Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Time to make decisions
Upgrade the OL. When I say upgrade I don’t mean bringing back Reiff(wasn’t that impressed with him) and taking an OL in the draft a round or 2 above where they should be and then calling it quits.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I really like Boyd, but he'd free up $7.3 mill in cap if traded/released this offseason.
That extra $$ could (help) go toward getting a true upgrade on the OL (who would ideally play 100% of the offensive snaps).
A slot receiver could then be drafted or signed for relatively cheap.

Mixon will still likely stick around in 2022 because of his large dead cap, but the team could look to move on from him in 2023 or definitely in 2024.

Good points.
Reply/Quote
Anyway, I’m not interested in cutting Boyd because there’s no guarantee they will use that money on the OL. It could end up going towards Bates for all we know.

Now if they can swing a trade for a decent OG…
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:56 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This can not be stressed enough.

Higgins missed a few games this season.

The "immortal one" Chase is going to get dinged up.

WR's and RBs take a lot of contact, it adds up and guys get hurt. 

Chiefs and Rams dont pay RBs or WR2 because they are not top producers.  And no one pays any player $10M in case a WR gets dinged up.  That is serious longtime Bengal thinking if there ever was... all the while our franchise QB is back getting more MRIs
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:00 PM)tBengal Wrote: Upgrade the OL. When I say upgrade I don’t mean bringing back Reiff(wasn’t that impressed with him) and taking an OL in the draft a round or 2 above where they should be and then calling it quits.

Drafting offensive lineman does seem low percentage.

Wasn't a fan of the Carman drafting. Seemed like a reach taking a college Tackle and making him a Guard. But, maybe it works out?
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Anyway, I’m not interested in cutting Boyd because there’s no guarantee they will use that money on the OL. It could end up going towards Bates for all we know.

I really wish this wasnt true. 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Drafting offensive lineman does seem low percentage.

Wasn't a fan of the Carman drafting. Seemed like a reach taking a college Tackle and making him a Guard. But, maybe it works out?

Fixed it for you...

A college Tackle needing back surgery with much better lineman available and making him a Guard.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:08 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Fixed it for you...

A college Tackle needing back surgery with much better lineman available and making him a Guard.

I remember pleading at the TV for us to draft Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith on day 3. Just didn’t happen.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:22 PM)tBengal Wrote: I remember pleading at the TV for us to draft Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith on day 3. Just didn’t happen.

Me too, especially on Trey Smith, I get his health concerns, but he was a 1st round talent taken in the 6th Round.  I was unaware of how great Creed could be, Sam Cosmi was rated way higher than Cosmi too.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Anyway, I’m not interested in cutting Boyd because there’s no guarantee they will use that money on the OL. It could end up going towards Bates for all we know.

They've definitely been willing to make some trades.
Billy Price-BJ Hill trade.
Cordy Glenn trade.

Maybe they could find a way to trade for Becton, as there are rumors the Jets may ready to put Fant in his place. I think he and Williams could form a nice tandem, and he'd be reunited to his OL coach from when he was a rookie. Becton also has a few years left on his rookie contract.

Trade for Becton and sign James Daniels in FA and I'd call that starting OL upgraded for sure.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:58 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s almost Burrow derangement syndrome at this point…

Look, was Joe spectacular this postseason? Nope. Was it super impressive he was even as good as he was behind this OL? Without a doubt.

Final numbers:

97/142
68.3 completion %
1105 yards (276.25 average)
5 TD to 2 INT
97.3 passer rating

I think you’d be hard pressed to find any QB that could do much better being sacked 19 times. And it’s not even just the sacks it’s the fact that the constant pressure severely limits the playbook in games like against the Rams and Titans.

All I know is I watched Burrow play way better than Mahomes did in the Super Bowl last year when his OL struggled. We’re a couple upgrades away from having a top 3 offense.
Bengals have been walking a thin line entire year with that OL, especially during playoffs where it seems defenses have edge.  They won turnover battle which helped elevate team to SB.  They almost won the SB but the OL hurt in the end.  WTS, Burrow had to show better pocket awareness and movement and did not look very sharp early on.  I don't know if it were nerves or what but he did not have his mojo in SB and still played well.  Bottom line:  Rams stars edged out ever so slightly over Bengals stars.  I think right side of OL needs complete remake starting at Center.  I am not convinced that Jonah Williams is the answer at LT either.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:22 PM)tBengal Wrote: I remember pleading at the TV for us to draft Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith on day 3. Just didn’t happen.

Watching Creed and Smith go really hurt at the time of draft.  I think those two would made difference.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:47 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Watching Creed and Smith go really hurt at the time of draft.  I think those two would made difference.  

We win the Super Bowl with those 2.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:49 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We win the Super Bowl with those 2.

With everything as it was, it would seem so.  But I am now questioning blocking schemes with Frank Pollack a bit.  We shall see.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:54 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: With everything as it was, it would seem so.  But I am not questioning blocking schemes with Frank Pollack a bit.  We shall see.  

I dont think Pollack has any scheme in which a RG "olays" like a matador.... 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:10 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I dont think Pollack has any scheme in which a RG "olays" like a matador.... 

Sorry it was a typo.  I am now questioning Frank's schemes a bit.  IDK.  I also wonder why Carman wasn't playing.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:58 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s almost Burrow derangement syndrome at this point…

Look, was Joe spectacular this postseason? Nope. Was it super impressive he was even as good as he was behind this OL? Without a doubt.

Final numbers:

97/142
68.3 completion %
1105 yards (276.25 average)
5 TD to 2 INT
97.3 passer rating

I think you’d be hard pressed to find any QB that could do much better being sacked 19 times. And it’s not even just the sacks it’s the fact that the constant pressure severely limits the playbook in games like against the Rams and Titans.

All I know is I watched Burrow play way better than Mahomes did in the Super Bowl last year when his OL struggled. We’re a couple upgrades away from having a top 3 offense.

Nicely said.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They've definitely been willing to make some trades.
Billy Price-BJ Hill trade.
Cordy Glenn trade.

Maybe they could find a way to trade for Becton, as there are rumors the Jets may ready to put Fant in his place. I think he and Williams could form a nice tandem, and he'd be reunited to his OL coach from when he was a rookie. Becton also has a few years left on his rookie contract.

Trade for Becton and sign James Daniels in FA and I'd call that starting OL upgraded for sure.

I like that idea. And the Jets definitely need help at WR.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:14 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Sorry it was a typo.  I am now questioning Frank's schemes a bit.  IDK.  I also wonder why Carman wasn't playing.  

There shouldn't be much to question. Pass pro sets are largely the same throughout the league. In the run game, Pollack is just an OZ guy. You'll hear some people call it wide zone but they are blocked the same. The Bengals don't have much talent on the offensive line. A coach can't make a guy good if the guy isn't good, you know? The line just needs an influx of talent.

Burrow is also to blame for some of the sacks taken, it isn't all on the line of course but the line certainly isn't good. 
Reply/Quote
Boyd will be much better if we improve the OL. He is a route runner. If he gets more time to operate he will be open a lot more.

Cigar
Reply/Quote