Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Tony Romo
The Bengals have Tony Romo again on Sunday in KC, I believe. He's really starting to annoy me (we are stuck with "Chase is on the case" whenever we re-watch one of Ja'Marr's great runs), but to each his own.

But here is a whole article titled, "Ex-NFL star Tony Romo Faces Scrutiny over Bills Bengals Call." It outlines a whole series of quizzical statements he made during the game.

One person summed it up: "Tony Romo is the college kid who didn’t crack a book all semester but his sure-fire oral exam strategy is to smother the professor with enthusiasm, charm, bluster and every possible answer."

This person kind of sums up my own view: "Tony Romo in the booth was kind of fun at first, but now I just can't stand to listen to him. We don't need an extensive coaching lesson after every single play"

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ex-nfl-star-tony-romo-faces-scrutiny-bills-bengals-call
Reply/Quote
I like Tony in the booth. He’s definitely a dork, but I don’t mind that. Does get a little cringey from time to time I will admit.

The coaching lessons after every play is pretty much his job and he’s very knowledgeable. Not sure why anyone would complain about that part.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 04:31 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I like Tony in the booth. He’s definitely a dork, but I don’t mind that. Does get a little cringey from time to time I will admit.

The coaching lessons after every play is pretty much his job and he’s very knowledgeable. Not sure why anyone would complain about that part.

It's especially weird to complain about it since that's exactly what everyone has said they loved that, and wish he would just come off as being more impartial and stop drooling over other teams.  

But I'm trying to figure out around here who actually likes any of the announcers.  Seems every week it's a new complaint thread over whoever is calling the game.
Reply/Quote
I liked him, now I can't stand him.

His analysis is lazy and he has his favorites and biases. He just comes off sloppy to me.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
When I first heard him call a game, I, like the rest of America, loved his play breakdowns and his ability to damn near tell exactly what was going to be run before it happened. Then when I started to hear him call Bengals games, it all went downhill. His ability to gush over anything and anyone not-Bengals drove me to the point where anything he says just annoys the crap out of me.

I don't know how many times during the Bills game I said out loud that Romo needs to take off his Josh Allen kneepads and shut the eff up - now we get to experience it back-to-back weekends, this time with Mahomes.

I've never tuned into Hoard and Lapham for a game, is it worth it? I love Lap, but just hearing his grunts in the background of mic'd up videos makes me question if I could listen to him for 3 hours.
Reply/Quote
(This is not directed at any individual person on this board)

The Tony Romo hate i've seen on the internet the past week is absolutely absurd. Dude is hands down the best color commentator we've had as NFL fans in at least a decade. He's turned up the fanboi attitude a ton this year but he's still above and beyond better than the other options.

You want Tiki Barber or Jay Feely?...good luck with that. Give me Romo.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
Pity the Bengals can't get their own special announcing team for home games - say Dave Lapham and Kay Adams...
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 04:40 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I liked him, now I can't stand him.

His analysis is lazy and he has his favorites and biases. He just comes off sloppy to me.

There's definitely a noticeable difference with him this year.  I bet when he has the chance to digest the feedback and review the season he makes some adjustments and tones down the fanboi rhetoric.   At least i hope he does.  
Reply/Quote
When there is a replay and Tony Romo analyzes what took place, I enjoy that a lot.

When he talks over the play-by-play announcer, he is really annoying. And he just speaks way too much. The teams will be lining up for a pivotal play, the tension is there, and Tony Romo starts throwing out a lot of blather. Like when there was tension in last year's KC game, with KC driving for what might be the winning TD, and Romo starts throwing out scenarios and then correcting himself ("The Bengals should let them score. But maybe not, Maybe..") Its very distracting from the tension of the moment. Just talks way too much.

I fully expect that if he'd been in the booth on Hubbard's run, he would have throw out some quip and ruined the moment. Like he did with "Chase is on the case."

Just analyze plays. That's what he's there for and what he does well. All the other talk is just blather.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 04:46 PM)basballguy Wrote: There's definitely a noticeable difference with him this year.  I bet when he has the chance to digest the feedback and review the season he makes some adjustments and tones down the fanboi rhetoric.   At least i hope he does.  

I just wish he were a bit more ojective at times and took things a bit more serious. It's like he got the bag last year and is just coasting now. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 04:43 PM)basballguy Wrote: (This is not directed at any individual person on this board)

The Tony Romo hate i've seen on the internet the past week is absolutely absurd.  Dude is hands down the best color commentator we've had as NFL fans in at least a decade.  He's turned up the fanboi attitude a ton this year but he's still above and beyond better than the other options.

You want Tiki Barber or Jay Feely?...good luck with that.  Give me Romo.

Is there someone better? I don't know. I do like Collinsworth, but I know many don't. 

Romo has the tools to do analysis, if someone can just get him to cut down on feeling he needs to talk so much. There are some in the college ranks that are easy to listen to, but they don't have Romo's pedigree.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 04:49 PM)Nepa Wrote: I fully expect that if he'd been in the booth on Hubbard's run, he would have throw out some quip and ruined the moment. Like he did with "Chase is on the case."

Just analyze plays. That's what he's there for and what he does well. All the other talk is just blather.

"He had them in a blender and lost it" or whatever it was....wasn't Romo that said that.  They all say stupid things because they're trying to spice up commentary.  I think he says stupid things sometimes but I thoroughly enjoy his analysis and energy.  He's a true fan of the sport.  

Have you never heard Gus Johnson call a game before (NCAAF and NCAAB)?  There's others out there that what to be known as "that guy that said that thing"....it's just part of the broadcast.  

It's just really hot to hate on Romo right now.  :)
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 04:49 PM)Nepa Wrote: When there is a replay and Tony Romo analyzes what took place, I enjoy that a lot.

When he talks over the play-by-play announcer, he is really annoying. And he just speaks way too much. The teams will be lining up for a pivotal play, the tension is there, and Tony  Romo starts throwing out a lot of blather. Like when there was tension in last year's KC game, with KC driving for what might be the winning TD, and Romo starts throwing out scenarios and then correcting himself ("The Bengals should let them score. But maybe not, Maybe..") Its very distracting from the tension of the moment. Just talks way too much.

I fully expect that if he'd been in the booth on Hubbard's run, he would have throw out some quip and ruined the moment. Like he did with "Chase is on the case."

Agreed. This is the issue for me. Play analysis is great, but he can't stop running his mouth in general. Nantz has to fight to get a word in.
Reply/Quote
I enjoyed him at first. I don’t dislike him, he’s knowledgeable enough. And while he does go all-out fanboy for his favorite teams / QBs I will say this past game he did give Burrow a ton of love. He may need to seek a doctor if “it lasts longer than four hours” this weekend what with Burrow AND Mahomes playing.
Reply/Quote
Just leave Tony alone.He’s an incredible analyst.He’s not perfect,but who is? Cut the guy some slack.People are so thin skinned,(SENSITIVE) nowadays.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 04:54 PM)Nepa Wrote: Is there someone better? I don't know. I do like Collinsworth, but I know many don't. 

Romo has the tools to do analysis, if someone can just get him to cut down on feeling he needs to talk so much. There are some in the college ranks that are easy to listen to, but they don't have Romo's pedigree.

Haha I like Collinsworth too.  Though, honestly, when I'm watching the game i'm hardly ever paying attention to what the guys say unless it's a pivotal play and my eyes need help from my ears on WTF i just saw.  
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 04:56 PM)basballguy Wrote: ****

I notice your signature has a crossed out "Only Bengals fan to never set foot in Cincinnati" and replaced it with 1-15-22. Were you there for the Bengals playoff game against the Raiders?
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 05:00 PM)Nepa Wrote: I notice your signature has a crossed out "Only Bengals fan to never set foot in Cincinnati" and replace it with 1-15-22. Were you there for the Bengals playoff game against the Raiders?

Haha ya my first home game..never even set foot in Cincinnati before that (Thanks military life).  Been to plenty of road games but never a home one.  Family is rooted in Dayton/Fairborn.  Spent 25 years in Dallas so maybe i'm a little sensitive on the Romo hate :)
Reply/Quote
Last time Tony called our Playoff game we Won...

So Im happy hes back.. Plus its on CBS so i can watch it in my game room
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 04:36 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: It's especially weird to complain about it since that's exactly what everyone has said they loved that, and wish he would just come off as being more impartial and stop drooling over other teams.  

But I'm trying to figure out around here who actually likes any of the announcers.  Seems every week it's a new complaint thread over whoever is calling the game.

Romo, as Basballguy said, is indeed the best colour guy in the business and probably the only close person is Collinsworth.

Herbstreit is great on the analysis, not the greatest speaker (which is weird, 'cause he's been doing this forever), Greg Olsen has been great and James Lofton has come a long way from 2017, when he was absolutely dreadful. Robert Smith is not bad at all either, but he's on Fox's lowest team, so he doesn't get a lot of action each year (we had him for... the Falcons, IIRC).

However, Charles Davis, Mark Schlereth, Vilma, Barber, Feely (stay on the sidelines), Matt Millen, Mark Sanchez, all suck and are awful. I don't know why Davis is on the #2 team, he's dreadfully wrong all the time, he doesn't know his teams and he hates the Bengals (he's the only Bengal hater that's really, truly bad).

Everyone else has their good and bad days and are just whatever (Trent Green, Archuleta, Moose, etc.)
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote