Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to give some props to Frank Pollack
(11-30-2022, 09:14 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Man I'm a Mixon fan and I highly doubt they cut him. But if they made a move like that and decided to draft a RB in the 2nd round to replace him. Then I hope they find a way to pay Bates and Vonn Bell. I know all the talk about Bates not deserving top money but I think they could find a middle ground with increased guaranteed money. I was just thinking the other day that we are very lucky to have the defense that we have and changing things up in the back end of the secondary could have major impacts for this defense.

I mean I like Mixon, but not at that price, and there ain't a lot of tread left on those tires... I personally don't see the point of even entertaining the idea of re-signing Bates with DAX and CTB waiting in the wings. I'd go against my personal no third contract to keep Vonn though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2022, 10:18 PM)jason Wrote: I mean I like Mixon, but not at that price, and there ain't a lot of tread left on those tires... I personally don't see the point of even entertaining the idea of re-signing Bates with DAX and CTB waiting in the wings. I'd go against my personal no third contract to keep Vonn though.

I guess the writing is on the wall with Bates and Dax being the replacement. But I'd say the point in resigning him would be the known commodity. Bates is part of a secondary that works very well. Dax is unknown and may or may not handle that role well. What is the dead money hit of moving on from Mixon? That's probably the real question/answer on whether we would move on from him.
Reply/Quote
I'd still re-sign Bates to a friendly deal if he's willing. Like the way he's playing not to get hurt or not, he's a big part of our backfield, and when he's in "Playoff Jessie" mode he's one of the best safeties in the game. And you can never have too many DB's. That said, if he still wants stupid money then don't let the door hit ya on the way out.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 09:31 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'd still re-sign Bates to a friendly deal if he's willing. Like the way he's playing not to get hurt or not, he's a big part of our backfield, and when he's in "Playoff Jessie" mode he's one of the best safeties in the game. And you can never have too many DB's. That said, if he still wants stupid money then don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

What are you doing with Dax Hill if you re-sign Bates? Using a 1st round pick on a guy that doesn’t start past his rookie season makes no sense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 09:36 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What are you doing with Dax Hill if you re-sign Bates? Using a 1st round pick on a guy that doesn’t start past his rookie season makes no sense.

If Dax wins the starting spot, I'm starting him and Bates becomes the 3rd safety. I'm all about starting the best players regardless of what they make. That's why I said I wouldn't give Bates stupid money.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2022, 08:00 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: When doing comparisons from this year to last, olease remember our WRs have been banged up worse this year and Burrow absolutely sucked early on with now pre-season and the appendectomy.

We have not had mant games with Chase healthy, Higgins not gimpy, Burrow not rusty, and the o-line sorted, yet.

When that happens, it will be easier to run.  Less obvious must pass downs. More fear of deep balls. More 2 deep safery looks. More space for Hurst, Boyd, & Higgins underneath. It will all be easier.

Great points. We are getting healthy at the right time, might see some crazy Offensive production soon...

(11-30-2022, 09:14 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Man I'm a Mixon fan and I highly doubt they cut him. But if they made a move like that and decided to draft a RB in the 2nd round to replace him. Then I hope they find a way to pay Bates and Vonn Bell. I know all the talk about Bates not deserving top money but I think they could find a middle ground with increased guaranteed money. I was just thinking the other day that we are very lucky to have the defense that we have and changing things up in the back end of the secondary could have major impacts for this defense.

Time to move on from Mixon, we have Perine, Trayveon and Evans and can draft a stud RB.

Eh, no thanks on bringing Bates back. He is playing not to get injured at times and is hurting the Defense in doing so.

We brought in Dax Hill, CTB and Tycen Anderson and we should bring back Vonn at SS. CTB looks like he could play FS 
too, same as Dax, same as Tycen who has that size to maybe be a TE destroyer in the future. Lou will make do without
Jessie Bates.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 04:46 AM)Trademark Wrote: Some fans wanted this guy gone with how the OL started playing at the beginning of the season, but the OL is really starting to gel now and I couldn't be happier to see it, shout out to Pollack for helping to turn the OL around.

Still not happy overal we are 26th in rushing and 5th in sacks allowed l,this should be better overall, way before last few games,   but at least we might avoided leading league in sacks, will revisit attend of year especially , glad we have stayed healthy though, 
Reply/Quote
Remember the OL was out of sync for the first 2-4 games because they had literally never played even a down together prior to opening day. You can see in the games where they started to gain the needed familiarity with each other. Also, all five of our starters are basically maulers and for a while we were wedded to wide zone. Then the coaches finally switched to gap and the run game productivity shot up immediately.

This line is FAR better than last season's unit. It needed time playing together to gel and to be using a blocking scheme that fit the strengths of the linemen.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 09:31 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'd still re-sign Bates to a friendly deal if he's willing. Like the way he's playing not to get hurt or not, he's a big part of our backfield, and when he's in "Playoff Jessie" mode he's one of the best safeties in the game. And you can never have too many DB's. That said, if he still wants stupid money then don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

This is the way I feel. If a lot of his gripe was the amount of guaranteed money then hopefully the Bengals pay up. But if he's wanting top money than we have no choice but to move on.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 02:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Time to move on from Mixon, we have Perine, Trayveon and Evans and can draft a stud RB.

Eh, no thanks on bringing Bates back. He is playing not to get injured at times and is hurting the Defense in doing so.

We brought in Dax Hill, CTB and Tycen Anderson and we should bring back Vonn at SS. CTB looks like he could play FS 
too, same as Dax, same as Tycen who has that size to maybe be a TE destroyer in the future. Lou will make do without
Jessie Bates.

I tried to look up the dead money hit for Mixon but I didn't find it. So maybe someone can tell us what it is for Mixon being cut next year. But the team has an option for 2024 so I don't see them moving on from him any sooner than that. As far as Bates we'll just have to wait and see what happens. My concern is another Whitworth situation where we draft the heir apparent only to find out there not capable of performing the job at a starters level. So we end up with a defense that struggles in the back end making life easy on opposing QBs and wasting years of Burrow and Chase because we can't out score teams every week. But that's a worry for another day.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 07:16 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I tried to look up the dead money hit for Mixon but I didn't find it. So maybe someone can tell us what it is for Mixon being cut next year. But the team has an option for 2024 so I don't see them moving on from him any sooner than that. As far as Bates we'll just have to wait and see what happens. My concern is another Whitworth situation where we draft the heir apparent only to find out there not capable of performing the job at a starters level. So we end up with a defense that struggles in the back end making life easy on opposing QBs and wasting years of Burrow and Chase because we can't out score teams every week. But that's a worry for another day.

Well I meant when Mixon's contract is up we let him leave, I didn't mean cut the guy.

Also, there is no way I could see Dax Hill being an Ogbuehi type pick in the future. I think he could be better than Bates on 
down the road, he already is a better tackler. If anything, we might improve when Jessie leaves and it wouldn't surprise me.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 07:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well I meant when Mixon's contract is up we let him leave, I didn't mean cut the guy.

Also, there is no way I could see Dax Hill being an Ogbuehi type pick in the future. I think he could be better than Bates on 
down the road, he already is a better tackler. If anything, we might improve when Jessie leaves and it wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah. Definitely don't cut him. He's a hell of a back when he gets decent blocking. He has Joe's confidence.

I think they could be better in the regular season than the last two seasons but we just need playoff Jesse all year.

It will be interesting to see if he can turn it on again in the playoffs.

(I edited it.)
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 07:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well I meant when Mixon's contract is up we let him leave, I didn't mean cut the guy.

Sorry other people seemed to be saying we should move on after this year and I thought that's what you were saying. I like Mixon but I do get it from a monetary standpoint. I certainly wouldn't be looking to do a 3rd contract. Unless he's will to restructure his contract for extended years. But I think RB has a reasonably high success rate in the 2nd rd.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 07:16 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I tried to look up the dead money hit for Mixon but I didn't find it. So maybe someone can tell us what it is for Mixon being cut next year. But the team has an option for 2024 so I don't see them moving on from him any sooner than that. As far as Bates we'll just have to wait and see what happens. My concern is another Whitworth situation where we draft the heir apparent only to find out there not capable of performing the job at a starters level. So we end up with a defense that struggles in the back end making life easy on opposing QBs and wasting years of Burrow and Chase because we can't out score teams every week. But that's a worry for another day.

5.5M next year. 2.7M the following year, his last on the current contract.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

The Bengals would net around $1.8 million if they cut Mixon in the offseason. They could save a lot more if they designate him as a post June 1st cut, but the Bengals rarely do something like that.

If they move on from Mixon, it tells me they think he hit RB wall or he's very close to hitting it. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 08:30 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yeah. Definitely don't cut him. He's a hell of a back when he gets decent blocking. He has Joe's confidence.

I think they could be better in the regular season than the last two seasons but we just need playoff Jesse all year.

It will be interesting to see if he can turn it on again in the playoffs.

(I edited it.)

Never meant to cut Mixon of course. He is just a spendy commodity right now and as we see, Perine does a damn 
good job just the same and actually makes us less predictable on Offense because Perine can pass block.

Yes sir Brad, hopefully Bates turns it up a bunch like right now would be nice, we are in Playoff mode.

Damn Patriots couldn't beat the Bills last night damn it. Thought Billy B could do it, I guess not. We will have to
once we face them Bills, going to be an exciting time from here on out. Yes

(12-01-2022, 10:31 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Sorry other people seemed to be saying we should move on after this year and I thought that's what you were saying. I like Mixon but I do get it from a monetary standpoint. I certainly wouldn't be looking to do a 3rd contract. Unless he's will to restructure his contract for extended years. But I think RB has a reasonably high success rate in the 2nd rd.

That's cool Nug. Completely agree with you here, wouldn't mind bringing Mixon back for a reasonable contract but
RB's like you say can be found in the Draft for cheap and they don't have the wear on their tires like Mixon has.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote

There’s a lot of praise for our OL coming from some really well respected folks around the game right now.

Reply/Quote