Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to trade up in draft ?
(01-01-2019, 11:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks thought KC were silly for trading up in that poor QB draft class. 

Yep

It's always silly, until it isn't.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 11:34 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I don't believe in trading up if I were the Bengals I would look to trade down to get multiple picks. Or trade a veteran Like Green, Dalton, or Bernard ( or all three) for as many picks as I can get (As long as it is good value).

I would be ok with trading Bernard but not Green unless you could be sure you was going to get a stud receiver in the draft to replace him. Green when healthy is still a top 10 receiver and would be hard to replace. I think we already have someone that can take Gio's spot in Flowers if given some reps.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 11:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks thought KC were silly for trading up in that poor QB draft class. 

The Chiefs had few holes and didn't have to give up much.  They basically gave a 3rd and what's going to turn out to be a late 1st to move up.  They get the 3rd back this year from the Alex Smith trade, plus landed Kendall Fuller.
Reply/Quote
no I would be looking to try to trade back a few spots to be able to pick up an extra 3rd rounder. I really think this year we need to sign some of our own FA's but look to add 2-3 difference makers via Free Agency:

re-sign:

1) CJ Uzomeh
2) Tyler Kroft
3) Trey Hopkins-strictly at C/g backup
4) Andre Smith

cut:
1) Kevin Huber
2) Vonteze Burfict
3) Shawn Williams

FA Pickups:

1) Anthony Barr-OLB (Minnesota)

2) Denzel Perryman-ILB (Chargers)

3) Chris Hogan-WR (Patriots)

Draft:
1) Dalton Risner-OT Kansas St.
2-7) I go BPA regardless of position we need help everywhere
Reply/Quote

Sure, that’s why I followed it up with “at least it looks to be.” In reality, no one has any idea what QBs are going to be good and not be good. People thought Mariota and Winston would be studs and they have floundered.

I still think, in this situation, there are better prospects to be had elsewhere along with better QB prospects the following year.
Reply/Quote

And when Tampa Bay traded up for Josh Freeman.

And when Denver traded up to get Tebow.

And when the Jags traded up for Gabbert.

And when the Redskins gave up a fortune to get RG3.

And when the Bills traded up to get E. J. Manuel

And when the Browns traded up to get Manziel.

And when the Broncos traded up t get Paxton Lynch.

Actually we should forget about the first round and get our next QB in the sixth round.  That ios what the Patriots did with Tom Brady.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 11:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I personally don't think Carr will be the starter in OAK (or where ever they play) next year. He is going to look for someone flashy to take to Vegas. 

Exactly! I don't think Carr will be the guy, actually I wouldn't be suprised if we draft OL/LB in round one and end up with Carr somehow.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 11:04 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I know, but the more I think about it the more I'm on the fence.

Brand new HC's and staff's, large turnovers, usually prefer to start fresh.

I think there are 2 options here with qb going forward, neither involve Dalton as a lame duck vet as a qb you trade for is groomed.

1. The less likely, but I'll play along with your scenario that they deal up a few say to get their prized QB. You have to trade Dalton rather than surround him with the same line and D with fewer picks to restock it (saying they do average at best in FA). If you get the Rams coaches, Mannion as a FA bridge QB is ideal.  

2.  Dalton is your QB and it's unlikely QB becomes BPA at any top 3 selection to warrant passing on a better defensive, OL or TE prospect.  Take the best guys and go to war.  If the franchise QB isn't on the roster, then trade up next year if need be in a deeper QB class.  
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 01:03 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Exactly! I don't think Carr will be the guy, actually I wouldn't be suprised if we draft OL/LB in round one and end up with Carr somehow.

I could see Matt Stafford in OAK. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

And how did it work out for jacksonville to take bortes or how is tampa bay feeling right now with winston #1 pick in draft. QB are so tough to get right in draft, we have a solid QB, production has not been bad from dalton, now we seem to finally find a solid starting RB, lets continue to either fix line and LB in 1st round and 2nd Round
Reply/Quote
I think it all comes down to having confidence in your scouting department. If they believe there is a franchise changing qb in the draft you have to listen. I’m still not sure who has had the final say in the last couple of drafts , is it Duke Tobin ? Marvin Lewis ? Mike Brown ? Or a combination of multiple votes. For example the year we drafted Ross at 9 if Tobin said that he liked Mahomes at 9 and thought the kid had a lot of potential I could see Mike Brown not wanting to draft him because he’s already paying Dalton, he thinks Dalton is serviceable and is afraid of change. Or maybe the coaching staff or Marvin didn’t want to take on developing a rookie QB.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 02:19 AM)phil413 Wrote: I think there are 2 options here with qb going forward, neither involve Dalton as a lame duck vet as a qb you trade for is groomed.

1. The less likely, but I'll play along with your scenario that they deal up a few say to get their prized QB. You have to trade Dalton rather than surround him with the same line and D with fewer picks to restock it (saying they do average at best in FA). If you get the Rams coaches, Mannion as a FA bridge QB is ideal.  

2.  Dalton is your QB and it's unlikely QB becomes BPA at any top 3 selection to warrant passing on a better defensive, OL or TE prospect.  Take the best guys and go to war.  If the franchise QB isn't on the roster, then trade up next year if need be in a deeper QB class.  

Thing is this team is a good ways away from being a true contender. Can they and will Mike Brown do enough, quickly enough, for it to matter for the quickly getting into the final 1/3 of their careers core ?

Perhaps (with a new outside the Bengals tree HC) it would be best to go ahead and start the rebuild ? 

Package our 1st, 6th, and Dunlap, Raiders need pass rushers bad ! For their 1st ? Let Dalton help the rookie along ?

I dunno ? Perhaps it's best to build O and D lines and LBers and wait on next season for QB ?
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 11:45 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm more for OL and LBs in this draft. We'll see who declares for the draft, but I'm a firm believer in controlling the line of scrimmage is essential to winning in the NFL.

Abso-freakin'-lutely.

Round 1: LB
Round 2: OL
Rounds 3-7: Lather, rinse, repeat.
Reply/Quote
Pass on trading up. Too many holes and not a "once in a generation" prospect.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 12:37 PM)PV Bengal Wrote: Abso-freakin'-lutely.

Round 1: LB
Round 2: OL
Rounds 3-7: Lather, rinse, repeat.

Completely agree, the first 5 rounds should be LB and OL. I know people think this team is far off, but I disagree.
Reply/Quote
I'd say you have to address the following positions in the draft:

1. LB
2. OL
3. CB (0 interceptions this last season cannot be ignored)
4. TE (our 1st string, 2nd string, and 3rd string TEs are all entering FA)
5. WR (We have two very talented guys, but as soon as they both go down with injury it's a skeleton crew)

And then you probably want to double-down and pick up another offensive lineman in free agency.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, the team can’t afford to trade up. OL, LB in no particular order has to be addressed early and often. The only way a QB was being taken was of Bengals lost out, and even then it may not have happened. Beating Oakland all but dashed any hopes of an early enough pick to grab a Haskins or Lock.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 10:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I was just looking at the draft order and pondering things.

Cards 1st they're probably not going QB. 49ers have Jimmy G so they won't either, Jets just took Darnold.

Then there's the Raiders. Gruden has been rolling the dice a lot and he loves him some Carr.

After that there's several teams that QB could/should be on the menu.

Bucs say Winston is coming back but I wouldn't bet on it. Giants will almost surely go QB with Manning winding down. The Jags have ummm Bortles. Stafford isn't getting younger for the Lions, and Keenum isn't all that inspiring for Denver.

I'm no draft guru but I doubt there will be any QB's left by 11, worth drafting that high.

If we do get a new younger offensive minded HC and new staff would it be time to roll the dice and try and trade up with Gruden ?

Mike Brown hasn't traded up that high in the draft since what early 90's ?

Is it time ?

There isn't a QB in this draft class I'd be happy trading up for.
Next year though, I think there will be.
And if the Bengals flounder like they have the past few years, they may not need to trade up (much).

I would consider trading up for Jonah Williams though. Williams has the makings of a stud franchise OT for 10+ years.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Depending on our needs after FA, it may be a good idea to trade back into the 1st round for a guy like Noah Fant, TE, Iowa or David Edwards, T, Wisconsin. I just don't think moving up in the Top 10 is a good move, mainly because of the expense.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 01:24 PM)Whatever Wrote:  I just don't think moving up in the Top 10 is a good move, mainly because of the expense.

As a general rule I am never in favor of trading up if it involves giving up other picks.  The entire draft is a bigger gamble than most "experts" want to admit, and usually the best way to increase your chances of getting a good player is increase your number of draft picks.

But trading up into the top 10 of the first round is ridiculous.  Top ten picks are way overvalued.  Lots of them flop.
Reply/Quote