Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tomlin Quote on Ja'Marr Chase
In a recent interview on SI.com:

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin says NFL teams have adjusted to the Joe Burrow to Chase connection.

"Plays on tape," Tomlin said on Tuesday. "You get plays on tape, people recognize your talents, they make necessary adjustments and efforts to minimize their talents. Everyone's a professional, it's a component of the game. It seems like every year there's a young talented wide receiver that takes the league by storm in September. And that's not downplaying any of the significance of what Chase has done, it just happens every year. Like 'OK, that speed is real.'"

I know this isn't really bulletin board material, but I noticed Ja'Marr Chase has 867 yards through 10 games (!), so a 133 yard game (that BGSU math), would put him at 1,000 for the year. Wouldn't that be amazing? I almost think Tomlin is trying to bait Burrow and he will have Minkah Fitzpatrick double Chase, but nonetheless, I wanted to point out the quote and how close Chase is to hitting 1,000.

Tyler Boyd is a huge steeler-hater (making that up) but he does seem to really want to always give it to them, since he grew up outside pitt and has a lot of ties to that area.

I bet this one is going to be a slobber-knocker (thank you, Lap) and both teams will try to grind it out with high % passes and running game. Looks like 40 degrees and dry for the game. Perfect football weather.

No excuses, pittsburgh. You will supposedly have Watt, Minkah, and Johnson all healthy for this game. I am really surprised that Vegas has the Bengals favored by 5.5, but I do believe they will come out with a win.

Who Dey
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Chase is also already only 2 TD’s shy of double digits. IIRC we haven’t had a WR score 10 or more in a season since AJ did it in 2015.

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2021, 11:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: In a recent interview on SI.com:

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin says NFL teams have adjusted to the Joe Burrow to Chase connection.  

"Plays on tape," Tomlin said on Tuesday. "You get plays on tape, people recognize your talents, they make necessary adjustments and efforts to minimize their talents. Everyone's a professional, it's a component of the game. It seems like every year there's a young talented wide receiver that takes the league by storm in September. And that's not downplaying any of the significance of what Chase has done, it just happens every year. Like 'OK, that speed is real.'"

I know this isn't really bulletin board material, but I noticed Ja'Marr Chase has 867 yards through 10 games (!), so a 133 yard game (that BGSU math), would put him at 1,000 for the year.  Wouldn't that be amazing?  I almost think Tomlin is trying to bait Burrow and he will have Minkah Fitzpatrick double Chase, but nonetheless, I wanted to point out the quote and how close Chase is to hitting 1,000.

Tyler Boyd is a huge steeler-hater (making that up) but he does seem to really want to always give it to them, since he grew up outside pitt and has a lot of ties to that area.

I bet this one is going to be a slobber-knocker (thank you, Lap) and both teams will try to grind it out with high % passes and running game. Looks like 40 degrees and dry for the game.  Perfect football weather.  

No excuses, pittsburgh.  You will supposedly have Watt, Minkah, and Johnson all healthy for this game.  I am really surprised that Vegas has the Bengals favored by 5.5, but I do believe they will come out with a win.

Who Dey

Tomlin speaks the truth, Chase has slowed down September. But his slow down is better than nay WR the Steelers trot out there. Johnson and Claypool are good receivers, the TE is good as well. Harris is a very good RB at the goal line and great catching passes.

The key will be turnovers and which team can protect their QB and control the LOS on both sides of the ball. I am not sure the last time we knocked the Steelers off 2 times in the regular season, but sure be a great win if we can.

I can see us using Evans a little more out of the back field. The Steelers are a lot healthier this time around so will be a tough test.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2021, 11:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chase is also already only 2 TD’s shy of double digits. IIRC we haven’t had a WR score 10 or more in a season since AJ did it in 2015.

One TD short of tying Eddie Brown's rookie record of 9 and I think about 500 yards of Chad's club record for yards.  
Reply/Quote
Well time to light that tripping coach up ja'marr
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2021, 12:17 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I can see us We should be using Evans a little more out of the back field.

^This
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Chase was on fire but last three games he has for sure cooled on yards, averaging under 40 a game and just 4 catches a game.. i think it is too early to tie this in to team adjustments but if he has 2 to 3 more subpar games, I think you could start to connect it to adjustments
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2021, 12:39 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: One TD short of tying Eddie Brown's rookie record of 9 and I think about 500 yards of Chad's club record for yards.  

AJ has the record with 1,057 yards/

2011*
CIN WR 18 15 15 115 65 1057 16.3 7 40 58 4.3 70.5 56.5% 9.2 5 53 0 3 22 10.6 3.5 0.3 70 15.9 1110 7 1 10

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GreeA.00.htm

Curtis has the rookie TD record, with 9 (unless there was another WR that I missed)

1973*
CIN WR 85 14 14 45 843 18.7 9 77 3.2 60.2 2 -11 0 1 -5.5 -0.8 0.1 47 17.7 832 9 0 12

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CurtIs00.htm
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2021, 12:39 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: One TD short of tying Eddie Brown's rookie record of 9 and I think about 500 yards of Chad's club record for yards.  

Curtis had 9 in just 14 games
Reply/Quote
Nothing but facts by Tomlin, who's been in Pittsburgh probably longer than Chase has played football. Nothing to see here.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
In a different quote Tomlin noted that Chase's drop in numbers the past few weeks is really just a sign of the respect he's earned around the league.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Chase has had some drops recently,which also hurt his numbers.For some reason,I just have a feeling that Burrow and Chase are going to get back on track and get some big plays Sunday.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2021, 05:29 PM)jason Wrote: In a different quote Tomlin noted that Chase's drop in numbers the past few weeks is really just a sign of the respect he's earned around the league.

Tomlin is a wise man.  Ninja
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2021, 12:17 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am not sure the last time we knocked the Steelers off 2 times in the regular season, but sure be a great win if we can.

2009 - I was there.

Reply/Quote

I know this isn't really bulletin board material, but I noticed Ja'Marr Chase has 867 yards through 10 games (!), so a 133 yard game (that BGSU math), would put him at 1,000 for the year. Wouldn't that be amazing? I almost think Tomlin is trying to bait Burrow and he will have Minkah Fitzpatrick double Chase, but nonetheless, I wanted to point out the quote and how close Chase is to hitting 1,000.

I bet this one is going to be a slobber-knocker (thank you, Lap) and both teams will try to grind it out with high % passes and running game. Looks like 40 degrees and dry for the game. Perfect football weather.

No excuses, pittsburgh. You will supposedly have Watt, Minkah, and Johnson all healthy for this game. I am really surprised that Vegas has the Bengals favored by 5.5, but I do believe they will come out with a win.

Who Dey

BGSU math…you did this with your shoes on? Impossible for BGSU math…..go Rockets!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2021, 07:18 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: BGSU math…you did this with your shoes on? Impossible for BGSU math…..go Rockets!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh shit!!! Some MAC smack talk just broke out.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
One way to shut that mouth.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote

I know this isn't really bulletin board material, but I noticed Ja'Marr Chase has 867 yards through 10 games (!), so a 133 yard game (that BGSU math), would put him at 1,000 for the year.  Wouldn't that be amazing?  I almost think Tomlin is trying to bait Burrow and he will have Minkah Fitzpatrick double Chase, but nonetheless, I wanted to point out the quote and how close Chase is to hitting 1,000.

I bet this one is going to be a slobber-knocker (thank you, Lap) and both teams will try to grind it out with high % passes and running game. Looks like 40 degrees and dry for the game.  Perfect football weather.  

No excuses, pittsburgh.  You will supposedly have Watt, Minkah, and Johnson all healthy for this game.  I am really surprised that Vegas has the Bengals favored by 5.5, but I do believe they will come out with a win.

Who Dey

Agree that Tomlin is baiting Burrow to try and force the ball to Chase instead of spreading it around. 

But do think Chase will use it as bulletin board material personally. 

Chase has more class, but if I were him and had a big game and Bengals win handily again ?  Would make a comment on how Tomlin doesn't seem to be quite the coach he once was but that's just how this league rolls when they adjust what you're doing. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2021, 09:05 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree that Tomlin is baiting Burrow to try and force it to Chase instead of spreading it around. 

But do think Chase will use it as bulletin board material personally. 

Chase has more class, but if I were him and had a big game and Bengals win handily again ?  Would make a comment on how Tomlin doesn't seem to be quite the coach he once was but that's just how this league rolls when they adjust what you're doing. 

So turn non-bulletin board material into getting your head caved in twice a year for the next 5-10 years.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I think Tomlin is speaking a lot of truth here. The league adjusts to players and it is on those players to make another adjustment. That is what makes the greatest, so great. They just overcome and adjust.

This isn't an anti Chase statement it is just an honest observation. The NFL is forcing him to do something he has never had to do in his life. Top college recruits just dominated high school and never had to change their game, they were just better than everyone. He had one season in college where he broke out with tons of talent on the team and never had to make adjustments to his game. Now, he is going to have to do it for the first time as the league has film and it appears a strategy.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote