Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three Overlooked Things, Week One
1. Oakland should be embarrassed, playing football on a baseball diamond! How bush league is that? Fast-track them back to Los Angeles ahead of the Chargers, I say.
Here's an excerpt about Oakland Coliseum, rated the absolute worst NFL and MLB sports venue:

Oakland’s Coliseum is so bad, it is the worst stadium in two sports! Built to be a football and baseball stadium it became a baseball-only park in the 1980s. It was then ruined for both football and baseball when the Raiders returned from Los Angeles demanding the construction of a garish tower of suites and stands. The result looks like a new stadium someone forgot to finish.

Now it is home to strange odors. Rainwater puddles on the field and backs up in hallways. The baseball field is ruined by football even as football hates trying to run plays on the dirt of the baseball diamond. It’s too big a stadium for baseball and so the seats in the upper deck and on Mt Davis are covered in green tarps. It has become too large for football as well, especially with the constant threat that the Raiders will soon move again, leaving an empty Mt Davis to blight baseball games for eternity.

2. Pacman had a whale of a game, fisticuffs notwithstanding. Led the team in tackles, defensed a pass and forced a fumble. Plus Carr busted his hand on Pacman!

It's quickly forgotten that Pacman was such a reclamation project that he was asked to address the 2013 NFL Rookie Symposium. NFL executive vice president Troy Vincent, a five-time Pro Bowl defensive back, marveled at how impactful Jones was in speaking to rookies.

Then there was the bleacherreports article last year that spotlit Jones's community outreach:
"Given a chance, Jones doesn't gush about his volunteer efforts. He mentions the Special Olympics, but he doesn't mention Rothenberg Preparatory Academy in Cincinnati or the Georgia Wheelchair Athletic Association in Atlanta."

This guy is a leader here. Like it or lump it.

3. PFF has Clint Boling as its #1 Guard from Week One. Mikey just extended him in the offseason, and prior to the contract extension Boling was RotoWorld's #3 in free agency. Mike Zimmer tried desperately to lure Boling away to Minny. (This is one season removed from a rebuilt knee!)
Reply/Quote
I've always felt Boling was slightly overrated (I tend to blame our middle of the line struggles on him and Bodine), but it's always good to see our players get some love.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 02:01 PM)tigershrimp Wrote: 1. Oakland should be embarrassed, playing football on a baseball diamond! How bush league is that? Fast-track them back to Los Angeles ahead of the Chargers, I say.
Here's an excerpt about Oakland Coliseum, rated the absolute worst NFL and MLB sports venue:

Oakland’s Coliseum is so bad, it is the worst stadium in two sports! Built to be a football and baseball stadium it became a baseball-only park in the 1980s. It was then ruined for both football and baseball when the Raiders returned from Los Angeles demanding the construction of a garish tower of suites and stands. The result looks like a new stadium someone forgot to finish.

Now it is home to strange odors. Rainwater puddles on the field and backs up in hallways. The baseball field is ruined by football even as football hates trying to run plays on the dirt of the baseball diamond. It’s too big a stadium for baseball and so the seats in the upper deck and on Mt Davis are covered in green tarps. It has become too large for football as well, especially with the constant threat that the Raiders will soon move again, leaving an empty Mt Davis to blight baseball games for eternity.

2. Pacman had a whale of a game, fisticuffs notwithstanding. Led the team in tackles, defensed a pass and forced a fumble. Plus Carr busted his hand on Pacman!

It's quickly forgotten that Pacman was such a reclamation project that he was asked to address the 2013 NFL Rookie Symposium. NFL executive vice president Troy Vincent, a five-time Pro Bowl defensive back, marveled at how impactful Jones was in speaking to rookies.

Then there was the bleacherreports article last year that spotlit Jones's community outreach:
"Given a chance, Jones doesn't gush about his volunteer efforts. He mentions the Special Olympics, but he doesn't mention Rothenberg Preparatory Academy in Cincinnati or the Georgia Wheelchair Athletic Association in Atlanta."

This guy is a leader here. Like it or lump it.

3. PFF has Clint Boling as its #1 Guard from Week One. Mikey just extended him in the offseason, and prior to the contract extension Boling was RotoWorld's #3 in free agency. Mike Zimmer tried desperately to lure Boling away to Minny. (This is one season removed from a rebuilt knee!)

I had no idea Boling was ranked higher than Zeitler. That is interesting, but I am assuming this is just one week in 2015. How were both guards ranked in 2014 for the entire year?

TY for the thread and I agree about the dirt, it is embarrassing for the Raider and their fans. Maybe they used the money to build a practice facility instead.....J/K
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 02:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I had no idea Boling was ranked higher than Zeitler. That is interesting, but I am assuming this is just one week in 2015. How were both guards ranked in 2014 for the entire year?

TY for the thread and I agree about the dirt, it is embarrassing for the Raider and their fans. Maybe they used the money to build a practice facility instead.....J/K

Yeah, I had no idea how Boling rated in general. Nice to know we have a coveted anchor for the run game. (I believe he is rated significantly higher than Zeitler.)

You're welcome, btw. It's hard to know if/when to start a thread. I imagine it's difficult to adjust to turf versus dirt, not even mentioning all those patches that were visible. Like one of the booth dudes said, their plastic cleats don't grab the infield like they would the outfield.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 02:12 PM)jj22 Wrote: I've always felt Boling was slightly overrated (I tend to blame our middle of the line struggles on him and Bodine), but it's always good to see our players get some love.

I wasn't sure where to put Boling on any kind of list, but yeah---Whit, Andre, Boling. High caliber guys. 

If Bodine can be coached up....
Reply/Quote
4. Bengals Finally get their First win in the blackhole Ever........
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 02:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I had no idea Boling was ranked higher than Zeitler. That is interesting, but I am assuming this is just one week in 2015. How were both guards ranked in 2014 for the entire year?

Raiders will be in a new home soon... Where is the only question they are facing now.
Reply/Quote
Boling had a career game.
His most dominant game start to finish.
Much like Geno, he's had a full season to get used to his legs again and seems to have gotten the power back in them.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 02:51 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Boling had a career game.
His most dominant game start to finish.
Much like Geno, he's had a full season to get used to his legs again and seems to have gotten the power back in them.

agreed.

Plus now we get to see exactly what we were missing from eifert all of 2014
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 02:48 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Raiders will be in a new home soon...  Where is the only question they are facing now.

I know, it just seems like the 49ers who got their new stadium last year, they are 20 years later than most of the teams.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 03:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: agreed.

Plus now we get to see exactly what we were missing from eifert all of 2014

No kidding! Plus Marvin Jones in the mix.... Pat Sims and Michael Johnson reclaimed.... Burfict looming....

Guys like Boling breaking out is great to add! Here's hoping DreK decides to be named to the "shutdown" list this year!
Reply/Quote
Boling has really stepped up. I remember when we stuck him at RG to fill in for Bobbie back in the 2011 opener, and it was a disaster. It looks like Clint will take over the OL leadership role when Whit retires.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I kinda liked seeing them play on a baseball diamond. It's different and it reminds me of the old days when lots of teams played on fields that had visible diamonds on them. It certainly didn't seem to affect play.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
True on Oakland's field, just awful and that shouldn't happen to any NFL football team.

Adam was our best Cornerback last season and he should of made the Probowl easily, as a the #1 Returner.

Dude plays with a passion.

Boling played great last Sunday, great block for Hill on the 2nd TD on the Goal line.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 07:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Honestly, I kinda liked seeing them play on a baseball diamond. It's different and it reminds me of the old days when lots of teams played on fields that had visible diamonds on them. It certainly didn't seem to affect play.

Players hate it.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 04:44 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Boling has really stepped up. I remember when we stuck him at RG to fill in for Bobbie back in the 2011 opener, and it was a disaster. It looks like Clint will take over the OL leadership role when Whit retires.

Boling didn't have the strength early on in his career to play RG, especially up to Bobbie Williams play at the time.

He has gained a lot of strength since and is becoming a top tier LG in the league.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 07:59 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Players hate it.

I was holding my breath scared of an injury every time we were running on it.  I don't know if it makes sense but none the less I was nervous
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 08:44 PM)bonesaw Wrote: I was holding my breath scared of an injury every time we were running on it.  I don't know if it makes sense but none the less I was nervous

I played on a few in HS. 
They suck.
It may not translate on TV, but it sucks. They aren't fun. 
Reply/Quote
Boling, Atkins, Green, (Williams)

Damn UGAs best NFL talent lives here
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote

Not only was Boling ranked higher than Zeitler, but their rankings were almost as far away as you can get.

Boling had the second best PFF ranking on the team in week one....behind only Atkins.  Zeitler had the second worst ranking....ahead of only Andre Smith.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote