Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too Much TE?
(04-30-2024, 10:17 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Why would anyone claim McLachlan?  The guy wasn't picked until midway through the 6th round so he was not highly valued by anyone.  Now some team is going to sign him to their 53 man roster? 
They don't have to claim/sign him to their 53. Before we can sign anyone to our PS they must be cut and then choose to sign to the PS. Another team could simply give Mc more money to sign on their PS. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Gesicki will be our starting TE, most likely lining up in the slot and out wide. Sample will be a blocker/FB. Hudson will get his snaps as well. All will most likely be on the IR/PUP list. McLachlan will probably start the season at TE 4, like Wilcox did, and either be inactive or strictly on ST this year. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I have no idea, but it seems there is going to be some new offensive scheming with TE. We all hope it's the Gesicki of 2022 for us, the man just needs targets. Let Sample do what he does best and clear the way. #3 will probably depend on the preseason between Hudson and McLachlan, but the early edge to Hudson.

I think we'd all just love consistent production from the position and hopefully McLachlan can be developed into a long-term solution.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 12:38 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Gesicki will be our starting TE, most likely lining up in the slot and out wide. Sample will be a blocker/FB. Hudson will get his snaps as well. All will most likely be on the IR/PUP list. McLachlan will probably start the season at TE 4, like Wilcox did, and either be inactive or strictly on ST this year. 

It is a long year. TE's do get hurt so in the end having 5 TE's available throughout the 2024 season is a good problem. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Drew, All, Hudson and Tanner is a good TE room to me. And i didn’t even add our starter. Especially seeing they well likely call more 2TE sets with Boyd gone. I have to assume if we keep 4(my guess), Tanner is the odd man out. Not Tanner Hudson either. The rookie is likely odd man out unless he beats out Tanner and i would be impressed at that

Either way Tanner may be the odd man out talent wise but i could absolutely see the Bengals wanting a draft pick to make the roster over a vet. So rookie Tanner is likely making the team

I mean…no way we’d keep 5 TEs and 2-3 RB right?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 09:59 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It is a long year. TE's do get hurt so in the end having 5 TE's available throughout the 2024 season is a good problem. 

Having extra TEs might seem like a nice thing, until you realize that you can't keep them all shielded on the roster. Other teams' players get injured as well, as soon as you try to hide one with good potential on the PS they may get signed away.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 04:58 AM)IcoHolic Wrote: I have no idea, but it seems there is going to be some new offensive scheming with TE. We all hope it's the Gesicki of 2022 for us, the man just needs targets. Let Sample do what he does best and clear the way. #3 will probably depend on the preseason between Hudson and McLachlan, but the early edge to Hudson.

I think we'd all just love consistent production from the position and hopefully McLachlan can be developed into a long-term solution.

I also see Gesicki in the role of H back in the backfield on some passing downs. Similar to Sample last year.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 06:33 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: Fair...I love his potential. I see Sample as the odd man out eventually

Sample isn't comparable honestly. He is our H-Back/Fullback Tight End and expect him to be used in the backfield with Burrow a ton
this year. Sample just got a 3 year deal and he is by far our best blocking TE and is as good as any blocking TE in the NFL.

Gesicki, Hudson and McLachlan are pass catching TE's, Erick All would be the only TE to compare with Drew Sample on the roster and 
he isn't healthy right now.

(04-30-2024, 08:31 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I wouldn't be so sure.  Hudson is a career PS guy, will turn 30 with a non-guaranteed small contract, and Casey was obviously frustrated with his lack of blocking during the season last year.

McLachlan would be claimed off the PS the same day he was put on it. 

Gesicki lessens the need for Hudson, McLachlan could be Gesicki's replacement in the future.  

All is the complete in-line TE we haven't had for ages.

Yes, Hudson is older and I bet we can put him on the PS if he gets beat out anyways. Not near as valuable as a TE like McLachlan.

Even though now there is a rule change where we can protect certain players on our PS.

(04-30-2024, 08:32 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Sample has a totally different role than all the other TEs, he seems to be a comfort blanket for Zac.  He is one of the best blocking TE's in the NFL.

Truth.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 12:20 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I also see Gesicki in the role of H back in the backfield on some passing downs. Similar to Sample last year.

That's cool to know, I didn't know he had that in his game. I guess I'm used to Kelce.
Reply/Quote
There were quite a few RBs available at the end of the 4th round I might have drafted over All based upon his injury history and need at RB.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2024, 08:46 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: There were quite a few RBs available at the end of the 4th round I might have drafted over All based upon his injury history and need at RB.
He was the 1 pick I wasn't down with, I would have went with Stover. Now , the pick has grown on me, he has a lot of potential.
I do think McLachlan will end up being the better of the 2 still.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2024, 08:46 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: There were quite a few RBs available at the end of the 4th round I might have drafted over All based upon his injury history and need at RB.

pretty sure it's overall 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

I was of the same mind even if I like the All pick better now. The UDFA's leave a lot to be desired after not drafting a RB.

(05-02-2024, 11:47 AM)sandwedge Wrote: He was the 1 pick I wasn't down with, I would have went with Stover. Now , the pick has grown on me, he has a lot of potential.
I do think McLachlan will end up being the better of the 2 still.

Erick All has crazy upside as both a blocker and a pass catcher that is extremely hard to tackle. He could end up being a Kittle type with his 
speed, strength and ability to block and break tackles. Unlike McLachlan who is pretty much just a great pass catching TE. I think IF Erick All
can get healthy and stay healthy he will be the better overall TE...

Overall lol
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 10:25 AM)Housh Wrote: Drew, All, Hudson and Tanner is a good TE room to me. And i didn’t even add our starter. Especially seeing they well likely call more 2TE sets with Boyd gone. I have to assume if we keep 4(my guess), Tanner is the odd man out. Not Tanner Hudson either. The rookie is likely odd man out unless he beats out Tanner and i would be impressed at that

Either way Tanner may be the odd man out talent wise but i could absolutely see the Bengals wanting a draft pick to make the roster over a vet. So rookie Tanner is likely making the team

I mean…no way we’d keep 5 TEs and 2-3 RB right?

Unless McLachlan is not very good he should beat out Hudson, and Hudson would be less likely to be plucked by another team.  A 30 yr old UDFA, career practice squad player with a grand total of 50 receptions should be the first one out of any NFL TE room.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 10:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They don't have to claim/sign him to their 53. Before we can sign anyone to our PS they must be cut and then choose to sign to the PS. Another team could simply give Mc more money to sign on their PS. 

My response was to casear2727 saying someone would poach him from the Bengals practice squad. If any team gets any player from a practice squad, that player counts as a spot on the 53 man roster for a minimum of 3 weeks to the team that signs him. You cant sign a practice squad player to another practice squad.

If the Bengals release McLachlan and another team claims him before he can make it to the Bengals practice squad that team must put him on their 53 man roster. If they dont put him on the 53 man roster, they too have to waive him. They cant just claim him and put him on their own practice squad. McLachlan is not a vested veteran. The only way McLachlan goes to any practice squad is he has to clear waivers, otherwise he is on someone's 53 man roster. I doubt too many teams are clamoring for a 6th round pick everyone passed on to have a spot on their 53 man roster. I just dont see it.

Could McLachlan clear waivers but then decide he wants be on someone else's practice squad? Yes but the Bengals could turn around and poach him and put him on the Bengals 53 man roster if they thought he was worth it.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 12:24 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: My response was to casear2727 saying someone would poach him from the Bengals practice squad.  If any team gets any player from a practice squad, that player counts as a spot on the 53 man roster for a minimum of 3 weeks to the team that signs him.  You cant sign a practice squad player to another practice squad.  

If the Bengals release McLachlan and another team claims him before he can make it to the Bengals practice squad that team must put him on their 53 man roster.  If they dont put him on the 53 man roster, they too have to waive him.  They cant just claim him and put him on their own practice squad.  McLachlan is not a vested veteran.  The only way McLachlan goes to any practice squad is he has to clear waivers, otherwise he is on someone's 53 man roster.  I doubt too many teams are clamoring for a 6th round pick everyone passed on to have a spot on their 53 man roster.  I just dont see it.

Could McLachlan clear waivers but then decide he wants be on someone else's practice squad?  Yes but the Bengals could turn around and poach him and put him on the Bengals 53 man roster if they thought he was worth it.

It is dumb to suggest that a 6th Rounder with McLachlan's background & ability could never be poached off of our practice squad.  Just last year the Seahawks poached an undrafted TE rookie off of the Eagles practice squad.  Im not sure why I even respond to these bad take after bad take posts....

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 12:47 AM)casear2727 Wrote: It is dumb to suggest that a 6th Rounder with McLachlan's background & ability could never be poached off of our practice squad.  Just last year the Seahawks poached an undrafted TE rookie off of the Eagles practice squad.  Im not sure why I even respond to these bad take after bad take posts....

Im not saying he could never be poached.  If he balls out in preseason he could certainly catch some teams eye.  As of right now though, he is a rookie that hasnt shown anything at the NFL level and he was not drafted until the middle of the 6th round.  Im not sure why some of you guys think there is this great demand for McLachlan when all the NFL told you what they think of him when he was passed over many times.  If McLachlan was as highly valued as much as you claim, wouldnt some team have taken him before the Bengals?  and if the Bengals dont draft him in the 6th, how far does he fall or is he even drafted at all?
Reply/Quote

I was shocked that we didn't draft a RB. The team seems to be over Chris Evans, but he seems to have a grasp on RB4 and he's one injury away from getting some decent snaps.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 12:57 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Im not saying he could never be poached.  If he balls out in preseason he could certainly catch some teams eye.  As of right now though, he is a rookie that hasnt shown anything at the NFL level and he was not drafted until the middle of the 6th round.  Im not sure why some of you guys think there is this great demand for McLachlan when all the NFL told you what they think of him when he was passed over many times.  If McLachlan was as highly valued as much as you claim, wouldnt some team have taken him before the Bengals?  and if the Bengals dont draft him in the 6th, how far does he fall or is he even drafted at all?

His history and age pushed him down the boards.  You obviously know very little about the guy, yet you continue to argue this point.  Your entire premise is so bad that it reeks of a fan who started to seriously watch the NFL when Burrow was drafted.  Get a few more drafts in you and you might see things differently.

Daniel Jeremiah had him as his #68 player.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10118857-daniel-jeremiah-ranks-best-prospects-available-on-big-board-for-2024-nfl-draft-day-3

Matt Miller had him as one of the Top 100 best picks in the draft.
The next highest selection on his list for Cincinnati was actually sixth-round selection TE Tanner McLachlan out of Arizona who made it at No. 63. Here's why Miller chose him over fellow rookie TE Erick All:

Quote:The Bengals used two picks on Day 3 at the tight end position, and both could be listed here -- but I'll go with McLachlan over Erick All as the better pick. He is a throwback with excellent toughness and an ability to find soft zones and sink into them. Quarterback Joe Burrow is going to love having a reliable target like him over the middle.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/40056466/2024-nfl-draft-ranking-top-100-picks-best-steals-team-fits-trades

Reply/Quote
So Sample in the backfield. Gesicki, All, McLachlan, and Hudson out wide. Zac will be running jumbo shotgun on 4th and inches.?
Reply/Quote