. Maybe I'm wrong, though. How do you interpret Chick's question and who do you think is first, second, and last to emerge from the room?

Btw, Chick's answer was:  Mike Tomlin emerges first, then Harbaugh, then Taylor.  I think I agree with Chick.

Mike Tomlin is a cheerleader and can suck a big fat dick.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 12:28 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Sounds like the opening line to a joke that is awaiting a punchline, doesn't it?  Some man by the name of "Chick" was on WLW late last night talking Bengals football. Btw, I don't know who in the hell Chick is. I live in southern KY and don't listen to guys like Chick much. But Chick posed this somewhat odd question to his listeners:

Mike Tomlin has coached the Steelers 16 years and Harbaugh at the Ravens 15 years. I don’t think the Zac supporters claim he’s one of the top 5 coaches. But it doesn’t mean he’s not a pretty good coach. He’s proved his ability.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I don't get the Mike Tomlin love around here. Yeah, he's never had a losing season. He also cheats and teaches his players to play dirtier than any other team in the league, including the Raiders. He's scum.
Reply/Quote
I hate the Steelers and the Ravens as much as anyone on here. I literally would call the police if John Harbaugh came to my door. And probably, Tomlin, too. Having said that, Tomlin has had a winning record with some abysmal teams. I think he has won a Superbowl with a barely playoff eligible team. Harbaugh, didn't he win a big one, as well? I'm not a fan of either of these two men personally. But, honestly, both are light years better than than Taylor, at this point. Without Joe, I don't think the Bengals ever make the playoffs under Taylor. But he is a nice guy. Take comfort in that, Bengals fan, our coach is a really, really nice guy. And we know about when nice guys emerge from that dark room.

Btw, who in the hell is Chick?
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 01:21 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't get the Mike Tomlin love around here. Yeah, he's never had a losing season. He also cheats and teaches his players to play dirtier than any other team in the league, including the Raiders. He's scum.

He might very well be scum. But that Steel town scum seems to win a lot , even with some pretty bad teams.
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 01:33 PM)Science Friction Wrote: He might very well be scum. But that Steel town scum seems to win a lot , even with some pretty bad teams.

Really, What's he done without the rapist?
Reply/Quote
Bengals and Reds have two of the nicest, most high character guys leading their respective teams. We're lucky Cinci fans.... OR ARE WE?

How far up on the list is "nice guy" among the qualities you want in a coach(or manager)?
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 01:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Really, What's he done without the rapist?

As morbid as it sounds, Tomlin only has a SB ring because Bill Cowher's wife got terminal cancer and he decided to pack it in and stop coaching and the Steelers franchise had the ultimate opening at HC.  Cowher is 66 right now, he'd still be coaching that team if that hadn't happened, I'd wager...and they'd have won another SB or two in that time.

Tomlin is pretty much a prime franchise's version of Marvin Lewis.  He ain't bad, but he's got a ceiling the organization is either going to let him hit, or force him through.
Reply/Quote
Tomlin would be the only person to emerge. The others would be unable to walk after being kneecapped in the dark.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 02:34 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: Tomlin would be the only person to emerge.  The others would be unable to walk after being kneecapped in the dark.

Good answer to the riddle. Harbaugh is no choir boy, however. There's only one choir boy of the three.
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
Y'all don't know Chick Ludwig?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 01:03 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Mike Tomlin is a cheerleader and can suck a big fat dick.

This. 

As to the riddle, I assume he meant in a fight. If it was based on smarts, I'd say Harbaugh comes out first.

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 03:14 PM)Wyche Wrote: Y'all don't know Chick Ludwig?

Ive only known two Chick's. Chick Donovan, a professional wrestler , and this Chick I dallied with about twenty years ago.  I have heard this Chick guy on the radio a couple of times but I didn't know his last name. Is he pretty good ?
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 01:33 PM)Science Friction Wrote: He might very well be scum. But that Steel town scum seems to win a lot , even with some pretty bad teams.

What you want is a high character guy that wins.

2021-23
Tomlin 25-22-1 ( 0 anything)
Harbaugh 29-19. (0 anything but likely to add to that in ‘23)
Taylor 30-18 ( 2 AFC North Division Titles 1 AFC title)
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 03:21 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Ive  only known  two Chick's. Chick Donovan, a professional wrestler , and this Chick I dallied with about twenty years ago.  I have heard this Chick guy on the radio a couple of times but I didn't know his last name. Is he pretty good ?

Eh....he used to write for a Dayton paper, and he's been on WLW here and there for a few years. He's older, but he's definitely down a few pegs from guys like Eggar, Boiman, hell even Pike and the Segman. Lifelong sports journalist. He's had some (intentionally) funny takes over the years. He gets a little over the top sometimes, but he's good enough overall. 

Lmao at the Chick twenty years ago bit. Well played, lol.

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 03:23 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: What you want is a high character guy that wins.

2021-23
Tomlin 25-22-1 ( 0 anything)
Harbaugh 29-19. (0 anything but likely to add to that in ‘23)
Taylor 30-18  ( 2 AFC North Division Titles 1 AFC title)

Ideally, you're exactly right.  But I'll take an A-Hole who wins over a high character guy who loses ten times out of ten. YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME! I agree that I would like for Mr Taylor to be my best friend and next door neighbor. Would rather have a Forrest Gregg or Chuck Noll coach my team.  I'm not convinced that, of Coach Taylor's 30 wins, very many of them were attributable to the man's charm or genius but more likely to #9 and #1 on the field.
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 03:31 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Ideally, you're exactly right.  But I'll take an A-Hole who wins over a high character guy who loses ten times out of ten. YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME! I agree that I would like for Mr Taylor to be my best friend and next door neighbor. Would rather have a Forrest Gregg or Chuck Noll coach my team.  I'm not convinced that, of Coach Taylor's 30 wins, very many of them were attributable to the man's charm or genius but more likely to #9 and #1 on the field.

Respectfully haven’t we had this argument? Forest Gregg 25-22 as Cincy HC. Chuck Noll started 12-30 and his first great team had 6 future HOF players. It’s a tired argument against Zac. It’s amazing how things change with a better roster.

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 03:57 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Respectfully haven’t we had this argument? Forest Gregg 25-22 as Cincy HC. Chuck Noll started 12-30 and his first great team had 6 future HOF players. It’s a tired argument against Zac. It’s amazing how things change with a better roster.

As Chick(Ludwig) said last night on the radio, Zac is "still learning." I think that was the best positive he could come up with.  At least Zac is more passionate than the the stoic, expressionless, David Bell.  Of course my grandma has more personality than David Bell, and she's been dead for over twenty years.
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote