Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
To Joe Mixon, We're Sorry
(08-20-2017, 09:58 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: What did Hill average last nite.. 4.7.. take that all year.. I thought Mixon looked a bit tentative .. i believe Munoz mentioned that on TV last night.. Hill was more assertive i felt.. 

Hell yeah. If Hill does that all season, that means good things for the team.

Who knows, in a contract year, auditioning for other teams, and having a rookie breathing down his neck might help push Hill to put up an awesome season. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
you guys are pitiful....game #2 in preseason & your already throwing in the towel....boo hoo...

slow your roll
the line will be fine....
relax.....all is not lost....
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 10:12 PM)Steve Wrote: the line will be fine....

Your evidence?
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 10:25 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Your evidence?

We start 4 guys who would be backups on most playoff teams. That says a lot about the state of our line.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 10:02 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Hell yeah. If Hill does that all season, that means good things for the team.

Who knows, in a contract year, auditioning for other teams, and having a rookie breathing down his neck might help push Hill to put up an awesome season. 

it is just funny that last week we raved about Mixon and many trashed Hill for less than 4 a carry, this week we plead sorry to Mixon but don;t mention Hill and his 4.7 YPC
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 09:00 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I kind of think this too. Hell, Two Yard Jeremy continued to put his head down and plow last night. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far out of 32.

Gotta give credit where credit is due. Last week Mixon was bouncing out, this week he had daylight a few times on the outside and chose not to.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 10:12 PM)Steve Wrote: you guys are pitiful....game #2 in preseason & your already throwing in the towel....boo hoo...

slow your roll
the line will be fine....
relax.....all is not lost....

Pretty sure this is what Jaguars fans tell themselves every preseason.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:43 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote:  "Wasn't there supposed to be a hole there?" 

Where is this post going? 
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:43 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Dear Joe,

We're sorry.  You're on your way to be considered an NFL bust but it won't be your fault.  You're lining up behind an offensive line that couldn't open a can of tuna much less open an A- or B-gap.  These guys would try to open a door that says "Pull" by pushing so please know we don't blame you for this.  If you continually run toward where a gap should form and you find yourself colliding with Russell Bodine's posterior instead, we understand. It happened to Jeremy Hill and Gio Bernard so it's not like we haven't seen this before.  Those two guys hit more butts than a proctologist.

Here in Cincinnati you'll find a highly "football educated" fan base so don't listen to the media.  They'll claim it's all you but those of us who truly follow the Bengals understand no great runner makes it big without a great offensive line in front of him.  You had one at Oklahoma so I know you know what an effective offensive line looks like.

Maybe you could help Paul Alexander by occasionally asking, "Wasn't there supposed to be a hole there?" or, "Who was supposed to pick up that linebacker who caught me from behind while I was trying to find an open gap?"  I suspect those questions have never crossed his mind but you could always use piano references like, "Coach, we have 'A Major' problem where there should be three sharps on the staff but I'm getting squashed flat."  

We understand and we're sorry.

I think we should put a decimal points in between the running backs numbers on their jerseys this year. That is about what the average YPC is going to be for every one.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 03:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's the thing I have the most trouble with. We drafted 2 speedy skill players...and then fielded an offensive line that is going to have to make Dalton do a lot of quick passes thus not showcasing them. And the run blocking is bad. It was quite easy to see this coming.

You don't think Ross will showcase on quick slants? I think it'll be one of his most effective routes for us. Think Santonio Holmes December 31, 2006 play but faster and shiftier.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 11:39 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: it is just funny that last week we raved about Mixon and many trashed Hill for less than 4 a carry, this week we plead sorry to Mixon but don;t mention Hill and his 4.7 YPC

Thought Hill was credited by most last week for looking good ? 

Yet more praise did come for Mixon than Hill, but he is our new toy. Of course people are paying attention to his play. 

Predict Hill will look very improved after his replacement has been drafted and his contract is about to expire as well. 

If he would have been that motivated last season we could have drafted a pass rusher or OL instead.

Oh well, it is what it is and the two could have wreaked havoc on the league if our OL can do anything.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 12:19 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: I think we should put a decimal points in between the running backs numbers on their jerseys this year. That is about what the average YPC is going to be for every one.

So does that mean we should start having Hewitt run the ball more often?
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 01:19 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: So does that mean we should start having Hewitt run the ball more often?
Lol, Yep.  A shovel pass to Hewitt on 3rd and 10 for 8.9!!!
Reply/Quote
We're sorry that you might very well be the most talented RB on our roster, but you'll be buried on our depth chart and struggle to find reps.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 01:01 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: You don't think Ross will showcase on quick slants? I think it'll be one of his most effective routes for us. Think Santonio Holmes December 31, 2006 play but faster and shiftier.

That's the thing that worries me most about this kid. He's going to get killed on these slants.
Reply/Quote
Mixon gets an apology & Hill gets the blame. What's up with that?
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 01:08 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Thought Hill was credited by most last week for looking good ? 

No doubt, There were only about 7 cut Hill threads last week as opposed to the usual 10. 

Hell, this week; I'm not sure if I've seen any. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:55 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: He's good at making people miss in the open field/down field.

Can he get used to making people miss in the backfield ?

Taking the opposite point of view, I think Joe was either told to stay inside or he flat didn't see the outsides, which he has more than enough speed to reach and his WRs were either taking off downfield or blocking.  I'm guessing the former.

Joe was noted for his outstanding vision coming out of Oklahoma, but he either didn't display it the other night, or he was told to try and stay inside and just get positive yardage.

Zampese doesn't earn the "benefit of the doubt" just yet, and I have no idea why our RBs don't chip the DE and slide out as an outlet.  Piggy and Brady have made a living on this simple, yet highly effective plan.  They hold the ball as long as they can looking downfield, and then check it down to a back that goes 10 yards every time.  

Zampese has to either practice this in these games, or learn it because it isn't rocket science.  And I saw this as one of Brat's biggest faults as well.  It was either down the field or nothing.  Stupid.  
Reply/Quote
If Mixon can be as good as Corey Dillon, then he will not be a bust because of the oline. Dillon had some pi** poor lines to run behind, and was the focal point of the offense. Yet he was able to be a stud with the odds stacked against him.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:43 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Dear Joe,

We're sorry.  You're on your way to be considered an NFL bust but it won't be your fault.  You're lining up behind an offensive line that couldn't open a can of tuna much less open an A- or B-gap.  These guys would try to open a door that says "Pull" by pushing so please know we don't blame you for this.  If you continually run toward where a gap should form and you find yourself colliding with Russell Bodine's posterior instead, we understand. It happened to Jeremy Hill and Gio Bernard so it's not like we haven't seen this before.  Those two guys hit more butts than a proctologist.

Here in Cincinnati you'll find a highly "football educated" fan base so don't listen to the media.  They'll claim it's all you but those of us who truly follow the Bengals understand no great runner makes it big without a great offensive line in front of him.  You had one at Oklahoma so I know you know what an effective offensive line looks like.

Maybe you could help Paul Alexander by occasionally asking, "Wasn't there supposed to be a hole there?" or, "Who was supposed to pick up that linebacker who caught me from behind while I was trying to find an open gap?"  I suspect those questions have never crossed his mind but you could always use piano references like, "Coach, we have 'A Major' problem where there should be three sharps on the staff but I'm getting squashed flat."  

We understand and we're sorry.
Good gawd, you want a blanket and a binky? 
Reply/Quote