Poll: What to do with Bates
Keep him
Trade. De-activate implant.
Trade. Leave implant active.
I'm not falling for this.
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trade Bates?
Jesse Bates' agent loves those of you who think he'd net a 1st round pick in a trade... Lord have mercy.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 02:24 PM)jason Wrote: Jesse Bates' agent loves those of you who think he'd net a 1st round pick in a trade... Lord have mercy.

You never quite know what a safety needy team is willing to give up for a player like Bates even if he's had a "down season". It's in the eye of the beholder. Some teams would never bite while some might think Bates is the greatest thing since sliced bread. The Bengals are in the position of forcing bates to prove his worth and if he has a great start to this season they could possibly trade him for...? Suckers are born every minute.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Everyone needs to remember that the Bengals went out of their way to promote Bates as a fresh, young "face of the franchise" in 2020. They were the one hyping him as the "top rated safety in the league" through their social media.

They deserve a little bit of the blame for creating this situation.
Reply/Quote
You keep Bates we were just in the Super Bowl and your in 3 safety sets a ton so we can ease Hill in as a rookie. Sounds crazy but this could be a win for the Bengals if Hill can start next year for Bates and be good as well as contributing this year. You can’t pay everyone eventually we have to extend guys like Burrow, Chase, Higgins ,Johan Williams and Logan Wilson, Pratt’s contract is up next year too. We’re paying the entire D-line big money and just spent on the offensive line. At worst we get a comp pick for Bates and still contend for the Super Bowl this season.
Reply/Quote
I probably wouldn't as things stand right now.

I certainly wouldn't trade him just to trade him. The return would need to be something that would make me feel like it would help them not just in the future but immediately in 2022.

To be honest, I think the secondary is going to be loaded in 2022 and want to see it play out. Bates can stay where he is, have a career year, and go get the giant contract he wants in 2023. Hill can be a much better version of Ricardo Allen while he waits to step into Bates' role.

As I see it, the team is in the last year of the fat-and-happy loaded roster with a qb on a rookie deal stage. You use that talent while you can because you likely won't enjoy the advantage at any other point in Burrow's career.
Reply/Quote