Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time for a Philosophy Change on Defense - LB
(11-19-2018, 01:53 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Well hell. How did he become Big 12 DPY?

He was a good college linebacker, but very raw. I’m not saying he will never be good, but he isn’t very good right now.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 02:25 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: How do you know this? Or are you just repeating a narrative some others been saying about him. He didnt look bad the little bit of timehe got in vs the saints,he looked like a sure tackler with some speed. Not saying hed be a stud but id bet if he was put in hed be better then what we are throwing out there. 

I watched him during the pre-season, where he struggled against everyone except for the Colts. Struggled to read and diagnose plays, bad angles. That’s really all we have to go off of. It’s an accurate “narrative”. The guy, flat out, did not look good. The same thing happened in college until his final season. He struggled to put it all together until the end, so he can develop.

I’m open to seeing him play, and I could be flat out wrong. I just don’t think he’d be much better, if at all better, than Hardy Nickerson right now.
Reply/Quote
Heard that LB on West Virginia is pretty good. Long i think is his name?

Already thinking about the Draft, damn. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 01:16 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: He’s pretty bad. He’s really athletic, which is cool. However, he can’t read a play to save his life. He looked completely outclassed for the majority of the pre-season. Right now, he is likely a worse, but more athletic, version of Hardy Nickerson.

We need a new LB coach man, anyone that tried to scout Malik knew the mental aspect was his weakness.

He has tons of talent, big and athletic, he can tackle and cover. Haslett is the problem.
Reply/Quote
We need athleticism at that position.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Or draft one in the 1st or 2nd. I’m tired of ignoring the position.

The 2019 LB crop is weak. The good news is the OL depth is considered the best since 2010. The Bengals could easily solidify its line in the first three rounds.
Reply/Quote
Most of the defense looked better yesterday, with the exception of one group. It's obvious that the LBs are the biggest issue with this defense. Even with Merv dumbing it down from Austin's scheme, they get torched.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 07:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: On defense, it seems like the Bengals try to build a team to compete with the mid-2000's Steelers.

We draft and sign big, plodding LBs who are slow and powerful and can't cover a TE. Even guys that we've drafted like Vigil who were smaller have had bad 40 times.

It's time to get smaller guys who can run and cover. That's the way the league is going. Maybe even play a Safety at LB who can run and cover.

In free agency, we need to target guys like Denzel Perryman, Kwon Alexander, Deone Buchanon (who was a safety).

No more big and slow guys.

Not sure why this is posted now when we've all been preaching this for the past 5-10 years.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 02:04 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: The 2019 LB crop is weak. The good news is the OL depth is considered the best since 2010. The Bengals could easily solidify its line in the first three rounds.

If the Bengals wanted to shell out money to help solidify the position, pursue CJ Mosley in FA (assuming he doesn't get tagged or extended by Baltimore before FA starts).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 07:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We draft and sign big, plodding LBs who are slow and powerful and can't cover a TE. Even guys that we've drafted like Vigil who were smaller have had bad 40 times.

It's time to get smaller guys who can run and cover. That's the way the league is going. Maybe even play a Safety at LB who can run and cover.

I don't think this is correct.  The last two seasons we have drafted smaller faster DEs (Lawson, Hubbard, Willis) and the last two LBs we have drafted have been extremely athletic.  Here are Jordan Evans pro day numbers and how they would have ranked among the LBs at the 2017 combine.

4.50 forty...………………..2nd
4.28 short shuttle...……..6th
38.5 vertical...……………..1st

Here are Malik Jefferson's numbers and how they ranked among LBs at the 2018 combine

4.52 forty...…………………3rd
36.0 vertical...……………..7th
10'5" broad jump...……...4th
Reply/Quote