Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thursday Night
The New England Patriots are playing the Houston Texans as we speak. I think we all need to watch this game and specifically observe New England's offensive line play. See if you can spot the differences in scheme and technique between how the Patriots block on both run and pass plays as compared to the way Cincinnati blocks. I am anxious to see what people on here think.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 10:17 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The New England Patriots are playing the Houston Texans as we speak.  I think we all need to watch this game and specifically observe New England's offensive line play. See if you can spot the differences in scheme and technique between how the Patriots block on both run and pass plays as compared to the way Cincinnati blocks.  I am anxious to see what people on here think.

Watching now myself and will do.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 10:17 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The New England Patriots are playing the Houston Texans as we speak.  I think we all need to watch this game and specifically observe New England's offensive line play. See if you can spot the differences in scheme and technique between how the Patriots block on both run and pass plays as compared to the way Cincinnati blocks.  I am anxious to see what people on here think.

Not that into football to do this, especially since it won't do anything to help correct anything that might be found .... but I will say this ... yes, Tom Brady is, IMHO, the best QB in my lifetime, but that whole organization has been quite amazing with or without Brady.  The year he sat out they still went 11-5. I will give credit to where credit is due from GM to position coaches of the New England franchise. 
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 10:27 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Not that into football to do this, especially since it won't do anything to help correct anything that might be found .... but I will say this ... yes, Tom Brady is, IMHO, the best QB in my lifetime, but that whole organization has been quite amazing with or without Brady.  The year he sat out they still went 11-5. I will give credit to where credit is due from GM to position coaches of the New England franchise. 

Tom Brady is the benefactor of FO excellence. 
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 10:27 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Not that into football to do this, especially since it won't do anything to help correct anything that might be found .... but I will say this ... yes, Tom Brady is, IMHO, the best QB in my lifetime, but that whole organization has been quite amazing with or without Brady.  The year he sat out they still went 11-5. I will give credit to where credit is due from GM to position coaches of the New England franchise. 

Dante Scarnecchia is the Patriots' offensive line coach. He's a genius.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 10:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Dante Scarnecchia is the Patriots' offensive line coach. He's a genius.

Jealousy is a bad thing and I'm it. 
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 10:40 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Jealousy is a bad thing and I'm it. 

To get to the Super Bowl, the Bengals will have to have an offensive line this good.  The skill players depend on it and the Cincinnati playbook is designed for it.
Reply/Quote
The Patriots line on most running plays fires out of their stance going forward. They sustain blocks well downfield until the whistle blows.

The Bengals line on most running plays almost stand straight up out of their stance at the snap, and sorta try and catch the D-line. In many instances they do not maintain the block and play thru the whistle.

You can see we lose the leverage battle on many plays.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 10:44 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: To get to the Super Bowl, the Bengals will have to have an offensive line this good.  The skill players depend on it and the Cincinnati playbook is designed for it.

Do not disagree and as Lap has said many times, more often than not, the trenches dictate the outcome of the games.  The Jets game was an exception.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 10:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The Patriots line on most running plays fires out of their stance going forward. They sustain blocks well downfield until the whistle blows.

The Bengals line on most running plays almost stand straight up out of their stance at the snap, and sorta try and catch the D-line. In many instances they do not maintain the block and play thru the whistle.

You can see we lose the leverage battle on many plays.

Your vision is perfect!  The Patriots block forward and the Bengals block upward.
Reply/Quote
and this is NE without Tom Brady schooling the texans........we're screwed week 6, though one thing that could save us is that it's a 1pm game..... and then houston is melting down on ST's.
Reply/Quote
Brady is a product of the system.

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 11:17 PM)WildCat Wrote: and this is NE without Tom Brady schooling the texans........we're screwed week 6, though one thing that could save us is that it's a 1pm game..... and then houston is melting down on ST's.

True. The Patriots offensive line is that good.  You can put any quarterback behind that line and he'll succeed.  
Reply/Quote
glad i started blount tonight. that PI calls until blount gets a TD made me happy :)
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 11:19 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: True. The Patriots offensive line is that good.  You can put any quarterback behind that line and he'll succeed.  

What is most peculiar, is that all 5 starters are from schools that were quite good at running the football.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 11:19 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: True. The Patriots offensive line is that good.  You can put any quarterback behind that line and he'll succeed.  

They aren't though... they've been middle of the pack for a decade now.

They don't look that great pass blocking tonight, but they're looking fine on the run.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I have zero problems with anyone who says William Belichick is the best NFL coach of all time.

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 11:30 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: They don't look that great pass blocking tonight, but they're looking fine on the run.

That's due to the Texans' excellent secondary.  Coverage downfield is outstanding.
Reply/Quote
Will Fuller dropped a ball. So happy we didn't draft him.

On the run blocking note, I see that Houston is getting penetration against NEs running game, but they are playing an 8 man front with man-to-man behind it to try and force the rookie QB to beat them. Which he is.

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 11:18 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Brady is a product of the system.

Or do they just do a really good job at coaching their QBs and putting them in a position to succeed? I'm sure Brady would still be great other places then New England.
Reply/Quote