Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Todd Monken should get the job
I don't love Monken, but I do like him. Piled up a ton of yards this year. Experience as a HC (on the collegiate level).

We could certainly do worse.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 05:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: One thing to remember with Monken is he is one of those guys on the cutting edge incorporating more and more Air Raid concepts. If we are looking out to a QB in the future he would be a great higher as the Air Raid QB's coming in over the last couple years are all the rage.

I like this.

(01-08-2019, 05:57 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: Since my original response was removed due to a left turn thrown by someone else, I will try again.

I have my reasons.

Most of those reasons have to do with where those guys are coming from.  Both have been put in situations that were already mostly established and successful and more than likely been successful without their input.

They were not the architects or masterminds of the systems that they were put in, but more of builders that just did what the architects told them to do.

Taylor and Monken on the other hand were instrumental in the building process and helped create the turn around seen in their franchises.  Monken did it on multiple levels and did a great job with a bad situation in TB.  Taylor was instrumental in assisting McVay in making the Rams the team they are.

Great HCs are great communicators not great motivators.  I know they seem like the same thing but they are not.  You can be motivated by someone you don't respect and even hate, but sooner or later you lose your motivation and don't perform, just look at the Steelers.  A great communicator on the other hand will not only tell you WHAT to do but WHY you need to do it that way which is motivation enough.

McVay has stated that Taylor is a great communicator and that he will challenge in a way that is well received and respected.  

Those are some great reasons, might be talking me into your guys here.

I still would be happy with any of these guys over Vance Joseph or of course and inside hire which i highly doubt happens now.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 06:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like this.

Those are some great reasons, might be talking me into your guys here.

I still would be happy with any of these guys over Vance Joseph or of course and inside hire which i highly doubt happens now.

No doubt.  I don't want Vance Joseph OR Hue Jackson.  I know some would be OK with Joseph as DC, but I don't think he did that great of a job as DC.  Hue on the other hand as OC, I would be OK with, since he did do well as an OC while he was here.

I look at it like this.  If the Bengals continue to do what they are doing and having interviews that is OK with me.  Yes I have the guys I want and then guys I would be disappointed with.  If the guys I want decided to sign elsewhere I would not blame the Bengals for not trying, then if they sign a guy that I don't want it would be OK since they are at least TRYING to get someone I consider a good candidate.

What I don't want is for a guy like Monken or Taylor to be available and us sign a guy like Bienemy or Joseph.  I would look at it as more of the same, hell maybe even worse than with Lewis at the helm.

Given this organization's penchant for retaining guys past their expiration date I would be very disappointed if the guy I wanted was overlooked due to the glitz and glamour of a guy that really shouldn't have been in consideration in the first place.

Now if Taylor and Monken decide to go elsewhere and turn us down and we have no choice but to take Bienemy or Joseph or Jackson then I would be less disappointed (even though I know there had to be someone that was more deserving but was overlooked by the flash).  For instance I was intrigued by the prospect of McDaniels (but was just as leery of him since he is the same as Bienemy) however he has decided to forgo being a HC.  It was his decision and not any of the other organizations that reached out to him,  so you can't blame the Bengals for him not being our HC, even though there are people who will try.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 06:57 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: No doubt.  I don't want Vance Joseph OR Hue Jackson.  I know some would be OK with Joseph as DC, but I don't think he did that great of a job as DC.  Hue on the other hand as OC, I would be OK with, since he did do well as an OC while he was here.

I look at it like this.  If the Bengals continue to do what they are doing and having interviews that is OK with me.  Yes I have the guys I want and then guys I would be disappointed with.  If the guys I want decided to sign elsewhere I would not blame the Bengals for not trying, then if they sign a guy that I don't want it would be OK since they are at least TRYING to get someone I consider a good candidate.

What I don't want is for a guy like Monken or Taylor to be available and us sign a guy like Bienemy or Joseph.  I would look at it as more of the same, hell maybe even worse than with Lewis at the helm.

Given this organization's penchant for retaining guys past their expiration date I would be very disappointed if the guy I wanted was overlooked due to the glitz and glamour of a guy that really shouldn't have been in consideration in the first place.

Now if Taylor and Monken decide to go elsewhere and turn us down and we have no choice but to take Bienemy or Joseph or Jackson then I would be less disappointed (even though I know there had to be someone that was more deserving but was overlooked by the flash).  For instance I was intrigued by the prospect of McDaniels (but was just as leery of him since he is the same as Bienemy) however he has decided to forgo being a HC.  It was his decision and not any of the other organizations that reached out to him,  so you can't blame the Bengals for him not being our HC, even though there are people who will try.

The thing about Beinemy is he hasn't been a HC before and is an offensive minded, creative coach.

Joseph was a Head Coach and not a very good one. If it is between these two i take Beinemy every time.

Also Beinemy is more of a big name right now so he might bring in more hot name Coordinators and Assistants.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 05:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: One thing to remember with Monken is he is one of those guys on the cutting edge incorporating more and more Air Raid concepts. If we are looking out to a QB in the future he would be a great higher as the Air Raid QB's coming in over the last couple years are all the rage.

Cardinals just inked Kliff Kingsbury another Air Raid guy.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 07:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The thing about Beinemy is he hasn't been a HC before and is an offensive minded, creative coach.

Joseph was a Head Coach and not a very good one. If it is between these two i take Beinemy every time.

Also Beinemy is more of a big name right now so he might bring in more hot name Coordinators and Assistants.

I don't think Beinemy will be that hot of a prospect in bringing in coordinators and assistants. 

I would be happier with Joseph over Beinemy personally, but wouldn't care either way as I don't see either one having any real or long term success.

I get that you think Beinemy is this creative minded guy but he didn't actually create the Chiefs offense, he inherited it and had guidance from one of the most creative offensive minds in the NFL.  Add that Mahomes played risky ball (making decisions that weren't the best) but payed off (they may not have been the BEST decision but at least it wasn't a disaster and actually turned out positive) I would be worried that Beinemy wouldn't know what to do with a QB that doesn't take chances. 

You could argue that he will bring out the gunslinger in Dalton but that type of coaching will be high risk/ high reward, high penalty.  Then he will make the excuse upon failing that IF he had HIS QB then we would be better.  I see it as 3 to 4 years of guaranteed playoff misses and possibly more if this organization sticks with him even after his repeated failures.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 07:26 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: I don't think Beinemy will be that hot of a prospect in bringing in coordinators and assistants. 

I would be happier with Joseph over Beinemy personally, but wouldn't care either way as I don't see either one having any real or long term success.

I get that you think Beinemy is this creative minded guy but he didn't actually create the Chiefs offense, he inherited it and had guidance from one of the most creative offensive minds in the NFL.  Add that Mahomes played risky ball (making decisions that weren't the best) but payed off (they may not have been the BEST decision but at least it wasn't a disaster and actually turned out positive) I would be worried that Beinemy wouldn't know what to do with a QB that doesn't take chances. 

You could argue that he will bring out the gunslinger in Dalton but that type of coaching will be high risk/ high reward, high penalty.  Then he will make the excuse upon failing that IF he had HIS QB then we would be better.  I see it as 3 to 4 years of guaranteed playoff misses and possibly more if this organization sticks with him even after his repeated failures.

I guess we just disagree on Beinemy man.

Think it will take some time but by his 2nd season we should be making a run and we might actually have a chance at a Playoff win with him unlike Marv. Being creative and ahead of the game is what he is known for and he is a great communicator as well just like Taylor.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 07:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I guess we just disagree on Beinemy man.

Think it will take some time but by his 2nd season we should be making a run and we might actually have a chance at a Playoff win with him unlike Marv. Being creative and ahead of the game is what he is known for and he is a great communicator as well just like Taylor.

It is OK to disagree.  I get WHY people are high on him.  However I am not one of those people.  IF I am right about him and he is the selection then I won't be as disappointed when proven right.  I would be mad if we hire him and Taylor or Monken still available and they signed with another squad and that it came to light that we CHOSE Beinemy over them for whatever reason, especially if they were to go onto the postseason and winning in the playoffs, hell even a SB.

Now if you are right about him then great.  However I don't think you are right.  I don't see a Playoff win.  I see us missing the playoffs next year, many will give him a pass, then we miss again with no real improvement, many will give him a pass, because he doesn't have his QB.  Dalton leaves in FA, he drafts his guy, miss the playoffs, many will give him a pass due to having a rookie QB.  Then we miss the playoffs and many will give him a pass saying his QB is just young.  Then we miss the playoffs again and then people will start calling for his removal.

He will get 4 years from many fans and a pass on being a failure, which will be infuriating to me due to calling him out NOW and not after the fact.

Sure Taylor or Monken could fail.  However I get the feeling that with the talent on this team, the odds are that we will actually make the playoffs NEXT year and if not then definitely the following year.  Failing both of those years, no one would be giving them a pass (except maybe the organization).

I get the feeling that with Monken and Taylor the success would be legit them building it.  With Beinemy, any success would be in spite of him and not because of him.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 10:00 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: If Lap was saying lazor  and Simmons  are basically at the top of their list, I believe it. And I won’t lie, I’m going to be pissed.

So far!
Hopefully one of the interviewees jumps to the top.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote