Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Time we traded in Williams for a better Williams
Wink 
Trent in SF for Jonah and a 1st. We’re midde of the pack in the draft, so we’re not in line for an immediate contributor anyway. We bet on our round 2 fortunes and secure our future o linemen.
Reply/Quote
I think this would be a dubious trade tbh. Trent is a talent but he will also be 34 by the start of the next season. Giving up a first for a guy that late in his career isn’t great value.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:26 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I think this would be a dubious trade tbh. Trent is a talent but he will also be 34 by the start of the next season. Giving up a first for a guy that late in his career isn’t great value.

Bit of a risk but have you seen trents run blocking grades. And he doesn’t get clapped by high tier pass rushers. Anyone with top pass rushers clap is when it matters. This trade fixes that.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:27 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Bit of a risk but have you seen trents run blocking grades. And he doesn’t get clapped by high tier pass rushers. Anyone with top pass rushers clap is when it matters. This trade fixes that.

Trent is definitely a stud, don’t get me wrong. The value just isn’t there. We don’t know if he is a Whitworth and will play at a high level until he is 40 or be a normal dude and drop off in his mid-30s. Giving up a young guy and a first is just too much compensation for my taste here.
Reply/Quote
Have you happened to have looked at Trent Williams' remaining contract?
It was a 6-year, $138 mill with $40 mill guaranteed, signed this past offseason.
The cap hit for the remaining 5 years: $130 mill.
$32 mill of that is dead cap by the 49ers, so the team that traded for him would have $98 mill remaining on the contract.
You're basically talking $20 mill per year.

Absolutely no way that Mike Brown would spend that much on a 34 year old OT.
And he sure as hell wouldn't give up a 1st rounder and Jonah Williams to take on that contract.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:36 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Have you happened to have looked at Trent Williams' remaining contract?
It was a 6-year, $138 mill with $40 mill guaranteed, signed this past offseason.
The cap hit for the remaining 5 years: $130 mill.
$32 mill of that is dead cap by the 49ers, but still $98 mill remaining on the contract.
You're basically talking $20 mill per year.

Absolutely no way that Mike Brown would spend that much on a 34 year old OT.
And he sure as hell wouldn't give up a 1st rounder and Jonah Williams to take on that contract.

I can dream. If I’m owner I’m doing that. Trent Williams is another big whitworth.
Reply/Quote
Draft Tyler lindenbaum or Sauce Gardner and we have an immediate impact starter for either side.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:59 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Draft Tyler lindenbaum or Sauce Gardner and we have an immediate impact starter for either side.

Yes please. I would also like to see them surprise us and trade up for Linderbaum if they don’t go CB.

Reply/Quote
Without a redesign of the offense we are going to see issues no matter who is on the line. The current schemes hang the OL out to dry and put them in difficult spots constantly (empty sets against blitzes, constant third and longs, lack of quick pass plays and also lack of anything to burn aggressive pass rushes). I'm not saying that the current OL is what we need - it isn't - but I think those expecting some magic improvement by adding a player or two will be disappointed.
Reply/Quote
Are we just going to ignore the part where Hendrickson was dominating him before getting hurt? Why would we get rid of one of our best lineman for someone who would be a marginal upgrade and 10 years older?
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:39 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: I can dream. If I’m owner I’m doing that. Trent Williams is another big whitworth.

That's a terrible dream.

I've had dreams where I'm being disembowled by laughing clowns that were more pleasant than this scenario.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:27 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Bit of a risk but have you seen trents run blocking grades. And he doesn’t get clapped by high tier pass rushers. Anyone with top pass rushers clap is when it matters. This trade fixes that.

Hendrickson had a sack and drew a hold on Williams in like a quarter of play. 
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:59 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Draft Tyler lindenbaum or Sauce Gardner and we have an immediate impact starter for either side.

Perfect pick to replace Waynes.

Have to have him a chase compete in 1 on 1 drills for who gets to be #1

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:02 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yes please. I would also like to see them surprise us and trade up for Linderbaum if they don’t go CB.

Depending on how the rest of the games go, they might not need to trade up.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:32 AM)TheFan Wrote: Hendrickson had a sack and drew a hold on Williams in like a quarter of play. 

To be fair with the Trey vs Trent matchup, Hendrickson's sack wasn't on Trent. He stunted inside and came untouched. 
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 11:28 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: To be fair with the Trey vs Trent matchup, Hendrickson's sack wasn't on Trent. He stunted inside and came untouched. 

I can guarantee you our Williams doesn't get that same sort of objectiveness. 
Reply/Quote
They wouldn't accept that trade. And we shouldn't offer that trade. That's the kind of trade you make when you're one piece away from being a super bowl team. We aren't that. We need to upgrade Center, RG, RT, CB and potentially LB before we are in position to win a super bowl.

We are a young team that will get better every year we have Burrow and Chase. There's no reason to sell the farm to fast track this team. If they really want to do something for the team, I'd say trade your first and next year's first to move up in the draft to take an elite LT prospect like Evan Neal and then move Williams to RT.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 11:34 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: They wouldn't accept that trade. And we shouldn't offer that trade. That's the kind of trade you make when you're one piece away from being a super bowl team. We aren't that. We need to upgrade Center, RG, RT, CB and potentially LB before we are in position to win a super bowl.

We are a young team that will get better every year we have Burrow and Chase. There's no reason to sell the farm to fast track this team. If they really want to do something for the team, I'd say trade your first and next year's first to move up in the draft to take an elite LT prospect like Evan Neal and then move Williams to RT.

What’s with the obsession with moving Jonah to RT? The team made it very clear they have no plans to do so during all the Chase vs Sewell stuff. I believe both Taylor and Callahan said as much.

No matter how elite a prospect is there’s going to be some growing pains. I’d rather have Jonah at LT going into his 3rd season of playing than a rookie. Jonah was viewed as an elite OL prospect himself coming out of Alabama (1st OL taken in that draft).

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 11:30 AM)TheFan Wrote: I can guarantee you our Williams doesn't get that same sort of objectiveness. 

Jonah has had some struggles in pass-pro for sure. PFF really likes him but I don't have access to his full grade breakdown to see if his grade is buoyed by run blocking. I have him at a 5.90% pressure percentage, good for 49th in the league out of 71 eligible tackles. I don't have the numbers offhand for last season, but I remember him being better. I'm still wanting to give him time, at least through next season. If he is still struggling in pass-pro then it would be time to look for a replacement. Not panicking, though.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 11:42 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What’s with the obsession with moving Jonah to RT? The team made it very clear they have no plans to do so during all the Chase vs Sewell stuff. I believe both Taylor and Callahan said as much.

No matter how elite a prospect is there’s going to be some growing pains. I’d rather have Jonah at LT going into his 3rd season of playing than a rookie. Jonah was viewed as an elite OL prospect himself coming out of Alabama (1st OL taken in that draft).

He gives up too many 1 on 1 sacks and pressures to be trusted on the blind side, in my opinion. He caused the sack and strip against the Chargers because he couldn't hold up against a non-elite pass rusher in Nwosu. If he allowed that same type of play from RT, Joe at least can see it and can step up. When it's done on the blind side, he doesn't have that opportunity.

I understand that the coaches don't want to move him to RT. I'm just saying I want an elite LT, not a "fine" LT.
Reply/Quote