Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to cut our losses
I know it will never happen with such inept people running this show but Zac Taylor has to go. Dude has no clue and take Finley and your garbage staff with you. Just watch the rams and its quite obvious the great Sean McVay offense has been figured out. Im sorry but this franchise needs someone with actual experience and knowledge
Reply/Quote
This was on Bengals.com. Basically it sounds like Taylor is making friends with everyone in the Bengals organization and he's easy to get along with. He'll be here presumably for 3 years...even if he goes 0-16:

Q: Is Zac Taylor to CIN what Josh McDaniels was to DEN? If he is, should the franchise get out of the contract now before he can put his fingerprints on the 2020 draft? I’m holding onto fleeting hope that 2021 will look more like 1981. Drew Bretz, Denver, CO

A: DREW: From what I have been able to gather from the scribes that covered the Broncos, McDaniels struggled with winning over people in the organization. He seemed to have a habit of souring people on every floor. Who knows? But that’s what people thought and has been reported.
Taylor is at the other end of the spectrum. He seems to have good buy-in from the coaches, players and organization. And while Taylor may not have that Belichick-Brady pedigree, he’s worked to get the respect in all corners of the building. He came out of McVay’s “value-everyone’s-job,” Super Bowl culture and he’s made a concerted effort to make himself accessible and comfortable to be around and easy to work with when it comes to personnel, marketing and everything else. The players have been behind the guy, so I don’t see this being a meltdown like that.

I’m with you on 2021 and 1981. That ’81 AFC title came in Forest Gregg’s second year on the job after a 3-9 start that first season. 2021 would be Taylor’s third season. Sam Wyche, the Bengals other Super Bowl coach, went to the postseason for the first time in his fifth season. Take away the three games of the ’87 strike and going into that ’88 season his record was 30-30.

https://www.bengals.com/news/hobson-s-choice-floor-is-open
Reply/Quote
Q - Hey Geoff. Bengals fan since 1974. First time writer because I can’t hold it in any longer. My ? Is Doesn't this coaching staff resemble the same debacle when Shuler was hired? Same Miami roots and same old Bengals now. 2nd part. How can HC say he wants to win now when he doesn’t play the best players? Andy only lost by one score to Balt. So glad my 2nd favorite team is the Pats. Erik Whitaker, Lexington, NC

A - ERIK: Thank you for writing in. I hope you do it again and thanks for being here for 45 years. Couldn’t disagree more with you, though, and respectfully. First, and it’s a minor point because it’s three decades apart and irrelevant, but, yes, Shula had Miami roots through his father. But even though Taylor worked in Miami, his coaching roots are with the Rams and Sean McVay and not Joe Philbin’s Dolphins.

And, let’s be fair about the thing. David Shula had 71 games. You need to be in it a few years before you declare a coaching staff a dynasty or debacle. Plus, there’s a big structural difference in that long-ago staff and this one. Taylor is building his own offense and is hands-on in every way. His structure, his scheme, his play calls. (Shula, it will be recalled, basically inherited Sam Wyche’s offensive staff and gutted the defense.)

That was a big factor in going with an offensive play-caller as head coach. The move to Taylor came in the wake of the offense struggling with inconsistencies associated with four coordinators in six years. Jay Gruden, Hue Jackson, Ken Zampese, and Bill Lazor. Call it the Andy Reid model. The Bengals are looking to build winning offense on consistency from the top no matter the changes underneath. (Time for another Kyle Shanahan look-in.)

In terms of “best players”, that’s a good question. Like Zac says, all teams have to have a balance between now and the future. For the most part, he is playing the best players. Yes, he sat down Andy Dalton, but given the lack of scoring and the effort to trade up to acquire Finley, it seems like not working with Finley would be negligent. And it’s not like the Bengals were 2-6 with Dalton. I would imagine that’s the only one you’re talking about. Pratt over Preston Brown is certainly going with not only the better player, but one with a higher upside.
Reply/Quote
I saw Finley throw into triple coverage multiple times against the Raiders.  I like ZT as a person and I believe that he is talented.  I just don't think that he's a HC at this point in his career.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 10:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This was on Bengals.com. Basically it sounds like Taylor is making friends with everyone in the Bengals organization and he's easy to get along with. He'll be here presumably for 3 years...even if he goes 0-16:

Mike Brown gave Shula a 2 year extension after going 8-24 and didn't fire him until he went 19-52.
He tried to talk Coslet out of quitting after an painfully embarrassing 5-25 stretch.
He was unhappy about letting LeBeau's contract expire after he went 2-14.
He gave Marvin 16 years and multiple extensions after playoff disasters.

I think it's safe to say that Zac will be the head coach next year. 

As far as him making friends in the organization, he's probably trying to follow the Marvin blueprint --- basically becoming part of 'the family' and ensuring his job security for the next 2 decades.
Reply/Quote
I'm torn. Hard to want to cut bait after 1 year.

But what worries me the most is that he comes from McVay's system, and clearly has tried to use it. And McVay's team is no where near what it was doing. Has the league caught up? Or has talent for them gone down?

I'm not cutting bait unless we can pull an absolute stud. Maybe a top end college coach who's shown good skill on offense & defense.
Reply/Quote
Come on, you guys know how this works. Coach will come back and the coordinator’s will get replaced. Changes will add up to about a 4 Win season next year and believing otherwise is just silly.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 10:33 PM)uticabengalfan Wrote: I know it will never happen with such inept people running this show but Zac Taylor has to go. Dude has no clue and take Finley and your garbage staff with you. Just watch the rams and its quite obvious the great Sean McVay offense has been figured out. Im sorry but this franchise needs someone with actual experience and knowledge

But they only lost by 7!!!11!111111!!!

They're so close!!!!11!11!!1!111111111!!!!!

One play here, one play there...!!!!1!111111!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!

It's gotta turn around any week now!!!11!! Stay the course!!11!1!!1!!!!!!!!!1111111!!!!!!!!!!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
There are times for staying the course. There are times for making a change. Honestly, it’s time for a change and I’m sorry to say it. Like many, I gulped down the Zac Taylor “New Dey” Kool-Aid and it tasted so sweet at first — but this Kool-Aid was filled with artificial sweetener, not the real thing. It turns out all of us — Mike Brown included — were sold a bill of goods. If Zac was a car he would be a lemon. He might have nailed the interview but it seems he might have exaggerated a bit — or a lot.

I would cut bait because it’s not getting better. I fear further regression.
Reply/Quote
We aren't good at letting things go.

Take Gio for example.. man that guy let us down today on that 3rd down drop. Cmon man!!!
Reply/Quote
No decent HC with experience is going to come here.
At best you're getting some kind of reclamation project. Like a Petrino, but at the Pro level. Jim Turner if he was a HC. I don't have any actual names in mind.

It's funny actually. After blowing smoke up everyone's asses for years (including their HC), they've (The Family) got a guy blowing smoke at them. I
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 10:33 PM)uticabengalfan Wrote: I know it will never happen with such inept people running this show but Zac Taylor has to go. Dude has no clue and take Finley and your garbage staff with you. Just watch the rams and its quite obvious the great Sean McVay offense has been figured out. Im sorry but this franchise needs someone with actual experience and knowledge

We need to give him another two years to rebuild.  He basically inherited a shit show so I wouldn't judge him on this year alone.  It's not like great coaches will be breaking down the door trying to come here anyway.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2019, 04:37 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: We need to give him another two years to rebuild.  He basically inherited a shit show so I wouldn't judge him on this year alone.  It's not like great coaches will be breaking down the door trying to come here anyway.

Woah woah now.

Who said anything about "great" coaches?

A competent coach would be nice for starters.

Unless he cleans house of coordinators and staff again I have zero faith in him.

There is nothing but media spin and the Brown family that points to him actually being HC material in the first place.

I couldn't give a rat's ass if Mcvay gave him the stamp of approval.

There have been numerous occasions of incompetence by playcalling/gameplanning on his part.

They can't put all of their failures on injuries and poor players.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
This team can't even win "winnable" games.

That should speak volumes about Taylor and company.

The quote by Eifert about finding a way to lose should also be telling in the mindset of the players.

Zac does not instill confidence in these guys at all.
Reply/Quote
I’m on the fence with Zac. Sure the play calling is horrible, everything about this team is just so bad right now. I hate to say this cause it sounds all too familiar with this team and being complacent but who else would come here. Zac May be our only option for now so might as well see what he can do with another offseason and high picks. He has to show some accountability though for this shit show and give up calling plays. He needs to put business over friendship and fire the coaches that are contributing to this circus and do what he can to convince MB to be involved in FA early to fill some needs before the draft. If he insist on calling the plays, keeps the coordinators the same and makes another Sample type pick I will be done with him.
Reply/Quote
Id be willing to bet Jay Gruden would take the job. Personally i think he would be alot better than what we have
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2019, 08:34 AM)TKUHL Wrote: I’m on the fence with Zac. Sure the play calling is horrible, everything about this team is just so bad right now. I hate to say this cause it sounds all too familiar with this team and being complacent but who else would come here. Zac May be our only option for now so might as well see what he can do with another offseason and high picks. He has to show some accountability though for this shit show and give up calling plays. He needs to put business over friendship and fire the coaches that are contributing to this circus and do what he can to convince MB to be involved in FA early to fill some needs before the draft. If he insist on calling the plays, keeps the coordinators the same and makes another Sample type pick I will be done with him.

Good luck with all of that.

I seriously doubt Mike Brown will have an epiphany.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2019, 09:24 AM)uticabengalfan Wrote: Id be willing to bet Jay Gruden would take the job. Personally i think he would be alot better than what we have

I second that.

He won't change Brown's ways but knows how to work with him.

Let's just put it this way.

Marvin type with hope of different in game play calling and an eye for offensive talent.

I'll take that.  

If you guys think Zac could be better than Gruden prove it.

Show me something that points in that direction in his career.

All you've got is he was a QB coach for a SB team that flounder in the championship game.
Reply/Quote
It doesn't matter, Zac, Jon Doe, the likelihood of Bengals fans stumbling on a Marvin Lewis again and seeing a winning season is highly doubtful for the next couple generations. Only people not coming to terms with this is those who only know the Marvin era and think that's the standard. It isn't. It's the outlier of a MB and Co run franchise.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

My, how soon people forget that Marvin Lewis coached the Bengals to a 10 game losing streak in 2010, just a year before they went on a 5 year playoff run that included a couple of division Championships.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote