Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Today's 11,000 Days Since Last Playoff Win
(02-17-2021, 07:40 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Reasonable fans would blame all three, as all three played significant roles in the epic meltdown.

If the first one does his job and follows the very first rule that you're taught as a ball carrier in football, especially in the biggest moment of his career, then the other two don't even have a chance to play a role in it.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 07:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Steelers had all 3 time outs left.  We run 3 times a nd kick a FG Pit gets the ball back with a minute left down by 4.

Our defense has to stop them no matter what.

Pretty presumptuous of you to assume Pittsburgh would get a clean three and out. 
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 01:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Don't defensive players get paid to force turnovers?  Hill's fumble sucked, but boiling that single game much less our 30 year playoff drought to that one play and that one guy is just...meh...too convenient, I guess.

You mean like the should-have-been-game-sealing-INT on the enemy side of the field that gave the offense the ball with 1:43 left? All they had to do was just not turn it over.

The defense had already held the 4th scoring offense to just 15 points through 58 minutes before the Hill fumble, 6 of the 15 were FGs set up by McCarron turnovers on the Bengals side of the field.

(02-17-2021, 07:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If Hill doesn't fumble and we win that game then we don't fire Marvin after 2018 and if we don't fire Marvin then we don't hire ZT and if we don't hire ZT we never get bad enough to draft 1st overall and take Joe Burrow.

I think we all owe Jeremy Hill and apology.

Sure, but then we wouldn't have to watch a 6-25-1 run and the Bengals still would have a shot at Justin Herbert.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Reds are not far behind. Their last playoff win was Oct 1995.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 07:43 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: If the first one does his job and follows the very first rule that you're taught as a ball carrier in football, especially in the biggest moment of his career, then the other two don't even have a chance to play a role in it.

You have to also remember it was raining all game long. With a wet football it's still possible to protect it as best as possible and still fumble it. Yes he's partly to blame but so is the defense. It's simply not fair to place the entire blame on him.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 04:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The "first step" is making the playoffs.  That is what I mean by moving the goalposts.  In the early 2000's all Bengal fans talked about was "making the playoffs".  But then when we went to the playoffs 6 times in 7 years Bengal fans had to change to "winning a playoff game" as the ultimate measure of which teams were most successful.  And as soon as we win a playoff game that will no longer matter.

Not defending the drought.  Just pointing out the nature of how fans change their opinion to enhance their victim status.

Of course we did! What, were we supposed to keep hoping for more playoff losses? 
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 07:55 PM)cinci4life Wrote: You have to also remember it was raining all game long. With a wet football it's still possible to protect it as best as possible and still fumble it. Yes he's partly to blame but so is the defense. It's simply not fair to place the entire blame on him.

That's why you wrap it up in both arms with both hands and fold your upper body over it whenever there's anyone near you.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 09:24 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Does anyone own a division champs shirt? I always found those shirts/hats funny. Yay we won the division! Which basically equates to nothing more than home field advantage in the AFCN.

I have one from 2005.  I was in college at the time, about 40 minutes outside Pittsburgh.  Even though I was in Ohio, it's all Browns and Steelers fans there so no one wants Bengals gear.  I found it at a Ross type store for about $2.  It served me well as a home/lawn work shirt for years.  Then it just became embarrassing to wear if I needed to run to a store.  Celebrating a divisional win isn't much, and thinking how long it had been since a playoff win, and that shirt has sat in a drawer untouched for years now.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 07:46 PM)GodFather Wrote: Pretty presumptuous of you to assume Pittsburgh would get a clean three and out. 

Not when everyone is saying that Hill should not even try to gain any yards.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 07:43 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: If the first one does his job and follows the very first rule that you're taught as a ball carrier in football, especially in the biggest moment of his career, then the other two don't even have a chance to play a role in it.

Steelers had all three timeouts.  Bengals could not have killed the clock without getting a first down.  
Reply/Quote
Didn't we blow it in AZ in a similar way and it turned into "Dalton audibled into a pass and stopped the clock when we should have taken 3 knees and kicked a FG" or some sort of hindsight "woulda won had we not tried to win" sort of thing?

We never go for the jugular...until we do and then we never shoulda gone for the jugular.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 03:08 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: That's why you wrap it up in both arms with both hands and fold your upper body over it whenever there's anyone near you.

Which was part of my point. He could have done that but with a wet football there's a higher chance of a fumble. Either way the defense needed to do it's job too and failed.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 02:53 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Which was part of my point. He could have done that but with a wet football there's a higher chance of a fumble. Either way the defense needed to do it's job too and failed.

He didn't fumble because the ball was wet, he fumbled because he let it be ripped out.  It's not like the ball slipped from his arms or he lost grip of it because it was wet while trying to catch a pitch or anything.  He fumbled because he didn't follow the first rule that you're taught in football.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 07:40 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Reasonable fans would blame all three, as all three played significant roles in the epic meltdown.

The point is that the defense did its job and the second two wouldn't even have had a chance to make mistakes if Jeremy Hill hadn't made the dumbest mistake in franchise history.

I guess we should also blame the refs, then, since Porter wasn't even legally allowed to be on the field, so Pacman never should have even been able to attempt to hit him and mistakingly hit/bump the ref.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 04:45 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He didn't fumble because the ball was wet, he fumbled because he let it be ripped out.  It's not like the ball slipped from his arms or he lost grip of it because it was wet while trying to catch a pitch or anything.  He fumbled because he didn't follow the first rule that you're taught in football.

And a wet football is much easier to rip loose no matter how much you protect it. Just going to have to agree to disagree. Back to the original point the defense still had a job to do and they imploded. Yes you can put some blame on Hill but to not put any blame on the defense is just dumb and ignorant.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 05:57 PM)cinci4life Wrote: And a wet football is much easier to rip loose no matter how much you protect it. Just going to have to agree to disagree. Back to the original point the defense still had a job to do and they imploded. Yes you can put some blame on Hill but to not put any blame on the defense is just dumb and ignorant.

The defense did its job and forced a turnover!  You can't expect them to keep doing everything, especially when they have to be angry that you just blew your one, simple job and make them come back out to do it again?
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 05:59 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: The defense did its job and forced a turnover!  You can't expect them to keep doing everything, especially when they have to be angry that you just blew your one, simple job and make them come back out to do it again?

As fred pointed out several times Pitt had all 3 timeouts so it was a very high likelyhood the defense was coming out to make one more stand anyway. Gotta be prepared for anything.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 06:29 PM)cinci4life Wrote: As fred pointed out several times Pitt had all 3 timeouts so it was a very high likelyhood the defense was coming out to make one more stand anyway. Gotta be prepared for anything.

They use all 3 timeouts if Hill holds onto the ball because they need to stop the clock.  Do you think they'd just let time tick away?

Then, we kick a field goal and make them go the length of the field and have to score a touchdown instead of settling for a field goal to beat us.

Sometimes I wonder if people think that me being brain damaged doesn't let me understand simple and obvious concepts.........
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 07:11 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: They use all 3 timeouts if Hill holds onto the ball because they need to stop the clock.  Do you think they'd just let time tick away?

Then, we kick a field goal and make them go the length of the field and have to score a touchdown instead of settling for a field goal to beat us.

Sometimes I wonder if people think that me being brain damaged doesn't let me understand simple and obvious concepts.........

There's no guarantee that we make the FG. We had the ball at the 26. If Jeremy does what many in here are suggesting he should have done we most like lose a yard or 2. So on 4th down were on the 28 attempting a 45 yard FG with Mike Nugent. 

Nuge misses and the D commits the same bonehead errors. Pit wins. As I've said: It's unfortunate JH fumbled but he didn't lose the game. He was trying to win it. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 08:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There's no guarantee that we make the FG. We had the ball at the 26. If Jeremy does what many in here are suggesting he should have done we most like lose a yard or 2. So on 4th down were on the 28 attempting a 45 yard FG with Mike Nugent. 

Nuge misses and the D commits the same bonehead errors. Pit wins. As I've said: It's unfortunate JH fumbled but he didn't lose the game. He was trying to win it. 

You think they still commit that error if Hill doesn't fumble?  You think it all goes the same way?  You think they would've felt just as defeated and demoralized?  You think emotions would have been just as high?  Why do you think Pitt would have called the same plays?
Reply/Quote