Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Today's 11,000 Days Since Last Playoff Win
(02-17-2021, 12:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.

If Hills fumble gave them the ball close to scoring position then it would have been moot.  But since he did not it is not moot.

If Bengals defense does not implode Bengals still win even with Hill's fumble.

Hill deserves part of the blame, but not all the blame.

Great QB's like Manning, Brady, Brees, and yes, even the rapist are good at taking the ball downfield and scoring on the last drive. It's why they get paid what they do. All Hill had to do was not give them the ball. The call on Burfict was probably legit, though close, and the call on Pacman was complete BS. If they flag was thrown on anyone, it should have been thrown on Porter for being in the Bengals huddle, not on Jones for going after him and "touching" a referee. From the moment Hill turned the ball over, we weren't winning that game.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 01:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: . From the moment Hill turned the ball over, we weren't winning that game.

Since the Steelers were FAR from scoring range and Ben could barely throw the ball that is not Hill's fault.

Hill deserves some blame, but it was not all his fault.  If the defense does not implode Bengals still win.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 03:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Meh.

One single playoff win is not really that big of a deal.  As soon as we win one the whiners won't celebrate.  Instead they will just shift to "Playoff wins are meaningless if you don't win a championship.  Celebrating a playoff win is just accepting mediocrity."

Tell that to the Bucks, Wizards, and Hawks a few years ago. All they ever did was just get into the playoffs.

Of course now the Hawks and Bullets suck and the Bucks seem so close.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 01:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Great QB's like Manning, Brady, Brees, and yes, even the rapist are good at taking the ball downfield and scoring on the last drive. It's why they get paid what they do. All Hill had to do was not give them the ball. The call on Burfict was probably legit, though close, and the call on Pacman was complete BS. If they flag was thrown on anyone, it should have been thrown on Porter for being in the Bengals huddle, not on Jones for going after him and "touching" a referee. From the moment Hill turned the ball over, we weren't winning that game.

Don't defensive players get paid to force turnovers?  Hill's fumble sucked, but boiling that single game much less our 30 year playoff drought to that one play and that one guy is just...meh...too convenient, I guess.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 03:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Meh.

One single playoff win is not really that big of a deal.  As soon as we win one the whiners won't celebrate.  Instead they will just shift to "Playoff wins are meaningless if you don't win a championship.  Celebrating a playoff win is just accepting mediocrity."

Doubtful. At least not until there is a succession of years where they win 1 playoff game and then lose the next. 

That's kind of how it worked with making the playoffs. After several years, it became "meh". 

But don't let me get in the way of a good 'whiner bashing' moment. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 09:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The Jeremy Hill fumble has reached the Lewis Billups INT status of reasons we lost.

Both players made a good play (Billups defending a pass/ Jeremy rushing for a first down to kill the game) unfortunately neither ended well. But neither lost the game.

True. Both were plays that just contributed to a loss. But their magnitude is increased due to what their outcome could have meant. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I blame Andy Daltons thumb for the playoff loss. If he hadn’t broken his thumb then the game wouldn’t have been close and Hill wouldn’t have gotten a chance to fumble late in the game. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 01:35 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I blame Andy Daltons thumb for the playoff loss. If he hadn’t broken his thumb then the game wouldn’t have been close and Hill wouldn’t have gotten a chance to fumble late in the game. Ninja

Like to point out that Martavis Bryant's TD wasn't a catch too. Pittsburgh should've needed a TD to win the game.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 01:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Don't defensive players get paid to force turnovers?  Hill's fumble sucked, but boiling that single game much less our 30 year playoff drought to that one play and that one guy is just...meh...too convenient, I guess.

I would agree with that statement if we needed the yardage he fighting to get. We didn't....all he had to do it what Marvin told him to right before the play. But no, he had to try to get yards we didn't need and lost the ball because of it. 
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 02:45 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I would agree with that statement if we needed the yardage he fighting to get. We didn't....all he had to do it what Marvin told him to right before the play. But no, he had to try to get yards we didn't need and lost the ball because of it. 

Good ol' Marivn...telling players to not fight for more.  No wonder he's 0-7 in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 04:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The "first step" is making the playoffs.  That is what I mean by moving the goalposts.  In the early 2000's all Bengal fans talked about was "making the playoffs".  But then when we went to the playoffs 6 times in 7 years Bengal fans had to change to "winning a playoff game" as the ultimate measure of which teams were most successful.  And as soon as we win a playoff game that will no longer matter.

Not defending the drought.  Just pointing out the nature of how fans change their opinion to enhance their victim status.

If you haven't won a playoff game in 11,000 days then you are a victim. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 04:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Good ol' Marivn...telling players to not fight for more.  No wonder he's 0-7 in the playoffs.

Marvin was 100% correct when he told him to get what was there, then go down, instead of fighting for more. 100% correct. If Hill had done what he was told, Marvin would be 1-6.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 05:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Marvin was 100% correct when he told him to get what was there, then go down, instead of fighting for more. 100% correct. If Hill had done what he was told, Marvin would be 1-6.

Well, more like 1-7 since we'd never win 2 playoff games in a row.

Listen, to hell with Hill, but the guy wasn't even born when our playoff drought started.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 05:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Marvin was 100% correct when he told him to get what was there, then go down, instead of fighting for more. 100% correct. If Hill had done what he was told, Marvin would be 1-6.

Exactly...  just gotta know when is the right time to fight for more... 

we have seen many fumbles from players trying to get a few extra yards when it wasnt needed on that play.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 02:39 PM)jason Wrote: Like to point out that Martavis Bryant's TD wasn't a catch too. Pittsburgh should've needed a TD to win the game.

This is correct as well as the hit on GIO should have been flagged imo.
Reply/Quote

If our defense had not imploded we would be 1-6.

Pitt got the ball on their own 9 yard line with 1:23 left and an injured QB who could barely throw the ball.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 06:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If our defense had not imploded we would be 1-6.

Pitt got the ball on their own 9 yard line with 1:23 left and an injured QB who could barely throw the ball.

true but less than 30 seconds before that the defense had pretty muched iced the game we justed needed to run the ball 3 downs.  (i think we needed a 1st down to milk the clock to zero)  but all we had to do was rush 3 times to kill the clock and we failed!!!
Reply/Quote
If Hill doesn't fumble and we win that game then we don't fire Marvin after 2018 and if we don't fire Marvin then we don't hire ZT and if we don't hire ZT we never get bad enough to draft 1st overall and take Joe Burrow.

I think we all owe Jeremy Hill and apology.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 06:29 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: true but less than 30 seconds before that the defense had pretty muched iced the game we justed needed to run the ball 3 downs.  (i think we needed a 1st down to milk the clock to zero)  but all we had to do was rush 3 times to kill the clock and we failed!!!

Steelers had all 3 time outs left.  We run 3 times a nd kick a FG Pit gets the ball back with a minute left down by 4.

Our defense has to stop them no matter what.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 06:04 PM)motoarch Wrote: Really? We're still blaming Jeremy Hill and not the 2 dumbasses that committed back to back stupid penalties.

And here comes the flaming and excuses.

Whatever; don't care, go yell it too a wall.

Reasonable fans would blame all three, as all three played significant roles in the epic meltdown.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote