Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 2nd Round talent
With us picking in the top 10, there is going to be someone with some serious talent fall to us in the 2nd round. With that being said, what are some of the late first/2nd round guys that you guys like? Name your top 5 in order you would like to see in stripes next season. I realize that this will all be dependent on which way we go in the 1st round but this draft is pretty deep for the 1st 3 rounds or so. Here would be my top 5 guys I would like to see in stripes that we can target in the 2nd round:

1. Tim Williams, DE/OLB/ Pass Rusher- Alabama
[Image: hi-res-afb773fd40d11590a3ec8b25cbcace11_...h=433&q=85]
Tim Williams is a top 5 talent but has some off field issues. We took Carlos Dunlap in a similar fashion in the 2nd round a few years back. Williams will need to answer the off the field issues but between the hash marks, he is one of the best pass rushers, if not the best pass rusher in this draft. 

2. Raekwon McMillion, LB- Ohio State 
[Image: 67889_h.jpg?itok=0EeKgdYw]
McMillion is one of the most instinctual linebackers in this draft. He is always around the ball. He may have to come off the field on some passing downs or in nickel defense but after watching years of malaluga and now Dansby get destroyed in the passing game, McMillion is a clear upgrade over both of them. I would like Rueben Foster at 9 but if we don't take a LB in the 1st, McMillion should be our guy if still on the board. 

3. TJ Watt, LB/DE/Pass Rusher- Wisconsin 
[Image: 615526898.0.jpeg]
TJ Watt is an absolute havoc wrecker on a passing game. He has a very first quick step and has nice bend along the edge. Would be more of a situational pass rusher while someone like Margus Hunt or Michael Johnson played the run downs until he adds a little bulk. 

4. JuJu-Smith Schuster, WR- USC 
[Image: C1TmmLWVEAAh8T3.jpg]
JuJu would instantly become a fan favorite for all of the times they would play juju on that beat when he makes a great catch or first down but besides that, the dude can go up and get a football. He is a big play WR and that is exactly what this offense needs. As good of a year that Brandon Lafell had, he isn't the answer for the #2 or #3 WR opposite AJ and Boyd. 

5. Desmond King, CB- Iowa 
[Image: p10DOM-Fball-692x360.jpg]
Desmond King isn't going to go to the combine and wow you with his underwear on, but the kid is a very good cornerback. Think Casey Hayward as a comparison. He has phenomenal ball skills when the ball is in the air and almost turns himself into a WR when playing the ball. He isn't going to blaze a 4.3 or 4.4 40 but if you select king, our nickel CB position is in very good hands for years to come. And now with Pacman getting in trouble, and hopefully his release, we are going to have to go CB at sometime in this draft. a WJIII, Dre k, Dennard, King secondary could form into something really nice over the next few years. 

So let me hear some of the guys you are thinking we should target in the 2nd round. 
Reply/Quote
I think the list is accurate - with the exception of Tim Williams, I'll be surprised if he makes it out of the top 10.

If would love to have JuJu in stripes. He would be an immediate impact player.

As for the 2nd round, I would love to see a Center (Elflien) or a running back.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 12:31 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I think the list is accurate - with the exception of Tim Williams, I'll be surprised if he makes it out of the top 10.

If would love to have JuJu in stripes.  He would be an immediate impact player.

I think the gun charges with Williams will scare a lot of teams off.  He could easily be another Aldon Smith, both on and off the field.  I do think someone rolls the dice on him in the late 1st.  If we don't get a pass rusher at #9, he'd be a guy I'd be tempted to trade up into the late 1st for, though, depending on how well he interiews.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 12:31 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I think the list is accurate - with the exception of Tim Williams, I'll be surprised if he makes it out of the top 10.

If would love to have JuJu in stripes.  He would be an immediate impact player.

As much as I want to agree with you on the Tim Williams front, most thought that Randy Gregory was a top 10 talent from a physical standpoint as well and he slid all the way to pick 60. 

Tim Williams has a lot of questions to answer and if he doesn't knock it out of the park with some clubs they are going to take him off their boards no matter what, much like a Randy Gregory situation. 

I think as of right now he is all over the board until you hear some GM's say how he does in interviews and at the combine. But.......... for our sake, i hope he sucks in interviews and we can get him in the 2nd because talent wise, he could be taken in the 1st at 9 if he didn't have any questions to answer. 
Reply/Quote
Christian McCaffrey.

With Fournette and Cook maybe jumping him and going in the first round we might get a shot at McCaffrey in the 2nd.

Hill might turn it on and actually play hard his contract year. But we shouldnt give him another contract. Would like Burkhead back but the sample size is small and he isnt the most durable. So if we have competition i dont want to overpay.

You dont break Barry Sanders all purpose yards record and then i forget about it. He came back and quitely led the nation in all purpose yards again this year. Bye bye Peerman. Our new special teams ace RB can actually carry the ball and is a big play threat.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 01:27 PM)dr1441 Wrote: As much as I want to agree with you on the Tim Williams front, most thought that Randy Gregory was a top 10 talent from a physical standpoint as well and he slid all the way to pick 60. 

Tim Williams has a lot of questions to answer and if he doesn't knock it out of the park with some clubs they are going to take him off their boards no matter what, much like a Randy Gregory situation. 

I think as of right now he is all over the board until you hear some GM's say how he does in interviews and at the combine. But.......... for our sake, i hope he sucks in interviews and we can get him in the 2nd because talent wise, he could be taken in the 1st at 9 if he didn't have any questions to answer. 

Gregory is a much different case.  From all accounts, Williams hasn't had any issues since the arrest in September.  Gregory failed a drug test at the combine and had some serious mental health issues (depression/bi-polar) that were well documented at the time.

Williams is coming from Alabama and a no-nonsense coach.  I don't see him sliding at all.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 03:36 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Christian McCaffrey.

With Fournette and Cook maybe jumping him and going in the first round we might get a shot at McCaffrey in the 2nd.

Hill might turn it on and actually play hard his contract year. But we shouldnt give him another contract. Would like Burkhead back but the sample size is small and he isnt the most durable.  So if we have competition i dont want to overpay.

You dont break Barry Sanders all purpose yards record and then i forget about it. He came back and quitely led the nation in all purpose yards again this year. Bye bye Peerman. Our new special teams ace RB can actually carry the ball and is a big play threat.

Yeah, I'm even up for trading Hill at this point, or even cutting him in favor of McCaffrey/Cook/Fournette.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 11:18 AM)dr1441 Wrote: With us picking in the top 10, there is going to be someone with some serious talent fall to us in the 2nd round. With that being said, what are some of the late first/2nd round guys that you guys like? Name your top 5 in order you would like to see in stripes next season. I realize that this will all be dependent on which way we go in the 1st round but this draft is pretty deep for the 1st 3 rounds or so. Here would be my top 5 guys I would like to see in stripes that we can target in the 2nd round:

1. Tim Williams, DE/OLB/ Pass Rusher- Alabama
[Image: hi-res-afb773fd40d11590a3ec8b25cbcace11_...h=433&q=85]
Tim Williams is a top 5 talent but has some off field issues. We took Carlos Dunlap in a similar fashion in the 2nd round a few years back. Williams will need to answer the off the field issues but between the hash marks, he is one of the best pass rushers, if not the best pass rusher in this draft. 

2. Raekwon McMillion, LB- Ohio State 
[Image: 67889_h.jpg?itok=0EeKgdYw]
McMillion is one of the most instinctual linebackers in this draft. He is always around the ball. He may have to come off the field on some passing downs or in nickel defense but after watching years of malaluga and now Dansby get destroyed in the passing game, McMillion is a clear upgrade over both of them. I would like Rueben Foster at 9 but if we don't take a LB in the 1st, McMillion should be our guy if still on the board. 

3. TJ Watt, LB/DE/Pass Rusher- Wisconsin 
[Image: 615526898.0.jpeg]
TJ Watt is an absolute havoc wrecker on a passing game. He has a very first quick step and has nice bend along the edge. Would be more of a situational pass rusher while someone like Margus Hunt or Michael Johnson played the run downs until he adds a little bulk. 

4. JuJu-Smith Schuster, WR- USC 
[Image: C1TmmLWVEAAh8T3.jpg]
JuJu would instantly become a fan favorite for all of the times they would play juju on that beat when he makes a great catch or first down but besides that, the dude can go up and get a football. He is a big play WR and that is exactly what this offense needs. As good of a year that Brandon Lafell had, he isn't the answer for the #2 or #3 WR opposite AJ and Boyd. 

5. Desmond King, CB- Iowa 
[Image: p10DOM-Fball-692x360.jpg]
Desmond King isn't going to go to the combine and wow you with his underwear on, but the kid is a very good cornerback. Think Casey Hayward as a comparison. He has phenomenal ball skills when the ball is in the air and almost turns himself into a WR when playing the ball. He isn't going to blaze a 4.3 or 4.4 40 but if you select king, our nickel CB position is in very good hands for years to come. And now with Pacman getting in trouble, and hopefully his release, we are going to have to go CB at sometime in this draft. a WJIII, Dre k, Dennard, King secondary could form into something really nice over the next few years. 

So let me hear some of the guys you are thinking we should target in the 2nd round. 

my number 1 would be raekwon McMillan follow by pat elflien demarcus Walker Corey Davis and Christian mccafferey 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 05:31 PM)Jpoore Wrote: my number 1 would be raekwon McMillan follow by pat elflien demarcus Walker Corey Davis and Christian mccafferey 

Davis will be gone mid 1st, I'd take Walker in a heart beat (or Taco Charlton), Pass on Christian McCafferey as he is basically Gio, and thats too early to take Elflien as he isn't even the top C in the class (He will be there in the 3rd at our pick I'd guess).
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 09:49 AM)Au165 Wrote: Davis will be gone mid 1st, I'd take Walker in a heart beat (or Taco Charlton), Pass on Christian McCafferey as he is basically Gio, and thats too early to take Elflien as he isn't even the top C in the class (He will be there in the 3rd at our pick I'd guess).

Elfein will not make it to our 3rd rounder more than likely and he is absolutely the top center I'd take. I think he'll be an early 2nd rounder but don't see him falling out of the 2nd...I'd take Walker and McMillian in a heartbeat too, both could be difference makers. I agree on McCafferey, tempting but we already have one of those and just signed him to an extension last year
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 10:57 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Elfein will not make it to our 3rd rounder more than likely and he is absolutely the top center I'd take. I think he'll be an early 2nd rounder but don't see him falling out of the 2nd...I'd take Walker and McMillian in a heartbeat too, both could be difference makers. I agree on McCafferey, tempting but we already have one of those and just signed him to an extension last year

Doesn't matter who the top C is.  We ain't drafting one.  We might take on in the late rounds for depth.  But Bodine's replacement?  Not happening.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 11:14 AM)McC Wrote: Doesn't matter who the top C is.  We ain't drafting one.  We might take on in the late rounds for depth.  But Bodine's replacement?  Not happening.

True, but the thread is about players we like that may be available at our 2nd round pick. Not who we think they will pick
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 10:57 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Elfein will not make it to our 3rd rounder more than likely and he is absolutely the top center I'd take. I think he'll be an early 2nd rounder but don't see him falling out of the 2nd...I'd take Walker and McMillian in a heartbeat too, both could be difference makers. I agree on McCafferey, tempting but we already have one of those and just signed him to an extension last year

I just think he is over valued at #9 in the 2nd. He is the #2/#3 Center on most people's boards and I'd rather see if he is there in the 3rd, or even come back into the 2nd and get a center. That early in the 2nd there are normally some guys with 1st round grades still lingering around and that's what I would want to move on.

To be fair though I want to wait on pass rusher until the 2nd and grab one of the guys who falls because of the depth in this draft at the position, so a discussion for center there is a non starter for me. Go Mike Williams or Reuben Foster at 9 then best pass rusher in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 11:32 AM)Au165 Wrote: I just think he is over valued at #9 in the 2nd. He is the #2/#3 Center on most people's boards and I'd rather see if he is there in the 3rd, or even come back into the 2nd and get a center. That early in the 2nd there are normally some guys with 1st round grades still lingering around and that's what I would want to move on.

To be fair though I want to wait on pass rusher until the 2nd and grab one of the guys who falls because of the depth in this draft at the position, so a discussion for center there is a non starter for me. Go Mike Williams or Reuben Foster at 9 then best pass rusher in the 2nd.

3 sacks allowed in the final 2 games of the season has scared me off on Elflein a bit.  I just don't think he will be the bpa in the 2nd and there will be better players at other positions.  
Reply/Quote
Well, i think i would definately take the gamble on Tim Williams if he is there. Pass rusher, bam.

Really like Desmond King, he is a ball hawk and can also be a damn fine Punt returner for us in case Erickson goes down.

I am also a fan of McCaffery or even Joe Mixon here if Rex gets picked up somewhere else. If Rex is gone we only have Gio
coming off of injury, a mixed identity runner in Hill and Peerman a ST's stud.

Takk McKinley is a guy who can do it all on Defense. Could be that game changer type that can play LB at times and rush the
passer. Would really like Takk in the 2nd.

Of course i want a Center in this draft, i am liking Toth more and more but this might be a little early for him.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 02:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am also a fan of McCaffery or even Joe Mixon here if Rex gets picked up somewhere else. If Rex is gone we only have Gio
coming off of injury, a mixed identity runner in Hill and Peerman a ST's stud.

Mixon makes more sense than McCafferey for us as I said we have a version of McCafferey in Gio Mixon would be a better long term replacment to Hill. The issue is some are saying Mixon is undraftable based on is off field issue, but I'd argue he is no more undraftable than Tyreek Hill was.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 03:37 PM)Au165 Wrote: Mixon makes more sense than McCafferey for us as I said we have a version of McCafferey in Gio Mixon would be a better long term replacment to Hill. The issue is some are saying Mixon is undraftable based on is off field issue, but I'd argue he is no more undraftable than Tyreek Hill was.

What is Mixon's off field issue?

Dude is a RB with WR hands, playmaker.

Tyreke Hill has single handedly made Chiefs a SB contender with that speed.

I am actually picking the Chiefs to upset the Pats if they get there with that Defense and ST's.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 04:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What is Mixon's off field issue?

Dude is a RB with WR hands, playmaker.

Tyreke Hill has single handedly made Chiefs a SB contender with that speed.

I am actually picking the Chiefs to upset the Pats if they get there with that Defense and ST's.

Mixon is the player in the video that came out a couple weeks ago knocking a girl out in a coffee shop. It was form his freshman year and he was suspended a year for it, however the current climate of sports make it tough to take the guy everyone knows beats women. To compare Hill punched his pregnant girlfriend in the face and stomach before throwing her down. He plead guilty and was thrown out of school, yet somehow has gotten away with little national media for as successful as he has been this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 04:22 PM)Au165 Wrote: Mixon is the player in the video that came out a couple weeks ago knocking a girl out in a coffee shop. It was form his freshman year and he was suspended a year for it, however the current climate of sports make it tough to take the guy everyone knows beats women. To compare Hill punched his pregnant girlfriend in the face and stomach before throwing her down. He plead guilty and was thrown out of school, yet somehow has gotten away with little national media for as successful as he has been this year.

Whoa, don't like hitting women even if they are biotches.

Mixon will fall a ways cause of that i am sure.

I think that was why i took Hill off my list at the time and was surprised by the pick.

Don't know how any man could punch a pregnant gal, that is crazy shit, especially in the stomach. Sick
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 09:49 AM)Au165 Wrote: Davis will be gone mid 1st, I'd take Walker in a heart beat (or Taco Charlton), Pass on Christian McCafferey as he is basically Gio, and thats too early to take Elflien as he isn't even the top C in the class (He will be there in the 3rd at our pick I'd guess).
Christian mccafferey is like him 2.0 he's a lot stronger and can run in between tackles a lot better but see ur point. Elfliwn definitely is the best center in the draft just playing on a horrible o line has made him look a little bad last couple games. He won't be available by pick 20 in the second. I love Walker he's very complete.
(01-06-2017, 11:14 AM)McC Wrote: Doesn't matter who the top C is.  We ain't drafting one.  We might take on in the late rounds for depth.  But Bodine's replacement?  Not happening.
Well coaches said last year that they expected bodine to make big improvement this year and he didn't. It's possible.
(01-06-2017, 11:32 AM)Au165 Wrote: I just think he is over valued at #9 in the 2nd. He is the #2/#3 Center on most people's boards and I'd rather see if he is there in the 3rd, or even come back into the 2nd and get a center. That early in the 2nd there are normally some guys with 1st round grades still lingering around and that's what I would want to move on.

That's my problem hoping we can trade mccarron for a 1st or second and a 4th. if we get a second we could take Walker in the early second and then elflien with Williams in first. But make no mistake he's the best all around center in this draft and a nasty aggressive run blocking center at that.
(01-06-2017, 01:39 PM)Whatever Wrote: 3 sacks allowed in the final 2 games of the season has scared me off on Elflein a bit.  I just don't think he will be the bpa in the 2nd and there will be better players at other positions.  

The problem is the same problem with zeitler is playing in horrible o-line most of year between bodine and ogbuehi as elflien is the center on a oline with 3 true freshman who are garbage. He is trying to make up and cover for them and in process ends up with not enough protection on own man. If he was on a good oline he would not have this problem. He is the best center in draft and would gladly take him in second as this is our biggest weakness.
Reply/Quote