Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tornadoes
Heavy duty.. I hope all were unaffected , but many were killed or injured. Kind of reminds me of the season of 74.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just a terrible situation. So many lives lost or devastated. Sending my heartfelt prayers & a healthy donation.

Hoping the members here at our Bengals board will do the same.
Reply/Quote
True story.

My oldest daughter was in 2nd grade when her mother and I got divorced. She was going through a phase where she was very afraid of tornadoes. She was moving to Alcoa TN and wondered if they had a bad problem with tornadoes there. When she did a google search she got thousands of hit. Come to find out the nickname of the Alcoa sports teams is the Tornadoes.
Reply/Quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_Super_Outbreak

That '74 event was ridiculous. I was about 12 at that time. Interesting how the map shows the same line angle of the cells just like yesterday's did.
These are super cells that just keep their energy and go for miles.
Reply/Quote
My sister is building a house in a place called Calvary, KY. That community got slammed; luckily they were missed. Drove down there to assist yesterday; those communities are amazing. Folks just driving around in tractors, trucks, and other equipment just looking for folks to help. Makes me want to give up the "city life" and relocate.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Just went through this 2 and a half years ago here in Dayton. It's gonna be a long walk back to normal in the places affected. Hope all of my Kentucky Bengals brethren were spared.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 11:53 AM)Goalpost Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_Super_Outbreak

That '74 event was ridiculous.  I was about 12 at that time.  Interesting how the map shows the same line angle of the cells just like yesterday's did.
These are super cells that just keep their energy and go for miles.

I went to Xenia the day after..Saw things I never thought possible.. A man hole yanked completely out of the middle of the street laying on it's side..
Went down one street where everything was gone completely on one side. Right across the street looked like a fresh spring day..Not a scratch at all..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 01:50 PM)jason Wrote: Just went through this 2 and a half years ago here in Dayton. It's gonna be a long walk back to normal in the places affected. Hope all of my Kentucky Bengals brethren were spared.

The one I would be most concerned about would be Benton. He lives in Benton, KY which is very close to Mayfield. 

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 02:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The one I would be most concerned about would be Benton. He lives in Benton, KY which is very close to Mayfield. 

I have a friend in Benton who said it was damaged but mostly spared. Let's hope his place was one of the lucky ones. 
Reply/Quote
Hey guys, appreciate the concerns.

It's rough in spots on here. A lot of you may have heard of Mayfield, they got got pretty hard. 50 or so missing or dead. Lots of businesses and public services lost. Benton is along the line. The hardest hit area was a place called The Moores. Basically a marina and vacation houses. My brother is on the sheriff's department. Not nearly as bad there (which is where I live), but there 30-40 missing or dead here according to him.

We just got power on tonight about 8 pm. I'm very fortunate, only a little damage to the house (mostly just debris from other places). Just had to get by on kerosene heat and bottled water for a while.
Reply/Quote
Good to hear Benton.

Hoping FEMA comes in with swift relief.
Reply/Quote
I can't possibly imagine the terror all these people suffered. I feel like nothing I could say would help. But my heart hurts for these people. All of them.

There's no goofy gif or meme attached to this post. No witty joke. I don't get serious very often, but I am genuinely saddened and hope for the best possible for all involved.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
That tornado that hit Mayfield traveled over 210 miles continuously on the ground (new record) and at times was 3 miles wide at it's base. The town is totally destroyed. I got lucky here in Louisville, I live almost in Mt. Washington and one touched down on US 44 about 2 miles from us, but it wasn't anything compared to the big ones that hit Mayfield, Benton and Bowling Green.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 11:25 PM)Benton Wrote: Hey guys, appreciate the concerns.

It's rough in spots on here. A lot of you may have heard of Mayfield, they got got pretty hard. 50 or so missing or dead. Lots of businesses and public services lost. Benton is along the line. The hardest hit area was a place called The Moores. Basically a marina and vacation houses. My brother is on the sheriff's department. Not nearly as bad there (which is where I live), but there 30-40 missing or dead here according to him.

We just got power on tonight about 8 pm. I'm very fortunate, only a little damage to the house (mostly just debris from other places). Just had to get by on kerosene heat and bottled water for a while.
I wanted to bump this because we often only think of these folks immediately after the event. I hope those in the Mayfield/ Bowling Green area are having the opportunity to enjoy the holidays in some small way. 

Not to get political, but the Governor of KY has political ideologically  totally opposite of me, but the dude has my respect for what he's done; of course it's hits a little closer to him due to the location.

Finally, and just spit balling here, is there something we as a message board community can do. Perhaps a go fund me where we all chip in and get the kids in the Benton-Mayfield area some Bengals jerseys.. 

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2021, 06:39 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That tornado that hit Mayfield traveled over 210 miles continuously on the ground (new record) and at times was 3 miles wide at it's base. The town is totally destroyed. I got lucky here in Louisville, I live almost in Mt. Washington and one touched down on US 44 about 2 miles from us, but it wasn't anything compared to the big ones that hit Mayfield, Benton and Bowling Green.

Homeslice, I have a cousin that lives in Mt Washington. I assume you know where Campbellsvile is, more directly. a small community called Finley. Another couisin's son's home was a complete loss, he was lucky to escape with his life. Anyway a picture he had taken with his brother on his wedding day was found by a lady in Lexington, KY

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 06:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Homeslice, I have a cousin that lives in Mt Washington. I assume you know where Campbellsvile is, more directly. a small community called Finley. Another couisin's son's home was a complete loss, he was lucky to escape with his life. Anyway a picture he had taken with his brother on his wedding day was found by a lady in Lexington, KY

Been to Campbellsville many times...
Reply/Quote
Been in Texas for 20 years to where it’s almost no big deal when tornadoes roll through….but seeing the videos from these storms is terrifying.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
If you've ever experienced a tornado passing over you'll know how it affects your ears when the sudden and overwhelming atmospheric pressure drops. I can't even imagine being in one where everything for miles is flattened.. I have talked to a few who experienced it.. Feels like being in a plane when it starts to fall suddenly except much faster with a bunch of wind and crap flying everywhere.. That's what I was told anyway.. I have been under a few small F1 tornadoes and they're no laughing matter.. Anyone who claims to not be scared of tornadoes has never been in one large or small.. They're flat out terrifying.. 

Reply/Quote
The Mayfield tornado seen as it's lit up by lightning. The sirens going off in the background put a really eerie spin on it

https://www.wlky.com/article/massive-tornado-kentucky-arkansas-december/38493344?fbclid=IwAR3Ypug5M32nhsFpUm6n9FMyxrgTaYZ_stbUTD4mArh_0lOSKXTcThViYsw#
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 02:19 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The Mayfield tornado seen as it's lit up by lightning. The sirens going off in the background put a really eerie spin on it

https://www.wlky.com/article/massive-tornado-kentucky-arkansas-december/38493344?fbclid=IwAR3Ypug5M32nhsFpUm6n9FMyxrgTaYZ_stbUTD4mArh_0lOSKXTcThViYsw#

I gotta say that after having lived through 2 tornadoes there's no freakin way I'd be taking video if a monster like that moving anywhere near me.. I'd be far too busy shitting my pants to even think of youtube videos.. First one I was under a bridge in the middle of nowhere in Illinois hitch hiking with a friend... It went straight down the freeway a ways, went right over us, but lightning stuck the guard rail below us which made me jump, slam my head into the concrete right above me..kind of like a cartoon with my head sticking through the top except that never quite happened.. We didn't even know it was a tornado till the next morning. Someone pointed towards the freeway after we went to the Dennys a ways off from the highway.. Signs ripped up, trucks thrown around..blah blah blah. We just thought it was a really bad storm and went to sleep after it passed over us.. It did rip the tarp we were trying to hang onto out of our hands like it was being sucked out of a space ship into the vacuum of space like the movies.. I think that's when we started to think, This might get bad!  LOL 

Reply/Quote