Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today I learned...
There is a subreddit about this, and I thought it could be fun to have a thread like this. Just post something you learned today that is funny or you think other people would find interesting.

For instance. TIL that Norwegians use the work "Texas" as slang for "crazy."

Hopefully some people will enjoy this thread idea.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
This may sound really stupid of me, but I just recently discovered that actor Paul Giamatti is the son of former baseball commissioner Bart Giamatti.
Reply/Quote
I'll come up with something. Seems to happen to me once a week or so.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I learned long ago that the reason all the trees in Oklahoma point south is because Texas sucks.. All that time I thought it was because the sun is usually in the southern sky.. Well, go live in Texas awhile and you'll find out..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I never knew David Bowie's real name is David Jones so he changed his last name to Bowie as to not be confused with Davey Jones of The Monkees. Also, David Bowie is the father of the director Duncan Jones who just made the movie Warcraft.
Reply/Quote
When I moved into my first place I learned to never fry bacon in the nude.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2016, 10:26 AM)Beaker Wrote: When I moved into my first place I learned to never fry bacon in the nude.

Word!
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2016, 09:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This may sound really stupid of me, but I just recently discovered that actor Paul Giamatti is the son of former baseball commissioner Bart Giamatti.

I had no clue. I totally see it in the two of them now.

I learned this today.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Cooking bacon on the grill WILL require a 911 call.

Reply/Quote
Not too long ago, I learned the lead singer of Red Rider (Lunatic Fringe) is Tom Cochrane who went on to record "Life is a Highway". Ruined my whole day.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2016, 10:26 AM)Beaker Wrote: When I moved into my first place I learned to never fry bacon in the nude.

Every once in a while I have to relearn to not cook without a shirt on. My wife yells at me every time, but I'm stubborn and it's too warm.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Today I learned that black men are very well endowed. And I learned it on this MB no less.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Boner was Scotty's son.

[Image: th?id=OIP.Mb09b66722a535302c1cfdc6a42ff0...=178&h=153][Image: th?id=OIP.Med122af1bb23619d6c642adb133b3...=222&h=169]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Today I learned once again, that if you keep looking for something long enough, you'll find it in the last place you look.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
That singer guy(Dan Wilson)from Semisonic who played the song "Closing Time" is a big time writer and producer for many artists.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2016, 08:08 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Boner was Scotty's son.

[Image: th?id=OIP.Mb09b66722a535302c1cfdc6a42ff0...=178&h=153][Image: th?id=OIP.Med122af1bb23619d6c642adb133b3...=222&h=169]

Chekov's son, actually.  Chekov wil be 80 this September14.  Trying to reconcile that in my head.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2016, 08:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Today I learned once again, that if you keep looking for something long enough, you'll find it in the last place you look.

Of course it will be the last place you look.  Why would you keep looking for something after you found it?
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2016, 09:24 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Chekov's son, actually.  Chekov wil be 80 this September14.  Trying to reconcile that in my head.  

Ah yes Chekov.  I remember seeing it a while back.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2016, 09:56 PM)Penn Wrote: Of course it will be the last place you look.  Why would you keep looking for something after you found it?

No, you wouldn't continue to look.  Unless you were a dumbass, or just bored.  However, that phrase does remind me of how humorous when say, my son asks me if I know where his keys are, and I reply, "No, but I'm betting that they are right where you left them".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2016, 10:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No, you wouldn't continue to look.  Unless you were a dumbass, or just bored.  However, that phrase does remind me of how humorous when say, my son asks me if I know where his keys are, and I reply, "No, but I'm betting that they are right where you left them".

Right, it would be more accurate to say "It's never in the first place you look."  Or, second or third place.  Fourth place's the charm.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote