Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to vote for JoeyB for an ESPY
Joe Burrow has been nominated for an ESPY as Comeback Player of the Year.

It is a fan vote so Bengaldom do your thing

https://www.espn.com/espys/story/_/page/voting-best-comeback/espys-2022-vote-best-comeback-athlete

He is competing against

NBA: Klay Thompson, Golden State Warriors- returned to championship form after missing 2 seasons with ACL and Achilles injuries
MLB: Trey Mancini, Baltimore Orioles-missed 2020 due to colon cancer
WNBA: Diamond DeShields, Phoenix Mercury-missed 2019 with a spinal tumor, missed most 2020 assorted leg injuries

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Voted... if based on performance Burrow wins in a landslide.

Not sure how these votes go... can easily see voters being sympathetic for the Cancer and Spinal Tumor
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2022, 07:27 PM)pally Wrote: Joe Burrow has been nominated for an ESPY as Comeback Player of the Year.

https://www.espn.com/espys/story/_/page/voting-best-comeback/espys-2022-vote-best-comeback-athlete

He is competing against

NBA: Klay Thompson, Golden State Warriors- returned to championship form after missing 2 seasons with ACL and Achilles injuries
MLB: Trey Mancini, Baltimore Orioles-missed 2020 due to colon cancer
WNBA: Diamond DeShields, Phoenix Mercury-missed 2019 with a spinal tumor, missed most 2020 assorted leg injuries

If Mancini played on a better more popular team, he’d be the favorite

I still think Mancini should win this
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2022, 10:42 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: If Mancini played on a better more popular team, he’d be the favorite

I still think Mancini should win this

BA - .255,  21 homeruns, 143 Strikeouts

Purely statistically why would be be favored over Burrow?  

Just be real you are voting on the much worse circumstance Cancer vs. ACL 

Colon Cancer has a 91% survival rate if diagnosed at the localized stage
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2022, 10:55 PM)QueenCity Wrote: BA - .255,  21 homeruns, 143 Strikeouts

Check out his 2019 before the cancer. Should’ve been an all star

And he’s hitting .280 with a .356 obp thus far

And yea I’m giving him the cancer boost over the knee
Reply/Quote

ACL has a 100% survival rating and with the advancements in medicine, it is a pretty common injury to return from at a high level if not the same level you were at pre-injury.

Honestly, coming back from a spinal tumor and being able to play at a competitive level at all is the most impressive feat on the list. And that is what the award was about if I'm reading it correctly. Overcoming an injury or in this case a disease that can actually kill you and returning to the field at a high level. It's why Alex Smith was so impressive, guy almost dies and gets back on the field. 

Burrow's come back is awesome from a fan of the team standpoint, but in the grand scheme of things, it is not nearly as impressive as overcoming cancer and getting back to competition.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Voting is obviously subjective - do you vote it based on statistics or severity of the injury or disease.

Can't go wrong either way... nothing to really argue about.
Reply/Quote

Stage 3, which he had, is 71%. He also has a ~17% chance to have it pop up again in the next 3 years. Even after surviving he just wrecked his body with six months of chemotherapy that required him to go to hospitals, alone, and weaken his immune system while the most deadly stages of a pandemic was raging on.

Comeback player awards ARE about circumstances. Always has been, always should be. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
If i was Burrow and i was going up against that comp, i'd be embarrassed to get votes. 

A ligament injury that kept me out half a season against Cancer, Tumors and a guy that missed 2 years because of back to back devastating injuries?

If i was Burrow, i'd be like, "thanks for the thoughts guy but imma peace out. ThumbsUp "

[Image: kevin-wave.gif]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I love Burrow, but it should and probably will come in third here.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, not gonna vote on this. Thinking Mancini should win it.

I don't do espn either. Haven't liked them since the 90's.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2022, 09:46 PM)QueenCity Wrote: .............

Not sure how these votes go... ......
Popularity contest from the largest fanbases
Reply/Quote
What? Nobody on the list rose from the dead to have a great season?  FIXED! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-01-2022, 07:27 PM)pally Wrote: Joe Burrow has been nominated for an ESPY as Comeback Player of the Year.

He is competing against

NBA:    Klay Thompson, Golden State Warriors- returned to championship form after missing 2 seasons with ACL and Achilles injuries
MLB:    Trey Mancini, Baltimore Orioles-missed 2020 due to colon cancer

I ended up voting for Cooper kupp for best  championship performance but I called him a "***** ass mfer" under my breath when I did it.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2022, 03:23 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: I ended up voting for Cooper kupp for best  championship performance but I called him a "***** ass mfer" under my breath when I did it.

Yeah, the dude is good. Sumbitch. Whatever
Reply/Quote
I love Burrow as a Bengal Fan, but as objective person, those are freaking amazing comeback by the other nominated athletes. Gosh.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(07-04-2022, 06:58 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I love Burrow as a Bengal Fan, but as objective person, those are freaking amazing comeback by the other nominated athletes.  Gosh.

Ye they are but I voted for Joe.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2022, 12:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08 Wrote: I don't do espn either. Haven't liked them since the 90's.

The entire network?

I admit there are some clowns are ESPN. But I don't see how you could be down on entire network. There are some clowns on ALL of them.

And WTF changed in the 90's?
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2022, 09:46 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Voted... if based on performance Burrow wins in a landslide.

Not sure how these votes go... can easily see voters being sympathetic for the Cancer and Spinal Tumor

if based on what they are coming back from Burrow has no shot lol...
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2022, 09:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The entire network?

I admit there are some clowns are ESPN. But I don't see how you could be down on entire network. There are some clowns on ALL of them.

And WTF changed in the 90's?

There are a few people on espn that aren't clowns, I just don't like many of their analysts wokeness some of the time.

It is just an opinion, if you don't like it fine, doesn't matter to me. I don't like espn. They went from being a sports network to 
more Entertainment Tonight over the years. Same way MTV used to be about music and is now about reality TV.
Reply/Quote