Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
ESPN Saying Bengals to tag Green
(03-02-2020, 04:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I think they are. Hence the tag. If AJ plays 16 games at a high level, then they can go from there.

We shall see. Teams often use the tag to keep players off the market and give them time to negotiate.

AJ won't be happy wasting a year on the tag, so we'll see if the Bengals cave.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
He is a risk - no doubt. But if you ask why AJ Green the nice guy wants a great contract, I'd have to say he just wants the respect.

AJ's been sort of the backhanded "top 5" guy. Everyone says that he may or may not make that list, and that's what they said in his prime.

Add to that the Bengals have a reputation for disrespecting some of their best players who are aging but not over the hill - I think of Whit. And that overshadows their willingness to extend their good young players. The Bengals don't seem to know when to hold them and when to fold them.

Add to that no one wants to be in contract negotiations year after year. I think he just wants a contract that acknowledges how good he is (or has been at the very least), guarantees him some money and gives him the chance to finish out his career where he started.

I think you front load a very incentive based contract that pays him what he's worth if he's able to stay healthy and play.

If they're franchising him they better by gum sign him before OTAs. Because he's already said he wont be here more than what he has to be if they don't sign him.

And when a guy says repeatedly don't franchise him they've already severely hamstrung the negotiations. You either make a good faith respectful offer, or you trade him. This screw around with the contract that ignores his wishes because "it's a business" and "the inmates don't run the asylum" is cutting the team's nose to spite their face.

If you can't craft a contract that pleases your player - a really nice player- and protects your interest - what the living dickens kind of overpaid professionals are you???

There are risks but there are options. He's worth the risk and you can pay the man if it's conditional.

This is why Tua's agent (Leigh Steinberg?) made a public point of saying that he really hopes the Bengals sign Burrow. Because the story never changes. The FO has a reputation of signing good no risk players to second contracts, but has a long history of overplaying the leverage card instead of getting creative, correctly assessing complex situations and putting a dad gum team together to support the franchise QB you've been waiting for and are about to get. That after 4 miserable years of failing to get the job done.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 04:21 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I’ll just disagree with you. What are the odds that he comes close to his best years of production? I think the odds are much better that he won’t and that’s not even factoring in his health which is now extremely questionable.

Geno just had one of the worst years of his career after we paid him. And they’re even talking about cutting back his snaps now. You still do that deal all day. You have to overpay to get good players. Simple as that.

Reply/Quote
I hear a lot of chiming that AJ is on the downside of his career. Some of the best ever have played well beyond 32 and been absolutely unstoppable.

Jerry Rice retired at age 42. AJ has a lot left to give before I'd wipe him off of the too old to invest in stage.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 05:56 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: I hear a lot of chiming that AJ is on the downside of his career. Some of the best ever have played well beyond 32 and been absolutely unstoppable.

Jerry Rice retired at age 42. AJ has a lot left to give before I'd wipe him off of the too old to invest in stage.

Agreed. Edelman is still playing at a high level, and he’s been injured even more than AJ.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 04:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yep. It’s also a risk to only give your rookie QB one good WR in Boyd. Even if we draft one you can’t count on a rookie WR to light it up his first season.

True, even more so cause Ross has troubles staying healthy.

(03-02-2020, 04:21 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I’ll just disagree with you. What are the odds that he comes close to his best years of production? I think the odds are much better that he won’t and that’s not even factoring in his health which is now extremely questionable.

What are the odds we get a WR in this Draft as good as AJ Green? I would say pretty damn low even in this deep WR class.
Reply/Quote
makes since right now... This gives them more time for the CBA to be ironed out which is delaying their extentions I think
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 07:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What are the odds we get a WR in this Draft as good as AJ Green? I would say pretty damn low even in this deep WR class.

We don't have a clue how good Green is right now.

He will be 32 this year and he has one catch in his last 24 games.  We might be able to get someone as good as him in the third round or later.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 07:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We don't have a clue how good Green is right now. We might be able to get someone as good as him in the third round or later.

That is a stretch.

I also think the people giving Green the tag would know more about how good AJ Green is right now than we would.
Reply/Quote
Do you think a $60 million 3 year deal with a 4th option riddled with incentives might work? It would make him one of the highest paid WRs in the NFL and it is only $1.5 million above a franchise tag and locks him in for 4 years. I know he has had recent injury issues but, if healthy and motivated, he could prove to continue to be a top tier WR.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 08:20 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Do you think a $60 million 3 year deal with a 4th option riddled with incentives might work? It would make him one of the highest paid WRs in the NFL and it is only $1.5 million above a franchise tag and locks him in for 4 years. I know he has had recent injury issues but, if healthy and motivated, he could prove to continue to be a top tier WR.

I think 3 year 45 to 48 million with 25 million guaranteed is his worth right now.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
AJ is a all-time favorite Bengal & I hope he is here to help Burrow. Get him in house & work on a longer/fair to both sides contract.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 04:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Geno just had one of the worst years of his career after we paid him. And they’re even talking about cutting back his snaps now. You still do that deal all day. You have to overpay to get good players. Simple as that.

Geno didn’t have a Geno year but he was still above average. It seems like I read somewhere that Geno played more snaps this year than previously. I could be wrong on that though. I do agree with having to overpay. I’m just not at all sold that AJ is healthy. If he is then it becomes a different story. He hasn’t proven that he’s healthy yet though.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 07:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, even more so cause Ross has troubles staying healthy.

What are the odds we get a WR in this Draft as good as AJ Green? I would say pretty damn low even in this deep WR class.

As good as AJ in his prime or as good as he is now? AJ has a high football IQ and knows the league’s little tricks at the position. I would venture to say that he’s had to have lost a couple of steps of speed though. It mostly comes down to getting on the field and he hasn’t been able to do that for the last couple of years. I’m in the minority on here but I can so see him having lingering foot and ankle problems. I want to be wrong about this. I look at it as a how to build a team and I’d invest that money in better areas. I do get that the Bengals probably won’t do that regardless. I just see AJ’s health as a huge who knows.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 07:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is a stretch.

I also think the people giving Green the tag would know more about how good AJ Green is right now than we would.

Yeah, but Antonio Bryant....
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 09:12 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: As good as AJ in his prime or as good as he is now? AJ has a high football IQ and knows the league’s little tricks at the position. I would venture to say that he’s had to have lost a couple of steps of speed though. It mostly comes down to getting on the field and he hasn’t been able to do that for the last couple of years. I’m in the minority on here but I can so see him having lingering foot and ankle problems. I want to be wrong about this. I look at it as a how to build a team and I’d invest that money in better areas. I do get that the Bengals probably won’t do that regardless. I just see AJ’s health as a huge who knows.

Yeah, cannot disagree. I don't know the future.

We will see Circleville.

(03-02-2020, 09:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, but Antonio Bryant....

Different medical staff...
Reply/Quote