Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time for a Philosophy Change on Defense - LB
(11-18-2018, 08:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We draft LBers?

Did we have LBs on the field today?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Big Grin 
What does Big Foot and the Bengals LB's have in common? In both cases there's shitty video footage questioning their existence. Ba da ding!

I'll be here all night folks, or till I pass out.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't know about much bigger ? We need major help in both position groups. 

With AJ, Boyd, Uzo, Mixon and Gio, the offense can produce good numbers. This LB corp seems to be pretty much poop against everyone. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Oh come on guys, you know the old Merv saying, "we just have to play better"! That won't speed Nickerson up...
Reply/Quote
We need speedy linebackers and we also need a leader type. Burfict used to be the latter but isn't any more.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 10:34 PM)Goalpost Wrote: We need speedy linebackers and we also need a leader type. Burfict used to be the latter but isn't any more.

I don’t know if it’s the lack of PEDs, or if the league essentially nurtured him, but he just doesn’t look the same anymore. He’s only 28 the drop off should not be this bad so soon.

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 10:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t know if it’s the lack of PEDs, or if the league essentially nurtured him, but he just doesn’t look the same anymore. He’s only 28 the drop off should not be this bad so soon.

Yea.  Bad stat of the day.  On a day where Baltimore rushed for 265 yards, Burfict tied for 7th in tackles today(4) with Brandon Wilson. 
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 10:34 PM)Goalpost Wrote: We need speedy linebackers and we also need a leader type.  Burfict used to be the latter but isn't any more.

I don't think Burfict has much left.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 10:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't think Burfict has much left.

Which doesn’t make much sense considering his age, and the amount of games he’s missed. He should have plenty of good football left.

Reply/Quote
Yes, the Bengals need a new philosophy on defense but also new players and especially new coaches. I look at the way good players like Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, and Vontaze Burfict played under Mike Zimmer vice how they played under Teryl Austin and Marvin Lewis and the differences are striking. Under Zimmer, for example, Burfict was all over the field but now he's slow and out of position. That's coaching: Bad coaching.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 10:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Which doesn’t make much sense considering his age, and the amount of games he’s missed. He should have plenty of good football left.

It's time to just waive him. He's going to eventually get a lifetime ban. We're better off replacing him before that happens than reacting after it happens.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 12:04 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's time to just waive him. He's going to eventually get a lifetime ban. We're better off replacing him before that happens than reacting after it happens.

He’s been ok under the new rules. One fine for being too mean to Goodell’s precious Steelers.

I definitely wouldn’t wave him. Not when we’re so thin at LB. I just hope he finds his game at some point. It’s not like there’s anyone better behind him that he’s holding back.

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 12:16 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s been ok under the new rules. One fine for being too mean to Goodell’s precious Steelers.

I definitely wouldn’t wave him. Not when we’re so thin at LB. I just hope he finds his game at some point. It’s not like there’s anyone better behind him that he’s holding back.

For clarity: I'd waive him in the offseason and move on. Not during this season.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 11:02 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes, the Bengals need a new philosophy on defense but also new players and especially new coaches.  I look at the way good players like Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, and Vontaze Burfict played under Mike Zimmer vice how they played under Teryl Austin and Marvin Lewis and the differences are striking.  Under Zimmer, for example, Burfict was all over the field but now he's slow and out of position.  That's coaching:  Bad coaching.

What? he has played what 4 games this season;  came out of shape then got hurt how is that on Marvin or Austin?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 09:10 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I would be disappointed in M Jefferson, but I have no idea what's going on with this guy. Is he really that bad to not see the field with our LB's playing historically bad or are the coaches just not playing him for whatever reason. I heard his name today for the first time on ST. I was stoked when we drafted him. Damn

He’s pretty bad. He’s really athletic, which is cool. However, he can’t read a play to save his life. He looked completely outclassed for the majority of the pre-season. Right now, he is likely a worse, but more athletic, version of Hardy Nickerson.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 01:16 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: He’s pretty bad. He’s really athletic, which is cool. However, he can’t read a play to save his life. He looked completely outclassed for the majority of the pre-season. Right now, he is likely a worse, but more athletic, version of Hardy Nickerson.

Well hell. How did he become Big 12 DPY?
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 01:16 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: He’s pretty bad. He’s really athletic, which is cool. However, he can’t read a play to save his life. He looked completely outclassed for the majority of the pre-season. Right now, he is likely a worse, but more athletic, version of Hardy Nickerson.

He really impressed me against the Colts in the last preseason. Maybe that was the old Margus Hunt game to keep him on the roster but the guy showed a ton of promise. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

How do you know this? Or are you just repeating a narrative some others been saying about him. He didnt look bad the little bit of timehe got in vs the saints,he looked like a sure tackler with some speed. Not saying hed be a stud but id bet if he was put in hed be better then what we are throwing out there. 
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 10:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t know if it’s the lack of PEDs, or if the league essentially nurtured him, but he just doesn’t look the same anymore. He’s only 28 the drop off should not be this bad so soon.

I thought about this too from his first game back and he was bouncing off guys. I mean just last year he was still good. Its really bizarre he became bad. I thought maybe he was on peds. 
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 10:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Which doesn’t make much sense considering his age, and the amount of games he’s missed. He should have plenty of good football left.

Maybe his wife had a little sit-down with him about writing checks to the league every time he rings somebody's bell.  Fines happen, but damn that dude's shelled out some serious money in fines.  At some point, maybe you have to make a financial decision and quit while you still have some money in the bank, lol.
Reply/Quote