Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tomlin Getting His Team Fired Up
As much as I hate the Steelers, I'm jealous that they have a coach that coaches with emotion.

Just before half in this Monday Night game, he had his defense circled around him and was telling them to just tackle better.

He wasn't yelling or anything and didn't look angry, but you could tell he was speaking with urgency and was saying "this is what NEEDS to happen."

I don't ever remember Marvin taking aside an entire group like that and just giving motivation without even having to be overly intense.

I think Marvin is definitely gone after this season but will we even be able to get a guy that coaches with any conviction or emotion?
Reply/Quote
And then they gave up a touchdown on the very next play.
Reply/Quote
Rah rah aspect is way overrated. Competence and respect of your players are key, IMO.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
Although they scored the next play, I completely agree with you and I thought the same thing.
Season ticket holder since 2003. Lifetime Bengals fan, through thick and thin.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 12:39 AM)Utts Wrote: Rah rah aspect is way overrated. Competence and respect of your players are key, IMO.

Looks like the rah rah aspect worked as Tomlin shows he is a great coach.
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
steelers also draft EVERY SINGLE PLAYER i wish the Bengals would take....its unreal..

Too many (in the 10s) last 10 drafts? i wished the Bengals would have selected a player, the Steelers do.... EVERY DAMN TIME.
Reply/Quote
Tomlin is one of the most overrated coaches in the NFL. He fell into the Steelers job where Cowher had him set up.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 09:43 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Tomlin is one of the most overrated coaches in the NFL.   He fell into the Steelers job where Cowher had him set up.

And 10 years later he's still getting his team a first round bye in the playoffs.... Wow, Cowher must have set him up really well.  Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 09:43 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Tomlin is one of the most overrated coaches in the NFL. He fell into the Steelers job where Cowher had him set up.

Idiotic statement, the team roster as well as the coordinators with the exception of the rapist QB have changed and they STILL win. Your bias is showing.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 10:14 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: And 10 years later he's still getting his team a first round bye in the playoffs.... Wow, Cowher must have set him up really well.  Ninja

(12-11-2017, 11:33 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: Idiotic statement, the team roster as well as the coordinators with the exception of the rapist QB have changed and they STILL win. Your bias is showing.

Without Ben they are done. They become average once Ben calls it quits. Plus Bell is most likely gone as well.

And Butler was a Cowher guy. He hired Haley.....

He is terrible at game management. The only difference between him and Marvin has been he has had an elite qb his whole run as coach. And walked into a playoff roster.

Btw almost the exact same deal whoever the next Bengals coach is walking into.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:58 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Without Ben they are done.  They become average once Ben calls it quits. Plus Bell is most likely gone as well.    

And Butler was a Cowher guy.   He hired Haley.....  

He is terrible at game management.   The only difference between him and Marvin has been he has had an elite qb his whole run as coach.   And walked into a playoff roster.    

Btw almost the exact same deal whoever the next Bengals coach is walking into.

Again, your logic is flawed. You can also say without Ben, Cowher does not win a ring. The person in common is Ben. Bell is a Tomlin guy, not Cowher. As well as AB, as well as their Offensive Coordinator. 

Lol, Tomlin walked into an 8-8 team and how long is your biased excuse is going to last about a playoff roster???

Tomlin can God forbid, win the next 3 SB's and your biased excuse will be because of Cowher.

If you were a true Bengal fan, which you are not, you would never forgive Cowher for this...

Cowher is a jerk and is the one overrated. And your sticking up for this arse is striking. Clearly, you are biased.
You can criticize Tomlin, which is fair, true Bengal fans would agree with that, but NOT by elevating another Steeler coach.  
Reply/Quote
For starters, the stoolers don't allow a jackoff like Paul Alexander to remain on staff for 2 1/2 decades.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 11:11 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Again, your logic is flawed. You can also say without Ben, Cowher does not win a ring. The person in common is Ben. Bell is a Tomlin guy, not Cowher. As well as AB, as well as their Offensive Coordinator. 

Lol, Tomlin walked into an 8-8 team and how long is your biased excuse is going to last about a playoff roster???

Tomlin can God forbid, win the next 3 SB's and your biased excuse will be because of Cowher.

If you were a true Bengal fan, which you are not, you would never forgive Cowher for this...

Cowher is a jerk and is the one overrated. And your sticking up for this arse is striking. Clearly, you are biased.
You can criticize Tomlin, which is fair, true Bengal fans would agree with that, but NOT by elevating another Steeler coach.  

Bell will be gone next year. Someone will pay him top dollar.

I don’t like Cowher, but I can respect the program he built. He made the Steelers of this era. Tomlin was a nobody who walked into a set up job with coordinators in place. I wonder what would have happened had Tomlin taken over the Browns, or some other regular losing franchise.

I know who Mike Tomlin is and what he isn’t.... my level of Bengal fandom is irrelevant
Reply/Quote
Hate steelers including Ben now.

Do not hate Tomlin and think he is a solid coach but think Ben is the one motivating and leading team as well.

Like I said, hate Ben yet my heart was ripped out of my chest when he fell to steelers in draft.

Thought he was incredible in college and was really wanting to follow his career in NFL and then he was drafted by them.

But then got to know and hate him for not only being a steeler but for just being Ben.

Still he is the one that drives this bus and makes the players believe they always have a chance.

Despise him though.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 01:45 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Hate steelers including Ben now.

Do not hate Tomlin and think he is a solid coach but think Ben is the one motivating and leading team as well.

Like I said, hate Ben yet my heart was ripped out of my chest when he fell to steelers in draft.

Thought he was incredible in college and was really wanting to follow his career in NFL and then he was drafted by them.

But then got to know and hate him for not only being a steeler but for just being Ben.

Still he is the one that drives this bus and makes the players believe they always have a chance.

Despise him though.

So if you say Ben is the key for Tomlin's team, he was the key for Cowher's team as well. By the way whose more a motivator for the defense Ben or Tomlin? 
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 01:59 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: So if you say Ben is the key for Tomlin's team, he was the key for Cowher's team as well. By the way whose more a motivator for the defense Ben or Tomlin? 

They seem to be losing most games I have seen and offense has to come from behind and win this year. 

Heck the Bengals shredded that defense and we are horrid. 

But to answer your question, the refs seem to help that defense a lot more than anything else. See AJ's TD called back on phantom hold that won the game for them.

Like I said, like Tomlin and hate Ben. Just what I see, Ben is basally a coach on the field.  

Hate Cowher so not even talking about that quitter.  

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Not a big fan of how many steeler threads are now on board either.

But Bengals suck so it is what it is.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 02:09 AM)Go Cards Wrote: They seem to be losing most games I have seen and offense has to come from behind and win this year. 

Heck the Bengals shredded that defense and we are horrid. 

But to answer your question, the refs seem to help that defense a lot more than anything else. See AJ's TD called back on phantom hold that won the game for them.

Like I said, like Tomlin and hate Ben. Just what I see, Ben is basally a coach on the field.  

Hate Cowher so not even talking about that quitter.  
Making the necessary adjustments and changes based on what the other team is doing to consistently win games is pretty much one of the very definitions of good coaching. Not to mention cultivating a "we're never out of it no matter what" attitude of the entire team. Again, that's on Tomlin. 

Everyone seems to (conveniently) forget the Steelers also had a TD called back on a call more phantom than ours (according to the announcers). So AJ's TD call did not win the game for them. 

Cowher a quitter? He was extremely successful, led the team to Superbowl win and had nothing left to prove, had 2 daughters entering college and a wife diagnosed with terminal cancer (she died).  Maybe that's being a quitter to you, I would've done the exact same thing.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 11:17 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Bell will be gone next year.   Someone will pay him top dollar.  

I don’t like Cowher, but I can respect the program he built.   He made the Steelers of this era.     Tomlin was a nobody who walked into a set up job with coordinators in place.      I wonder what would have happened had Tomlin taken over the Browns, or some other regular losing franchise.

I know who Mike Tomlin is and what he isn’t....   my level of Bengal fandom is irrelevant

1. Tomlin was in two SB's without Bell and wonone of them.
2. How can you respect the thug Cowher and his program???
3. Of this era, Stealers have played the same throughout there era.
4. Tomlin does not have the same coordinators and he still wins and the coordinators that left are not doing as well.
5. Tomlin took over a 8-8 squad.

Tomlin >> Cowher 

And I don't like either of them, but I can never forgive Cowher for his WeDay chant.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 10:14 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: And 10 years later he's still getting his team a first round bye in the playoffs.... Wow, Cowher must have set him up really well.  Ninja

He is a solid coach.. not great, also if he does not make the playoffs in 2014 he probably would have been replaced.. but again you can;t argue with his success but I don;t put him down yet as a great coach especially if they don;t get to the Super Bowl this year.. the last 4 years they have been one of the favorites to make it to Super Bowl and have not.. but he is a  good coach 
Reply/Quote