Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Today's win was a culture changing win
The Steelers today played like the Bengals of old and the Bengals played like the Steelers. I don't recall of a Bengals team to completely dominate a Steelers team in their stadium. The aggression today was amazing too, where Burrow pushed it down the field to Chase before half and they tried to push it down the field again before half but the holding call ruined that. This was a culture changing win, the defense played amazing and Logan Wilson is a ball hawk. Feels good to not fear the Steelers anymore. Who Dey!
Reply/Quote
Agree and now its time to

Fear the Raven nevermore as well
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 12:44 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree and now its time to

Fear the Raven nevermore as well

Props to Zac, maybe he really is building a new culture
Reply/Quote
I think most of our players are young enough to not know what the Steelers “rivalry” is about, considering Ben has been crushing us for so long.

So the naïveté to the situation helps us.
Reply/Quote
Just finished watching the game, it was good to see the team dominate the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
I’m cautiously optimistic.
Reply/Quote
The Steelers and Ben have pushed the Bengals around for at least 15 years, so yesterday's victory was fun. Another win against the Jags on Thursday is needed to say the culture is changing, though, and then after that at least one win against the Browns and Ravens. To me, the Browns seem better, at least so far.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 12:28 AM)Trademark Wrote: The Steelers today played like the Bengals of old and the Bengals played like the Steelers. I don't recall of a Bengals team to completely dominate a Steelers team in their stadium. The aggression today was amazing too, where Burrow pushed it down the field to Chase before half and they tried to push it down the field again before half but the holding call ruined that. This was a culture changing win, the defense played amazing and Logan Wilson is a ball hawk. Feels good to not fear the Steelers anymore. Who Dey!

Dead on.  I had been making the case that even though it had seemingly been since the 80s that these two teams traded blows evenly, it would eventually change.  I think Tomlin has lost a lot of great assistants and is exposed.  

Michigan owned Ohio State for a long time of my youth, but now the opposite has happened.  I think this could be the turning point for some time.

Sure, the Bengals will have to keep growing, keep their key guys, and keep having drafts like this past years, but I see blue skies ahead for Cincy and nothing but bacon for the pig and his team.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 12:28 AM)Trademark Wrote: The Steelers today played like the Bengals of old and the Bengals played like the Steelers. I don't recall of a Bengals team to completely dominate a Steelers team in their stadium. The aggression today was amazing too, where Burrow pushed it down the field to Chase before half and they tried to push it down the field again before half but the holding call ruined that. This was a culture changing win, the defense played amazing and Logan Wilson is a ball hawk. Feels good to not fear the Steelers anymore. Who Dey!

was a good win and should have been a win based on the health of both squads..

Im glad we did something we were suppose to. finally.
Reply/Quote
The culture changing win came last year on MNF. We knocked the winning spirit out of Juju and the entire Steelers team that night. Juju’s body may not be dancing anymore but his soul is still out there dancing somewhere.
Reply/Quote
Think we are over reacting a little here.

Don' get me wrong. I LOVED this win. It always feels amazing to beat the Steelers. But I did not see anything that will "change the culture" just yet.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 01:57 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I think most of our players are young enough to not know what the Steelers “rivalry” is about, considering Ben has been crushing us for so long.

Believe it, they know. Every kid that grew up watching football knows the Bengals and Steelers hate each other, and once they get in the building, they learn even more about it. One of the players (don't remember which one) said the other day when asked about  the game that "everyone in this division really dislikes everyone else" The Bengals/Steelers feud is well known. It's nice to be on the other side of it for awhile.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 01:57 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I think most of our players are young enough to not know what the Steelers “rivalry” is about, considering Ben has been crushing us for so long.

I am pretty sure that most of the guys on this team are old enough that they were NFL fans in 2015.  The media was all over our "blood feud" back then.

This is not ancient history.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 07:11 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I’m cautiously optimistic.

This. 

One game, but it felt good!
Reply/Quote
During the streak of consecutive losses to them 2015-20, we had a few games where we went up big on them only to let them claw back and beat us in the end.

If this one instance of going up big and NOT giving up the game in the end is a culture change, I'm all for it. Just that ability to finish games would be a welcome change around here!
Reply/Quote
I'm still too hesitant to say this team is turned around.
I want to see how things go up to the bye week.
The Bengals should have some winnable games in the next 6 weeks.

Week 4 - vs JAX
Week 5 - vs GB
Week 6 - @ DET
Week 7- @ BAL
Week 8 - @ NYJ
Week 9 - vs CLE

I think the Bengals should be favored in 3 of those games (JAX, DET, NYJ).
If they end up going 3-3 up to the bye week, I'd say that's about expected.
If they do better than that, I'll have more confidence that things really took a jump this year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I’d still like to see them go for the jugular in games like this. One more touchdown would have left no doubt. They still tend to turtle when they get a lead. The killer instinct will come, this team is young and getting hungry.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 04:04 PM)Cicero Wrote: I’d still like to see them go for the jugular in games like this. One more touchdown would have left no doubt. They still tend to turtle when they get a lead. The killer instinct will come, this team is young and getting hungry.

They did go for the jugular? In the first half they were pushing down the field until that holding call ruined it
Reply/Quote

I don't like this take... Yes alot of players are new to the Bengals vs Steelers rivalry but a Rivalry game is something instantly understood. These guys have grown up with High School rivalry games and college rivalry games.. we even have rivalry games in pop warner.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 04:26 PM)Synric Wrote: I don't like this take... Yes alot of players are new to the Bengals vs Steelers rivalry but a Rivalry game is something instantly understood. These guys have grown up with High School rivalry games and college rivalry games.. we even have rivalry games in pop warner.

There is a big difference between a rivalry game and what this series had become for a few years. The late hits, the animosity, it was brutal. 

I remember at the time when things were at their worst in the series players from the steelers saying they viewed the Ravens as a rival and that is was a hard game but respect was on both sides, but there wasn't a respect for the Bengals. That mindset is what is gone from the younger guys. Sure, they have a rivalry with a division opponent and want to win, but there wasn't any of the late hits and cheap tactics that had been around this series for years. The only pushing and shoving I saw was one time when a steeler DLman pushed Carman after a block was finished. Another OL calmly walked Carman away. 

There was never a time on the board where it was all... ohh it's Ravens week or ohh it's Browns week. And if the players don't turn this back into the big bad boogeyman team from Pittsburgh I think it is a better mindset.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote