Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tobin Likes Williams At LT?!
(03-10-2021, 01:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sewell is 100% more talented than Jonah. Talent isn't results, it IS potential. There's all this talk about other guys being the better OT because of recency bias and because these guys are paid to write/talk/debate football, not just be like "yup, he's the best" and then sit there in silence. That's why you see bad takes like Chris Simms for NBCS saying Zach Wilson is the #1 QB over Trevor Lawrence. They want to be noticed.

When you win an Outland Trophy, it becomes your position if you want it. You've made it your B.

Potential gets a lot of coaches fired.  And as far as winning a college trophy for best lineman, there is a guy on our team that won the Remington trophy and he doesn't start at that position.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Been down a few days with a virus, so just catching up. Here's my take. LT is Williams' position to lose. If we get Sewell and he wants to play LT (who says he even wants to) , it's his position to take. We are paying Frank Pollack good money to make those decisions and get the best 5 players on the field. I'll let him make the call, I don't really care. Best 5 is all that matters.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 02:15 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: LOL.  A workout doesn't change anything for an OT.  

Yes, LT is his position.  That's what he played in college and that's what he is best suited for with his physical skills.

So a workout only changes for other positions ??? so why is that?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 04:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: On ESPN.com, it has us taking Sewell, but putting him at right tackle and starting Jonah Williams at left tackle because it says that Tobin says that they believe in Williams at LT?

First off, if Williams could get the job done at LT, we wouldn't need to be looking this hard at the draft and free agents to protect our future in Burrow.  

Second, why put an unproven guy there with an injury-ridden first two seasons over a guy like Sewell that has so much potential?

I feel like this would set us back for a year (possibly more) and just wouldn't be a good sign that the franchise is moving in the right direction.

Thoughts?

Have to disagree with you here Brad. Hart is being paid too much and Jonah also has so much potential as a LT just like 
Sewell does. Thinking keeping Jonah at LT and moving Sewell to RT is just as good of an option as putting Sewell at LT as
a rookie and moving Jonah.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 04:55 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: If Sewell is anywhere near the talent people are making him out to be you have to play him at LT.

You have three options if you're the Bengals (and you're smart):

1.) Draft Sewell, and move Jonah to RT
2.) Draft Sewell, and move Jonah to LG
3.) Don't draft Sewell (draft someone else), and keep Jonah at LT

Agreed. I like option 2, personally.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 04:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: On ESPN.com, it has us taking Sewell, but putting him at right tackle and starting Jonah Williams at left tackle because it says that Tobin says that they believe in Williams at LT?

First off, if Williams could get the job done at LT, we wouldn't need to be looking this hard at the draft and free agents to protect our future in Burrow.  

Second, why put an unproven guy there with an injury-ridden first two seasons over a guy like Sewell that has so much potential?

I feel like this would set us back for a year (possibly more) and just wouldn't be a good sign that the franchise is moving in the right direction.

Thoughts?

Seriously guys, what do you expect him to say at this point? "Bengals fans, we have given up on our early first round pick from 2 years ago, and we will move him to guard and replace him at LT" Its a smokescreen at best. It allows them to build up Jonah, and if they don't get Sewell they can say "we had faith in Jonah from the get go"
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 04:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Have to disagree with you here Brad. Hart is being paid too much and Jonah also has so much potential as a LT just like 
Sewell does. Thinking keeping Jonah at LT and moving Sewell to RT is just as good of an option as putting Sewell at LT as
a rookie and moving Jonah.

How's the saying go? The more new people you have at positions, the riskier it is?
Jonah Williams has been playing OT for the past 5+ years. Moving him to OG would be a risk since he hasn't played it. I definitely think he can play it, but there might be a learning curve. We've seen how Fred Johnson grossly underperformed at OG compared to OT.
Jonah Williams may never be an All-Pro OT, but he's good. And if you get Sewell, you can put him at RT and instantly upgrade RT. At this point, it doesn't matter if you play on the left side or right side. Teams like the Steelers having good pass rushers on both sides, so you need good pass protectors on both sides.

With all the OGs being cut recently, the OG market may be better for the Bengals now than OT. Perhaps it makes more sense now to sign 1-2 new OGs and then draft an OT in Rds 1-2.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I’m coming around on the idea of Sewell at RT. I’d actually like to see the percentages on how many times Garrett, Tj Watt, etc rushed from that side last year. We need two good OT’s in this division no matter what. I’m definitely against kicking Jonah inside.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 11:33 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: People really need to get over the LT RT stuff. So many good edge rushers come from the left side of the defense, LT isn't the glamour position it used to be. 

These are the guys the Bengals will face (on the roster last year) and how often they come over RT in 2021. 

Bosa - 81% (chargers) 8 sacks last year
TJ Watt - 97% (steelers x 2) 15 sacks last year
Okwara - 59% (lions) 10 sacks last year
Jones - 52% (chiefs) 8 sacks last year
Smith - 50% (packers) 13 sacks last year
Chubb - 20% (broncos) 8 sacks last year
Garrett - 42% (browns x 2) 12 sacks last year
Mack - 84% (bears) 9 sacks last year

That's not including Von Miller--primarily LOLB--who was hurt last year and the Broncos would like to restructure him (possible vet cut). 

(03-12-2021, 12:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m coming around on the idea of Sewell at RT. I’d actually like to see the percentages on how many times Garrett, Tj Watt, etc rushed from that side last year. We need two good OT’s in this division no matter what. I’m definitely against kicking Jonah inside.

That's a pretty good list, posted by rfaulk34, a few pages back in this thread.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 01:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's a pretty good list, posted by rfaulk34, a few pages back in this thread.

Nice. I must of missed it.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 12:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m coming around on the idea of Sewell at RT. I’d actually like to see the percentages on how many times Garrett, Tj Watt, etc rushed from that side last year. We need two good OT’s in this division no matter what. I’m definitely against kicking Jonah inside.

The best part about Sewell at RT is that he is a monster in the run game, and we seem to run more to the right, letting him just do a lot of downhill smash the defender type of blocking.

There is some concern with Sewell and the year off and being rusty. So, RT would be a good place to let him adjust to the NFL then you can decide his long-term fate. Especially if Jonah can't stay healthy, then you have the option to move him over.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 11:56 AM)ochocincos Wrote: How's the saying go? The more new people you have at positions, the riskier it is?
Jonah Williams has been playing OT for the past 5+ years. Moving him to OG would be a risk since he hasn't played it. I definitely think he can play it, but there might be a learning curve. We've seen how Fred Johnson grossly underperformed at OG compared to OT.
Jonah Williams may never be an All-Pro OT, but he's good. And if you get Sewell, you can put him at RT and instantly upgrade RT. At this point, it doesn't matter if you play on the left side or right side. Teams like the Steelers having good pass rushers on both sides, so you need good pass protectors on both sides.

With all the OGs being cut recently, the OG market may be better for the Bengals now than OT. Perhaps it makes more sense now to sign 1-2 new OGs and then draft an OT in Rds 1-2.

Well said, it helps with continuity and chemistry by keeping Jonah at LT. He has reps there against the Pros while Sewell does
not. I love Sewell's upside but he is not a guaranteed pro bowler right off the bat, but I sure bet he will be better than Hart right
off the bat. Also agree that going after a couple Guards in FA might be the way to go as this Draft is deep with talent at OT.
Reply/Quote
I look at it like this: Sewell is a far better prospect than Jonah was. If you're going to move a guy, move the inferior player who has somewhat disappointed. Not the all-world prospect that is about to be a top 5 pick for his play at the position you're moving him from.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 04:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I look at it like this: Sewell is a far better prospect than Jonah was. If you're going to move a guy, move the inferior player who has somewhat disappointed. Not the all-world prospect that is about to be a top 5 pick for his play at the position you're moving him from.

What if Sewell struggles early on at LT cause he is a rookie and gets Burrow hurt?

This is not out of the realm of possibility... 

Jonah was a damn good prospect himself, best in his Draft and has played against pros.
Reply/Quote