Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trade Burkhead?
Burkhead is apparently overestimated by some. You might get a 7th rounder for a player of his caliber.

To those saying he'd blow up in NE, their pass catching backs (Woodhead, Vereen, etc) have had success elsewhere. They weren't talentless nobodies that were products of Brady's greatness. Contrary to popular belief, Brady has actually had some pretty good players around him in NE.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 05:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Burkhead is apparently overestimated by some. You might get a 7th rounder for a player of his caliber.

To those saying he'd blow up in NE, their pass catching backs (Woodhead, Vereen, etc) have had success elsewhere. They weren't talentless nobodies that were products of Brady's greatness. Contrary to popular belief, Brady has actually had some pretty good players around him in NE.

That said, NE isn't exactly thin at RB. With Lewis,Blount,Bolden, James White,Donald Brown,and Tyler Gaffney all on their depth chart, they're not giving up anything to get a RB and they certainly are not in need of a pass catching RB. 
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 05:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Burkhead is apparently overestimated by some. You might get a 7th rounder for a player of his caliber.

True that Shake, but a RB with hands like Burkhead is pretty rare. I can understand why some would think he would do good in NE.

But i am against it. Keep him here as insurance and as Jonesy said our eventual Peerman replacement.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 05:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year Burkhead fumbled once every 14 touches while Hill fumbled once every 79 touches.

So, yeah, you would have to have no brains to use Burkhead in that situation.

That was the Seattle game when he got hit in the backfield as soon as it was handed off from a blown blocking assignment. It was one of Hue's mini reverse gimmicky plays. 

https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/653283041293438976?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 12:56 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I can see possible value in trading Burkhead to a team like the Browns. Hue always like him, and the kid deserves a shot somewhere... he is just stuck behind two great RB's on the depth chart, and while I do like his contributions when he gets the chance, he rarely gets the chances to contribute.

I would be open to sending him off for a decent pick and giving the kid a chance elsewhere...

I like the back-up dude from Mississippi State that played a lot in the fourth quarter.I cannot remember his name,i think his number was 39.He is a thumper.Like 231 lbs. and he can hammer.He would be a good replacement for Burkhead.I agree, trade him or release him.The new guy has more skills so far of what I see.He is very physical.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 06:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True that Shake, but a RB with hands like Burkhead is pretty rare. I can understand why some would think he would do good in NE.

But i am against it. Keep him here as insurance and as Jonesy said our eventual Peerman replacement.

I wouldn't really say it's rare. Most teams these days have a RB or two with good hands. Guys like Theo Riddick in Detroit. Woodhead with SD. Pierre Thomas and now CJ Spiller in NO. Bell with Pitt. And while I do think there's some value in having him on the bench, it's not like he's very battle tested in games.

We honestly have no idea if Rex would be good if relied upon for 150+ touches. Just a guess, but I see him as a Brian Leonard type of player. A useful utility guy, but not someone you want to rely on for heavy touches.

Tbh, while Leonard had his moments, I think he was a little overrated as well. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 10:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I wouldn't really say it's rare. Most teams these days have a RB or two with good hands. Guys like Theo Riddick in Detroit. Woodhead with SD. Pierre Thomas and now CJ Spiller in NO. Bell with Pitt. And while I do think there's some value in having him on the bench, it's not like he's very battle tested in games.

We honestly have no idea if Rex would be good if relied upon for 150+ touches. Just a guess, but I see him as a Brian Leonard type of player. A useful utility guy, but not someone you want to rely on for heavy touches.

Tbh, while Leonard had his moments, I think he was a little overrated as well. 

Eh, i think we need to quit the white guy comparisons.

Leonard was more of a Half Back/Full Back hybrid. He had a lot of heart and a leap but Burkhead is a lot different
in my honest opinion cause he is a much better runner when given the chance and is much quicker. Brian Leonard
might be overrated by some but i think that is cause he willed us to wins and the one against Pitt stands out.

Burkhead is way more verstatile than Leonard cause he can play the Slot with his quicks and hands.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 10:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, i think we need to quit the white guy comparisons.

Leonard was more of a Half Back/Full Back hybrid. He had a lot of heart and a leap but Burkhead is a lot different
in my honest opinion cause he is a much better runner when given the chance and is much quicker. Brian Leonard
might be overrated by some but i think that is cause he willed us to wins and the one against Pitt stands out.

Burkhead is way more verstatile than Leonard cause he can play the Slot with his quicks and hands.

The leap was his demise.

It became painfully obvious that he would do it every time, so guys could bait him and line him up in the air for an easy tackle.

If he had added a few extra moves to the repertoire, he might have lasted a little longer.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 10:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, i think we need to quit the white guy comparisons.

Burkhead is way more verstatile than Leonard cause he can play the Slot with his quicks and hands.

Ugh...

I almost put "and not because they're both white" in my post, but I was hoping people would be mature enough to realize that's not why I was comparing them. I honestly disagree that Leonard was some kind of FB hybrid (how often did Leonard lead block?). He was a RB.

Like I said in my post, they've both been used sparingly (Burkhead is used even less than Leonard thus far). Both solid pass catchers. Similar size. Similar upside (IMO). Both recent Bengals. I often make fun of lazy race comparisons, but just because 2 players are white doesn't automatically make it silly to compare them. I guess we just disagree on how similar they are.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 12:45 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote:  
Ugh...

I almost put "and not because they're both white" in my post, but I was hoping people would be mature enough to realize that's not why I was comparing them. I honestly disagree that Leonard was some kind of FB hybrid (how often did Leonard lead block?). He was a RB.

Like I said in my post, they've both been used sparingly (Burkhead is used even less than Leonard thus far). Both solid pass catchers. Similar size. Similar upside (IMO). Both recent Bengals. I often make fun of lazy race comparisons, but just because 2 players are white doesn't automatically make it silly to compare them. I guess we just disagree on how similar they are.

Sure would be nice to see more of Burkhead as a RB to know for sure.

The little i have seen i think he has better vision than Leonard. I guess the comparison is not that far off actually
when i think about it. Hands and size are very similar. Quickness is the area that Rex seems much different, he is
very quick hence why we like to use him in the Slot mostly.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 10:55 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: The leap was his demise.

It became painfully obvious that he would do it every time, so guys could bait him and line him up in the air for an easy tackle.

If he had added a few extra moves to the repertoire, he might have lasted a little longer.

Yeah, it did get predictable.
Reply/Quote
Lets trade him for baby hawk Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 05:22 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The hopes was that he has some trade value with the Browns. That is the only possibility really. Imo their RB room is lacking, and Hue knows what he has with Burkhead.

I agree he is essentially untradeable, but his contract is up after this year and even a conditional 7th would be worth more to us than letting him walk freely.

This thread has essentially turned into the "No, Burkhead is invaluable depth" thread, so my question now is what kind of contract do you hand this guy next year? I'm not sure the Bengals will make an effort to keep him... then again he has high character and is good at special teams, lets keep him around for another 5 years.

Rex and Peerman are both going to be free agents after this season. I wouldn't be too surprised if we put together a 2 or 3 year deal for a little over a million a year and see which guy takes it first.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 04:27 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Rex and Peerman are both going to be free agents after this season. I wouldn't be too surprised if we put together a 2 or 3 year deal for a little over a million a year and see which guy takes it first.

Yeah, that sounds like a pretty reasonable, and likely scenario    and either way, I won't be super upset with the outcome.  Their roles seem fairly similar, though Burkhead does appear a better receiver and obviously Peerman is better on teams.  Which is more important to the FO?  Which is most easily replaced?  Decisions I have no part in making, but I trust the right decision will be made when that time comes.  And there will be people on here irate either way it goes, promises to be fun!!  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 04:32 PM)jonesy84 Wrote: Yeah, that sounds like a pretty reasonable, and likely scenario    and either way, I won't be super upset with the outcome.  Their roles seem fairly similar, though Burkhead does appear a better receiver and obviously Peerman is better on teams.  Which is more important to the FO?  Which is most easily replaced?  Decisions I have no part in making, but I trust the right decision will be made when that time comes.  And there will be people on here irate either way it goes, promises to be fun!!  ThumbsUp

In terms of playing time, Rex beats out Peerman. However, Peerman is beloved by his teammates and coaches. He even has the Reverend moniker that Reggie Kelly had.

If anything, I think Peerman is more likely back than Rex.

You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 04:36 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: In terms of playing time, Rex beats out Peerman. However, Peerman is beloved by his teammates and coaches. He even has the Reverend moniker that Reggie Kelly had.

If anything, I think Peerman is more likely back than Rex.

unless we get another guy who is already under contract for a while ordained so we can at least have a backup reverend... LOL
Reply/Quote
Dude is looking strong tonight. Maybe gaining some value for that trade? Ninja

Way to make me eat crow Burke!
Reply/Quote
I would not be on board with trading away Burkhead. If anything cut Peerman or at least stop giving him the ball. Guy is a bum with the ball. He has an occasional flashy play but he isn't consistent at all.
Reply/Quote
Rex is close to Peerman in terms of his versatility. Maybe they're equal, just different. I'd love keeping Tra Carson on the 53 as insurance for J. Hill, but can he play STs as well as Peerman? Doubtful.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote