Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Tim McGee's great idea
(04-15-2021, 08:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the last 9 years the Seahawks have won a Super Bowl, 2 NFC Championships, and 9 postseason games.  So I would consider them "in their right mind".

They have a 32 year old QB with a Hall-of fame resume, and you know what they tell him?  "Players play and the front office makes the personnel decisions."

No team in their right mind would let a 24 year old kid who has only won 2 NFL games decide who they draft.  They might very well draft Chase, but it better not be because Burrow told them to.

If it wasn't a close decision, then you would be right. But, since the decision between Chase and Sewell is razor close, I would think they would very well listen to his wishes.  
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 09:00 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If it wasn't a close decision, then you would be right. But, since the decision between Chase and Sewell is razor close, I would think they would very well listen to his wishes.  

I think a player and a organization can have differences on personal and position with both players being very good high picks... 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 06:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Darren Waller ran a 4.44 forty?

I have heard that comparison and Waller is damn good now, took a few years but he is.

Of course I am down with what you say here, we need interior OL help more than OT help at the moment.

I just like the thought of Sewell mauling at Guard as a rookie if Jonah and Reiff are healthy and playing well on the outside.

Plus if either got hurt Sewell could kick out.

Waller at the Combine : 

6'6 238 pounds
4.46 40 time
12 Bench
37 Vertical Jump

Pitts at Pro Day : 

6'6 245 pounds
4.44 40 time
22 Bench
33.5 Vertical Jump

Like I said pretty similar guys, Pitts has a couple pounds on him and seems to be a stronger guy putting up 10 more bench presses than Waller but Waller has Pitts beat on the Vert by a good bit. Throw on top of that the fact that Wallers 40 time was officially timed at the combine while Pitts was at his pro day with an unofficial time. Although I don't  think that Pitts will take the time to get adjusted that Waller did, Waller came out as a WR and had to adjust. Also Waller had some substance abuse problems early in his career if I'm not mistaken.

As for taking Sewell, I got 0 problem with that if it falls that way, same with Pitts actually but I just prefer to grab Chase and then grab the best combination of OT and OG in the next couple rounds. I think Pollack adds alot to the line and we got 2 starting tackles and really need to work on the interior. I just like the Oline depth in the draft better than the depth for the type of WR we need this year. Again im happy with any of the 3 guys being talked about though.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 08:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why are we calling him a de facto GM for giving his input on one single draft pick? Do you think every GM in the league makes these choices without other people’s help?

I think it's funny that people don't think a guy like Tobin would have conversations about Chase with Burrow.

Does that mean they'll pick him?  Not necessarily.

Does it hold any weight or sway decision at all?  Probably but how much?

Do any of these former players hold any weight(even HOF ones)towards decisions?  Probably but how much?

I don't think games won/history status, is what automatically opens the door for input for this FO.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Sewell is the pick.

O-line has been our biggest need for 5 years. Every strong season we've ever had came with a good-to-great O-line, including 73, 75 and 76. WR isn't even our second weakest unit on offense, it's TE. Uzomah is average at best and Sample is a Taylor bust. Higgins is our X receiver until we're picking top ten next year, since our coaches are LOSERS.

Take the young Tackle that was hands down the best, even before this latest NCAA season started. Build from the trenches, out. Scouts and analysts had him leaps and bounds over the other collegiate prospects, even before this current season. And his Pro Day was elite, he ranked in the 97th percentile, with numbers similar (agility better) to Whitworth.

It's not about "Burrow will be handicap by the time he's 25," It's about building a successful franchise and knowing how teams are built.

Don't bet on the theory that the "best available Tackle at the top of the second will do," that's compromising. I've heard every argument, the Tackle class is deep, no WR1 will be available in the 2nd round. Bullshit. This franchise, handicapped by the front office and scouts, has made wine out of vinegar in 2nd to late rounds, with WRs.

You don't even have to have former experience with the Bengals to know that you take the best lineman, on either side, when they are handed to you.

Honestly, I hope Atlanta takes Chase so that our FO doesn't bungle the pick between our O-line and a WR.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 03:53 PM)Yogo Wrote: But probably is the best and most effective way to protect Burrow considering all phases of the game and coaching staff etc.  Big difference from top of round 1 to 2nd round in terms of tiers and positional space filler.

Yeah, it's hard to pass up a talent like Sewell no doubt.   And I'll be very happy if we take him.

But there are other ways to protect a QB.   The first is not relying on very obviously limited linemen like we did last year. Hart could not reliably cover the right edge, and the revolving door of back up and inexperienced guards were not able to give Burrow a decent interior pocket.  And we had no adequate depth.

We have done a passable job of shoring up those two aspects, and there are equal to better prospects in the 2nd and 3rd round of this draft for at least the necessary depth that we did not have last year.   While elite offensive lines are the goal, there are good teams that protect their players with average to above average players (as opposed to elite).  You just cannot have sub par linemen.

Another way of protecting your QB is getting receivers open quickly.  Burrow had the hardest time (though it was hard all year d/t incompetent and injured linemen) when teams with good secondaries were able to bottle up our entire receiver corps.  Drafting a guy like Chase or Waddle would open things up.   Those guys are good at getting open and are tremendously competitive at the catch point - especially Chase.  There are only so many good receivers you can keep bottled up, and if you have one who really is able to get open it puts a lot less pressure on the other receivers.

Obviously a better running game opens things up for your offense.  The defense can't just tee off every play.

I believe that there will be players in the 2nd and 3rd round that will not only give us better depth at an average plus level, but be an improvement to what we have now - especially in the interior.   I truly do not know how Burrow functioned with that line last year.  It was a total sieve.   And his grotesque injury came primarily (though not entirely) from a failure in the interior.

But clearly - as demonstrated in the Super Bowl - your backups can not be trailer trash.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 11:40 AM)3wt Wrote:   Burrow had the hardest time (though it was hard all year d/t incompetent and injured linemen) when teams with good secondaries were able to bottle up our entire receiver corps. 

Boyd may not be a deep threat, but these claims that he can't get open are BS.

Since 2018 only 3 WRs have more first down conversions on 3rd/4th down plays than Boyd (65).  And no WR has as many fourth down receptions (10) or first down conversions (10) as Boyd.

It would be impossible for a WR who can't get open to have that type of production.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 01:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Boyd may not be a deep threat, but these claims that he can't get open are BS.

Since 2018 only 3 WRs have more first down conversions on 3rd/4th down plays than Boyd (65).  And no WR has as many fourth down receptions (10) or first down conversions (10) as Boyd.

It would be impossible for a WR who can't get open to have that type of production.

I'm not saying he can't get open.  He's an amazing receiver.   I also think Tee is going to be an amazing receiver based on a really good freshman year.

I'm just saying that the two of them were having trouble getting open in some games against tough secondaries.   Having a third elite receiver would, I think, increase the odds that one of them gets open against such teams.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 09:04 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote:
Waller at the Combine : 

6'6 238 pounds
4.46 40 time
12 Bench
37 Vertical Jump

Pitts at Pro Day : 

6'6 245 pounds
4.44 40 time
22 Bench
33.5 Vertical Jump

Like I said pretty similar guys, Pitts has a couple pounds on him and seems to be a stronger guy putting up 10 more bench presses than Waller but Waller has Pitts beat on the Vert by a good bit. Throw on top of that the fact that Wallers 40 time was officially timed at the combine while Pitts was at his pro day with an unofficial time. Although I don't  think that Pitts will take the time to get adjusted that Waller did, Waller came out as a WR and had to adjust. Also Waller had some substance abuse problems early in his career if I'm not mistaken.

As for taking Sewell, I got 0 problem with that if it falls that way, same with Pitts actually but I just prefer to grab Chase and then grab the best combination of OT and OG in the next couple rounds. I think Pollack adds alot to the line and we got 2 starting tackles and really need to work on the interior. I just like the Oline depth in the draft better than the depth for the type of WR we need this year. Again im happy with any of the 3 guys being talked about though.

Thanks Bob, didn't know Waller ran that fast. They are more close than I thought. The thing about the Florida Pro Days is for
some reason players actually run slower than they do at the combine. If we had the combine this year I don't know how fast 
Pitts would run honestly. I agree, he is more pro ready than Waller was when he came out. Happy with any of the 3 just the 
same and yes the OL depth is very deep in this Draft. We can Draft 3 or 4 OL after Chase or Pitts and find some great ones.
Reply/Quote