Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time of posession
We are currently 31st in the league the 49ers are worse by about 20 seconds a game. Over the last 3 we are last by a significant margin their is more of a gap between us and 31 than their is from 31 to the top 10. winning teams control this stat this years team not so much
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2017, 04:23 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: We are currently 31st in the league the 49ers are worse by about 20 seconds a game. Over the last 3 we are last by a significant margin their is more of a gap between us and 31 than their is from 31 to the top 10. winning teams control this stat this years team not so much

No surprise with the culprits. We know both of their names, the guy who is the worst 2nd half coach in all of football
and the coach who is terrible at coaching up run blocking. The only hope this team has is the passing game that is
hampered by that same HC that is the worst 2nd half coach in all of football and that same run blocking coach.
Reply/Quote
Not much of a surprise when our 3rd down conversion is so poor. The Jax game was brutal and it continued into Tennessee. 2/18 I think it was. Once it gets to 3rd down I give up on the series. I wait for a Dalton sack or throw away.
Reply/Quote
Which is why the defense can’t win games.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If you can't run the ball with any sort of consistent success, you can't run clock. If the OL that you have in front can't block, you'll never be able to run, or pass the ball with any sort of success.

Can't blame the defense for being on the field all game. The offense never gets them any rest.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2017, 10:01 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Not much of a surprise when our 3rd down conversion is so poor. The Jax game was brutal and it continued into Tennessee. 2/18 I think it was. Once it gets to 3rd down I give up on the series. I wait for a Dalton sack or throw away.

We are also terrible on first down and that is where it starts.
Reply/Quote
More condemning evidence against the O-Line. Can't run ball, get behind in the chains, can't convert third downs, and everything snowballs.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2017, 11:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We are also terrible on first down and that is where it starts.

I'm not sure where or even if it's out there ? But I'd love to know our rushing stats on 1st down, I'd bet the average is below 2 yards. I'd also bet we're at or very near the top in no gain or losses on 1st down runs. 

Behind the chains BOOM right off the bat. Defense licking chops and pinning ears back for up coming pass rush downs.

3 and out city = no time of possession
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2017, 11:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We are also terrible on first down and that is where it starts.

We are terrible on all downs. Add to our poor TOP stats, we avg 11.3pts in first half which is 14th in NFL. In second half, we are ranked dead last at 5.2. This is beyond horrible.

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 12:01 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm not sure where or even if it's out there ? But I'd love to know our rushing stats on 1st down, I'd bet the average is below 2 yards. I'd also bet we're at or very near the top in no gain or losses on 1st down runs. 

Behind the chains BOOM right off the bat. Defense licking chops and pinning ears back for up coming pass rush downs.

3 and out city = no time of possession

We are at 3.1yds per attempt on all rushing attempts which is ranked 31st. However, my gut tells me 1st down attempts are probably less than that number.

Reply/Quote
I listened to the Tennessee game on the radio. They were talking late in the game about how challiening it was for the offense because they had been put so long.
Reply/Quote
We are routinely doubled up, I'm guessing our TOP hovers in the low 20s. Often time I see we've got 16 minutes to their 32, it's ridiculous to expect we can win.

When I watch the trash we put out there, I have a hard time believing we're not worse than the win-less Browns.

EDIT: I looked up some statistics.
  • Last in time of possession.
  • We have the least offensive scrimmage plays per game in the league.
  • 3rd to last in points per game.
  • Last in number of yards per game.
  • Last in number of first downs per game.
  • Last in 3rd downs made. (maybe more importantly, 2nd to last in 3rd down percentage)
  • 5th most penalized team (offense).
  • Tied for 2nd to last in number of fumbles lost.
  • 3rd to last in turnover differential.
A lot of those go hand in hand, TOP and last in 1st downs is what causes the dreary game watching. We don't look like we belong in the NFL out there (offensively), lol, and statistically we don't.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2017, 10:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If you can't run the ball with any sort of consistent success, you can't run clock.  If the OL that you have in front can't block, you'll never be able to run, or pass the ball with any sort of success.

Can't blame the defense for being on the field all game.  The offense never gets them any rest.

BINGO....
that's it.....
O-line sucks we can't do squat....
no run game....
A.D. running for his life....

SMH....
the Bengals have to fix this....
they need to draft an entire new O-line....
b/c the 4 guys we have now are total garbage.....
Reply/Quote
The offense is historically awful, but its not all on them. Maybe stop with the bend-don't-break defense that Guenther has commissioned? It merely leads to long drives ALL THE TIME.
“It’s easy for everybody to say to make that change," Lewis said last week. "But ... when that change doesn’t work out, what do you do?"

Marvin Lewis on why he refused to make a change at the kicker position.
Reply/Quote
I think on offense we need to find one thing and just concentrate on that, whatever it is. Is it "always gain more than 3 yards on first down"? There's too much wrong (and mostly related) but if all of their minds are on one thing they might at least be slightly below average instead of worst in the league lol.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Updated after Bronco Game we are gaining on 49ers for last place was a 33 second advantage for Bengals down to 18. Due to the pathetic bills were still last in last 3 but bills are pretty awful in last 3 now as well. Bills still have A minute 28 second advantage over Bengals. due to the pathetic Bills I cant tout the difference being monumentally as bad. the difference between us and 30 over last 3 is same as difference between 30 and top 5
Reply/Quote
Horrible O-Line
No Run Game
WRs Not Very Good Outside Of Green
1st Round Playmaker/TD Producer TE Not Playing
Dalton Is Trying But He's Not Aaron Rodgers (or close even to great if you don't like names)
Defense plays Too Soft Zone
Pass Rush Sometimes Disappears
Turnover Differential Season Average Low
Too Many Uncontested Passed You Could Dink & Dunk All Day
Unreliable Kicker

All of these equate to lack of TOP and low scoring output

Also throw in bad coaching with unexperienced offensive coordinators

Really adds up to a whole lot of sucking.  Not surprised at all.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2017, 12:00 PM)Madieu Superstar Wrote: The offense is historically awful, but its not all on them. Maybe stop with the bend-don't-break defense that Guenther has commissioned? It merely leads to long drives ALL THE TIME.

THANK YOU. I've been thinking the same about the bend-don't-break defense. I get that the offense is a huge issue, but the TOP problem has 2 sides to it.

I'll just repost this here:

Problem #1: We rushed for 49 yards on 26 carries (1.9 per rush). Dalton had our only rushing 1st down. Think about that for a minute. And it's been that bad for awhile. We've averaged 52.0 rush yards in our last 5 games. That's laughably bad. We're now DEAD LAST in rush yards and YPC. 

The top rushing teams are Jax (160.6 yards on 4.6 YPC), Philly (144.6 yards on 4.6 YPC) and NO (144.0 on 4.8 YPC).

We're averaging 68.0 yards on 3.0 YPC for the season.

Problem #2: This defense can't get off the field on 3rd downs. Denver converted 12 of 21 third downs plus a 4th down conversion. Tennessee and Jacksonville also pummeled us on 3rd downs. I hate that people are so defensive about this and turn into an either/or issue. The defense is not without fault. They are contributing to the TOP problem.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 08:48 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: We are terrible on all downs. Add to our poor TOP stats, we avg 11.3pts in first half which is 14th in NFL. In second half, we are ranked dead last at 5.2. This is beyond horrible.

That means the last two weeks we've upped our second half totals.  PROGRESS!!!!!
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 02:40 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That means the last two weeks we've upped our second half totals.  PROGRESS!!!!!

Minimal but yes.

Reply/Quote