Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to Step up
Good read...

https://www.clnsmedia.com/time-to-step-up-joe-burrow-needs-to-own-everything-about-the-bengals/

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Also From SI. How concerned is Burrow about the hits he's taken?

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/joe-burrow-ready-for-more-hits-week-3-pittsburgh-steelers

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 02:59 PM)jj22 Wrote: Also From SI. How concerned is Burrow about the hits he's taken?

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/joe-burrow-ready-for-more-hits-week-3-pittsburgh-steelers

Taking hits is going to happen.

But dont take ones you dont need to.   Be smart And youll get more downs to try again

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/zac-taylor-is-betting-favorite-to-be-the-first-head-coach-fired
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 02:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: Good read...

https://www.clnsmedia.com/time-to-step-up-joe-burrow-needs-to-own-everything-about-the-bengals/

Thoughts?

Meh, doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Claiming that Burrow can fix the O-line by "sitting down with them and having a heart-to-heart" with them is BS.  So is claiming his "locker room demeanor" will somehow make the Bengals better.

Not even Tom Brady can "will his team to win" by "owning everything".  He has only won when he had a lot of talent and good coaching around him.  Burrow is a QB, not a magician.  The Bengals will play better when ALL the players and coaches perform better.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 02:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: Good read...

Thoughts?

Personally, with Pittsburgh's DL banged up, I'd like to see the Bengals lean more on Mixon and the running game. All three RBs really could get into the game and contribute.

This isn't the Taylor way though so I doubt we'll actually see it. 

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 03:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Meh, doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Claiming that Burrow can fix the O-line by "sitting down with them and having a heart-to-heart" with them is BS.  So is claiming his "locker room demeanor" will somehow make the Bengals better.

Not even Tom Brady can "will his team to win" by "owning everything".  He has only won when he had a lot of talent and good coaching around him.  Burrow is a QB, not a magician.  The Bengals will play better when ALL the players and coaches perform better.
Yeah Burrow can't fix everything but there is some truth to the demanding excellence thing and I do think Tom Brady is proof. 
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 03:39 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Personally, with Pittsburgh's DL banged up, I'd like to see the Bengals lean more on Mixon and the running game. All three RBs really could get into the game and contribute.

I would like to see us get the other running backs more involved. We need a balanced attack but I don't want to be running just to run to balance the numbers. We need to find what's working and find ways to get Mixon some space.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 03:48 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Yeah Burrow can't fix everything but there is some truth to the demanding excellence thing and I do think Tom Brady is proof. 

Tom Brady is not evidence of any value to "demanding excellence".  Brady is an amazing QB, but he has only won when he had good talent and coaching around him.

Why didn't he just "demand excellence" in 2019 when he looked like crap against the Titans in the playoffs?
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 02:59 PM)jj22 Wrote: Also From SI. How concerned is Burrow about the hits he's taken?

Obviously not concerned enough to throw the ball away to avoid some of those hits.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 03:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Tom Brady is not evidence of any value to "demanding excellence".  Brady is an amazing QB, but he has only won when he had good talent and coaching around him.

Why didn't he just "demand excellence" in 2019 when he looked like crap against the Titans in the playoffs?

I would say that 2019 is probably more the exception and not the rule. Tom Brady has only missed the playoffs once as a starter and never had a losing season. Atleast what I saw quickly looking it up. Sure you could point to a bad division and there has been other good quarterbacks to thrive in a bad division. But they don't have Brady's superbowl rings or his playoff record.
I'd say that all players that make it to the NFL are talented. I also think it's fair to say that the X factor that determines a players success in the NFL beyond talent is they're determination to be great. So yes I think if you have a quarterback who is pushing all the players around him to be great on every single play that absolutely makes a difference.
Reply/Quote
Time to step up? Well if they want to step up they’re going to have to increase the passes.Turn Burrow loose.This Offense was projected to be one of the best in the league this year.Prior to the season,there was alot of hype about Burrow and his weapons on Offense.

The Bears only scored 13 points against our defense.If the Bengals pick up where they left off with the Vikings and Bears in this predictable vanilla Offense,they’ll get blown out.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 05:18 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'd say that all players that make it to the NFL are talented. I also think it's fair to say that the X factor that determines a players success in the NFL beyond talent is they're determination to be great. So yes I think if you have a quarterback who is pushing all the players around him to be great on every single play that absolutely makes a difference.

I 100% agree that talent is not enough and "drive" makes the difference on who succeeds in the NFL.

I just don't buy it that all the other players are just sitting around not trying unless the QB starts yelling at them.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 06:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I 100% agree that talent is not enough and "drive" makes the difference on who succeeds in the NFL.

I just don't buy it that all the other players are just sitting around not trying unless the QB starts yelling at them.

No I agree. I was just saying it's a factor but certainly not the only factor.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 03:51 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I would like to see us get the other running backs more involved. We need a balanced attack but I don't want to be running just to run to balance the numbers. We need to find what's working and find ways to get Mixon some space.

Yes, I just see that there's an opportunity to exploit their run defense.

Also, Mixon's career catch percentage is 80%. I don't believe we throw to him enough. He can be tough to bring down after he's caught the ball.

Reply/Quote
When I first read the title of the OP, I thought this was going to be a thread about ZT buying a Squatty Potty. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 06:44 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yes, I just see that there's an opportunity to exploit their run defense.

Also, Mixon's career catch percentage is 80%. I don't believe we throw to him enough. He can be tough to bring down after he's caught the ball.

I haven't seen how they're injuries our shaking out as far as if some of the people that were hurt look like they'll play or not. It looks like Higgins may not play. I haven't watched any of they're games but it looked like they were more susceptible against the pass. Let me know if I'm wrong I know Allen didn't do a ton and Singletary had a good game. But last week I know the Raiders didn't have Jacobs but they barely did anything rushing and Carr had a lot of yards.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 06:44 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yes, I just see that there's an opportunity to exploit their run defense.

Also yes I completely agree on Mixon needing to be targeted more and think we should have a few pass plays set up for him a game. I'd also like to see what Evans can do in the pass game.
Reply/Quote
I believe it would do wonders for Burrow and the Bengals confidence if he can for first time lead us to a victory against division opponent (0-4 last year) and a road win, he has yet to win on the road. The Steelers are not as good as they have been in the past on offense, seems like a bit of a banged up defense, perfect time to step up, take over a game and finish it..
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 03:39 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Personally, with Pittsburgh's DL banged up, I'd like to see the Bengals lean more on Mixon and the running game. All three RBs really could get into the game and contribute.

Actually, that is exactly what I expect to see. Taylor's playcalling since Burrow limped off the field in the 1st game has been plays to try to protect him. I expect a big dose of runs Sunday.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 05:48 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Time to step up? Well if they want to step up they’re going to have to increase the passes.Turn Burrow loose.This Offense was projected to be one of the best in the league this year.Prior to the season,there was alot of hype about Burrow and his weapons on Offense.

The Bears only scored 13 points against our defense.If the Bengals pick up where they left off with the Vikings and Bears in this predictable vanilla Offense,they’ll get blown out.

They've cut Burrow's passes significantly and he's barely lasted 2 games, and has already suffered an injury. Do we really want him dropping back more? It's the run game they are going to have to lean on again.

Reply/Quote