Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tornadoes
When a tornado is visibly moving, you can tell where it's pretty much going. When a tornado seems to not be moving is when you bend over and kiss it goodbye, because that means it's headed straight at you.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 02:59 PM)grampahol Wrote: If you've ever experienced a tornado passing over you'll know how it affects your ears when the sudden and overwhelming atmospheric pressure drops. I can't even imagine being in one where everything for miles is flattened..

Only tornado I ever experienced was from the lower level of a parking garage in Nashville in '98 (99?).

I knew I was safe but it was still a strange experience.  It got very dark, my ears popped, and it sounded like a train was driving over our heads.

When I left the office people told me there were tornadoes around, but growing up in Ohio I thought there would be warning sirens going off if one was really close.  Did not know Nashville did not have anything like that at the time.  As I was walking down the street I heard a big roar and saw a massive black blob coming over the city.  Ducked into a parking garage because I knew it would not blow away.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 06:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I wanted to bump this because we often only think of these folks immediately after the event. I hope those in the Mayfield/ Bowling Green area are having the opportunity to enjoy the holidays in some small way. 

Not to get political, but the Governor of KY has political ideologically  totally opposite of me, but the dude has my respect for what he's done; of course it's hits a little closer to him due to the location.

Finally, and just spit balling here, is there something we as a message board community can do. Perhaps a go fund me where we all chip in and get the kids in the Benton-Mayfield area some Bengals jerseys.. 

Agreed, I don't want to make this political (honestly, I don't have a lot of knowledge over what Dandy Andy stands for as we haven't gotten to see a lot of it). But dude has my respect. While Biden was taking press photos, Beshear was hanging back in Mayfield and just talking to people. Taking names. Giving hugs (yeah, kind of lame, but he did what he could). About a week later, my daughter's soccer team was volunteering at a state park with those displaced. Who shows up? Beshear. He talked to the volunteers, thanked each one of them (only about 7 kids from her team showed up, but still), talked about playing as a center mid, and had lunch with them. From what I understand, he's been visiting all of the parks on a fairly regular basis (the state opened up lodging at state parks for those displaced).

No politics, I just think he's been a decent guy. Bonus, he didn't call it a hurricane.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2021, 03:24 PM)basballguy Wrote: Been in Texas for 20 years to where it’s almost no big deal when tornadoes roll through….but seeing the videos from these storms is terrifying.

It's weird.

Back 25ish years ago, I was staying with a buddy on an Air Force base in Wyoming. We had over a dozen tornadoes touch down the two weeks I was there. We used to sit out in the front yard and watch them in the distance.

I guess they were just that far away.

Here, it's just... rough. The places in the path are destroyed. Even places like mine that were less than a half mile from the path took some decent damage. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 12:26 AM)Benton Wrote: It's weird.

Back 25ish years ago, I was staying with a buddy on an Air Force base in Wyoming. We had over a dozen tornadoes touch down the two weeks I was there. We used to sit out in the front yard and watch them in the distance.

I guess they were just that far away.

Here, it's just... rough. The places in the path are destroyed. Even places like mine that were less than a half mile from the path took some decent damage. 

It just depends. I've been through numerous tornadoes, but they were all pretty much EF-1's. The one that came through Kentucky was a 4 or 5. Totally different animal. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 10:29 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It just depends. I've been through numerous tornadoes, but they were all pretty much EF-1's. The one that came through Kentucky was a 4 or 5. Totally different animal. 

Not even in the same universe.. Fairly easy to survive an EF1.. I remember an entire manhole sucked right out of the middle of the street in Xenia back in 74.. I have never been able to remotely imagine that kind of force of wind and pressure drops to do something like that. The only saving grace for people sucked up into something like that is it's so fast you probably don't have consciousness much more than a few seconds if that. Basically just splits your brain right open kind of pressure. You might see or hear it coming, but once there it's likely all over just that quick if you're outside in the path of it all.. The really strange part is there have been stories of people thrown miles and still survive it. I have no idea how much of those stories are fact and how much is fiction, but i couldn't wrap my mind around something like that..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote