Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too Much TE?
(05-03-2024, 07:43 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Could depend on Burton.  If he hits the ground as an exceptional player Zac will stick to 3-wide.  He has said numerous times that the 3 WRs he had were our best players/options on offense so we were going to play them. 

Also, how are they playing Gesicki?  Is he actually a slot receiver much more so than a traditional TE?

If All is not healthy, Sample is still the only blocking TE.   Burton, All, and McLachlan could all take time to adjust and develop.

It will be interesting to see how Zac and Pitcher design the offense for sure. 

FWIW, Hudson did ok blocking last year in limited snaps.
Sample and Wilcox were just better.

I have to think they might have Hudson block more this season if All is not active, especially as TE3/4.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2024, 10:30 AM)ochocincos Wrote: FWIW, Hudson did ok blocking last year in limited snaps.
Sample and Wilcox were just better.

I have to think they might have Hudson block more this season if All is not active, especially as TE3/4.

According to his coach he is not a good or willing blocker, at least he was not at the level Casey expected at a certain point during last season.  James Casey was surprisingly blunt regarding Hudson during the interview in which he made the comments.  It may have been on Lapham's show. 

It will be interesting to see how the TE room shakes out. 

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2024, 04:06 PM)casear2727 Wrote: According to his coach he is not a good or willing blocker, at least he was not at the level Casey expected at a certain point during last season.  James Casey was surprisingly blunt regarding Hudson during the interview in which he made the comments.  It may have been on Lapham's show. 

It will be interesting to see how the TE room shakes out. 

Can you find the link to the coach making these comments about Hudson's blocking?
I had not heard, but I don't listen to any podcasts. I used to listen to Locked On Bengals, but podcasts are hard to keep up with personally.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2024, 04:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Can you find the link to the coach making these comments about Hudson's blocking?
I had not heard, but I don't listen to any podcasts. I used to listen to Locked On Bengals, but podcasts are hard to keep up with personally.

Like I said, I think it was on one of Lapham's shows if I had to guess.  

Reply/Quote
It's like too much cowbell.

No such thing.

Hope they carry four, with Sample developing into a better dump pass outlet, become the current rosters equivalent of Reggie Kelly.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2024, 04:32 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: It's like too much cowbell.

No such thing.

Hope they carry four, with Sample developing into a better dump pass outlet, become the current rosters equivalent of Reggie Kelly.

It sure made the revolving door at TE not near as much of a thing. Lots of options now.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 04:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All good points, makes us less predictable as well. We will run a ton of 3 wide still I am sure, but I think 2 TE sets will be happening a lot
more now with all these additions, at least once All is healthy and McLachlan gains experience. I like Hudson but I don't think he has a 
chance once All is healthy, McLachlan is the better talent and is younger.

Gesicki this year could have a great year and will be paid by somebody else if this happens.

They are going to use Chase and Gesicki a ton in the slot. They hope Burton is a deep threat. But I’m sure he’s going to have to make teams pay first. I doubt we see Gesicki as a TE unless there are 2 or they go to 01 and use Sample as an HBack. Sample is so good on picking up blitzes. Him protecting and those 4 to cover would be a load.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2024, 04:17 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Like I said, I think it was on one of Lapham's shows if I had to guess.  

I saw that, but I'm not gonna go scrounge around looking for the specific one, if it's even one of his.
If you had the link I would listen.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2024, 09:05 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They are going to use Chase and Gesicki a ton in the slot. They hope Burton is a deep threat. But I’m sure he’s going to have to make teams pay first. I doubt we see Gesicki as a TE unless there are 2 or they go to 01 and use Sample as an HBack. Sample is so good on picking up blitzes. Him protecting and those 4 to cover would be a load.

I personally am all for more 12 personnel.
Bengals used a heavy 11 personnel because of the WRs they had, but now Boyd is gone.
If you got Gesicki who can essentially act as a big slot and get one of Sample, Hudson, or McLachlan some playing time too, that sounds good to me.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I personally don't expect All to play this year. His body's been through the rigor the past few years and they'll take their time getting him up to snuff, especially with McLachlan around. I don't think they were ever planning to onboard two rookies at the same time. I see him as a draft and stash but they won't reveal that for a few months. I guess we'll see.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2024, 09:05 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They are going to use Chase and Gesicki a ton in the slot. They hope Burton is a deep threat. But I’m sure he’s going to have to make teams pay first. I doubt we see Gesicki as a TE unless there are 2 or they go to 01 and use Sample as an HBack. Sample is so good on picking up blitzes. Him protecting and those 4 to cover would be a load.

Sure sounds great. It will definitely be a different look this year which is exciting. Good luck trying to cover both Chase and Gesicki
running around the middle with Burrow and his accuracy. Sample looked buff as heck last year and when he was at H-Back Browning
was hardly touched. You are right, this could be very hard to defend with a healthy Burrow at QB.

(05-07-2024, 10:32 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I personally am all for more 12 personnel.
Bengals used a heavy 11 personnel because of the WRs they had, but now Boyd is gone.
If you got Gesicki who can essentially act as a big slot and get one of Sample, Hudson, or McLachlan some playing time too, that sounds good to me.

Like Pitcher said, they had the most talent at WR and that is why they ran the Offense they did and didn't use the TE's near as much
as they were clearly the least talented of the bunch. Now we have much more talent at the TE position and Gesicki, McLachlan and 
Hudson will be very tough matchups in the passing game. Going to be interesting on how they use these guys.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 12:29 PM)tms Wrote: I personally don't expect All to play this year. His body's been through the rigor the past few years and they'll take their time getting him up to snuff, especially with McLachlan around. I don't think they were ever planning to onboard two rookies at the same time. I see him as a draft and stash but they won't reveal that for a few months. I guess we'll see.

Highly doubt they used a 4th round pick on a guy that they didn't intend to play at all as a rookie. Mellow

But still, Erick All is a talent and with the additions we certainly do not need to hurry him which is nice.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 02:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Highly doubt they used a 4th round pick on a guy that they didn't intend to play at all as a rookie. Mellow

But still, Erick All is a talent and with the additions we certainly do not need to hurry him which is nice.

Bengals could have basically considered Jackson their true 4th rounder since he was 3rd round comp and considered All a luxury gamble and ok if he doesn't actually play as a rookie.
They have made some selections on injured players with the sole intent they rehab their first year and come on board in Year 2, like Jonah.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 05:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals could have basically considered Jackson their true 4th rounder since he was 3rd round comp and considered All a luxury gamble and ok if he doesn't actually play as a rookie.
They have made some selections on injured players with the sole intent they rehab their first year and come on board in Year 2, like Jonah.

True, I do remember tons of interest from us in Erick All before the Draft though, and I don't think we would of had THAT much 
interest if the FO didn't know something about how he is coming around injury wise. I don't like luxury/gamble picks either unless
they actually DO work. This hasn't worked in the past, hope this is different with All.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 10:30 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I saw that, but I'm not gonna go scrounge around looking for the specific one, if it's even one of his.
If you had the link I would listen.

If you aren't going to scrounge around looking for it, why should I?  I already heard it.  

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 06:38 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If you aren't going to scrounge around looking for it, why should I?  I already heard it.  

I was only asking because I thought maybe you remembered what specific podcast it was and may be easily able to get the link.
Sounds like you don't.
I don't expect you to go scrounge for it either, just stating I wasn't going to.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
The good news is Bengals could stash All on IR, the bad news is if they do, he can't practice until he is removed from IR.

My guess right now we will know more if All participates in training camp and preseason. If he is shelved, tough for a rookie TE to play if no camp and no practice learning the offense and getting timing with Joe B.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2024, 11:44 AM)Synric Wrote:

I think Joe B. is related to have Gesicki. He is arguably the best TE pass catching weapon he has had both in college and the NFL. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2024, 12:57 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The good news is Bengals could stash All on IR, the bad news is if they do, he can't practice until he is removed from IR.

My guess right now we will know more if All participates in training camp and preseason. If he is shelved, tough for a rookie TE to play if no camp and no practice learning the offense and getting timing with Joe B.

Agree, All will need time with Joe before he gets playing time and the only way that will happen is in practice and preseason and our 
coach's have shown major reluctancy as of late in playing starters in the preseason.

(05-08-2024, 12:59 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think Joe B. is related to have Gesicki. He is arguably the best TE pass catching weapon he has had both in college and the NFL. 

Elated? Yeah, Gesicki is crazy talented as a pass catcher. Only Dalton had a TE similar with this talent lately as Bengals QB.

Thaddeus Moss couldn't even make our team with Sample as our main TE, Gesicki is on another level for Joe.
Reply/Quote