Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to trade up in draft ?
I guess it depends on your definition of a contender.

This team is not that far away.

I don't think the defense is THAT bad. Theres a ton of talent and I think the snowball just rolled the wrong way with Austin as DC. I think a decent/good DC will be able to make this at least an average unit (15-18) range.

The offense is actually in pretty good shape. Get me an OC that can use Gio and Mixon along with Ross, AJ, Boyd and a TE. The skill guys are very, very good here.

The fix:

1. At least 1 OT needs to be drafted and at least one OG needs to be drafted. They both need to be hits, not the whiffs that Ced and Fisher were.
2. I don't think the defense lacks for talent. Obviously another LB that can Cover is needed. But in reality, this team isn't that far off.

IF only they would sign an impact free agent to speed up the process......
Reply/Quote
I would rather the Bengals trade down for a couple of picks and load up on OL and LB prospects.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 04:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The obvious point that was missed is all those teams "had" to trade up because they needed a QB.; so share your list with those who want to wait until we "need" a QB I used KC as an example similar to our current situation. But if we want to play the trade up for a bust game I'm willing to play. You guys just let me know what position is bust-proof.

Used to be trading up for a QB came with the increased burden of his Rookie salary; that's no longer the issue.

Nothing is bust perfect but QB drafting in 1st round tends to be highest risk, we have a QB that can play in the NFL i prefer not to roll the dice on a unproven QB in 1st round
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 12:37 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Thing is this team is a good ways away from being a true contender. Can they and will Mike Brown do enough, quickly enough, for it to matter for the quickly getting into the final 1/3 of their careers core ?

Perhaps (with a new outside the Bengals tree HC) it would be best to go ahead and start the rebuild ? 

Package our 1st, 6th, and Dunlap, Raiders need pass rushers bad ! For their 1st ? Let Dalton help the rookie along ?

I dunno ? Perhaps it's best to build O and D lines and LBers and wait on next season for QB ?

Andy with an improved OL, a rebuilt LB core and ability to draft or sign a BPA is plan A, B, C, and D in different forms.  If the right QB is there and you choose to rebuild, you deal him while he has the most worth.  No reason to go nuclear with another Boomer/Klingler scenario.  That was a different situation though with an offense based around a young 1000 yr back, mix of old and new on the DL and a shiney new HC in his 30's, with Mikey running the show. Totally different.
Reply/Quote
Being here in Scotland I don't follow college football so I don't know what this years QB's in the draft will be like but I really don't think we need a new QB next year although it depends on who the next HC is.
It might be easier getting the HC we really want as we have a good experienced QB, Van Pelt said he came here as we had Dalton and he wanted to work with him, maybe the new HC would feel the same instead of going to a team and having to work with a rookie.

We must get the O-Line fixed this year, I still feel we got it totally wrong in the last draft. Especially when Marvin sat giggling during his post draft interview and mentioned Pollock wasn't very happy as he was wanting more O-Line men drafted but we didn't get any.
I mentioned it last year before the draft, Get the O-Line fixed and everything falls into place.
QB gets protected, Lanes open for the RB's and the Defence get a rest as the Offence aren't 3 and out.

But as I says it depends on who and what our next HC is, if the front office get the next decision wrong we could end up being last in the division and no where near the play-offs for the next 5-8 years
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 04:30 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: Being here in Scotland I don't follow college football so I don't know what this years QB's in the draft will be like but I really don't think we need a new QB next year although it depends on who the next HC is.
It might be easier getting the HC we really want as we have a good experienced QB, Van Pelt said he came here as we had Dalton and he wanted to work with him, maybe the new HC would feel the same instead of going to a team and having to work with a rookie.

We must get the O-Line fixed this year, I still feel we got it totally wrong in the last draft. Especially when Marvin sat giggling during his post draft interview and mentioned Pollock wasn't very happy as he was wanting more O-Line men drafted but we didn't get any.
I mentioned it last year before the draft, Get the O-Line fixed and everything falls into place.
QB gets protected, Lanes open for the RB's and the Defence get a rest as the Offence aren't 3 and out.

But as I says it depends on who and what our next HC is, if the front office get the next decision wrong we could end up being last in the division and no where near the play-offs for the next 5-8 years

Need to fix the defense too. And that means taking multiple LB’s. That one position group really killed us this season.

Reply/Quote
We've got no o line and our d needs about three starters before it's even worth taking the field.

I'd rather trade back and get some hopeful starters. Ad is serviceable for a couple more years. No need to Couch our next qb by giving him the reins to a wagon with no wheels.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 05:15 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I guess it depends on your definition of a contender.

This team is not that far away.  

I don't think the defense is THAT bad.  Theres a ton of talent and I think the snowball just rolled the wrong way with Austin as DC.  I think a decent/good DC will be able to make this at least an average unit (15-18) range.

The offense is actually in pretty good shape.  Get me an OC that can use Gio and Mixon along with Ross, AJ, Boyd and a TE.  The skill guys are very, very good here.

The fix:

1.  At least 1 OT needs to be drafted and at least one OG needs to be drafted.  They both need to be hits, not the whiffs that Ced and Fisher were.
2.  I don't think the defense lacks for talent.  Obviously another LB that can Cover is needed.  But in reality, this team isn't that far off.

IF only they would sign an impact free agent to speed up the process......

Under DC Lewis the defense was the 6th best in the NFL and that was with the injuries.  The talent is there.  The LB holes and depth need improving to help the entire unit

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I like Clayton Thorson from Northwestern, if we can get him in the second round, but projections have him going to the Giants in the first round.
Reply/Quote
Is it time to trade up in the draft?Absolutely.We need an Immediate impact player,(offensive line,and linebacker positions) so yes we need to be more aggressive.This is still a very talented team with some key positions they need to fill.They were just plagued by injuries this year.
Reply/Quote
For that matter,we should have traded up last year and taken Ragnow in the first round of the draft.He could have anchored our offensive line for the next ten years plus,if healthy.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 11:11 PM)CincinnatiKid Wrote: Gotta go after Josh Allen. Can rush from the end and cover tight ends as a linebacker

As a huge ky fan Allen is the real deal. Dude is an absolute stud and fun to watch. He came in as a two star player. The kid they have us drafting out of LSU is no slouch either. He’s a stud also. What makes me sick is they have the Steelers drafting snell in the second round, I pray that’s not true
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 12:00 AM)Andy2AJ Wrote: As a huge ky fan Allen is the real deal. Dude is an absolute stud and fun to watch. He came in as a two star player. The kid they have us drafting out of LSU is no slouch either. He’s a stud also. What makes me sick is they have the Steelers drafting snell in the second round, I pray that’s not true

The LSU linebacker looks like the real deal. I hope we can get him.
Reply/Quote
This team has a QB who can win and put a bunch of points on the board with the right pieces around him They absolutely have to fix the oline and having another reliable WR couldn't hurt. I don't believe Tate is going to be that guy nor will Ross so one solid receiver can't hurt. TEs can stand to be bolstered as well depending on who is or isn't around next year. 
LB is a huge need as well as perhaps better corners.. Trading up for a big maybe with a rookie QB? Nah.. no thanks unless he's just sitting there and everything else is already covered which it won't be.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 02:53 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: I like Clayton Thorson from Northwestern, if we can get him in the second round, but projections have him going to the Giants in the first round.

In the top 10?  I haven't seen anyone mention in him as a first rounder at all.  
Reply/Quote
I mean if White is off the board and Haskins is there then I take him. There’s no way the Giants are passing on Haskins and I think we’re in a good spot to land Devin White. Honestly if we can land White and maybe pick one or two upgrades on the offensive line in the draft and free agency I think we’ll be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
We need to build the best defense ever. We have still plenty of weapons on offense Mixon, Dalton, AJ and Boyd and hopefully a surprise TE down the line.

The Defense needs to stop opposing Offenses to even have a chance. We started 4-1 but it was obvious once the injuries starting piling up, our back ups werent up to par AND our DCoach wasn't improving things either, quite the opposite.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 11:23 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Horrible draft class for QBs, at least that is what it looks like. 

If the Bengals trade up for a QB this year, it will be a laughingstock. Draft offensive line and LBers, take a QB in 2020 after Dalton is done.
Haskins would be a top 2 pick in next year's draft as well. It's a weak class due to depth. But Haskins is a bonafide stud.
(01-01-2019, 11:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What scheme would that be?  Has our new HC and DC determined what alignment they want to run on defense?
We. Can't find one good lber. U expect us to find 4? Plus I just hate 3-4 defenses.
(01-01-2019, 11:46 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: It doesn't seem like there a whole lot of talented o lineman coming out. Maybe we go LB in the first and sign 2 FA o lineman.
There absolutely is. 2 guys I would absolutely LOVE to see is Ford a LT/g combo ala cordy Glenn in Ford out off okalhoma and Lindstrom great guard out of Boston college. Free agent market is trash this year.
(01-02-2019, 12:40 PM)Au165 Wrote: Pass on trading up. Too many holes and not a "once in a generation" prospect.
Haskjns is a once in a decade type qb.
(01-02-2019, 04:01 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Fix the o-line,first,but primarily through free agency.Yes,it could get pretty expensive,for some really good free agents,but that’s where I would put the money.Go after your linebackers in the draft.
Free agency oline is absolutely trash. No even decent olineman.
(01-02-2019, 05:28 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: First, this is supposed to be a great draft for DL and LB. A bad draft for franchise QB's.

But, if the plan is to get a new QB, AD could yield a 1st round and 2nd round pick easily in my opinion. AD is solid and has 2 years left of a very friendly contract. I could see the Jags or the Giants consider AD so the #1 would be a great pick. Why not draft a stud OT and a stud LB in round one if we get a second pick? 

Then, look at a FA stop gap QB like:
1. Flacco
2. Tyrod Taylor

My point is I don't see a franchise QB in the draft in 2019, maybe the OSU kid, but I am not convinced. I would hate to see them reach for a QB after trading up (very expensive).
What are you smoking that Dalton could get at least a first and second round pick? Demarius Thomas only got a 4th. Antonio freaking brown wouldn't even get a 1st and a 2nd.
(01-04-2019, 10:10 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: For that matter,we should have traded up last year and taken Ragnow in the first round of the draft.He could have anchored our offensive line for the next ten years plus,if healthy.
Price will do the same.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 05:14 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Haskins would be a top 2 pick in next year's draft as well. It's a weak class due to depth. But Haskins is a bonafide stud.
We. Can't find one good lber. U expect us to find 4? Plus I just hate 3-4 defenses.
There absolutely is. 2 guys I would absolutely LOVE to see is Ford a LT/g combo ala cordy Glenn in Ford out off okalhoma and Lindstrom great guard out of Boston college. Free agent market is trash this year.
Haskjns is a once in a decade type qb.
Free agency oline is absolutely trash. No even decent olineman.
What are you smoking that Dalton could get at least a first and second round pick? Demarius Thomas only got a 4th. Antonio freaking brown wouldn't even get a 1st and a 2nd.
Price will do the same.

Let me guess, OSU fan?

Reply/Quote
You can fill all the holes you want. Not going to matter if we don't have a good QB.
Reply/Quote