Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Touch backs to the 25 and Tate
With touch backs coming out to the 25 will the team finally sour on Tate's returns from deep in the end zone?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Depends, will Tate get rid of the blackmail he has on Mike Brown that allows him to keep getting a job year after year?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 11:33 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Depends, will Tate get rid of the blackmail he has on Mike Brown that allows him to keep getting a job year after year?

Now that you say this. I have never seen Tate on the cart playing grabby knee with Mikey. He must have something on him.
Reply/Quote
This rule smells like counter-productivity.
Reply/Quote
I'm not a fan of this change. Absolutely no need for it IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 12:26 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm not a fan of this change. Absolutely no need for it IMO.

Pretty much. We'll never see another Devin Hester or Josh Cribbs.

It's just extending one of the most boring parts of any football game. TD, commercial, PAT, commercial, Touchback, commercial... three commercial breaks split up by like 30 seconds of game. While taking away one of the most exciting parts of any football game, which is a great return for a TD.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 12:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pretty much. We'll never see another Devin Hester or Josh Cribbs.

It's just extending one of the most boring parts of any football game. TD, commercial, PAT, commercial, Touchback, commercial... three commercial breaks split up by like 30 seconds of game. While taking away one of the most exciting parts of any football game, which is a great return for a TD.

Safety over Excitement is where the NFL is going here.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 11:33 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Depends, will Tate get rid of the blackmail he has on Mike Brown that allows him to keep getting a job year after year?

Plus 1
Reply/Quote
I have to wonder if more teams will have a guy kick it a bit shy of the endzone if they trust their kickoff team and the opposing returner isn't great.

It seemed like we have even done this in the past. I feel like Nugent or any NFL kicker can bomb it to the endzone everytime, but don't because they think they can stop the return team short of the 20.

Now I thought this was stupid because the risk of a TD isn't work 4 yards, but maybe it is worth the risk of 9.
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 12:52 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Safety over Excitement is where the NFL is going here.

might as well shut it all down then
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 12:52 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Safety over Excitement is where the NFL is going here.

Then just put flags on them. 

Listen, I'm all for safety of the players. But, you have to remember that football is an inherently violent, often dangerous sport. Whenever there's running, tackling and collisions...there's going to be a chance of injury.

I'm in favor of strict concussion protocols, hits on defenseless players being illegal, outlawing shots to the head and knees, and so forth. But, I don't think the touchback change was needed or makes the game better.

Just my opinion, of course. 
Reply/Quote
Why not just get rid of the kick return completely if it's so dangerous? Just start every drive from the 20.

Starting from the 25 just looks like the league's way of increasing scoring while giving the appearance that they're concerned with safety.

I'm sick of major changes every year. Changing the PAT was stupid too. XP's are supposed to be easy. That's why it's a big deal when a team misses one.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 11:55 AM)Stormborn Wrote: This rule smells like counter-productivity.

(03-23-2016, 12:26 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm not a fan of this change. Absolutely no need for it IMO.

(03-23-2016, 12:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pretty much. We'll never see another Devin Hester or Josh Cribbs.

Yeah, absolutely hate the move. Was bad enough the last couple years, this is even worse. Whatever

To the OP, i doubt Tate makes the team if we bring in Lafell and a Draft pick. This takes lots of Tate's importance away
which was he was sure handed and an ok returner. He was not near as bad as some say but we could definately improve
the position. Adam, Alford, Lafell and hopefully a speedy Draft pick make Tate extremely expendable.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 01:04 PM)MrRager Wrote: I have to wonder if more teams will have a guy kick it a bit shy of the endzone if they trust their kickoff team and the opposing returner isn't great.

It seemed like we have even done this in the past. I feel like Nugent or any NFL kicker can bomb it to the endzone everytime, but don't because they think they can stop the return team short of the 20.

Now I thought this was stupid because the risk of a TD isn't work 4 yards, but maybe it is worth the risk of 9.

Yes, this is what will happen.  Most college teams that have a good kicker already do it.
Reply/Quote
This thread should be titled "Touch Backs to the 25 and Nugent"

I was thinking about all of this earlier and I think the new rule actually helps us because of Nugent. Nugent doesn't bang them out of the endzone often for touchbacks... at least, not from what I have noticed. If anything, with the leg strength Nugent has, this might actually help us. Teams were already returning it regardless, so now there is just a better chance that they end up <25 meaning a useless return... if that makes sense.

This new rule really benefits those with weaker kickers IMO, and makes it almost worse for teams like the Ravens with Justin Tucker. Now every team will start at the 25 against the Ravens due to JT's strong leg, unless he alters his kicks to kick the ball shorter, hoping that a returner returns it.

Just my thoughts.
Reply/Quote
I have read where this rule might actually increase returns. Pretty much Special teams were OK with giving you the 20, but not the 25. Kickers are going to be coached to put more air under the kick and have in fielded in the field of play.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 01:04 PM)MrRager Wrote: I have to wonder if more teams will have a guy kick it a bit shy of the endzone if they trust their kickoff team and the opposing returner isn't great.

A high, hanging kickoff to the goal line is MUCH more effective than a line drive several yards deep even under the odl rules.

I saw one special teams coach that taught his return men to count hang time.  There was a certain number of seconds of hang time that determined if he returned the ball.  It didn't matter how deep he was in the end zone.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 02:52 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: This thread should be titled "Touch Backs to the 25 and Nugent"

I was thinking about all of this earlier and I think the new rule actually helps us because of Nugent. Nugent doesn't bang them out of the endzone often for touchbacks... at least, not from what I have noticed. If anything, with the leg strength Nugent has, this might actually help us. Teams were already returning it regardless, so now there is just a better chance that they end up <25 meaning a useless return... if that makes sense.

This new rule really benefits those with weaker kickers IMO, and makes it almost worse for teams like the Ravens with Justin Tucker. Now every team will start at the 25 against the Ravens due to JT's strong leg, unless he alters his kicks to kick the ball shorter, hoping that a returner returns it.

Just my thoughts.

ive seen him put them out... So i dont know if hes not able to hit it consistany or we have such faith in our coverage team (who are pretty good) to try and bait them into a return
Reply/Quote
This isn't going to promote safety. Teams will kick just before the end zone and hope the coverage unit stops the return man before the 25. Knowing how much Simmons trust our coverage team, we're going to see a lot of kicks to the 1.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 04:37 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: This isn't going to promote safety. Teams will kick just before the end zone and hope the coverage unit stops the return man before the 25. Knowing how much Simmons trust our coverage team, we're going to see a lot of kicks to the 1.

when you think about this is the opposite of promoting saftey as this is promoting kick returns as its now a punishment to the kicking team of giving up an extra 5 yards.
Reply/Quote