Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Today's win was a culture changing win
(09-28-2021, 07:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: While I agree looking for an ejection is probably over the top, baiting our players into penalties certainly isn't. Don't forget Heyward and Spain's little dust up either. 

Sled's got a bit of a point. They're dirty af and have been since the Knoll era. I don't think we need to rehash all of it (and that's just against us), but these pukes have been dirty for decades, then cry foul when someone dishes it back. See Raiders, LA, and Burfict, Vontaze.

EDIT: it's nice to have guys with a little bit cooler heads out there these days. So far, the players we have picked up the last three years don't seem to fall for that shit.

Oh I don't disagree at all that they are dirty and that they try to bait guys into losing their cool and to get penalties, but to think that they sat around before the game and said "okay I want you to go start a fight with their rookie right guard and get him ejected" is just beyond insanity and if Sled or anyone really thinks they went into the game with a plan to get a rookie ejected and risk their own dude getting tossed too, they've eaten too many paint chips, or just really sank too far into conspiracy land.

Could I see them saying "Hey, he is a rookie, you can bait him into a penalty or two and that will rattle him and get under his skin", absolutely. Probably targeting him in the hopes he'd push back, get 15 and then like so many years past it would get into the heads of all the players and cause issues. 

But there is zero chance, that any coach, even as dirty as the steelers are, is saying "Hey go start a fight to get a rookie ejected" when the real possibility exists that both players get ejected. Especially with Watt out and their DL lacking depth.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 07:17 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Once the league clamped on those late hits and cheap tactics, the Steelers began to crumble as soon as the enabling was taken away. 

It's kinda interesting.

They were all powerful in the 70's and the league got serious about steroids and they crumpled.

Then they rebounded with dirty plays, holding and cheap shots to rise again only to watch the league clamp down and hopefully send them back to the Tommy Maddox years of garbage.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 07:17 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Once the league clamped on those late hits and cheap tactics, the Steelers began to crumble as soon as the enabling was taken away. 

Kinda funny how "hard nosed Stooler football" isn't so hard nosed anymore.

(09-28-2021, 07:30 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Oh I don't disagree at all that they are dirty and that they try to bait guys into losing their cool and to get penalties, but to think that they sat around before the game and said "okay I want you to go start a fight with their rookie right guard and get him ejected" is just beyond insanity and if Sled or anyone really thinks they went into the game with a plan to get a rookie ejected and risk their own dude getting tossed too, they've eaten too many paint chips, or just really sank too far into conspiracy land.

Could I see them saying "Hey, he is a rookie, you can bait him into a penalty or two and that will rattle him and get under his skin", absolutely. Probably targeting him in the hopes he'd push back, get 15 and then like so many years past it would get into the heads of all the players and cause issues. 

But there is zero chance, that any coach, even as dirty as the steelers are, is saying "Hey go start a fight to get a rookie ejected" when the real possibility exists that both players get ejected. Especially with Watt out and their DL lacking depth.

Yeah, I wouldn't think that either. The key is "in the past". That's what the edit I put in is about. A couple more push and shoves, leads to a fifteen yarder, maybe another, a missed personal foul on them, and then everything went ape shit. Back then, I could see an ejection a possibility. Not planning for it, mind you. That was a point in the game I let out a sigh of relief. One of own was there to police that shit. Get everyone in the huddle. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 07:40 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: It's kinda interesting.

They were all powerful in the 70's and the league got serious about steroids and they crumpled.

Then they rebounded with dirty plays, holding and cheap shots to rise again only to watch the league clamp down and hopefully send them back to the Tommy Maddox years of garbage.

They sure cried a lot about Al and the Raiders back in the 70s.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 07:11 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I’m cautiously optimistic.

That's weird, because I'm optimistically cautious.  Hmm
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 02:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm still too hesitant to say this team is turned around.
I want to see how things go up to the bye week.
The Bengals should have some winnable games in the next 6 weeks.

Week 4 - vs JAX
Week 5 - vs GB
Week 6 - @ DET
Week 7- @ BAL
Week 8 - @ NYJ
Week 9 - vs CLE

I think the Bengals should be favored in 3 of those games (JAX, DET, NYJ).
If they end up going 3-3 up to the bye week, I'd say that's about expected.
If they do better than that, I'll have more confidence that things really took a jump this year.

^This^

I'm not ready to start dancing in the streets yet. We go 4-2 over those 6 games and don't get curb stomped in the loses I'll start feeling better about the ZT lead Bengals.
Reply/Quote