Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Trade Andy to Browns for their #2 pick
Except blitz packages and zone defenses. McCarron doesn't do so well against that.

Dalton has set franchise records, led the team to the playoffs five years in a row, and was having an MVP level year.  

I'd rather continue building around him instead of rolling the dice on McCarron.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 07:55 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Sorry if this idea has already been presented. I haven't read all the threads. Andy and Hue are a team and you know Hue would love to have Andy. I think over time AJ could be as good or even better than Andy. Just a thought.

Absolutely ridiculous and no way.  
Dalton's one of the top QB's in the NFL and proven for an unknown #2 pick w/ a division rival?
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
I'll be pissed if we get rid of mccarron .

Not that I wanna get rid of dalton but jus because hue is close to us does not mean we should give a potential young star to a division rival
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 09:02 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Except blitz packages and zone defenses.

Dalton has set franchise records, led the team to the playoffs five years in a row, and was having an MVP level year.  

I'd rather continue building around him instead of rolling the dice on McCarron.
But what if it's true that Hue was doing everything possible to keep Andy looking good. Last season he had a lot of INTs. This year Hue drew up plays that were safe for Andy to execute. Well Hue isn't going to be here next season. What if the next OC can't protect Andy the way Hue did? What if Sanu and Marvin Jones aren't here next year? How will Andy do then?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 09:12 PM)BengalRed Wrote: But what if it's true that Hue was doing everything possible to keep Andy looking good. Last season he had a lot of INTs. This year Hue drew up plays that were safe for Andy to execute. Well Hue isn't going to be here next season. What if the next OC can't protect Andy the way Hue did? What if Sanu and Marvin Jones aren't here next year? How will Andy do then?

Protected Andy?

I'm sorry but this is absurd. No one protected Andy, and we were throwing it all over the field. Throwing bombs down the perimeter is not protecting your QB.

Protecting a QB is what the Ravens did with Mallet.. not Andy.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 09:13 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Protected Andy?

I'm sorry but this is absurd. No one protected Andy, and we were throwing it all over the field. Throwing bombs down the perimeter is not protecting your QB.

Protecting a QB is what the Ravens did with Mallet.. not Andy.

Hahaha I agree.

Andy Dalton did an amazing job this year with turnovers, It's absurd to say that he had this success because they were being conservative Big Grin
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 09:12 PM)BengalRed Wrote: But what if it's true that Hue was doing everything possible to keep Andy looking good. Last season he had a lot of INTs. This year Hue drew up plays that were safe for Andy to execute. Well Hue isn't going to be here next season. What if the next OC can't protect Andy the way Hue did? What if Sanu and Marvin Jones aren't here next year? How will Andy do then?

Dalton has a quick release.  That's not going to suddenly disappear once Jackson leaves. And it's made our offensive line look much better than perhaps it is.

He's five years into the NFL.  He has experience reading defenses and making audibles at the line.  Again, not going to suddenly disappear with Jackson.

He continues to work with House in developing his mechanics.  I doubt he calls it quits now.

Hell, all things considered, I'd say Dalton made Hugh Jackson look better.

The only detriment Dalton can potentially run into is if an OC comes in and tries to put him into an offensive scheme that plays against his strengths.  Otherwise, as far as intangibles, I wouldn't expect a drop off.

Wide receivers are a commodity now.  Even if both Jones and Sanu leave (I doubt we lose both), you can pick up quality receivers in the draft.  And he'll still have Green, Eifert, and Hewitt.
Reply/Quote
This is a horrible idea.

I'd do it for McCarron, but I wouldn't trade Dalton for the Browns first rounder this year AND next year.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 08:50 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Sorry for stepping on your toes. As I said I'm just throwing it out there. I could also see AJ being the one who would go,but to get a number two pick, that would be awesome.
So they can draft Guard to groom for when Boling retires?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 09:18 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Dalton has a quick release.  That's not going to suddenly disappear once Jackson leaves.  And it's made our offensive line look much better than perhaps it is.

He's five years into the NFL.  He has experience reading defenses and making audibles at the line.  Again, not going to suddenly disappear with Jackson.

He continues to work with House in developing his mechanics.  I doubt he calls it quits now.

Hell, all things considered, I'd say Dalton made Hugh Jackson look better.

The only detriment Dalton can potentially run into is if an OC comes in and tries to put him into an offensive scheme that plays against his strengths.  Otherwise, as far as intangibles, I wouldn't expect a drop off.

Wide receivers are a commodity now.  Even if both Jones and Sanu leave (I doubt we lose both), you can pick up quality receivers in the draft.  And he'll still have Green, Eifert, and Hewitt.

Fair enough. I'm not hating on Andy. I like him as a person and a football player. I'm just not sure he can lead us to the Super Bowl especially without Hue. If he's still our QB I will support him 100% and hope for the best.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 07:55 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Sorry if this idea has already been presented. I haven't read all the threads. Andy and Hue are a team and you know Hue would love to have Andy. I think over time AJ could be as good or even better than Andy. Just a thought.

The Bengals aren't going to trade anybody to Cleveland. Just not going to happen.

And, while I do believe AJM will eventually become a good starting QB, why trade Andy and put the team on hold like that? Don't we want a SB this coming year?

The Bengals are going to lose a few free agents this year and some of those are going to bring compensation picks in the 2017 draft. So additional draft picks are already figured into the equation.

Reply/Quote
AJM to the Rams for a 2nd makes more sense. Not even going to debate AD to the Browns for a 2nd because that is seriously the stupidest thing I have read all day.

Reply/Quote
Why get rid of Dalton when he seems to have turned the corner this year and is still extremely young and now talked about as a top QB in the league with numbers to back it up?

Not sure I understand this one.
Reply/Quote
I think he was suggesting we trade Dalton for the #2 overall pick, not a second round pick.
Reply/Quote
For Andy?  Takes a #1, plus compensation.  Just not sure who, on the current Browns roster, would make "equal compensation".  Closest that I can come is to throw in Alex Mack.

But anyway, no deal.  Andy is a Bengal, and will likely retire as one.  Get that through your heads, naysayers.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 09:18 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: This is a horrible idea.

I'd do it for McCarron, but I wouldn't trade Dalton for the Browns first rounder this year AND next year.

Exactly. Andy is one of the top qb's in the league. No issue trading AJM but they will pay the in division higher cost.

Not crazy about trading him within the division but will let them knock our socks off.
Reply/Quote
Bengals dont trade players away unless that player retires on them.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 08:50 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Sorry for stepping on your toes. As I said I'm just throwing it out there. I could also see AJ being the one who would go,but to get a number two pick, that would be awesome.

That is why I speculate AJM as the QB to be traded.  To me a 5th round back up QB being traded for a 2nd round pick is an upgrade.  With Hue Jackson, unless he wants to role the dice with someone he hasn't worked with yet, he may be interested in AJM, since he already has coached him and they could continue to work together.

Add to the fact that Jackson was the OC when we drafted AJM that sorta means AJM is Hue's guy.

So, me personally, I would pull the trigger for a 3rd rounder, however, I do think we could get a 2nd rounder.  With Hue we could get a 1st rounder and maybe more.

I know how some Bengals fans perceive such a deal, but sometimes you have to swallow your pride and make smart decisions.  If the Browns come offering, especially a 1st rounder, you have to entertain the idea.  If Hue's influence were to get us a 1st and a conditional 2nd for AJM, you have to pull the trigger and would be foolish to say know.

A 5th round back up QB for a 1st plus conditional 2nd (the conditional part is, Browns make the playoffs or AJM throws for 20 plus TDs and 4,000 yards and we get a 1st.)  That would be an insane trade.

Dalton believe it or not is worth more than that though, since he is an established QB.  We win if he plays.
Reply/Quote
Cleveland is looking south to Columbus with the mistaken belief that Cardale Jones is their long term answer at quarterback. I can't see Hue Jackson going for that!
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 10:37 PM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: That is why I speculate AJM as the QB to be traded.  To me a 5th round back up QB being traded for a 2nd round pick is an upgrade.  With Hue Jackson, unless he wants to role the dice with someone he hasn't worked with yet, he may be interested in AJM, since he already has coached him and they could continue to work together.

Add to the fact that Jackson was the OC when we drafted AJM that sorta means AJM is Hue's guy.

So, me personally, I would pull the trigger for a 3rd rounder, however, I do think we could get a 2nd rounder.  With Hue we could get a 1st rounder and maybe more.

I know how some Bengals fans perceive such a deal, but sometimes you have to swallow your pride and make smart decisions.  If the Browns come offering, especially a 1st rounder, you have to entertain the idea.  If Hue's influence were to get us a 1st and a conditional 2nd for AJM, you have to pull the trigger and would be foolish to say no.

A 5th round back up QB for a 1st plus conditional 2nd (the conditional part is, Browns make the playoffs or AJM throws for 20 plus TDs and 4,000 yards and we get a 1st.)  That would be an insane trade.

Dalton believe it or not is worth more than that though, since he is an established QB.  We win if he plays.

I know people think Hue is an idiot for that Carson trade, but Carson was a proven commodity and Hue was in a desperate situation. McCarron isn't on Palmer's level and Hue isn't fighting for a playoff spot with an injured starting QB. I'd say there's almost zero chance that McCarron would garner a 1st round pick + a conditional 2nd. Heck, I have my doubts that any team will come calling with a 2nd, but at least that's realistic.

Honestly, I think Hue being in the division makes a trade of McCarron less likely. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote