Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time Travel/Loop or Alternate Reality Movies
(01-12-2022, 09:09 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: How big of a BTTF geek am I? At the last true bricks-and-mortar job I had, there was this guy who also worked there and was an even bigger BTTF geek. We would spontaneously act out scenes from the movie, usually bewildering everyone around us. For example, he would come in the mailroom and say, "Lorraine, were you ever in a situation where you knew you had to act a certain way, and when it happened you knew you couldn't go through with it?" and we'd launch into that scene.

Yes, BTTF is a cinematic masterpiece, so much so that it is immune from being remade/rebooted/rehashed or whatever. It annoys me when people complain about 2 being too convoluted and basically just a trailer for 3. Nope. It goes into the Twilight Zone aspects of time travel quite brilliantly. And 3 is just a lot of fun, with perfect casting of all those old TV western scrubs and Mary Steenburgen as Clara.

So why don't you just make like a tree and get out?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I’m too lazy to read through the thread and suggestions, but also one of my favorite type of stories:

Looper - Freaking great movie with Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt (On Netflix)

Boss Level - just pure action and comedy with Frank Grillo [on hulu]

Groundhog Day - my favorite comedy you should have seen this one with bill murray

Tenet - Confusing, but fun. Need to watch a few times I think. With John David Washington (Denzel’s son) and everyone’s favorite sparkling vampire (in a good acting job from him)

The Source Code - Fun sci-fi with Jake Gyllenhal and one of my favorite actors that’s never seemingly had a major starring role in anything I’ve seen in Jeffrey Wright.

Midnight in Paris - if you like Woody Allen and Owen Wilson

Edge of Tomorrow - Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt action packed extravaganza. Pretty funny too early on.

The Tomorrow War - Good action movie with Chris Pratt. Just solid fun. Maybe went a bit too long.

Paycheck - an underrated old Ben Affleck movie.

Idiocracy - traveling to what feels like the nearer future everyday. A really dumb comedy.

Black Knight - a really shitty Martin Lawrence comedy I have always loved. Doesn’t compare to any of the above.

Click - one of Adam Sandler better late stage comedies.

The Butterfly Effect - Ashton Kutcher time travel drama. Love this movie. Never saw the direct to dvd sequels though. There’s also 2 endings to this movie I never knew that until recently.

The map of tiny perfect things - a random loop romantic comedy you and the wife/girl could watch maybe? [amazon prime]

Happy Death Day 1/2 - mostly comedy slasher time movie. Really enjoyed the first. Second was okay.

Also forgot to mention on the video game front I really enjoyed Life is Strange. As it is a story game you could really just watch someone play it guess. But it is a teen drama style of game. It gets better and darker as the story progresses along.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Peggy Sue Got Married Smirk

The Road Warrior
Escape From New York
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 03:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Donnie Darko.

Rep.

Can't believe I didn't think of this one right off the bat.
Reply/Quote
Devil's Advocate
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Outer Range on Amazon Prime was pretty good. It’s kind of like Yellowstone, but with a sci-fi/time travel twist. And Josh Brolin is a national treasure as far as I’m concerned.

Reply/Quote
I enjoyed Dark, but I also struggled a bit on the last season. I think maybe partially because I didn't watch it right away so I had a pretty big gap between when I finished watching season 2 and when I started watching season 3.

People already hit up a lot of movies, but here's some shows...

Travelers is very good and quite interesting.
Counterpart is good and JK Simmons is great in it.
Continuum I recall being pretty decent.
Charlie Jade was an interesting one, but it was 2005 and South African, so the production quality isn't top notch.

Then there's always the classics of Quantum Leap and Sliders.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2022, 03:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Outer Range on Amazon Prime was pretty good. It’s kind of like Yellowstone, but with a sci-fi/time travel twist. And Josh Brolin is a national treasure as far as I’m concerned.

Nice, I've been meaning to check it out. Since you don't suck as a Bengals Board poster I'll take your word as a glowing recommendation.  Tongue
Reply/Quote
didnt see it mentioned so ill add Interstellar.

While they dont time Travel in the traditional Sense. The passage of time compared to standard earth time changes drastically.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 04:15 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: didnt see it mentioned so ill add Interstellar.  

While they dont time Travel in the traditional Sense.    The passage of time compared to standard earth time changes drastically.

It's a good recommendation and it's definitely a movie I like.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 06:53 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I’m too lazy to read through the thread and suggestions, but also one of my favorite type of stories:

Looper - Freaking great movie with Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt (On Netflix)

Boss Level - just pure action and comedy with Frank Grillo [on hulu]

Groundhog Day - my favorite comedy you should have seen this one with bill murray

Tenet - Confusing, but fun. Need to watch a few times I think. With John David Washington (Denzel’s son) and everyone’s favorite sparkling vampire (in a good acting job from him)

The Source Code - Fun sci-fi with Jake Gyllenhal and one of my favorite actors that’s never seemingly had a major starring role in anything I’ve seen in Jeffrey Wright.

Midnight in Paris - if you like Woody Allen and Owen Wilson

Edge of Tomorrow - Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt action packed extravaganza. Pretty funny too early on.

The Tomorrow War - Good action movie with Chris Pratt. Just solid fun. Maybe went a bit too long.

Paycheck - an underrated old Ben Affleck movie.

Idiocracy - traveling to what feels like the nearer future everyday. A really dumb comedy.

Black Knight - a really shitty Martin Lawrence comedy I have always loved. Doesn’t compare to any of the above.

Click - one of Adam Sandler better late stage comedies.

The Butterfly Effect - Ashton Kutcher time travel drama. Love this movie. Never saw the direct to dvd sequels though. There’s also 2 endings to this movie I never knew that until recently.

The map of tiny perfect things - a random loop romantic comedy you and the wife/girl could watch maybe? [amazon prime]

Happy Death Day 1/2 - mostly comedy slasher time movie. Really enjoyed the first. Second was okay.

Also forgot to mention on the video game front I really enjoyed Life is Strange. As it is a story game you could really just watch someone play it guess. But it is a teen drama style of game. It gets better and darker as the story progresses along.

I've seen 12/15 of these.  quick comments on some of the newer ones:
  • boss level - just incredibly fun to watch
  • map of tiny perfect things - actually is a cute little date movie.  I liked this more than i probably should've
  • tenet (not really new anymore) I don't care what people say, this movie is great
happy death, idiocracy, and midnight in paris are the 3 i haven't seen.  I'll check them out to see if it's something I'd like!
Reply/Quote
Separately, if anyone cares,

HBOMax is taking a stab at doing a TV series on The Time Travelers Wife. It's got the red head wildling chick from GoT. I never read the book but appreciate the difference in detail this has (versus the Eric Bana/Rachel McAdams version).
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 11:24 PM)basballguy Wrote: I've seen 12/15 of these.  quick comments on some of the newer ones:
  • boss level - just incredibly fun to watch
  • map of tiny perfect things - actually is a cute little date movie.  I liked this more than i probably should've
  • tenet (not really new anymore) I don't care what people say, this movie is great
happy death, idiocracy, and midnight in paris are the 3 i haven't seen.  I'll check them out to see if it's something I'd like!

Finally someone responded to all my hard work from forever ago lol. Map of tiny perfect things is definitely good for a watch with the significant other.

I think you’ll like happy death day. Idiocracy is a story about the present political climate. Midnight in Paris is intriguing.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2022, 03:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Outer Range on Amazon Prime was pretty good. It’s kind of like Yellowstone, but with a sci-fi/time travel twist. And Josh Brolin is a national treasure as far as I’m concerned.

It took me awhile to getting around to watching it, but it was a really great show. Brolin was awesome and I liked the story. Props to you for the recommendation!
Reply/Quote

(06-06-2022, 09:14 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: It took me awhile to getting around to watching it, but it was a really great show. Brolin was awesome and I liked the story. Props to you for the recommendation!

I just started watching this...it's hard to shake the Thanos image out of my head as i watch this....but still enjoyable.  

Has anyone with a soft spot for romance checked out the Time Travelers Wife series on HBO?  All episodes for the first season are now available if you haven't.
Reply/Quote
The House at the End of Time
Coherence
The Endless
Triangle
HORRORMOVIETALK.COM --- HORRORSOCIETY.COM --- NIGHTCHANNELS.COM
DUSTIN GOEBEL ARTWORK @ PINTEREST --- DARK ART @ MACABRE GALLERY

[Image: imageedit-5-9954707407.gif]
Support your favorite artists, independent filmmakers and movie review podcasters

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2022, 10:15 PM)JUDAS MESIAS Wrote: The House at the End of Time
Coherence
The Endless
Triangle

The Endless was pretty weird to be sure
Reply/Quote
Paper Girls on Amazon is great. I’ve read the comics it’s based on, and remember liking them, but the show might be even better. It’s a bit more character focused compared to the more plot/action driven comic.

Reply/Quote
Run Lola Run: Turns the, "Time Travel," trope on its head. Great little German film.
Dark City: Dystopian and weird, but an awesome film. Alex Proyas is a great director.
Non ci Resta, Che Il Crimine (erroneously translated as All You Need is Crime): A fun Italian film with a bunch of big name, MODERN Italian actors, they are soccer fans who get transported to 1982, during the World Cup.
Il Capitale Umano: Another great Italian film, it was remade in 2019 starring Liev Schreiber. This film has the first half or so, flashback 3 times, each in the POV of someone different, so not quite time travel, but switching back and forth.
Swimming Pool: French film that plays with your head in many ways; NOT a time travel film, but absolutely an alternate reality film. One of my favourite film lines ever came from this, a play on the, "every asshole," line: "Awards are like hemorrhoids; eventually, every asshole gets one." LOL

And it's been mentioned, but Donnie Darko is just fantastic, a truly deep film.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2022, 01:30 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Run Lola Run: Turns the, "Time Travel," trope on its head. Great little German film.
Dark City: Dystopian and weird, but an awesome film. Alex Proyas is a great director.
Non ci Resta, Che Il Crimine (erroneously translated as All You Need is Crime): A fun Italian film with a bunch of big name, MODERN Italian actors, they are soccer fans who get transported to 1982, during the World Cup.
Il Capitale Umano: Another great Italian film, it was remade in 2019 starring Liev Schreiber. This film has the first half or so, flashback 3 times, each in the POV of someone different, so not quite time travel, but switching back and forth.
Swimming Pool: French film that plays with your head in many ways; NOT a time travel film, but absolutely an alternate reality film. One of my favourite film lines ever came from this, a play on the, "every asshole," line: "Awards are like hemorrhoids; eventually, every asshole gets one." LOL

And it's been mentioned, but Donnie Darko is just fantastic, a truly deep film.

Dark City is great. 90’s Jennifer Connelly Wub

Reply/Quote