Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trade deadline tomorrow
Rapien makes a great argument for the Bengals to go after Glenn.

https://700wlw.iheart.com/featured/james-rapien/content/2017-10-29-heres-one-trade-the-bengals-should-consider/?cmd=managed_social

Quote:The 3-4 Bengals have plenty of issues. Their offensive line is bad, their quarterback is average and they've struggled to move the ball in over half of their games. 
They aren't going to move on from 'BlAndy' Dalton in the middle of the season. They've already fired an offensive coordinator. What can this team do to get better? They could trade for Buffalo Bills LT Cordy Glenn. Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports says the Bills are open to trading veterans like Glenn.
Glenn would certainly be an upgrade from Cedric Ogbuehi. It would also allow Andre Smith to get more time at right tackle. Anytime a team considers a trade, it has to ask plenty of questions. Let's try to cover every angle of a potential deal. 
1. How good is Glenn? 
Pro Football Focus gives Glenn a 75.0 rating, which would make him the 27th best tackle in the NFL this season. He earned an 80.1 pass blocking grade, while posting a 45.4 run blocking grade. I talk with film expert Joe Goodberry every week on the Locked on Bengals podcast and he said Glenn would be a tremendous upgrade.
2. How does he stack up against what the Bengals have? 
Ogbuehi has a 42.8 rating on Pro Football Focus. They rank him at the 63rd best tackle in the NFL. Fisher has a 46.2 rating, which is good for 55th in the league. Smith is the best of the three with a 48.1 rating. Smith is the 48th best tackle in the NFL according to PFF. Clearly, Glenn would be an upgrade. 
3. Could the Bengals acquire Glenn's contract and stay under the salary cap? 
Anytime I have a salary cap question, I ask my guy Andre Perrotta. I asked him how adding Glenn would impact the Bengals' salary cap? Here was his response:
"Glenn would fit rather easily under the Bengals salary cap not just for the remaining portion of the current 2017 season, but also for the 2018, 2019, and 2020 season for which Glenn is under contract. For the remaining part of the 2017 season, the Bengals cap hit in acquiring him via trade between now and the 10/31 trade deadline would equal = $4,764,706. Glenn has a fully guaranteed $9,250,000 base salary for 2017, but since he is already been paid for 8 weeks of that salary by the Bills, the Bengals (or any other team that acquires him via trade) would only have to pay 9/17ths of the salary (players get paid over 17 weeks; the 16 game weeks plus the bye week).  So 9/17ths of $9,250,000 = $4,764,706. The Bengals can easily afford that for this season, as they are currently sitting on approximately $11,850,000 ($11.85M) in 2017 cap space."
So the Bengals could bring him in and be fine for 2017. What about the future? 
"Glenn is also under contract for the 2018, 2019, and 2020 seasons.  His base salaries for those seasons are as follows: 
2018: $9,250,000 
2019: $7,250,000 
2020: $7,500,000
He also has an annual $2,000,000 Roster Bonus due to him if he is on his team's 90-man roster on the 5th day of each of those league years. So, taking his above-mentioned Base Salaries, and adding the annual Roster Bonuses, his future year cap hits for the Bengals (or for any other team that acquires him via trade) would be as follows: 
Future Year Cap Hits: 2018: $11,250,000 (calculated by adding his $9,250,000 Base Salary + $2,000,000 Roster Bonus) 
2019: $9,250,000 (calculated by adding his $7,250,000 Base Salary + $2,000,000 Roster Bonus)
2020: $9,500,000 (calculated by adding his $7,500,000 Base Salary + $2,000,000 Roster Bonus)."
That is a lot of numbers and information. The short version is simple: The Bengals could trade for Glenn and comfortably fit his salary in without handcuffing them (salary cap wise) this season or in the future. 
4. What would it take to acquire Glenn?
This is an interesting question. No, Buffalo wouldn't trade Glenn for Jeremy Hill. The Bills need speed at wide receiver and will probably want a draft pick for Glenn. He has plenty of value considering he just turned 28-years-old and is under contract through 2020. I think a second round draft pick would get it done. It's a steep price to pay, but at least the Bengals would get a proven commodity to protect Dalton's blind side. 
The Bengals could start by offering a speedy wide receiver like Cody Core and a third round pick. They should have multiple third round picks in 2018 following Kevin Zeitler's departure in free agency. They should get a third round compensatory pick in return after losing Zeitler. 
Dalton, 30, and A.J. Green, 29, are in their prime. Adding Glenn would give the offense a proven left tackle for the rest of their prime years. They whiffed on Ogbuehi and Fisher. It's about time they admit it. 
The Bengals should consider giving up a second round pick and Core if that's what it takes. This team needs a boost. Glenn and the Bengals could be the perfect combination and not only for 2017, but for the next few seasons. 
Ultimately, the Bengals probably won't make a move for Glenn. They like to build in the draft. I looked at the last four Super Bowl champions and none of them were afraid to make a necessary move. The Seahawks, Patriots and Broncos all made trades or big free agent signings to give their team a boost. Heck, New England continues to rid itself of draft picks for proven players. If you're the Bengals, don't you have to (at the very minimum) give the Bills a call? 
The trade deadline is Tuesday at 4p.m. ET. We will keep you informed with the latest rumors and updates.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
IF all it took to get Glenn was Core and a 3rd Round pick...you do that in a second. No way are you getting a guy of Glenn's ability with the 3rd Round pick.

I remember Glenn was popular on the board when he was drafted.
Reply/Quote
Quick edit, Duane Brown got traded for Lane, a 5th and a 2nd next year.
Reply/Quote
Can we have Glenn, Staley and Duane Brown?
Reply/Quote
Would sure breath some life into the team if we made a trade for OL help.

And the fans.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 08:20 PM)Au165 Wrote: Quick edit, Duane Brown got traded for Lane, a 5th and a 2nd next year.

Hmmmmm..I'm confused. .How did Seattle do that. Marvin Lewis has told us that it is basically impossible to trade for a player....Why would Marvin Lie to the fans?!
Reply/Quote
Seahawks taking care of their QB...and their issues weren't as bad as ours.

If we don't make a move, I'd pull a Palmer this offseason if I were Dalton.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Cordy Glenn for a makes alot of sense for the Bengals this season and in thr future. Glenn and Andre Smith would allow them to focus on the interior offensive line in the draft.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Wether the Bengals like it or not there going to have to make a move in free agency or via trade to improve their Offensive line. Might as well start now.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Uh, Staley suffered a broken bone and is likely done for the season....
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 09:02 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Wether the Bengals like it or not there going to have to make a move in free agency or via trade to improve their Offensive line. Might as well start now.

Nope. The offensive line is fine. We just need to play better.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 08:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Seahawks taking care of their QB...and their issues weren't as bad as ours.

Sadly ML ignores just how bad this OL is and the line coach.

We the fans are sick of this team never doing something like Seattle just did to get better immediately

I have 3 season tickets in the cub section. The protests and this team failure to try and win has this guy ready to dump my tickets and the $6000 I spend yearly at the stadium
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 08:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Seahawks taking care of their QB...and their issues weren't as bad as ours.

Teams with less cap space than us trading for large salaries...and we're saving cap space for...the future.

Well the future from 3 years ago is sacking Andy Dalton now.

We're in a league with a lot of good GM's/Owners. We just can't compete. We'll have success from time to time...but it won't be sustained until things change.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 09:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Teams with less cap space than us trading for large salaries...and we're saving cap space for...the future.

I agree with you and others, this owner and this team are not motivated to go all in to win now.

Depressing as a fan

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Garappolo to the 9ers for a 2nd lmaooo
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 09:22 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Garappolo to the 9ers for a 2nd lmaooo

Shocking.

winless team grabs a QB for now and the future when teams like the Jags sit on their hands.

Crazy

Some teams want to win and others don't

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 09:18 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Sadly ML ignores just how bad this OL is and the line coach.

We the fans are sick of this team never doing something like Seattle just did to get better immediately

I have 3 season tickets in the cub section. The protests and this team failure to try and win has this guy ready to dump my tickets and the $6000 I spend yearly at the stadium

Well, I would say write a letter to Mike Brown, but we all know how that goes. 

(10-30-2017, 09:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Teams with less cap space than us trading for large salaries...and we're saving cap space for...the future.

We're in a league with a lot of good GM's/Owners. We just can't compete. We'll have success from time to time...but it won't be sustained until things change.

Nately summed it up well recently. Our ceiling is what we saw from 2011-2015 (no playoff wins) and our basement is probably the 90's.

Either way, the Bengals mode of operation will remain unchanged.

(10-30-2017, 09:22 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Garappolo to the 9ers for a 2nd lmaooo

Hmm. I was starting to believe they'd hold him for after Brady retired.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 09:27 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Shocking.

winless team grabs a QB for now and the future when teams like the Jags sit on their hands.

Crazy

Some teams want to win and others don't

The Jaguars did trade for Dareus.
Reply/Quote
Honestly, our owner/GM is the worst in professional sports, our head coach says it's almost impossible to trade players, and our illustrious OLine coach is the one who hand picked 3/5 of our current worst-in-the-league OLine. I doubt any of those 3 are even thinking about looking into potential trades to upgrade our OLine. We have to keep our almost $13m in cap space for reasons. Plus, the only thing they value as high as or even potentially higher than cheap draft picks are even cheaper compensatory draft picks!

Garrapolo went for a second and we're holding out for at least a 1st on McCarron. With his logic, Brown probably wants a 1st for Hill as well.
Reply/Quote
Just like that the rich get richer the patriots trade their backup for essentially a first round pick. You know he will go to San Francisco and play like he's never seen a football. Then the Texans trade an o-line player we could of really used to Seattle. Meanwhile in bengal land mike brown is turning the heat down to conserve his electric bill. I wish he would finally retire and give the team to his daughter so maybe there could be a little hope for us.
Reply/Quote