Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Time to make decisions
I’m not speculating on who should be cut but of course they have to fix this offensive line. I would hate to lose CJ and Boyd. I’d like to see them fix the line and upgrade at corner but we will see. They’ve been nailing free agency in the past couple seasons.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:58 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s almost Burrow derangement syndrome at this point…

Look, was Joe spectacular this postseason? Nope. Was it super impressive he was even as good as he was behind this OL? Without a doubt.

Final numbers:

97/142
68.3 completion %
1105 yards (276.25 average)
5 TD to 2 INT
97.3 passer rating

I think you’d be hard pressed to find any QB that could do much better being sacked 19 times. And it’s not even just the sacks it’s the fact that the constant pressure severely limits the playbook in games like against the Rams and Titans.

All I know is I watched Burrow play way better than Mahomes did in the Super Bowl last year when his OL struggled. We’re a couple upgrades away from having a top 3 offense.

Let's also frame that the the sack total was record setting. The Titans got him 9 times, a playoff record & the Rams got him 7 times, a Super Bowl record. Burrow played well considering an argument can be made he played behind the worst playoff-Super Bowl OL of all time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The 2TE set was effective last night. Needed to use it more. I love Boyd, I really do, but it may be time.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:06 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Boyd has been a top WR 3 of 4 yrs. Burrow and coaches need find a better fit for him 

Boyd drops one (yes ONE) pass all year and talk of cutting him.  Good grief.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 10:23 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Boyd drops one (yes ONE) pass all year and talk of cutting him.  Good grief.

It is not about the drop.  

How do you defend paying the slot WR $10M per year when we need to upgrade at least 3 spots on the oline?

We can all love Boyd but his 4 receptions a game are not worth cutting Joe's career short that just seems to be losing organization mentality. Patriot fans loved 4 time Lawyer Malloy - he was one of many cut to keep it going.  Boyd hasn't won anything.

We need to suck it up and make tough decisions, you have been around long enough t osee us keep players too long and pay them more than they produced.

Boyd is very talented but this offense isnt the Rams and doesnt prioritize the slot. And we lead the league in sacks. 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:41 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Please tell me the about the awesome impact of a 4 receptions per game weapon?

Signing a solid lineman so Joe has time pass to priority receivers and not keep breaking sacks records is the better option in my humble opinion.

I would not hesitate to cut Boyd in order to sign an even better RT or RG we currently have planned and start Trent Taylor at the slot on opening day in a few months.  I'll take Joe with a better line and less talented slot any day.

Keeping the defense honest. If the team wasn't good enough with Higgins, Boyd last season, removing Boyd isn't going to move things forward.

The guy is as reliable as they come with catching and that is valuable. If they replace Boyd with Irwin or Mike Thomas, you think the other team is worried about who covers him?? They have to account for Boyd and can't just toss some scrub out there to cover him. It spreads the defense right...that was the entire off-season mantra of why we had to draft Chase. So if that mantra was true, you can't back pedal from it now.

(02-14-2022, 05:34 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I like CJ too but he needs to come at a reasonable price as well.  TE and slot are the positions we need to consider paying less on offense in order to afford the line and the star players.

CJ shouldn't break the bank, but he is a vital piece that does so many little things, right. Blocking, team chemistry, and making clutch catches at times. He is the spark plug.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
CJ is an average blocker so let's not get carried away but he is an important leader on this team so he needs to be brought back. I want Gronk here on a one year deal though...REAL BAD!
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:10 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Keeping the defense honest. If the team wasn't good enough with Higgins, Boyd last season, removing Boyd isn't going to move things forward.

The guy is as reliable as they come with catching and that is valuable. If they replace Boyd with Irwin or Mike Thomas, you think the other team is worried about who covers him?? They have to account for Boyd and can't just toss some scrub out there to cover him. It spreads the defense right...that was the entire off-season mantra of why we had to draft Chase. So if that mantra was true, you can't back pedal from it now.

CJ shouldn't break the bank, but he is a vital piece that does so many little things, right. Blocking, team chemistry, and making clutch catches at times. He is the spark plug.

All good points.
I think I can rebut this by saying if Joe has time DBs cannot cover Chase and Higgins very long.  I would happily take Trent Taylor at slot if it meant an elite upgrade on the oline.  Boyds 4 receptions are not that big on an impact - he is talented and was a priority - we simply drafted better at different positions to warrant $10M on a slot with less than 5 catches per game at a position with more available players, other RB maybe? Tons of fast guys - poor man's Randall Cobb out there.

Slot and TE are the lowest salary priorities in this offense in my opinion - And RB is close.  Joe with an excellent line can make any slot, TE and RB look good with star WRs running downfield.
Reply/Quote
I expect CJ to be back simply because of his leadership in the locker room.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:29 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: CJ needs to be brought back. His personality and what he means to the locker room can not be understated. He does a lot of little things right and his backup is not good.

As to cutting Boyd.... really? The talk last offseason was pass on the elite line guy because the team needed more weapons and now it is time to cut a weapon?? Who replaces him if he gets cut? Not to mention what are the odds the team stays this healthy again?

Waynes you could move on from without missing a beat but you would need to sign or draft a new CB.

Yes. I'd like to see solid oline additions in FA, and possibly draft a CB early.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:42 AM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Was really hoping the Bengals could get the rings tonight, especially for the likes of Huber and Harris. Huber has had a bad postseason, and he was once again subpar tonight. It may be time to draft his replacement. That's certainly not priority number one, but it should probably be on the to-do list.
Punter Dru Chrisman has already been signed to a futures contract for next season.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes. I'd like to see solid oline additions in FA, and possibly draft a CB early.

Absolutely.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:19 PM)Webbtown Wrote: I expect CJ to be back simply because of his leadership in the locker room.

I agree, just no more overpaying for the TE unless we get our own Kelce type, no more overpaying for the slot unless we get our own Hill/Kupp. 
We are most likely overpaying Mixon if we are honest (lots of RBs out there who could do well with a great line and 2 WR's keeping defenders out of the box.
We need to pay our WRs and oline.
Reply/Quote
The thing with Tyler is, he can actually put up big numbers and win you games if they take away Tee and Ja'Marr. It's not like he sucks or anything, and still had close to 900 yards this year. It's good to have a guy like that if one of those other two go down with injury. We have a ton of cap space, and will gain some moving on from Waynes, and probably Reiff. I don't see any benefit in cutting Tyler.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
You don't trade Boyd. WR's get dinged up a lot. If you go down to Chase and Higgins and one gets injured, them the other gets doubled.

Now, when Burrow is off of his rookie contract, you probably can't keep all 3, but right now 2 are on rookie deals.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You don't trade Boyd. WR's get dinged up a lot. If you go down to Chase and Higgins and one gets injured, them the other gets doubled.

Now, when Burrow is off of his rookie contract, you probably can't keep all 3, but right now 2 are on rookie deals.

I understand that thinking... but paying $10M to a position with only 4 receptions per game just in case a WR gets hurt while our QB is getting killed dosnt work for me.

If I told you that if we cut/traded Boyd AND Mixon for 5 just under elite level oline starters would you do it?  I would.
Reply/Quote
It's VERY telling that the Bengals have no interest in Waynes at this point.
When Awuzie got hurt for some snaps, they brought in Flowers instead of Waynes.
Waynes got 0 defensive snaps and just 3 ST snaps.
What a waste of a FA signing.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:47 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I understand that thinking... but paying $10M to a position with only 4 receptions per game just in case a WR gets hurt while our QB is getting killed dosnt work for me.

If I told you that if we cut/traded Boyd AND Mixon for 5 just under elite level oline starters would you do it?  I would.

I really like Boyd, but he'd free up $7.3 mill in cap if traded/released this offseason.
That extra $$ could (help) go toward getting a true upgrade on the OL (who would ideally play 100% of the offensive snaps).
A slot receiver could then be drafted or signed for relatively cheap.

Mixon will still likely stick around in 2022 because of his large dead cap, but the team could look to move on from him in 2023 or definitely in 2024.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: The thing with Tyler is, he can actually put up big numbers and win you games if they take away Tee and Ja'Marr. It's not like he sucks or anything, and still had close to 900 yards this year. It's good to have a guy like that if one of those other two go down with injury. We have a ton of cap space, and will gain some moving on from Waynes, and probably Reiff. I don't see any benefit in cutting Tyler.

This can not be stressed enough.

Higgins missed a few games this season.

The "immortal one" Chase is going to get dinged up.

WR's and RBs take a lot of contact, it adds up and guys get hurt. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:56 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This can not be stressed enough.

Higgins missed a few games this season.

The "immortal one" Chase is going to get dinged up.

WR's and RBs take a lot of contact, it adds up and guys get hurt. 

How long this chip on your shoulder gonna last? Just ballpark estimate?

Reply/Quote