Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time's People of the Year

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://www.wtae.com/article/time-announces-2018s-person-of-the-year/25469581?utm_campaign=WTAE&utm_content=5c0fb683c58f6c000149dede&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=trueAnthem:+New+Content+(Feed)

Quote:According to NBC News, the Committee to Protect Journalists documented 262 cases of imprisoned journalists around the world in 2017. The publication also cited government officials dismissing critical, real reporting as "fake news," as their reasoning for the selection.

Among the individuals spotlighted in the report:
  1. Jamal Khashoggi, the Washington Post columnist and United States resident who was critical of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. Khashoggi was brutally killed inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Turkey, in October.
  2. Four journalists and a sales associate gunned down in a mass shooting at the Capital Gazette in Maryland in July.
  3. Reuters journalists Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo were sentenced to seven years in prison by a judge in Myanmar. The two broke a colonial-era state secrets law while reporting on the military's mass killing of Rohingya Muslims.
  4. Maria Ressa, CEO and executive editor of Rappler, has reported on Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte. His website has been deemed a "campaign of legal harassment" from Duterte's Department of Justice.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
This doesn't seem self congratulatory at all. I've also always found it interesting that journalists are routinely murdered in Mexico and that it receives zero coverage. I think John Stewart absolutely nailed it when he stated that the press has taken recent events personally.
(12-11-2018, 10:28 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: This doesn't seem self congratulatory at all.  I've also always found it interesting that journalists are routinely murdered in Mexico and that it receives zero coverage.  I think John Stewart absolutely nailed it when he stated that the press has taken recent events personally.

Of course. 

After two years of "fake news" "enemy of the people" and high profile killings defended by the POTUS I suppose they felt like just being "self congratulatory" to piss off people.   Mellow
(12-11-2018, 10:45 AM)GMDino Wrote: Of course. 

After two years of "fake news" "enemy of the people" and high profile killings defended by the POTUS I suppose they felt like just being "self congratulatory" to piss off people.   Mellow

Not what I said and it's odd that you would infer that.  Journalists gave an award to journalists, I point out that this is rather self congratulatory, which it is.  I didn't say a single thing about it being done to "piss off people".
(12-11-2018, 11:01 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Not what I said and it's odd that you would infer that.  Journalists gave an award to journalists, I point out that this is rather self congratulatory, which it is.  I didn't say a single thing about it being done to "piss off people".

I guess I wasn't talk about you then.   ThumbsUp

Anyway I explained why it may not so much "self congratulatory" as a good choice based on the current culture concerning media.
(12-11-2018, 10:28 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I've also always found it interesting that journalists are routinely murdered in Mexico and that it receives zero coverage.  

The difference was this was a state sponsored torture and assassination of a member of the media, which is different then a criminal organization like a cartel doing it.
(12-11-2018, 10:14 AM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.wtae.com/article/time-announces-2018s-person-of-the-year/25469581?utm_campaign=WTAE&utm_content=5c0fb683c58f6c000149dede&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=trueAnthem:+New+Content+(Feed)

An excellent and surprising selection.  

I still think a lot of people don't get why press freedom is so important to democracy, and why U.S. tolerance of the murder of a WaPo journalist might have wider, worldwide consequences. 

This fits what I said on the NK thread about Fox framing of elites: journalists are part of the liberal establishment and working against Trump's effort to undermine control of global elites. Nevermind that the Saudi part of the global elite killed Kashoggi for a plan to watchdog them, and the US part provides cover.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-11-2018, 01:37 PM)Au165 Wrote: The difference was this was a state sponsored torture and assassination of a member of the media, which is different then a criminal organization like a cartel doing it.

Even more difference: in this case the Trump administration, including son-in-law, provided cover and comfort to the head-of-state who sponsored the murder. 

The Time cover is a statement not about one murder elevated over others which remain ignored, but the larger, worldwide state of affairs, in which various national publics follow the lead of authoritarian leaders in denigrating the free press. 
(12-11-2018, 01:37 PM)Au165 Wrote: The difference was this was a state sponsored torture and assassination of a member of the media, which is different then a criminal organization like a cartel doing it.

You're clearly unfamiliar with the level of political corruption and cartel influence in Mexico.
(12-11-2018, 03:33 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You're clearly unfamiliar with the level of political corruption and cartel influence in Mexico.

I am actually really familiar with it due to my work with Customs and Border Protection, but with that said however you may try to spin it they are still completely different things. The Mexican President has never ordered a hit on a reporter because he disagreed with them. 
(12-11-2018, 10:28 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: This doesn't seem self congratulatory at all.  I've also always found it interesting that journalists are routinely murdered in Mexico and that it receives zero coverage.  I think John Stewart absolutely nailed it when he stated that the press has taken recent events personally.

On the one hand I don't like it. Journalists, by and large, are supposed to tell the story, not be the story .on the other hand, there are a minority of people with a lot of influence making that a difficult thing to do. And, as the selections show, it's not a problem inherent to any one part of the globe.

(12-11-2018, 10:28 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: This doesn't seem self congratulatory at all.

(12-11-2018, 11:01 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:  I point out that this is rather self congratulatory, which it is.  

I am lost here.  Do you think it is self-congratulatory or not?

And what is your point?  It seems you are suggesting there is something wrong with it, but it is hard to tell.
(12-11-2018, 04:23 PM)Au165 Wrote: I am actually really familiar with it due to my work with Customs and Border Protection, but with that said however you may try to spin it they are still completely different things. The Mexican President has never ordered a hit on a reporter because he disagreed with them. 

Oh, I agree they aren't perfect parallels and I do agree that the KAS example is by far the most egregious.  I'm just wondering why we never hear about the journalists murdered in Mexico if we're all so worried about journalists being mistreated/murdered.  Not a mention of a Mexican journalist in the OP at all.  Also the Baltimore shooting was a long burning feud, I have a hard time tying that one into the current attack on the journalistic profession. 

(12-11-2018, 05:37 PM)Benton Wrote: On the one hand I don't like it. Journalists, by and large, are supposed to tell the story, not be the story .on the other hand, there are a minority of people with a lot of influence making that a difficult thing to do. And, as the selections show, it's not a problem inherent to any one part of the globe. 

Well stated.  I think that they take Trump so personally that they do often make themselves the story.  Making your own profession "person of the year" strikes me as very self serving and gauche.  The stories are certainly important and they should be widely discussed, but the whole thing reeks of self serving platitudes.

(12-11-2018, 06:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am lost here.  Do you think it is self-congratulatory or not?

And what is your point?  It seems you are suggesting there is something wrong with it, but it is hard to tell.

As you're apparently unfamiliar with the adult concept known as sarcasm your confusion is hardly surprising.
Good choice
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]