Poll: Do you support a team tanking?
Yes way!
No way!
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To tank or not to tank
That is the question. I've had and seen discussion around this topic before, but wanted to make it official with a poll. Who thinks we should tank* to get a better draft pick?

*Tanking is not telling the player to "throw a game", rather the FO/staff subbing in AJ for AD, Bell for Tez, etc. You're simply stacking the deck to suck, without telling your players to suck.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If they were going to tank, they should have done it weeks ago.

Or...you know...3 days ago.

Now we may as well play to keep the Ravens out of the playoffs. It'll be worth the 2 to 3 spots we drop if we win.
Reply/Quote
No way do they lose on purpose. A chance to stick it to a division rival that needs to win to get in the playoffs..
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 02:25 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If they were going to tank, they should have done it weeks ago.

Now we may as well play to keep the Ravens out of the playoffs. It'll be worth the 2 to 3 spots we drop if we win.

Yeah, that was what I was referring too. After the Bears loss, they should of started their plan for next season (ala seeing what other guys have)
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 02:26 PM)sandwedge Wrote: No way do they lose on purpose. A chance to stick it to a division rival that needs to win to get in the playoffs..

How does that help us out?
Reply/Quote
Again, I am not saying to have every coach say "we have to lose this one guys! C'mon! Lose on three... ready, break!" I am saying after we're eliminated, start the younger guys or guys that you haven't seen alot of to get a head start on next years scouting.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 02:25 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If they were going to tank, they should have done it weeks ago.

Depends on how you look at it. If the ravens play the Steelers, well then you actually want them in there.

Reply/Quote
Doesn't matter. Ravens are going to kick our asses regardless. So irrelevant.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 02:34 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Again, I am not saying to have every coach say "we have to lose this one guys! C'mon! Lose on three... ready, break!" I am saying after we're eliminated, start the younger guys or guys that you haven't seen alot of to get a head start on next years scouting.

First of all, none of the coaches will be here next year, so what do they care about next years scouting? Every coach is now in audition mode and should want their respective units to do well.

This isn't a preseason game, nor have they earned the luxury of resting some key players prior to the playoffs. If this (or any) team, players and coaches, aren't doing everything humanly possible to win their upcoming game, this team has no self-respect or pride in themselves, and not deserving of what fan support they have left.  You wanna know what the true character of a team is? See how they act and do their jobs with absolutely nothing on the line. To me, you play and get paid to win. Period. End of discussion.  

Besides, beating the snot out of the Ravens may do much more for the organization moving forward than the relatively minor draft hit.

Just my humble opinion.
Reply/Quote
I voted tank only because there was not a just put the third stringers in and see what happens option, which I guess is technically tanking.
Reply/Quote
tank
Reply/Quote
Was hoping they'd tank after the Bears/Vikings beatdowns, but then somehow the Bengals showed up and beat Detroit. At this point, Bengals might as well play it straight and try to screw Baltimore's season since a top 5 pick is no longer in play. Even so, Baltimore beats them by 2 touchdowns.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 03:43 PM)BMK Wrote: First of all, none of the coaches will be here next year, so what do they care about next years scouting? Every coach is now in audition mode and should want their respective units to do well.

This isn't a preseason game, nor have they earned the luxury of resting some key players prior to the playoffs. If this (or any) team, players and coaches, aren't doing everything humanly possible to win their upcoming game, this team has no self-respect or pride in themselves, and not deserving of what fan support they have left.  You wanna know what the true character of a team is? See how they act and do their jobs with absolutely nothing on the line. To me, you play and get paid to win. Period. End of discussion.  

Besides, beating the snot out of the Ravens may do much more for the organization moving forward than the relatively minor draft hit.

Just my humble opinion.

Good point on the coaches. That’s probably the reason this isn’t a popular topic amongst most. These coaches have a short life span, so every win and loss matters to them, no matter how trivial they may be.

And yeah, it’s why I said this needs to be a direction passed down from the front office. There’s no way I would excpext a player to purposely tank.

What I was getting at is if you’re having a bad season, and a team that lives and dies by the draft, wouldn’t a higher pick be better long turn investment? Or at least provides a higher probability and options?

And yes, I would love to beat the Ratbirds but disagree that it provides more for org than a possible franchise players that’ll play many more games compared to a single game that regardless of outcome leads to you going home
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 03:58 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: Was hoping they'd tank after the Bears/Vikings beatdowns, but then somehow the Bengals showed up and beat Detroit. At this point, Bengals might as well play it straight and try to screw Baltimore's season since a top 5 pick is no longer in play. Even so, Baltimore beats them by 2 touchdowns.

Yeah. It’s a moot point now since they beat the Lions, but was curious on people’s opinions on the matter
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 03:43 PM)BMK Wrote: First of all, none of the coaches will be here next year, so what do they care about next years scouting? Every coach is now in audition mode and should want their respective units to do well.

Just my humble opinion.

This only makes sense in bro filled hoorah land and only helps reinforce the stigma that football players are just dumb jocks.

First, any major injury that happens to a star player now ruins their season for next year.

Second, this IS the perfect opportunity to get to see players play that would normally not get a  chance to play. A strategic advantage that teams competing for the playoffs don't get.

And finally, I really find it hard to believe that if we try and win out our players will have any kind of character boost. This is a myth.  There will be a whole new team next year.
Reply/Quote
We’ve already missed out on a top 5 pick, so no reason to not try this week. We should have started “tanking” after the Steelers loss, the first one.
Reply/Quote
I was all about tanking after the start we had, little bit late for a true tank job now. Then, even had they tanked properly, who's to say they'd get the draft pick right?
Reply/Quote
Go down like the Titanic!!!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I know I'm intentionally sucking at my job right now so my boss can decide who should replace me. Anyways, I almost want them to tank because ending the year with a 2-game winning streak probably means more Marvin Lewis and even less changes than our low expectations had us hoping for.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 02:11 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: That is the question. I've had and seen discussion around this topic before, but wanted to make it official with a poll. Who thinks we should tank* to get a better draft pick?

*Tanking is not telling the player to "throw a game", rather the FO/staff subbing in AJ for AD, Bell for Tez, etc. You're simply stacking the deck to suck, without telling your players to suck.

The Bengals cannot make that choice, Baltimore will make it for them.
Reply/Quote