Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Three Straight Road Games: An Observation
I don't want this to sound like I am making an excuse for the recent defensive lapse. There is much more to it, but I thought this was interesting:

Only one other team in the NFL had three consecutive road games: The Indianapolis Colts. Starting at week 3, the Colts traveled to Tennessee, Miami, and then Baltimore. They lost the third road game to Baltimore in a close battle where the Ratbirds overcame a 13 point deficit to force OT, where they ultimately won the game.

That sounds a lot like the Jets game, right? Bengals had an 11 point lead in the 4th quarter?

I noticed some teams, like the Chargers, did not even have ONE BACK-TO-BACK game on their schedule thus far. They do later in the year, ironically where they come to Cincy after a road game in Denver.

The Rams had a recent period where they had road games in three of the last four weeks, and then looked weak in a loss to a Tennessee team that had lost Derrick Henry.

The Bengals only have three road games in the remaining 8 weeks of the season. And they are spread out:

@ Raiders
Home against piss
Home against Chargers
Home against 49ers
@ Denver
Home against Baltiwhore
Home against Kansas City
@ Cleveland

This Raider game is a big one to get this young team back to having that energy we saw in the first 7 weeks of the season.

I still believe in the team that woodshedded the Ratbirds, in Ballsnomore.

They have been in EVERY game but the Cleveland game. These games at the Jungle (squeelers, Chargers, 49ers, Ratbirds, Chiefs) are going to be FUN and EXCITING games. The jungle will be rocking. They can do this. 10 wins and I think they can get in. That means going 5-3 the rest of the way. No more three game road stretches. Not even one consecutive road game stretch.

Get healthy, get ready. Who Dey, bitches. This thing is far from over. Who Dey
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 08:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Only one other team in the NFL had three consecutive road games:  The Indianapolis Colts.  Starting at week 3, the Colts traveled to Tennessee, Miami, and then Baltimore.  They lost the third road game to Baltimore in a close battle where the Ratbirds overcame a 13 point deficit to force OT, where they ultimately won the game.  

First home game after 3 week road trip they won 31-3.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 10:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote: First home game after 3 week road trip they won 31-3.

Yes, the Colts beat the Texans 31-3.  The Texans also lost to Buffalo the week prior 40-0 two weeks prior and 31-5 to the Cardinals.  The Colts, if you haven't noticed, have been one of the hottest teams in the league after an 0-3 start.  

The point was their third road game had a late collapse, much like the Bengals did in NY.  I just thought it was interesting.  
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 11:25 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yes, the Colts beat the Texans 31-3.  The Texans also lost to Buffalo the week prior 40-0 two weeks prior and 31-5 to the Cardinals.  The Colts, if you haven't noticed, have been one of the hottest teams in the league after an 0-3 start.  

The point was their third road game had a late collapse, much like the Bengals did in NY.  I just thought it was interesting.  

I think this very valid to consider as to why they looked like crap the last 2 weeks and I hope this is true...however, I cant help but think that they built up to and saw that win @ BALT as a mini "superbowl " for the team and afterwards  just lost their early season energy and mo jo and switched into "holiday" mode. IMO 
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 12:00 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I think this very valid to consider as to why they looked like crap the last 2 weeks and I hope this is true...however, I cant help but think that they built up to and saw that win @ BALT as a mini "superbowl " for the team and afterwards  just lost their early season energy and mo jo and switched into "holiday" mode. IMO 

Everybody in the team took that laxative after the Baltimore game.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 08:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't want this to sound like I am making an excuse for the recent defensive lapse.  There is much more to it, but I thought this was interesting:

Only one other team in the NFL had three consecutive road games:  The Indianapolis Colts.  Starting at week 3, the Colts traveled to Tennessee, Miami, and then Baltimore.  They lost the third road game to Baltimore in a close battle where the Ratbirds overcame a 13 point deficit to force OT, where they ultimately won the game.  

That sounds a lot like the Jets game, right?  Bengals had an 11 point lead in the 4th quarter?

I noticed some teams, like the Chargers, did not even have ONE BACK-TO-BACK game on their schedule thus far.  They do later in the year, ironically where they come to Cincy after a road game in Denver.

The Rams had a recent period where they had road games in three of the last four weeks, and then looked weak in a loss to a Tennessee team that had lost Derrick Henry.  

The Bengals only have three road games in the remaining 8 weeks of the season.  And they are spread out:

@ Raiders
Home against piss
Home against Chargers
Home against 49ers
@ Denver
Home against Baltiwhore
Home against Kansas City
@ Cleveland

This Raider game is a big one to get this young team back to having that energy we saw in the first 7 weeks of the season.

They have been in EVERY game but the Cleveland game.  These games at the Jungle (squeelers, Chargers, 49ers, Ratbirds, Chiefs) are going to be FUN and EXCITING games.  The jungle will be rocking.  They can do this.  10 wins and I think they can get in.  That means going 5-3 the rest of the way.  No more three game road stretches.  Not even one consecutive road game stretch.

Get healthy, get ready.  Who Dey, bitches.  This thing is far from over.   Who Dey

I've been saying this for awhile, the three straight road games took a lot out of this defense. And as bad as the score looked against Cleveland, when you consider the 14 point swing with the Burrow interception, then Chases fumble, it wasn't as bad as it looked or felt, unless you believe those are going to be typical games from Burrow and Chase. This is going to be a fun rest of the season if people will just enjoy it without all the pending doom.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 12:00 PM)kalibengal Wrote:  I cant help but think that they built up to and saw that win @ BALT as a mini "superbowl " for the team and afterwards  just lost their early season energy and mo jo and switched into "holiday" mode. IMO 

(11-11-2021, 12:04 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Everybody in the team took that laxative after the Baltimore game.

Remember all those threads about how Joe Burrow's confident personality was influencing and shaping the identity of the entire team?  How the whole team was going to benefit from his "swagger".

I have not seen one of those recently, have you?
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 12:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Remember all those threads about how Joe Burrow's confident personality was influencing and shaping the identity of the entire team?  How the whole team was going to benefit from his "swagger".

I can remember at least one, not sure about "all those" threads.  How many do you remember?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 01:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I can remember at least one, not sure about "all those" threads.  How many do you remember?

Sorry, maybe not a lot of threads.  Just a lot of comments like that.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 12:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Remember all those threads about how Joe Burrow's confident personality was influencing and shaping the identity of the entire team?  How the whole team was going to benefit from his "swagger".

Fellow, you have serious issues with needing to be right. One peak at your post history tells the story. What gives?
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 08:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: They have been in EVERY game but the Cleveland game.  These games at the Jungle (squeelers, Chargers, 49ers, Ratbirds, Chiefs) are going to be FUN and EXCITING games.  The jungle will be rocking.  They can do this.  10 wins and I think they can get in.  That means going 5-3 the rest of the way.  No more three game road stretches.  Not even one consecutive road game stretch.

Get healthy, get ready.  Who Dey, bitches.  This thing is far from over.  

If you can't expect the Bengals to win a 3 road game stretch I'd suggest you temper your expectations for a deep playoff run.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 08:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't want this to sound like I am making an excuse for the recent defensive lapse.  There is much more to it, but I thought this was interesting:

Only one other team in the NFL had three consecutive road games:  The Indianapolis Colts.  Starting at week 3, the Colts traveled to Tennessee, Miami, and then Baltimore.  They lost the third road game to Baltimore in a close battle where the Ratbirds overcame a 13 point deficit to force OT, where they ultimately won the game.  

That sounds a lot like the Jets game, right?  Bengals had an 11 point lead in the 4th quarter?

I noticed some teams, like the Chargers, did not even have ONE BACK-TO-BACK game on their schedule thus far.  They do later in the year, ironically where they come to Cincy after a road game in Denver.

The Bengals only have three road games in the remaining 8 weeks of the season.  And they are spread out:

@ Raiders
Home against piss
Home against Chargers
Home against 49ers
@ Denver
Home against Baltiwhore
Home against Kansas City
@ Cleveland

They have been in EVERY game but the Cleveland game.  These games at the Jungle (squeelers, Chargers, 49ers, Ratbirds, Chiefs) are going to be FUN and EXCITING games.  The jungle will be rocking.  They can do this.  10 wins and I think they can get in.  That means going 5-3 the rest of the way.  No more three game road stretches.  Not even one consecutive road game stretch.

Get healthy, get ready.  Who Dey, bitches.  This thing is far from over.   Who Dey

All true. I know it sounds like an excuse but 3 road games in a row is tough for any team. Needed this bye man bad.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 03:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If you can't expect the Bengals to win a 3 road game stretch I'd suggest you temper your expectations for a deep playoff run.

Well, they did win the first two...I would call gettingttng to the AFC Title game with one of the greatest cap numbers heading in to next season quite a success.  
Reply/Quote
I don't think enough has been made about how most of our remaining games are at home.

This is why I've predicted 9-10 wins instead of the 7-8 most people are predicting. I still believe in this team, but the road game next week is huge. We need a rebound.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Can’t wait to see how they play when they get home from that three game road trip!
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 10:03 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Can’t wait to see how they play when they get home from that three game road trip!

[Image: oh-you-you.gif]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 11:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: [Image: oh-you-you.gif]

I like that one. It’s like baby Robert Deniro.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 06:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't think enough has been made about how most of our remaining games are at home.

This is why I've predicted 9-10 wins instead of the 7-8 most people are predicting. I still believe in this team, but the road game next week is huge. We need a rebound.

This next game at Vegas is huge.   I know we tend to say that every week, but I believe the defense will find the energy they had lost and will take down the Raiders.

After that, five of the next seven are at home.  Very exciting!

Oh, and I forgot to say:  "THANKS DOLPHINS!!!"   Hilarious
Reply/Quote

Remember when Burrow took the offense down the field on the first drive of the Browns game? Got right to the end zone, then threw the pick 6?  Remember when Burrow then turned right around and marched them down the field and scored? I've seen too many Bengals teams that would fold when adversity hit to negate the influencing of this team by JoeyB
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 09:17 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Remember when Burrow took the offense down the field on the first drive of the Browns game? Got right to the end zone, then threw the pick 6?  Remember when Burrow then turned right around and marched them down the field and scored? I've seen too many Bengals teams that would fold when adversity hit to negate the influencing of this team by JoeyB

Exactly, Sled.  What Burrow is doing in his first 18 games (?) thus far is incredible.  He didn't get to sit a year.  He had COVID take away a lot of his live practice and preseason games.  In fact, he hasn't played in a single preseason game.  This, all on top of a devastating knee injury that ended his rookie campaign prematurely.

If the defense rose up and forced even a couple punts, I think that game becomes a shootout.  

One thing about Burrow, and he did this against the steelers on the road coming off a horrible loss:  He never has back-to-back clunkers.  He always adjusts and comes back even more determined.  

Maybe he will make a liar out of me with a clunker at Vegas, but I really doubt it.  I am very confident in Joe.  My biggest fear right now is Chido being able to play off the COVID list.  I believe he is vaccinated, but they really need that guy.  
Reply/Quote